PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Memphis was scoreboard watching

Mel_13
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Blew a 9 point 4th quarter lead at home against the Clippers. Guess they'd rather finish 8th...

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
That was a horrible call at the end, par/course from Violet Palmer..

Although if I was Memphis, I would obviously rather avoid LA..

Mugen
04-05-2011, 09:41 PM
they did get fucked in the end by the refs though....but don't really blame them either way.

alchemist
04-05-2011, 09:46 PM
toughest matchup for Spurs, personally I would love to watch it as a basketball fan but as a Spurfan that series is going to be costly

DMC
04-05-2011, 09:55 PM
If we cannot beat Memphis we are already fucked.

Juanobili
04-05-2011, 09:57 PM
i'm not only worried about the match up but the possible injuries from playing that damn team >:[

HarlemHeat37
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm not worried about losing a series to Memphis, but I'm definitely worried about the Lakers getting New Orleans..they would win every game by 15+, they wouldn't be tested at all..no team will beat LA in the 1st round, obviously, no team will take them to 7, but hopefully they will actually play a relatively tough team..

New Orleans is by far their easiest matchup..

Chomag
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Memphis is definitely a team this year that is capable of being an upset team, especially with the way they match up with the Spurs. However if Spurs can't beat Memphis then they really don't belong there in the first place. So bring them on!

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
If it helps us avoid Portland then that's fine.

ChuckD
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Not that worried about Memphis. They "played us tough" because they caught us once without Tony and once without Tim. Their offense is elite, but their defense consists of a series of gambles. They have to, because their starting front line is the defensive equivalent of Bonner/Blair. Simply catching the ball on the move, and reversing direction on the dribble to avoid their inevitable overplaying wing defenders can get you all the way to the rim.

spectator
04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
the memphis coach sold the game; heard it on nba audio pass - in the 4th, memphis scored 13; they had averaged almost 23 per qtr until then. mem coach said that in the 4th, when clippers went big, he stayed small even when he saw that it did not work, and that the media can blame the loss on him.

we get it, houston is no longer a big threat and has the worst schedule out of everyone in contention, so memphis is avoiding the lakers. can't blame them.

Bill_Brasky
04-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Hoping we skunk Memphis......it could happen.

4>0rings
04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
the memphis coach sold the game; heard it on nba audio pass - in the 4th, memphis scored 13; they had averaged almost 23 per qtr until then. mem coach said that in the 4th, when clippers went big, he stayed small even when he saw that it did not work, and that the media can blame the loss on him.

we get it, houston is no longer a big threat and has the worst schedule out of everyone in contention, so memphis is avoiding the lakers. can't blame them.
I hope the Spurs use that as locker room material.

elbamba
04-05-2011, 10:37 PM
I see the Spurs beating the Grizzles in 5 games. Its one thing to win in the regular season, its another in the playoffs and that team does not know anything about winning in the playoffs outside of their Boston connection.

itzsoweezee
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM
It's going to be funny watching Memphis, New Orleans, and Portland try to outdo each other in losing games down the stretch. The New Orleans-Memphis matchup on Sunday should be particularly interesting. I expect to see a lot of players out with injury.

KenziE
04-05-2011, 10:51 PM
I hope the Spurs use that as locker room material.

i hope pop uses splitter period

baseline bum
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Bonner/Blair guarding Randolph is going to be Monty Python level comedy. I can't wait to see it.

FvckMavs
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Looks like POR is losing to GSW. Everybody wants to play the Spurs.

KenziE
04-05-2011, 11:01 PM
Looks like POR is losing to GSW. Everybody wants to play the Spurs.

why not? The spurs plays the "snowman" instead of splitter last 4 mins of the 3rd & the whole 4th and OT if possible (see Houston) who wouldn't wanna play the Spurs?

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 11:05 PM
It's going to be funny watching Memphis, New Orleans, and Portland try to outdo each other in losing games down the stretch. The New Orleans-Memphis matchup on Sunday should be particularly interesting. I expect to see a lot of players out with injury.

Well I'm sure they are all going to be going hard to get that 6 spot but someone is going to get caught at the 7 who would probably rather be at the 8. Should be interesting indeed though.

Portland is losing to GS right now at home also.

Budkin
04-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Fuck all those teams. If we can't beat them in the first round then we deserve to go home. It's all worth it to have HCA in the WCF.

Mugen
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
i guess they'd prefer to lose in 5 games to us then in 4 games to the Lakers.

I don't think they've ever won a playoff game?

duncan228
04-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Mike Monroe: Nuggets loom as playoff spoiler (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/mike-monroe-nuggets-loom-as-playoff-spoiler/)
Mike Monroe

...The Spurs won’t have to worry about Denver or Oklahoma City in the first round even if they slide into the No. 2 spot by season’s end.

What ought to concern the Spurs most would be a first-round matchup against the Trail Blazers, the only Western Conference team that won the season series against them. The Spurs haven’t won a game at The Rose Garden since April 6, 2008. The Blazers’ most recent victory in San Antonio came eight days ago.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/05/mike-monroe-nuggets-loom-as-playoff-spoiler/

toki9
04-05-2011, 11:26 PM
That was a horrible call at the end, par/course from Violet Palmer..

Although if I was Memphis, I would obviously rather avoid LA..

Violet Palmer, violating NBA rules since...

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Fuck all those teams. If we can't beat them in the first round then we deserve to go home. It's all worth it to have HCA in the WCF.

