PDA

View Full Version : When will Pop realize the obvious?

MaNu4Tres
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
And implement Splitter into the rotation @15-20 minutes a night?

A. When it's too late, wasting perhaps the last opportunity to realistically fight for a championship.

B. At the start of playoffs, CIA Pop :hat

C. Irrelevant, Pop is always right. Bonner/Blair combo spreads the floor offensively. At the same time, both of their feelings stay in good spirits.

D. Don't care if we ever win again. I'm content with living in the past and never placing blame on the coach. After all, he did carry the best power forward in the game to four championships.

Mugen
04-05-2011, 07:46 PM
which one is the equivalent of "Pop is a Faggot"?

Put me down for 4 of those.

timtonymanu
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

This

urunobili
04-05-2011, 07:47 PM
whoever has the ball and sees Bonner says: "im getting over this scrub...: :pctoss

Warlord23
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM

4>0rings
04-05-2011, 07:49 PM

Spursmania
04-05-2011, 07:54 PM
Pop will never learn.

He is a stubborn sob who really thinks Bonner is helping Duncan...:lol

Spursmania
04-05-2011, 07:55 PM
whoever has the ball and sees Bonner says: "im getting over this scrub...: :pctoss

Sad but true:depressed

BOHOLANO#21
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Fuckin popovich has replaced his manlove from finley to bonner..we can't do anything about it unless bonner demands trade....

benefactor
04-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Bonner...20min, 1-8.
Splitter...DNP.

People who still think this team has championship aspirations need to take their head out of the sand.

Man In Black
04-05-2011, 08:18 PM
I choose CIA...I hope.

SenorSpur
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
There's obviously no excuse for it. Still, even in the darkest of Bonner suckiness, Pop manages to find a silver lining. He was recently gushing over his recent double-digit rebound effort - which may have been his first this season. Meanwhile, Splitter has been doing more with less minutes and can't get any consistent action.

I sometimes wonder why they ever brought him over to begin with.

And I agree with Benefactor. There is nothing to suggest that THIS team has any real possibilities of winning a title. If they ever did, those hopes died when Pop elected to chain Splitter to the bench.

Man In Black
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Classic a Spurs fan behind the bench wearing a long sleeve T with the words" FREE TIAGO" :)

TiMMeH*faN*frOmNY
04-05-2011, 08:39 PM

A. When it's too late, wasting perhaps the last opportunity to realistically fight for a championship.

C. Irrelevant, Pop is always right. Bonner/Blair combo spreads the floor offensively. At the same time, both of their feelings stay in good spirits.

D. Don't care if we ever win again. I'm content with living in the past and never placing blame on the coach. After all, he did carry the best power forward in the game to four championships.

When will you realize Pop doesnt give two shits what we think, he's going to continue to do what he feels is best

Chomag
04-05-2011, 08:40 PM
I choose CIA...I hope.
that would be my choice as well a few years ago, but not anymore.

Spursmania
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I wish somebody would sell "Free Tiago" t-shirts right outside the AT & T center during game days. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

pad300
04-05-2011, 08:43 PM
CIA
Caught In the Act
Clueless Idiot Agency
Communist Infiltration Attempt

Capt Bringdown
04-05-2011, 08:46 PM
Pop's "obvious" is that 3-point shooting trumps defense and rebounding.

TampaDude
04-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Note to Pop: You play Splitter, you win games.

silverblk mystix
04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Pop sucking the joy out of spurs wins by doing it the hard way and not seeing the obvious...

Anyone who thinks the spurs way to a title includes 20-30 minutes of Bonner per game is delusional.

ElNono
04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
:pop: "It's not fair to the team"

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Old coaches don't "learn" they teach.

thOOdee
04-05-2011, 11:20 PM

Holden_Caulfield
04-05-2011, 11:44 PM
i remember the game pop got kicked out. i still saw bonner+blair line up. hmmmm

Amuseddaysleeper
04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Bonner...20min, 1-8.
Splitter...DNP.

