PDA

View Full Version : In The Finals: Breaking Down Possible Matchups

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 05:48 PM
Spurs: Breaking Down Possible Matchups
This story is available on your cell phone at mobile.woai.com.

http://www.woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=F2030A77-7579-4B1C-AEEE-4E2A6802EC58

By LJ Ellis
SpursZONE.com

http://cctvimedia.clearchannel.com/woai/tpbillups.jpg

With Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals Monday night, it's tough to say against which team the San Antonio Spurs would better matchup. The Heat are banged up and they don't have much history together in the playoffs, but then again the Spurs haven't had much success going against Shaq and a superstar sidekick. The Pistons don't have the most high-flying offense and the Larry Brown saga seems to be taking its toll, but they are the defending champions and play great defense and know how to score down the stretch.

Instead of looking at the big picture, it's easier to look player by player to breakdown the possible matchups.

Tim Duncan
Rasheed Wallace and Ben Wallace would be a huge challenge for Duncan. Help defense coming for Tayshaun Prince, Chauncey Billups and Rip Hamilton would be good too. That said, you'd have to go with the Heat being the easier matchup for Duncan. Miami really couldn't put Shaq on Duncan because Shaq has been slowed with his injury in the playoffs. Duncan would mostly go against Udonis Haslem and Alonzo Mourning. While those are still tough matchups, it wouldn't as tough as the Wallaces.

Manu Ginobili
The Heat would be the easier matchup for Ginobili. Against the Pistons, he'd be guarded by Prince. Prince is long and quick, which could cause some problems. On the other end of the court, Ginobili could have some trouble guarding Prince. Against the Heat, he'd be matched up against Eddie Jones. Jones is a good defender and a dangerous offensive threat, but he's not the defender Prince is and isn't a go-to player offensively for the Heat.

Tony Parker
The Pistons would be a matchup nightmare for Parker. Detroit could guard him with Billups or even Hamilton. Billups is stronger and could force Parker into taking jumpers. Hamilton is quick enough and long enough to keep Parker out of the lane. Lindsey Hunter off the bench is another player who could give Parker problems. Against the Heat, Parker would most likely be going against players like Damon Jones and Keyon Dooling. It would be much easier for him.

Bruce Bowen
Dwyane Wade could cause Bowen some problems. Bowen, who hasn't played against Wade much, might have some issues with Wade's speed and quickness. Rip Hamilton, on the other hand, is a perfect matchup for Bowen. He can snake around picks and has the stamina to chase Hamilton around the court. Bowen should be able to hold Hamilton better than he would Wade.

Nazr Mohammed
No center wants to have to go up against Shaq. Even though Shaq isn't 100%, he's still a load in the paint. Mohammed would find himself in constant foul trouble against the Heat. Versus the Pistons, Mohammed would be useful against Detroit's big frontline. He'd also be much less likely to be in foul trouble.

Robert Horry
Horry would be a perfect match for the Pistons. He has a history of guarding Rasheed Wallace well. He'd also force Ben Wallace out of the paint with his three-point shooting. The Heat would pose some trouble for Horry. Horry wouldn't have much success against Shaq or Mourning. Horry also wouldn't matchup well against Haslem, who is stronger and a much better rebounder.

Brent Barry
Barry would be in matchup hell against the Pistons. He'd have to go against Prince on one end and a suffocating defense that doesn't allow three-pointers on the other end. There isn't a player on Detroit that Barry could matchup with. However, against the Heat, Barry would be much more useful.

Beno Udrih
Udrih has had much more success this year against the Pistons than the Heat. The Pistons don't have overly quick point guards in Billups and Carlos Arroyo. While Damon Jones isn't a speedster for Miami, Dooling is fast and could beat Udrih off the dribble. The Spurs could call on Udrih often against the Pistons because Parker will have some trouble with Detroit's guards.

Glenn Robinson
Even though Robinson didn't play a minute against the Suns he could be a major player in the Finals, especially if the Spurs go against the Pistons. The Pistons, with Prince at small forward, pose some size issues for the Spurs. That is where Robinson may be called into action. Barry doesn't matchup well with the Pistons at all, so Gregg Popovich might have to go with Robinson. Versus the Heat, Robinson would see minimal playing time. Their swingmen are too fast for Big Dog to defend.

Rasho Nesterovic
If Nesterovic is to see the court again this season, it'll be against the Heat. He can log some minutes on Shaq and do a decent job. He'd also be a good cover for Mourning. Against the Pistons, Nesterovic wouldn't see much time. Detroit's bigs are too mobile and aren't true post-up players.

Devin Brown
Though Brown has missed much of the playoffs with a back injury, he could be called upon in the Finals. The Pistons have a lot of tough players who will try to get physical with the Spurs. Brown is the perfect person to put in there to combat that if he's healthy.