Lol way to think things through... It's not about not being able to beat those teams its about what will be quickest, least physical, least exhausting series. Our current struggles with Portland plus the fact that it's a 5 or 6 hour flight would be the worse possible matchup regarding the things mentioned... not saying we wouldn't win but playing New Orleans or Memphis would definitely be a better scenario for us, preferably New Orleans.

DesignatedT
04-05-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised Portland had a big letdown tonight, I would think they would be fighting hard for that 6 spot vs Dallas.

crc21209
04-05-2011, 11:33 PM
I still see New Orleans finishing 8th. They still have 1 game against Memphis, and Memphis spanked them last weekend....

Mugen
04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I'm surprised Portland had a big letdown tonight, I would think they would be fighting hard for that 6 spot vs Dallas.

Hopefully they go balls out against LA on Friday then.

Mugen
04-05-2011, 11:34 PM
I still see New Orleans finishing 8th. They still have 1 game against Memphis, and Memphis spanked them last weekend....

if it's gonna come down to those three trying to out-tank each other then im definitely going with NO

Mel_13
04-05-2011, 11:38 PM

It's going to be interesting watching these teams maneuver. The Hornets play the Rockets tomorrow night. If they win, they'll clinch the tiebreaker over Memphis.

tuncaboylu
04-05-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't think that they drop the game today. They have a chance to get 6th seed and play against Dallas. Dallas is in pretty bad situation right now and the most probable top seed to be eleminated in the first round.

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Lakers lose to Utah. Spurs win the next 2 home games and we clinch the 1.

pocjetty
04-06-2011, 06:48 AM
Yeh thats probably what happened. The griz tanked a game to stay in 8th place and keep the door open to get knocked totally out of the playoffs. Even though it looked like the Lakers were going to beat Utah and have a great chance of taking over the no.1 seed. Makes a lot of sense.

No wonder people from LosAngeles think we are ass backward country fucks.

Harry Callahan
04-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Memphis gets NO at home. They'll probably win that game. Don't know the Head to Head record.

Mel_13
04-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Memphis gets NO at home. They'll probably win that game. Don't know the Head to Head record.

Currently 2-1, Hornets. The Hornets also hold the advantage in Division record, 8-5 to 7-8. If the Hornets win tonight against Houston, they'll clinch the tiebreaker over Memphis.

romsho
04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
i'm not only worried about the match up but the possible injuries from playing that damn team >:[

This. Memphis hacks..alot. I don't worry about the Spurs beating Memphis, but do worry about the health of the team going into the next round. Let them go beat on the Lakers or Dallas.

Doctor J
04-06-2011, 08:37 AM
If there is any Spurs fan who is afraid of Memphis Grizzlies, he shouldn't even dream about Spurs winning a champioship at all.

kaji157
04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
The way i see it, The Lakers with their fear of OKC, have given a great chance to regroup to this group.
If they had beaten out the spurs for the first seed, their confidence would be struggling by PO time.
But given the most likely scenario where the spurs hold on the top seed, the confidence issues will be left behind, and with a week to rest and get back to basics the Spurs should take care of Memphis in 4 or 5 games at most.
I think the thing that bothered the spurs game a lot was the thinking of loosing the first seed and a year of hard work out of a couple of bad desitions down the stretch, now that has passed the team will be back to their level in a few games.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
If there is any Spurs fan who is afraid of Memphis Grizzlies, he shouldn't even dream about Spurs winning a champioship at all.

Match-ups matter in the NBA. (see: DAL v. GS circa 2007)

urunobili
04-06-2011, 08:49 AM
I think the Spurs will lose game one to Memphis... :wakeup

hater
04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
If we cannot beat Memphis we are already fucked.

/thread

:tu

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Match-ups.

hater
04-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Match-ups.

matchups don't matter when it's a #1 seed and #8 seed.

If #1 seed loses it's because they are damn chokers and don't deserve shit. Kinda like the Mavs

Bill_Brasky
04-06-2011, 10:24 AM

If #1 seed loses it's because they are damn chokers and don't deserve shit. Kinda like the Mavs

This.

There are plenty of scrub teams that have had a title contending team's number in the regular season. The playoffs are an entirely different story.

Randolph and Gasol don't scare me one bit.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Yeh thats probably what happened. The griz tanked a game to stay in 8th place and keep the door open to get knocked totally out of the playoffs. Even though it looked like the Lakers were going to beat Utah and have a great chance of taking over the no.1 seed. Makes a lot of sense.

No wonder people from LosAngeles think we are ass backward country fucks.

Well said. In 5 posts you have moved ahead of 95% of the Spurstalkers with your ability to post.

itsamanuthree
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM

This. Memphis won't gamble their playoff spot and the confidence winning gives for a match-up against an unkown 1st seed.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

This.

There are plenty of scrub teams that have had a title contending team's number in the regular season. The playoffs are an entirely different story.

Randolph and Gasol don't scare me one bit.

Disagree.

As much as I hate Terry, he was right: We're lucky we didn't have to play them that year.

Match-ups.

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
It's not about not being able to beat those teams its about what will be quickest, least physical, least exhausting series. Our current struggles with Portland plus the fact that it's a 5 or 6 hour flight would be the worse possible matchup regarding the things mentioned... not saying we wouldn't win but playing New Orleans or Memphis would definitely be a better scenario for us, preferably New Orleans.