People who still think this team has championship aspirations need to take their head out of the sand.

Maybe they want to keep Pop company.

TD 21
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Bonner...20min, 1-8.
Splitter...DNP.

This is no Bonner defense, because he's been horrible for a while (and it goes beyond the three-point shooting slump). But why does Blair generally escape criticism? As if he's played well and there's reason for his spot to be solidified.

At least with Bonner, I understand the logic of playing him. But with Blair, tell me what he brings that Splitter doesn't? Sure, he's a better rebounder, but the gap has shrunk considerably in that area as the season has wore on. If he can't win that category in a landslide, then there is no argument whatsoever for him to play ahead of Splitter.

'Tres, the answer to your question is none of the above. By the off chance he realizes it (because apparently it's rocket science), he won't act on it this season. It's obvious. Not a massive slump/defensive slide did it, neither did Blair/Bonner struggling simultaneously/being sieves defensively, nor did Splitter playing well during all of this. So if none of that solidified his spot in the rotation, nothing short of an injury will (and if it's Bonner who succumbs to injury, I wouldn't put it past him to insert Novak into the rotation).

duncan228
04-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Pop has to have analysts proving that bonner/blair is awful,right?

Dunno what he thinks privately. Publicly, says it's fine.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2011, 12:22 AM
i remember the game pop got kicked out. i still saw bonner+blair line up. hmmmm

You realize that the assistant coaches work for Pop, and that he was likely going to watch the remainder of the game on TV from the locker room, right? :lol

toki9
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
Maybe tomorrow night against Sacto? Given the minutes played by Duncan and Dice tonight, maybe he'll even sit Duncan altogether and start Splits?

Obstructed_View
04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Isn't this the time of year the Spurs are supposed to be getting their rotation established? This playing fast and loose with the lineups at the end of the season just smacks of trying to be too cute.

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Isn't this the time of year the Spurs are supposed to be getting their rotation established? This playing fast and loose with the lineups at the end of the season just smacks of trying to be too cute.

It was set until Duncan went down. Now Splitter might have him thinking a bit and rightfully so.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
It was set until Duncan went down. Now Splitter might have him thinking a bit and rightfully so.

Sitting guys on back to backs is in no way setting a rotation. He's obviously not doing much thinking if Splitter got a DNP.

Mugen
04-06-2011, 12:48 AM

:lol Pop doesn't give a shit about playing Splitter.

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM

Yeah. im sure that's it. He just doesn't "give a shit"

Mugen
04-06-2011, 12:52 AM

Pretty much. No other rational explanation for it.

Do you have one?

Sean Cagney
04-06-2011, 01:11 AM
This is no Bonner defense, because he's been horrible for a while (and it goes beyond the three-point shooting slump). But why does Blair generally escape criticism? As if he's played well and there's reason for his spot to be solidified.

At least with Bonner, I understand the logic of playing him. ).

Ehhhhhhhhh I don't even see that there lately, no reason at all to play him alot. He is just what he is, a horrible player who shoots good early on, but later on sucks and does notta else. He hit 3 vs a non playoff team yes, but playoff teams? HAHHAHHAHA he sucks.

TD 21
04-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Ehhhhhhhhh I don't even see that there lately, no reason at all to play him alot. He is just what he is, a horrible player who shoots good early on, but later on sucks and does notta else. He hit 3 vs a non playoff team yes, but playoff teams? HAHHAHHAHA he sucks.

I'm not necessarily advocating Bonner over Blair here, just saying I could see Pop's logic for having Bonner in the rotation. I don't understand the logic for Blair over Splitter, though.

Sean Cagney
04-06-2011, 01:21 AM
I'm not necessarily advocating Bonner over Blair here, just saying I could see Pop's logic for having Bonner in the rotation. I don't understand the logic for Blair over Splitter, though.

I agree there, but there is sure as hell no reason to play BONNER and BLAIR TOGETHER! NONE! NONE at all.

