PDA

View Full Version : You guys ain't no damn coaches

zocool16
04-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Threads like "when will Popovich realize the obvious?" boggle my mind. Do some of you really know you think you know better than Gregg freakin' Popovich? Get out of town. I understand your frustration with Bonner is growing, but there must be a reason as to why Popovich is sticking with him and not playing Tiago as much.

With that being said, I have to say that I don't know what Pop's reason is ... it puzzles me lol.

But Pop is the coach and he's won four titles and whatever else you want to add out of his resume. So I'll stick with his seemingly-delirious game plan.

Rant over.

ElNono
04-05-2011, 09:15 PM
How do you know I'm not a coach?

I could easily be Tom Thibodeau and you wouldn't know better...

TampaDude
04-05-2011, 09:16 PM
Pop is a great coach, no doubt, but I swear sometimes he's drunk.

ElNono
Okay, I'm not Thibodeau, but you get the point... :lol

TE
Threads like "when will Popovich realize the obvious?" boggle my mind. Do some of you really know you think you know better than Gregg freakin' Popovich? Get out of town. I understand your frustration with Bonner is growing, but there must be a reason as to why Popovich is sticking with him and not playing Tiago as much.

With that being said, I have to say that I don't know what Pop's reason is ... it puzzles me lol.

But Pop is the coach and he's won four titles and whatever else you want to add out of his resume. So I'll stick with his seemingly-delirious game plan.

Rant over.

Ranting is one of the components for this messageboard. You are reaching too much buddy.

Chomag
04-05-2011, 09:17 PM
So you can rant but those that don't go along with your view can't? ok.

NRHector
04-05-2011, 09:20 PM
He won 4 titles with different players and younger players so don't bring the 4titles discussion

silverblk mystix
04-05-2011, 09:21 PM

Rant over.

Thinking Bonner over Tiago gives you a better chance at a title is the definition of a deluded spurs fan.

Ask ANY opponents teams' fans if they prefer Bonner over Splitter and their answers will give you an idea how stupid Pop is...

Pop has choked for going on four years now...if he does it again this season...what will be the excuse? (4 rings?)

Chomag
04-05-2011, 09:22 PM
He won 4 titles with different players and younger players so don't bring the 4titles discussion

And with one of the best pf/C ever to play in the NBA in his "prime" might have helped a tad.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
His plan is destined to fail. It's unfortunate because this roster is pretty damn stacked.

Are you willing to back your faith in Popovich up with some cash? I'll definitely take that bet.

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Decent troll... not great but decent.

NRHector
04-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Thinking Bonner over Tiago gives you a better chance at a title is the definition of a deluded spurs fan.

Ask ANY opponents teams' fans if they prefer Bonner over Splitter and their answers will give you an idea how stupid Pop is...

Pop has choked for going on four years now...if he does it again this season...what will be the excuse? (4 rings?)"they made more shots" :lol

weebo
04-05-2011, 09:33 PM
I for one am tired of defending Pop on these boards. Sure, he coached the Spurs to four titles; but let's be honest here, he did so with having two hall of fame big men. Almost any decent coach could have one titles with both DRob and Timmy.

The thing that irks most Spur fans is he is too damn stubborn to see what's good for the team. Sure you can always say that he knows more than the average fan, that he has the pulse of the team more so than anyone, and blah blah blah. Whatever.

None of us here really know if Splitter is the answer to our title hopes. He may or may not be this much is true. But what is for certain is that playing Bonner and Blair together is just begging for an ass kicking.

It's not that I think they can't be important pieces to a championship run. It's playing both together that seriously puts the Spurs at a disadvantage. Neither is really any type of presences inside. Come playoff time every team the Spurs will face will have a formidable front line. That is where the problem lies with most of us fans.

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:42 PM
I for one am tired of defending Pop on these boards. Sure, he coached the Spurs to four titles; but let's be honest here, he did so with having two hall of fame big men. Almost any decent coach could have one titles with both DRob and Timmy.

Not true. He only won 2 with both.

The thing that irks most Spur fans is he is too damn stubborn to see what's good for the team. Sure you can always say that he knows more than the average fan, that he has the pulse of the team more so than anyone, and blah blah blah. Whatever.

