PDA

View Full Version : Manu needs to sit out during clutch time

TMTTRIO
04-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Lately he's been horrible during clutch situations. He's been chucking up impossible 3's while there's still time to get a better play and then on the very next possession he looses the ball:depressed.

Martin R
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
yes, Manu sucks....

carina_gino20
04-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Sorry, but that is an incredibly myopic view. While his shot selection and decision making has been questionable at times, he still has that full package that makes him perfect for clutch time. He can score in a variety of ways, is usually clutch from the stripe, and can create for his teammates.

He's Manu Ginobili.

DMC
04-05-2011, 08:54 PM
I will take Manu over anyone else on the team in crunch time.

Mel_13
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
KFU-wXsRhic

ElNono
04-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Who are you going to give it to, that choker Tony Parker? :rolleyes

Spursmania
04-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Who are you going to give it to, that choker Tony Parker? :rolleyes

Ducks in 4..3..2..1

roycrikside
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Lately he's been horrible during clutch situations. He's been chucking up impossible 3's while there's still time to get a better play and then on the very next possession he looses the ball:depressed.

Didn't he have 12 points in the 4th? It never fails, people who bash Manu not making the perfect play at the end of the game never seem to notice that was usually the Spurs best or second-best player for the first 47 minutes. Like the Portland game, you ripped on Manu and it never occurred to you that the reason they were up six was because of his back-to-back threes and without him they would've lost by 20.

If you're too fucking stupid to understand the game then at least learn to comprehend a box score. I mean really, all I ask for is one or the other. So tired of moron Spurs fans.

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
He definitely doesn't/isn't going to sit during crunch time but he definitely needs to play better during crunch time.

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
He definitely doesn't/isn't going to sit during crunch time but he definitely needs to play better during crunch time.
Name one person on any team who doesn't need to play better during crunch time.

Bill_Brasky
04-05-2011, 09:35 PM

Yup, everyone knows he's gonna touch the ball in crunch time....I'd just like to see a good play run/see him dish it for once instead of taking the stepback jumper.

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Name one person on any team who doesn't need to play better during crunch time.

Ok.. he needs to play A LOT better.

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Ok.. he needs to play A LOT better.

The Spurs didn't lose 6 games in a row because Manu wasn't playing well in crunch time. There are plenty of other reasons that come before that one.

DontStopBelieving
04-05-2011, 10:16 PM
totally..

duncan228
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece and more quotes.

Manu finds fourth-quarter mojo (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/manu-finds-fourth-quarter-mojo/)
Jeff McDonald

...The key moment came at the 9:05 mark, when Damien Wilkins hand-checked Ginobili at the top of the arc, putting the Spurs in the bonus for the rest of the night. Wilkins might as well have waved a red cape in front of a bull.

Emboldened, Ginobili began attacking the rim, finding layups and, when he didn’t, free throws.

“I saw they were in the bonus pretty quick,” said Ginobili, who was 6 for 6 from the line in the fourth. “I tried to take profit of it.”

...At a timeout with 2:56 to play and the Spurs up 10, someone began rehashing their fourth-quarter not-so-greatest hits.

“We said, ‘We can’t mess this one up, too,’” Ginobili said. “We had to finish strong.”

After doing just that, the Spurs — from Popovich down — took pains to reiterate they were not yet in playoff form. There are still edges to sharpen, questions to answer.

“We’re optimistic,” Ginobili said. “We believe we have a shot. But I don’t feel like we’re playing our best basketball right now.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/manu-finds-fourth-quarter-mojo/

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 11:21 PM
The Spurs didn't lose 6 games in a row because Manu wasn't playing well in crunch time. There are plenty of other reasons that come before that one.

:lol what? When did I every imply that lmao. Manu needs to play better in crunch time... its a fact. Wtf are you talking about? He has been near horrible down the stretch the last 2 weeks, in fact a lot of the team has but him more importantly since he is our "closer".

Doctor J
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Didn't he have 12 points in the 4th? It never fails, people who bash Manu not making the perfect play at the end of the game never seem to notice that was usually the Spurs best or second-best player for the first 47 minutes. Like the Portland game, you ripped on Manu and it never occurred to you that the reason they were up six was because of his back-to-back threes and without him they would've lost by 20.

If you're too fucking stupid to understand the game then at least learn to comprehend a box score. I mean really, all I ask for is one or the other. So tired of moron Spurs fans.