FoxPerez
04-06-2011, 01:24 AM
I think a lot would be solved if Bonner was ordered never allowed to dribble the ball more than twice before giving it up. Does anything good EVER happen when he drives to the basket?

Splits
04-06-2011, 01:25 AM

Do you have one?

Yes: Splitter is garbage. We're 0-4 when he starts. There is no way in hell any NBA coach would put him on the floor in the 4th quarter of important games when he provides no offense other than garbage put backs and is a hack-a-Splitter liability with his 54% FT shooting.

toki9
04-06-2011, 01:25 AM

I don't think there's logic involved. Just old-fashioned stubbornness and loyalty...

Mugen
04-06-2011, 01:30 AM
Yes: Splitter is garbage. We're 0-4 when he starts. There is no way in hell any NBA coach would put him on the floor in the 4th quarter of important games when he provides no offense other than garbage put backs and is a hack-a-Splitter liability with his 54% FT shooting.

:lmao welcome back awktalk with your shit takes.

Any legit poster want to provide a rational explanation for why Tiago doesn't get playing time?

DMC
04-06-2011, 01:33 AM

He's not garbage, far from it. Based on your logic, Tim is responsible for 75% of the losses. I don't think anyone here is saying Splitter over Tim. Keep it in context.

SenorSpur
04-06-2011, 01:38 AM
I'm not necessarily advocating Bonner over Blair here, just saying I could see Pop's logic for having Bonner in the rotation.

Not if he's clanging 3-pointers, the way that he's been the past month. The guys is a matador on defense and gets attacked and exploited by the opposition. Like Finley before him, if he's not hitting his outside shot, he provides nothing but diminishing returns. I see no logic for playing him under those circumstances.

toki9
04-06-2011, 01:42 AM
:lmao welcome back awktalk with your shit takes.

Any legit poster want to provide a rational explanation for why Tiago doesn't get playing time?

Maybe Pop feels like Splitter is more capable of dealing with erratic playing time than Blair...so he's trying to build up Blair's confidence by playing him...Pop's comment as quoted by McD tonight ('Asked after Tuesday’s game how he thought Blair was handling his new role, coach Gregg Popovich chose his words carefully. “DeJuan’s working at it,” he said.') is very interesting. Seems to indicate a mixture of awareness and frustration. He doesn't want to damage Blair's mental game, and yet is growing tired of Blair not being able to break through. Maybe Pop's about to reach the proverbial tipping point when it comes to Blair's PT.

TampaDude
04-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Bonner by himself is not too bad, because he can shoot the 3.

Blair by himself is not too bad, because he's a scrappy rebounder.

Bonner and Blair on the court together is what spells disaster.

There's just something about playing the two of them together that sucks.

Unless we're up by 20+ late in the 4th quarter, DON'T DO IT, POP!!! :lol

howbouthemspurs
04-06-2011, 10:00 AM
You guys are stupid.. Pop knows what he's doing!

toki9
04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Even Hollinger has noticed Blair's dropoff since being pulled from starting line up:

"Much as in the recent skid, San Antonio bench players besides Hill continue to underwhelm. Matt Bonner and Gary Neal combined to shoot 1-for-10, while recently demoted starter DeJuan Blair continued his uneven play as a reserve by getting rim-checked on an open dunk attempt to end the third quarter."

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/27127/spurs-likely-save-wests-top-seed-in-atlanta

ManuBalboa
04-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Pop has 4 rings and millions of dollars. Dude quit caring about championships long ago.

Mugen
04-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Do you have one?

Didn't think so.

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Didn't think so.

:lmao you're fascination with me is disturbing. You and rocketfanyao should get together and talk about the big bad designatedt and how he is a "bonner supporter' :cry :cry

How the fuck would I know Pops reason for not playing Tiago? Everybody on this board speculates all day long but nobody really knows the reasons why lol.