4 titles and he doesn't see what's good for them? Best record in the league, etc...

Seriously, other than Tim, Tony and Manu, two of whom are at least 34, what does Pop have? He's got a European player no one wanted (Neal), a couple of rookies (Anderson and Splitter), one who was injured most of the season and one who didn't attend training camp and has seen very limited playing time. He's got Blair and Hill, two players no one else really wanted because Blair has no ACLs and Hill came from a small program. He's got a ready to retire Antonio McDyess and Dick Jefferson. Oh I forgot, he's got Green and Novak too.

There's no way anyone puts these guys on top of the league at this point in the season. How can you say Pop is too stubborn to see what the Spurs need?

None of us here really know if Splitter is the answer to our title hopes. He may or may not be this much is true. But what is for certain is that playing Bonner and Blair together is just begging for an ass kicking.

There are probably a lot of lesser coaches who might agree with you. They will be getting lottery picks this year.

It's not that I think they can't be important pieces to a championship run. It's playing both together that seriously puts the Spurs at a disadvantage. Neither is really any type of presences inside. Come playoff time every team the Spurs will face will have a formidable front line. That is where the problem lies with most of us fans.
It does not matter who the Spurs play. They are going to be hard pressed to beat a big front court 4 of 7 games.

NRHector
04-05-2011, 09:45 PM

4 titles and he doesn't see what's good for them? Best record in the league, etc...

Seriously, other than Tim, Tony and Manu, two of whom are at least 34, what does Pop have? He's got a European player no one wanted (Neal), a couple of rookies (Anderson and Splitter), one who was injured most of the season and one who didn't attend training camp and has seen very limited playing time. He's got Blair and Hill, two players no one else really wanted because Blair has no ACLs and Hill came from a small program. He's got a ready to retire Antonio McDyess and Dick Jefferson. Oh I forgot, he's got Green and Novak too.

There's no way anyone puts these guys on top of the league at this point in the season. How can you say Pop is too stubborn to see what the Spurs need?

There are probably a lot of lesser coaches who might agree with you. They will be getting lottery picks this year.

It does not matter who the Spurs play. They are going to be hard pressed to beat a big front court 4 of 7 games.you made good points there but you forgot the most important point, the "snowman" plays more than 25 min throwing bricks and sorry defense

zocool16
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Haha. I'm just saying, guys.

Some of us just completely overlook the fact that he's a professional, his job is to win games, and he spends countless hours watching film and whatever the hell else coaches do.

But is someone editing tape and not including the minutes that Bonner's on the floor?

Beats the hell out of me why Bonner keeps playing, but more why Tiago doesn't play ...

mingus
04-05-2011, 09:48 PM

Rant over.

Manu, TP, Duncan, Bowen won those titles before Pop. let's get that shit straight. Pop was instrumental in making defense a priority, but those days are long gone now and now he's just a detriment to the team at this point with his no defense bullshit.

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
you made good points there but you forgot the most important point, the "snowman" plays more than 25 min throwing bricks and sorry defense
I hate the snowman too... nothing I can do about it. I like him when he's shooting threes, miss or not.

Chomag
04-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Manu, TP, Duncan, Bowen won those titles before Pop. let's get that shit straight. Pop was instrumental in making defense a priority, but those days are long gone now and now he's just a detriment to the team at this point with his no defense bullshit.

Don't forget it took a Horry and a "in their Prime" Manu, and TD as well

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM

Pop didn't decide to not have defense. He decided that decent defense wasn't going to win a ring, especially if his offense struggled. I think he expected better than he's getting though. He doesn't look happy and I am sure the team isn't doing what he's coaching most of the time.

mingus
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Pop didn't decide to not have defense. He decided that decent defense wasn't going to win a ring, especially if his offense struggled. I think he expected better than he's getting though. He doesn't look happy and I am sure the team isn't doing what he's coaching most of the time.

the part that i don't understand though is when the fuck has Splitter indicated that he's a detriment to the offense? all signs point to him being better both offensively and defensively than Bonner and Blair at this point. it's not like playing him suddenly makes this team a shitty offensive team. they don't lose a step when he plays. there's no trade-off of offense for defense.

jjktkk
04-05-2011, 10:03 PM

Your doing an outstanding job with the Bulls ElNono. Who knew? :lol

weebo
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM

It does not matter who the Spurs play. They are going to be hard pressed to beat a big front court 4 of 7 games.