This! :toast

ALVAREZ6
04-05-2011, 11:50 PM
He doesn't need to sit, but Pop needs to rip him a new one about his stupid ass shot selection. NO MORE CHUCKED STEPBACK THREES, PLEASE! Especially in crunch time.

crc21209
04-05-2011, 11:51 PM
:lol At sitting Manu in the clutch. Has he sucked the past week or so in clutch time situations? Sure. But Manu was the reason the Spurs got the lead and held onto it in the 4th to begin with anyway...

chazley
04-06-2011, 02:29 AM
For awhile, I've believed Tony should handle the ball in clutch situations. Manu is a gifted passer, but he almost always looks to shoot at the end of games. Tony is able to break down defenses with his penetration almost at will, and his ability to find the open man off penetration cannot be matched by Manu. I actually also think Tony is better at getting off his own shot than Manu. They're both very good options, but I'd like to at least get a taste of what Tony can do. There are some games in my recent memory including last year where he was very very clutch. Last year vs. Dallas sticks out.

Holden_Caulfield
04-06-2011, 02:58 AM
he's just tired.

chazley
04-06-2011, 03:48 AM
he's just tired.

If you can't dig deep during crunch time, then you need to GTFO.

He ain't tired when it counts, trust me. You can question alot of things about Manu, but something you can never question is the man's heart.

Fireball
04-06-2011, 05:28 AM
Manu of course should not sit on the bench in clutch situations ... but there should be options to run for Tony at the end of games too ... especially when his jumper was money like last night

A Haze
04-06-2011, 07:16 AM
I think some of you guys are pretty far off base. In general he's known as one of the best clutch players in the league. According to 82games.com he has the 13th best point production in the entire NBA during close "clutch" type situations, way ahead of any other Spurs players.

http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM

During these situations he shoots a very respectable .426 and gets to the line at the eighth highest frequency in the league, where he shoots 92%. His clutch FG% is also higher than the previous two years, both in the .39's.

And as far as him handling it versus Parker (.364), they have similar clutch minutes played, but Manu scores twice as many points and gets to the line more than twice as often. Since his number gets called a lot, there's a little chicken/egg effect, but in general his impressive stats show why Pop trusts him so much.

I don't know how any of you can honestly think he sucks or not trust him during crunch time. When Manu joins the Hall of Fame he will be known for four things, his ridiculous individual winning percentage, bringing the Eurostep, his aggressive style of play, and his performance in the clutch.

silverblackfan
04-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Yup, everyone knows he's gonna touch the ball in crunch time....I'd just like to see a good play run/see him dish it for once instead of taking the stepback jumper.

I love it when Manu gets the ball in crunch time, because normally he is the best player to handle the ball. That said, I would love to see a few dishes to Tony, Tim, Neal or even Jefferson.
(Yes, yes, Jefferson. I seem to remember him doing pretty well at set up shots in the 4th quarter all year long.)

Budkin
04-06-2011, 07:52 AM

I think Manu does need to be in games at the end. He's a great playmaker and scorer in general and gives us so many options. That being said, his poor play was responsible for some key moments in our meltdowns, like the costliest turnover in the game of that Portland debacle.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 08:07 AM
What a stupid fucking thread.

urunobili
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
and you need to :stfu

Cry Havoc
04-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Regular season thread.

howbouthemspurs
04-06-2011, 10:02 AM
I would trust Manu with the ball more than any other player..... even more than Jordan!

temujin
04-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Rather, I'd play Manu ONLY in clutch time.

What else is he there for?

itsamanuthree
04-06-2011, 11:04 AM
For awhile, I've believed Tony should handle the ball in clutch situations. Manu is a gifted passer, but he almost always looks to shoot at the end of games. Tony is able to break down defenses with his penetration almost at will, and his ability to find the open man off penetration cannot be matched by Manu. I actually also think Tony is better at getting off his own shot than Manu. They're both very good options, but I'd like to at least get a taste of what Tony can do. There are some games in my recent memory including last year where he was very very clutch. Last year vs. Dallas sticks out.

He taught Tony how to find the open man off penetretion. If Manu shoots so much in crunch time, that is because the team trusts him and because the opposition defense doesn't give him a better option. Unless Parker is absolutely on fire, I'd always prefer the player with more brains to have the ball in crunch time.

DMC
04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I would trust Manu with the ball more than any other player..... even more than Jordan!
These days, you bet!

DMC
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I think Manu does need to be in games at the end. He's a great playmaker and scorer in general and gives us so many options. That being said, his poor play was responsible for some key moments in our meltdowns, like the costliest turnover in the game of that Portland debacle.

With that I agree totally. My point was that there are plenty of other factors involved that should be considered first. Fix those, Manu will be fine.

gospursgojas
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
He doesn't need to sit, but Pop needs to rip him a new one about his stupid ass shot selection. NO MORE CHUCKED STEPBACK THREES, PLEASE! Especially in crunch time.

spurs50_
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Yea , sit Manu because all we need are the 5 PTs from Jefferson to seal a win.