What do you mean "You didn't think so"? At first I thought you were joking but the fact that you are implying that the reason Tiago isn't playing is because Pop doesn't "give a shit" about this team or Tiago is :lmao

manufor3
04-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I think a lot would be solved if Bonner was ordered never allowed to dribble the ball more than twice before giving it up. Does anything good EVER happen when he drives to the basket?

it sets up the other spurs for a rebound?

Mugen
04-06-2011, 09:51 PM
What do you mean "You didn't think so"? At first I thought you were joking but the fact that you are implying that the reason Tiago isn't playing is because Pop doesn't "give a shit" about this team or Tiago is :lmao

i wish i could be in the same state of denial. :depressed

SA210
04-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Bonner 19 min 3 pts 4 reb 2 stl
Splitter 3 min 4 pts 2 reb 1 stl

ChumpDumper
04-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Bonner 19 min 3 pts 4 reb 2 stl
Splitter 3 min 4 pts 2 reb 1 stlJohn Edwards lost.

PÒÓCH
04-06-2011, 09:58 PM
TIAGO = USLESS ROOKIE
http://static.cdn.masjo.com/movie/images/the-rookie-.jpg

SA210
04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
John Edwards lost.

And Im glad i didn't vote for the current guy. :hat

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
i wish i could be in the same state of denial. :depressed

I'm in denial? Do you understand what you are implying? You are saying that Pop doesn't give a shit about this team and doesn't give a shit about Tiago, therefore isn't giving him minutes :lmao The same guy who helped this franchise win 4 championships and turn it into the most successful franchise over the past decade. Whatever Pops reasons are for not playing Splitter might contradict your and many others beliefs but to indicate that Pop doesn't give a shit about this team or winning is beyond retarded. :lol I'm in denial....

Mugen
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm in denial? Do you understand what you are implying? You are saying that Pop doesn't give a shit about this team and doesn't give a shit about Tiago, therefore isn't giving him minutes :lmao The same guy who helped this franchise win 4 championships and turn it into the most successful franchise over the past decade. Whatever Pops reasons are for not playing Splitter might contradict your and many others beliefs but to indicate that Pop doesn't give a shit about this team or winning is beyond retarded. :lol I'm in denial....

Could have saved a lot of words and just gone with...

:pop: "4 Rings Faggot"

BRs.Ganso
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM
E. When Spurs start with 0-2 against Lakers.

:lol:flag:

MaNu4Tres
04-17-2011, 04:34 PM
E. When Spurs start with 0-2 against Memphis.

:lol:flag:

fify

Chomag
04-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Must have not done well in practice.

objective
when they're 1-3.

Then next training camp Pop will declare Splitter his favorite player.

Manu_Ginobili

BLA-BLA-BLA!!!

WHY Splitter did NOT play??? Pop was [again] playing a FOOL!!!

WHY Novak did not play at least 5 minutes - while Bonner, Neal, and Hill were struggling from 3s, Novak could've hit couple of 3s - Pop, here is YOUR ball game right there, you f. MORRON [excuse my French!]; again, STUPID Popovich played damn [excuse my French!]!!! AGAIN and AGAIN he is f*****g us UP[excuse my French!]!!! We are getting killed inside - Gasol and Randolph killed us under the basket - With this ROSTER, if Pop DOES NOT play Splitter, he has ZERO chance beating L.A. and OKC, PERIOD!!! I am sick and tired of this a*****e [excuse my French!] being SO CONSERVATIVE - if Manu does NOT play, and Memphis BIGS are f*****g us in the a**[excuse my French!], WHY NOT TRYING WITH SPLITTER to help Dyes and Timmy??? "F. MORRON" to call Pop in THIS GAME, NOTHING more TO BE SAID...Pop completely outplayed by Memphis' coaches in this one...Very sad!!!