When I said he's won four I meant he's won four during the DRob/Duncan era and later with prime Duncan.
His four titles shouldn't give him a pass to screw things up now. He's playing Bonner and Blair together for fucking sakes. Are you too stupid to see that bullshit lineup can't and won't work?
The Spurs have the parts to have a good team. Good enough for a championship run. Problem is Pop won't let that happen because for some reason he thinks he is the second coming of Donnie basketball with his visionary bullshit line ups. But please go ahead and keep thinking this combo will work great in the playoffs while a serviceable 7 footer rots at the end of the bench. Pop is failing the team.

mexpurs21
04-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Shut up I'm Phil Jackson.

jjktkk
04-05-2011, 10:08 PM

He didn't throw his defense ideas out the window. Can you honestly say this current Spurs roster is loaded with defensive talent? Other than Splitter, whose still finding his way, theres not a whole lot of defensive potential on this roster. No Bowens, Drobs, etc.... that I see.

NRHector
04-05-2011, 10:09 PM
When I said he's won four I meant he's won four during the DRob/Duncan era and later with prime Duncan.
His four titles shouldn't give him a pass to screw things up now. He's playing Bonner and Blair together for fucking sakes. Are you too stupid to see that bullshit lineup can't and won't work?
The Spurs have the parts to have a good team. Good enough for a championship run. Problem is Pop won't let that happen because for some reason he thinks he is the second coming of Donnie basketball with his visionary bullshit line ups. But please go ahead and keep thinking this combo will work great in the playoffs while a serviceable 7 footer rots at the end of the bench. Pop is failing the team.he's also wasting Timmy's and Dice's last years

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
the part that i don't understand though is when the fuck has Splitter indicated that he's a detriment to the offense?

Oh, I would say the airballs from the FT line late in the game are all good signs. Pop loves to intentionally foul shitty FT shooters late in games. Surely someone would do that to us with Splitter. The dude cannot hit the fucking rim, and he's no Shaq in the paint. I like him, but he's not all that yet.

all signs point to him being better both offensively and defensively than Bonner and Blair at this point. Sure, as long as they improvise plays for him.

it's not like playing him suddenly makes this team a shitty offensive team. they don't lose a step when he plays. there's no trade-off of offense for defense.
Pop doesn't play people because it doesn't hurt, he plays them because he thinks it helps. Tiago doesn't guard up top very well, and he's a foul magnet.

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM

I am sure you knew that DRob wasn't involved in 2 of those, but you said he won 4 with both players. You didn't mention a era. The "era" thing is bullshit anyhow. The Bulls didn't keep winning just because they were in the Jordan, Pippen era once Jordan left the 1st time.

I feel the pain too. However part of me understands that I felt the same way about Manu getting minutes when he used to throw the ball to people in the 15th row.

The Spurs have the parts to have a good team. Good enough for a championship run.

No they don't. Saying it ad nauseum doesn't make it true. No one in the league would look at the Spurs team and say they have the "players" to win it all. They say they have the "team" to win. They credit Pop and the Spurs organization with that. They had 2 players in the ASG, and one was a replacement for an injured player. The Celtics have the players to win it all. The Lakers have the players to win it all. The Heat have the players to win it all, and the Knicks have the players to win it all. The Spurs only have a team and an organization that can win if everything fall in their laps at the right time. Otherwise they are a middle of the playoff pack team.

Problem is Pop won't let that happen because for some reason he thinks he is the second coming of Donnie basketball with his visionary bullshit line ups. But please go ahead and keep thinking this combo will work great in the playoffs while a serviceable 7 footer rots at the end of the bench. Pop is failing the team.
I don't think they will work great in the playoffs. I don't think any combo would work that great. We don't have a championship caliber team. It is what it is, but Pop has to work with what he has.

4>0rings
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM

Rant over.Until Pop tells us a reason, we're going with the obvious answer, Pop's a fucking dumbass hard headed bitch.