Tony Massenburg
Massenburg is another player the Spurs can throw at Shaq. He'd get a couple chances to go in there and lay the lumber on The Big Floridian. It would take a total team effort from the Spurs' bigmen to handle O'Neal, even if he says he's only at 40% healthy right now.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
Sounds like LJ likes our chances against the Heat a lot more than against the Pistons.

ducks
06-05-2005, 05:57 PM
pop>>>>larry brown

timvp
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Sounds like LJ likes our chances against the Heat a lot more than against the Pistons.

Actually, it's pretty evenly divided on the matchups. Either way it's going to be a tough series.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Yeah but you think Tim, Tony, Manu, Rasho, and Barry would do better against the heat.

I would say that those are our key player wouldn't you?

I think Glenn will probably get some playing time against the Heat also, because he could be very helpful on double teams, put him on Haslem or Mourning and double shaq.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 06:08 PM
I would say that those are our key player wouldn't you?

Bowen and Nazr might be more key than Rasho and Barry.

Sense
06-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I think we could win against the heat...

But against the pistons it's hard to tell...they are the defending champions and sometimes they can get real focused...

but c'mon, I really haven't seen the spurs being dominated by the pistons at all...

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Bowen and Nazr might be more key than Rasho and Barry.

that's true, but if the triumverent is better against the Heat, that's the team we are better prepared to face wouldn't you agree?

Besides, Nazr will still be able to grab rebounds, get put back dunks etc. He will just pick up more fouls.

And Dwayne Wade might not even be able to play against us if he goes all out to help the Heat beat detroit.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 06:23 PM
but if the triumverent is better against the Heat, that's the team we are better prepared to face wouldn't you agree?

Definitely. I think the Pistons would be a nightmare compared to the Heat. Parker doesn't matchup well with any of their point guards, Tayshaun would give Manu trouble, and I hate Rasheed on Duncan. I definitely want the Heat.

1Parker1
06-05-2005, 06:30 PM
Actually, didn't Manu and Tony score in the 20's in the last regular season game against the Pistons (the one where TD got injured :()?

...Not saying I disagree with you. I think that against Detroit, that is when we will need our bench to step up and shine. Barry and Beno need to come in and hit those 3's, Rasho needs to do his thing on defense in the paint, Horry needs to be Horry, and if Devin can play--I think he will be a big help.

If Devin was healthy, he would have really helped us out against Detroit/Heat.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Actually, didn't Manu and Tony score in the 20's in the last regular season game against the Pistons (the one where TD got injured )?

No. You would think that they would have had more points with Tim out, but I think they each scored around 12. Manu only played around 15 minutes in that game. The bench played well -- Devin and Beno.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 06:52 PM
Yeah, what are the chances of Wade playing in game 7 if you know Kori, I was hoping you would have heard something floating around the media room.

Is that whottt i see viewing this thread, where have you been?

1Parker1
06-05-2005, 06:53 PM
No. You would think that they would have had more points with Tim out, but I think they each scored around 12. Manu only played around 15 minutes in that game. The bench played well -- Devin and Beno.

Damn, in that case, bring on the Heat! :spin

WalterBenitez
06-05-2005, 07:27 PM
so, We should prefer Miami???

if so, let's go HEAT!

rl64tx
06-05-2005, 07:35 PM
The biggest "climax" to the NBA season will be tomorrow night!!! The Spurs should not have any major problems against either of these teams. Please don't overanalyze this, we've already played the toughest teams in my opinion!! The Spurs will roll over either one in 5 or 6 max, depending on how long Stern wants to drag it out!! :spin

Mr. Body
06-05-2005, 08:35 PM
The Pistons' problem is their offense is lackluster and haphazard, with moments where they click and shine.

I would rank their offense much lower than the Spurs, so while they will cause plenty of problems for San Antonio, I see Detroit having even worse problems scoring. Not a surprise - everyone's been picking a low scoring series (should they advance). In the Spurs' favor, their two primary non-Ducan threats are penetrators, one a fantastically wily one. Penetrators are enormously disruptive for defenses.

Plus, Detroit doesn't have the thuggish mentality it took for Seattle and, to a lesser degree, Denver to hammer and flagrantly foul slashers, which works to our favor. Our front line is also bigger and deeper than theirs, with McDyess not really all that effective lately (though this may change). Their bench really hasn't been all that great lately, as a whole. And I agree on the Big Dog, though I'll believe it when I see it: he can be a huge boon and really pay off here, sticking the midrange jumper. He can get his shot off against most anybody, and if he's sticking really well, they may have to swing Prince over on him, leaving someone like Ginobili with a lesser one-on-one defender.

Interesting match-up. I'd say, too, harder than Miami.

Clandestino
06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
spurs in 5 against either team... i'll be suprised if it is 6...