The Truth #6
04-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Bonner raining those two 3s today probably makes Pop feel vindicated for playing Bonner. So though the team got abused down low again, I think there's (sadly) less chance Tiago will play next game.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-17-2011, 05:34 PM
ill say it, im just hoping we hit the lottery and matt bonner has career ending injury yea i said it. pop has lost his mind and should not be trusted as a coach to win championships. well we were number 1 and if we get knocked out hopefully they'll put some pressure on pop. get him out of here with his worthless lineups

ChumpDumper
04-17-2011, 05:41 PM
spurfan is classy

maddnezz
04-17-2011, 05:42 PM
spurfan is classy:lol

http://oi52.tinypic.com/11cbfhd.jpg

SpurOutofTownFan
04-17-2011, 06:39 PM
A couple pretty telling things:

1. The Spurs used to dominate at clutch times against these type of teams.

2. I don't remember when was the last time a team in a playoff setting was able to score over 55% from the field against the Spurs (and 60% 3pts)

DAF86
04-17-2011, 08:18 PM

That's the key, the Spurs play with a huge disadvantage with that frontcourt, we played better when McDyess came of the bench and he was the one pairing with Matt. Benching Dice wouldn't be my choice though, I would give Blair minutes to Splitter.

Brazil
04-17-2011, 08:26 PM

post of the night

The Truth #6
04-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I think he has too much ammonia in the brain. Every year the same mistake. I suppose this motivates the players to improve over the Summer, but still...

pjjrfan
04-17-2011, 09:57 PM
This is a little different than what happened in 09, when Pop sat Hill in the first round, he had Hill in the rotation the whole season, then mysteriously with like 15 games to go decided that Mason was a better option as the backup pt totally screwing up the chemistry of that team. this season though he hasn't played Splitter much and certainly not enough to give him substantial minutes in the playoffs. Although I agree that Splitters size and mobility would be a huge plus for our defense and hopes for a championship, I jus don't see him coming in on a regular basis. Pop pretty much set in moton his playoff benching by not giving him a chance to find a niche in this teams rotation.

GrandeDavid
04-17-2011, 10:07 PM

I' m gonna go with A. and C.

TDMVPDPOY
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM

greg who? the same clown who didnt play ghill in his rookie year against the mavs in the playoffs, which costs us the series, then he decides to play him the following year and spurs get past the mavs?

wheres that swagger from the regular season all gone too?

Obstructed_View
04-17-2011, 10:23 PM
greg who? the same clown who didnt play ghill in his rookie year against the mavs in the playoffs, which costs us the series, then he decides to play him the following year and spurs get past the mavs?

Funny, that first paragraph works if you also substitute "Oberto" for "GHill" and substitute "win a title" for "get past the mavs".

Nathan89
04-17-2011, 10:33 PM
It's obvious that Blair can't play against teams with two offensive threats. The Lakers have that and that is why I wanted Splitter to play all year. Little did I know the Grizz have that to.

Every time I tell my bro that Splitter should be getting playing time he says " if he was good then Pop would play him". I just want Pop play Splitter and as a result of that the Spurs start dominating. Just want to be able to say I told you so and for my favorite team to perform up to their potential.

This shit is just getting frustrating. We need defense Pop. Get that through you f'ing head.

Mugen
04-17-2011, 10:41 PM
post of the night

I posted that like 3 weeks ago and it still holds true today. :depressed

Mugen
04-17-2011, 10:43 PM

lol don't bother. Pop could bang DesignatedT's chick and he'd still find a way to spin it to make Pop look good.

dbestpro
04-17-2011, 10:47 PM
I didn't even watch the game because it is just too obvious that the Spurs fate is sealed under the Pop led tandem of Blair and Bonner.

It is simply too late for Splitter to learn how to play with Duncan and make a difference.

MaNu4Tres
04-23-2011, 09:52 PM
So I'm leaning towards A.

pjjrfan
04-23-2011, 09:57 PM
This series is not over by a long shot, with Antonio down he should bring in Splitter for some minutes if they can grind out a win on Monday, maybe Splitter can get comfortable enough to contribute and replace Blair in the lineup, but don't expect any consistent play from Splitter, Pop made sure of that by using him sporadically throughout the season.