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Until Pop tells us a reason, we're going with the obvious answer, Pop's a fucking dumbass hard headed bitch.

That ring you have as your avatar pic was won by Pop. You could just use the pre-Pop ring... wait.... nm. :)

4>0rings
04-05-2011, 10:22 PM
That ring you have as your avatar pic was won by Pop. You could just use the pre-Pop ring... wait.... nm. :)
http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:23 PM
http://www.memedepot.com/uploads/0/207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I'm not. Thus the :)

weebo
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I am sure you knew that DRob wasn't involved in 2 of those, but you said he won 4 with both players. You didn't mention a era. The "era" thing is bullshit anyhow. The Bulls didn't keep winning just because they were in the Jordan, Pippen era once Jordan left the 1st time.

I feel the pain too. However part of me understands that I felt the same way about Manu getting minutes when he used to throw the ball to people in the 15th row.

No they don't. Saying it ad nauseum doesn't make it true. No one in the league would look at the Spurs team and say they have the "players" to win it all. They say they have the "team" to win. They credit Pop and the Spurs organization with that. They had 2 players in the ASG, and one was a replacement for an injured player. The Celtics have the players to win it all. The Lakers have the players to win it all. The Heat have the players to win it all, and the Knicks have the players to win it all. The Spurs only have a team and an organization that can win if everything fall in their laps at the right time. Otherwise they are a middle of the playoff pack team.

I don't think they will work great in the playoffs. I don't think any combo would work that great. We don't have a championship caliber team. It is what it is, but Pop has to work with what he has.

You say Pop has to work with what he has and yet you can't see that he is not completely utilizing all the tools at his disposal?

I don't understand your argument. One minute you're claiming Pop to be a great coach that has led the Spurs to the best regular season record the next minute you're saying the Spurs aren't good enough to win a title with that same coach.

I don't know if the Spurs are as great as all the teams you mentioned, but I would never underestimate a team with Duncan, Manu, and Tony. That in itself is good enough to label this team championship caliber.

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
You say Pop has to work with what he has and yet you can't see that he is not completely utilizing all the tools at his disposal?

It's easy to imagine benched players doing better than those on the floor (not hard at all in some instances), but Pop sees these guys every day in shoot around and I trust that, if playing Tiago would mean Spurs win, Pop would play Tiago. Pop also trusts his assistant coaches, confers with others and with the team (and probably with Tiago). I only watch the games.

I don't understand your argument. One minute you're claiming Pop to be a great coach that has led the Spurs to the best regular season record the next minute you're saying the Spurs aren't good enough to win a title with that same coach.

He is a great coach, one of the best of all time. Sloan was a great coach but the Jazz weren't good enough to win a title. Unfortunately coaches have to have the pieces to win games, which explains Phil's 11 rings.

I don't know if the Spurs are as great as all the teams you mentioned, but I would never underestimate a team with Duncan, Manu, and Tony. That in itself is good enough to label this team championship caliber.
The Spurs are not playing championship caliber ball. If they start doing that suddenly, I will change my mind.

NRHector
04-05-2011, 10:39 PM
The Spurs are not playing championship caliber ball is because the stubborn coach keeps messing up the chemistry and doesn't play the right players

itzsoweezee
04-05-2011, 10:44 PM
He didn't throw his defense ideas out the window. Can you honestly say this current Spurs roster is loaded with defensive talent? Other than Splitter, whose still finding his way, theres not a whole lot of defensive potential on this roster. No Bowens, Drobs, etc.... that I see.

That's a complete copout. A coach's greatest imprint on his team is on the defense. If the Spurs are playing shitty defense, it's Popovich's fault.

The Bulls are playing awesome defense and starting fucking Derrick Rose, Boozer, and Keith Bogans.

These excuses are getting pathetic. The guy's got two seven footers on his roster and two to three great perimeter defenders. The roster is more than capable of playing outstanding defense.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2011, 10:49 PM
It's easy to imagine benched players doing better than those on the floor (not hard at all in some instances), but Pop sees these guys every day in shoot around and I trust that, if playing Tiago would mean Spurs win, Pop would play Tiago. Pop also trusts his assistant coaches, confers with others and with the team (and probably with Tiago). I only watch the games.

Lol. Popovich doesn't play Tiago because Tiago doesn't know Popovich's precious system. And get the fuck outta here talking about shoot around. Are you really this fucking dense?

The Spurs are not playing championship caliber ball. If they start doing that suddenly, I will change my mind.

Popovich is hurting the team. He's more confident in his "system" than in the abilities of his players.

The guy's fucking gone senile. Alvin Gentry of all people schooled his ass. I shudder to think who'll be next. Scott Brooks? George Karl? Pathetic.

NZ Spurs
04-05-2011, 10:55 PM
Best Thread Ever.

DMC
04-05-2011, 10:56 PM
The Spurs are not playing championship caliber ball is because the stubborn coach keeps messing up the chemistry and doesn't play the right players

Pop didn't make anyone turn the ball over, miss FTs or shoot shitty from 3. He had nothing to do with that.

They haven't played championship caliber ball all year. They had one game against New Orleans when they made that big comeback late that I thought they played at the top of their game. The rest were 3pt fests and lucky breaks where the other team's best players were sidelined with injuries.

Championship caliber ball includes defense. We haven't played it all year.

rr2418
04-05-2011, 10:59 PM

Rant over.

Ranting! Playing "Arm Chair Quarterback" or in this case "Arm Chair Coach"! It's all for fun! That's what this forum is for, to write what's on your mind. I think a fan will always think they know more about the game than the coach b/c they're watching the game from a different perspective. They're watching the game on tv with instant replay at their disposal.

SnakeBoy
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM

Rant over.

This is the same group that thought Roger Mason was the key to a championship if only Pop would play him more...so you gotta take the criticism of Pop for what it's worth.

weebo
04-05-2011, 11:19 PM
Pop didn't make anyone turn the ball over, miss FTs or shoot shitty from 3. He had nothing to do with that.

They haven't played championship caliber ball all year. They had one game against New Orleans when they made that big comeback late that I thought they played at the top of their game. The rest were 3pt fests and lucky breaks where the other team's best players were sidelined with injuries.

Championship caliber ball includes defense. We haven't played it all year.

They haven't played all year because pock marked asshole keeps giving frosty the snowman and the black frodo baggins extended time on the floor. TOGETHER. :lol

Budkin
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Shut up I'm Phil Jackson.

http://s2.i1.picplzthumbs.com/upload/img/14/ce/66/14ce660efedf6ce6a6af8213155c8c40a03c7a2a_wmeg_0000 1.jpg

DMC
04-06-2011, 12:11 AM
They haven't played all year because pock marked asshole keeps giving frosty the snowman and the black frodo baggins extended time on the floor. TOGETHER. :lol

"You play Duncan and McD big minutes during the regular season you lose them for the playoff run. Splitter is in his first season as a Spur after playing the summer with the national team and coming off an injury (where he missed the preseason).

Someone has to play those minutes. And as I mentioned in some other post, unless Bonner is hitting threes he is pretty useless (we have seen this in previous years),imo. That leaves only Blair who showed us last year that when given minutes he can be valuable by bringing energy and rebounding. So why not play him where he can be most effective?"

-weebo

"You start McD at the start of the season and he'll fade down the stretch. And this talk about starting Splitter is complete shit. It is apparent that Pop doesn't think this guy is ready to start or get any significant playing time" -weebo

You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

Obstructed_View
04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
Threads like "when will Popovich realize the obvious?" boggle my mind.

+1

Pop will never realize the obvious.

NRHector
04-06-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm not a coach but I play one on ST :p:

ALVAREZ6
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Some of us just completely overlook the fact that he's a professional

George Dubya Bush and Obama are also professionals, who held/currently hold the most powerful position on the planet.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-06-2011, 01:45 AM
lol @ Pop falling a victim of his own overachieving.

Splits
04-06-2011, 01:45 AM

Pop has choked for going on four years now...if he does it again this season...what will be the excuse? (4 rings?)

the part that i don't understand though is when the fuck has Splitter indicated that he's a detriment to the offense? all signs point to him being better both offensively and defensively than Bonner and Blair at this point. it's not like playing him suddenly makes this team a shitty offensive team. they don't lose a step when he plays. there's no trade-off of offense for defense.

Oh, I would say the airballs from the FT line late in the game are all good signs. Pop loves to intentionally foul shitty FT shooters late in games. Surely someone would do that to us with Splitter. The dude cannot hit the fucking rim, and he's no Shaq in the paint. I like him, but he's not all that yet.
Sure, as long as they improvise plays for him.

Pop doesn't play people because it doesn't hurt, he plays them because he thinks it helps. Tiago doesn't guard up top very well, and he's a foul magnet.

At least one poster watches the games as opposed to living in a fantasy world like mingus, silverblkslut, and mugen.

JustinJDW
04-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Smartest thread in a while to be honest. We got some spoiled ass fans.

"OMG WHO CAREZ ABOUT TEH 4 RINGZZ!!11" :lol

Sean Cagney
04-06-2011, 02:47 AM
I hate the snowman too... nothing I can do about it. I like him when he's shooting threes, miss or not.

Lately and most of the time late in the year he is miss, so why is he out there when he is missing and does nothing else? If he misses a few yank him! But POOP DOES NOT!

Strike
04-06-2011, 04:49 AM

This. Multiple series wins against Phoenix proving a good defense beats a good offense and now, defense has been put on the back burner? WTF?

mingus
04-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Sure, as long as they improvise plays for him.

he's got flaws in his game, and ft shooting appears to be one of them. however, he was a 70% shooter in Europe, so i'm not sure it isn't due to the fact that he's got such a small sample size of fts. he hasn't been able to establish a rhythm due to not playing. plenty of guys are better ft shooter than their ft % indicates but they don't take enough. and plus, it's not like Blair's ft% is anything to brag about either, especially of late.

and if it gets to the point where the other team needs to foul Splitter to give themselves a chance to win, the Spurs are doing something right and in good position. it's pretty much the last stategy a team can employ to try and win, and it hardly ever works. for every game it does work there's like 9 games where it doesn't, or at least it seems that way. it's worked like one time for SA and the rest it has mostly backfired. it's a stupid, desperate strategy. not only are you getting players in foul trouble early but your putting the other team in the penalty. it's a risk that both teams are willing to take, and more so the team that is doing the fouling.

DMC
04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
You only do it when you are in the penalty already.

guzmangm
04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Could of been six titles but 0.4 and the Ginobili foul wasn't his fault. You can argue going small ball hurt us in '06 but the game/series was still ours until the foul, despite Dallas getting all the calls.

howbouthemspurs
04-06-2011, 09:57 AM
I for one think Pop is doing a great job! He can coach a bunch of downy midgets to play hockey with banjos as sticks and a baby seal as a puck and get them to win the Stanley cup of midget hockey with banjos and baby seals. ....Thats how good he is! And I trust him!

Rummpd
04-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Actually I am a coach, but sadly it is only for a grade school team that did pretty good this year. Even then I would not leave one of my 8 best players, who is also the 1st or 2nd tallest, on the bench all season long. Bonner on my team would be Mr. VC (victory cigar) and Blair would have been traded probably by now (for better or worse), as he is what he is, and has actually regressed as a rebounder - his best talent.

I like Pop but this has not been his finest season or month as a coach IMO.

Warlord23
04-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Good thread, will definitely visit again.

Improvement suggestions: thread needs some more gray name posts with references to 4 rings, SPAM, CIA, Coach of the Year etc :tu

rmt
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm no coach, but even I can see that the defense goes to pot when Blair/Bonner play together. That's when they fell into that 9-11 point hole against ATL.

The point I that Pop has a young, mobile 7 fter on the bench who could possibly improve the interior/pick and roll defense and he has neglected to integrate him. That's what's inexcusable. It would not have hurt to rest Dice a little more during the regular season and have another option available in the playoffs. Heaven help us if TD or any big gets in foul trouble. Even if there is an injury to Blair or Bonner, Spurs will be in a world of trouble because Splitter hasn't had the PT necessary to integrate.

I don't see any drop off of offense when Splitter plays and there is the potential of a much better defense. We already know what Bonner/Blair bring to the defense - not much.

biggerspursfanthanu
04-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Spurs got 4 more rings than a bunch of teams, that's great be proud of each and every one of them. But that's a pretty shit outlook to be so content with past glory, that everyhing that happens after doesn't mean anything. Hell if that's good enough for everyone, they should have closed up shop and retired the team after the last chip. It's a good thing Timmy and the guys aren't defeatest pussies who are happy to just play out their careers not giving a shit anymore. This is a business and its the player's and coaches job to do everything they can to win every single year. If being a spoiled fan means caring that the organization is doing everything in their power to win and stay relevant, then sure we're spoiled. With all that said, I do believe the team for the most part giving everything they got. I do hate pop though. He's a good coach but he's also an obnoxious negative prick. Oh and as far as red and pasty is concerned I would have no problem if he didn't have the contract he does.

Chomag
04-06-2011, 01:13 PM

Well as a fan I do care that Timmy gets at least one more ring before he hangs it all up, as well as future championship success for the Spurs organization. If you think thats being a spoiled fan then so be it. I'm a spoiled fan sir!

GrandeDavid
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM

I'm Hubie Brown, I confess. Don't believe me? As former coach of the Kentucky Colonels, I sold my house in Louisville on Hubbard Court to a Mr. J.D. Robbins.

Anyway, you gotta love Manu Ginobili the way he penetrates and kicks the ball out for Matt Bonner to pop the three pointer. Tim Duncan is a true scholar of the game of basketball and his footwork is still among the best in the game. Pick and pop with Tony Parker coming off the screen is something Gregg Popovich likes to mix in his bag of tricks sometimes.

Now do you believe me? I am Hubie Brown and I like vacationing in Brazil, which is why I chose the GrandeDavid username.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I'm Hubie Brown, I confess. Don't believe me? As former coach of the Kentucky Colonels, I sold my house in Louisville on Hubbard Court to a Mr. J.D. Robbins.

Anyway, you gotta love Manu Ginobili the way he penetrates and kicks the basketball out for Matt Bonner to pop the basketball. Tim Duncan is a true scholar of the game of the basketball and his footwork is still among the best in the game of the basketball. Pick and pop the basketball with Tony Parker coming off the screen is something Gregg Popovich likes to mix in his bag of tricks sometimes.

Now do you believe me? I am Hubie Brown and I like vacationing in Brazil, which is why I chose the GrandeDavid username.

Now you're Hubie Brown. :lol

LongtimeSpursFan
04-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Actually I am a coach and have been so for years and while most of posters on here seem to be complaining I think Pop is doing a great job. He has is playing what he believes gives him the best chance to win games. So far this formula has been successful as the Spurs are on pace to have the best record in the NBA and I believe a chance to have the best record in Spurs history. Last year the Spurs were the 7th seed and barely cracked the 50 win plateau.
I think people need to remember that Pop has changed his whole offensive philosophy this year to become more guard oriented and now has Duncan more as a facilitator. That is not easy to do in a span of one season. This new philosophy also has the Spurs getting many more easy shots with their fast break style something that rarely happened in previous years past.
Also, He saw last year that inside-outside basketball formula no longer worked for this team and the personnel they had. Sure Splitter provides a possible inside guy on the offensive side but do you think Pop really wants to run his offense through a rookie. On the defensive side Splitter can be more of a presence in the inside to block shots and rebounds but as a coach I taught my kids that protecting the paint was much more important that protecing the rim. That Boston game the Spurs lost because the Celtics were making most of their shots from the perimeter. Garnett and Davis were making jumpshot after jumpshot and in reality isnt that what you want a team to do. Having their bigs shoot 15-18 jumpers is a good defensive philosophy. Unfortunately, it didnt work in that game.
To sum it up...Why change the status quo if the status quo is working? We can argue that doing this or doing that may give us a better chance of winning games and a possible championship but what he is doing now is working. Does it guarantee a championship? Who knows? But does adding Splitter to the rotation guarantee more of a chance to win? We dont know. Right now you go with what you do know and it now it seems to be working.

jjktkk
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
That's a complete copout. A coach's greatest imprint on his team is on the defense. If the Spurs are playing shitty defense, it's Popovich's fault.

The Bulls are playing awesome defense and starting fucking Derrick Rose, Boozer, and Keith Bogans.

These excuses are getting pathetic. The guy's got two seven footers on his roster and two to three great perimeter defenders. The roster is more than capable of playing outstanding defense.

Lol, 2 to 3 "great" perimeter defenders? Who might they be? Your ranting and raving is pathetic, but comical and entertaining. :toast

spursince#99
04-06-2011, 02:58 PM
He won 4 titles with different players and younger players so don't bring the 4titles discussionLol exactly...

spursince#99
04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Actually I am a coach and have been so for years and while most of posters on here seem to be complaining I think Pop is doing a great job. He has is playing what he believes gives him the best chance to win games. So far this formula has been successful as the Spurs are on pace to have the best record in the NBA and I believe a chance to have the best record in Spurs history. Last year the Spurs were the 7th seed and barely cracked the 50 win plateau.
I think people need to remember that Pop has changed his whole offensive philosophy this year to become more guard oriented and now has Duncan more as a facilitator. That is not easy to do in a span of one season. This new philosophy also has the Spurs getting many more easy shots with their fast break style something that rarely happened in previous years past.
Also, He saw last year that inside-outside basketball formula no longer worked for this team and the personnel they had. Sure Splitter provides a possible inside guy on the offensive side but do you think Pop really wants to run his offense through a rookie. On the defensive side Splitter can be more of a presence in the inside to block shots and rebounds but as a coach I taught my kids that protecting the paint was much more important that protecing the rim. That Boston game the Spurs lost because the Celtics were making most of their shots from the perimeter. Garnett and Davis were making jumpshot after jumpshot and in reality isnt that what you want a team to do. Having their bigs shoot 15-18 jumpers is a good defensive philosophy. Unfortunately, it didnt work in that game.
To sum it up...Why change the status quo if the status quo is working? We can argue that doing this or doing that may give us a better chance of winning games and a possible championship but what he is doing now is working. Does it guarantee a championship? Who knows? But does adding Splitter to the rotation guarantee more of a chance to win? We dont know. Right now you go with what you do know and it now it seems to be working.Awwwh SHUT UP dude...sure we want the opposing team to take 15-18 foot jumpers as the Celtics did but if you really watched and paid attention to the game you would have noticed that each and every last one of those mid-range jumpers were WIDE open and protecting the rim is apart of protecting the paint so know what you're talking about because little league coaching doesn't compare to professional coaching and i actually play semi-pro ball so i of all posters on here should know...smh...

DMC
04-06-2011, 03:09 PM
Awwwh SHUT UP dude...sure we want the opposing team to take 15-18 foot jumpers as the Celtics did but if you really watched and paid attention to the game you would have noticed that each and every last one of those mid-range jumpers were WIDE open and protecting the rim is apart of protecting the paint so know what you're talking about because little league coaching doesn't compare to professional coaching and i actually play semi-pro ball so i of all posters on here should know...smh...

http://www.pembrokees.vbschools.com/images/award%202.jpg

You win the award for the longest sentence in the history of man. Congrats.

spursince#99
04-06-2011, 03:14 PM
http://www.pembrokees.vbschools.com/images/award%202.jpg

You win the award for the longest sentence in the history of man. Congrats.much appreciated perhaps...

ManuBalboa
04-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Last I checked Pop hasn't won shit in the last many seasons. Last time I checked he has made the same stupid ass coaching decisions in said last many seasons.

Pop can be an ass, but the fans can't. Got it OP. :toast

easy7
04-06-2011, 06:40 PM
You guys ain't no damn coaches.

Ok,ok, we confess we are not coaches. Can you tell us what gave it away so we won't make the same mistake next time? Just saying...

dbestpro
04-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't see the argument of Bonner over Splitter, but rather Blair over Splitter and Bonner over Novak. Novak has a quicker release and moves his feet better than Bonner.

DMC
04-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Ok,ok, we confess we are not coaches. Can you tell us what gave it away so we won't make the same mistake next time? Just saying...

I'll bet it was the clear complexions and the outstanding strategic planning we possess.

pjjrfan
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I've coached Little Dribblers. Pop's crazy.