Clandestino
06-05-2005, 08:45 PM
and there is no one on either team to guard ginobili... we have seen that already. the only one stopping manu will be if manu CHOOSES not to drive.

Mr. Body
06-05-2005, 08:48 PM
I just looked at the box scores of both games this year.

The first, very early in the year, was a low scoring affair (80-77) and a Spurs win. Nothing really popped out at me in the boxscore, other than completely ineffectual Barry and Beno lines.

The second game, in Detroit, a Pistons win, was very high scoring (110-101) but highly unusual: Duncan had his worst sprain this game early in the first quarter and for some reason Manu only played 13 minutes (I forget the reason why). Pistons jumped out to an advantage in the second quarter, which they never relinquished. Not a surprise, as the Spurs were in shock at losing their man. Devin Brown had a big game, but I don't believe the Spurs were fighting much.

By those games, then, I'd say barring injuries, the Spurs shouldn't have too large of troubles. Detroit doesn't seem to be playing that great right now, either. Their offense will always be a problem for them.

Assman
06-05-2005, 09:01 PM
We have enough big bodies to throw at Shaq and Bruce will limit Wade more than anyone else can. We'd rather play Miami without a doubt.

RobinsontoDuncan
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Our offenses seem almost built to beat each others defenses, I.E. their main threat is the jumpshot, even from their best scoring big man where as we are built to stop penetration and give up jump shots. They have size and cover each player man to man because they have the personel to guard almost anyone, but we have two of the fastest guards in the league that can get around billups and hamilton. We have a go to guy, they don't... it just seems like a very interesting match-up for both teams.

1Parker1
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I just looked at the box scores of both games this year.

The first, very early in the year, was a low scoring affair (80-77) and a Spurs win. Nothing really popped out at me in the boxscore, other than completely ineffectual Barry and Beno lines.

The second game, in Detroit, a Pistons win, was very high scoring (110-101) but highly unusual: Duncan had his worst sprain this game early in the first quarter and for some reason Manu only played 13 minutes (I forget the reason why). Pistons jumped out to an advantage in the second quarter, which they never relinquished. Not a surprise, as the Spurs were in shock at losing their man. Devin Brown had a big game, but I don't believe the Spurs were fighting much.

By those games, then, I'd say barring injuries, the Spurs shouldn't have too large of troubles. Detroit doesn't seem to be playing that great right now, either. Their offense will always be a problem for them.

Wow, 110-101, isn't too bad, considering Manu played limited minutes and Duncan only played 2 minutes of the 1st Quarter. I agree that Detroit seems to have many offensive droughts. Which is weird, because when I look at their starting 5, you'd think that could be the best starting 5 seeing as how all are capable of scoring 20+ points (Well, minus Ben).

Russ
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
The Heat's starting power forward is a guy that the Spurs had on their summer league team and didn't offer a roster spot to. The Piston's power forward is Rasheed Wallace. The Pistons are the defending champs. The Heat . . .

Well, you get the picture. :)

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Parker=Billups
Ginobili>Prince
Bowen<Hamilton
R. Wallace<<Duncan
B.Wallace>Mohammad

Bench
Mcdyess>Horry
Campbell<Nesterovic
B. Udrih>C. Arrojo
G. Robinson>whoever

Parker>D.Jones
Ginobili<D. Wade
Bowen<E.Jones
Duncan>>Haslem
Mohammad<<Shaq

Bench
Mourning>Nesterovic
Laettner<Horry
R. Butler=B. Barry
K. Dooling=B. Udrih

ducks
06-05-2005, 10:06 PM
I think parker will play billups better then some think
billups is one of his toughest players though
tp has improved this year
manu also will get prince
I saw prince play game 6 imo he was not impressive

if spurs play their a game pistons and heat do not have a chance in a 7 game series
there biggest problem will be not playing agressive and driving and getting their big men in trouble. you do that it gives the spurs a big advatage
if spurs settle for jumpshots then the heat have a better chance
if spurs settle for jumpshots then the pistons do not have a better chance
their o is not up there.the spurs have shown their can play like suns o and win or play their own way and win

if the spurs play pistons they need to play a more up tempo game like the suns and just try to outscore suns. IMO

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Duncan<<Haslem

:wtf

ducks
06-05-2005, 10:09 PM
oh brother!

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I'm assuming it must be a typo.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Nice analysis, ElJay!

Cant_Be_Faded
06-05-2005, 10:18 PM
wtf??? Tony Parker has a history of being owned by Chauncy Billups or what???

CB is a three point machine, if parker just puts a hand in his face that is a good matchup cuz i dont see how chauncy can possibly keep parker out of the lane
and if they put rip on him then big deal now we got Bowen wide open as day behind the 3 line

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Billups can't guard Parker and Parker can't guard Billups. It goes both ways.

Kori Ellis
06-05-2005, 10:26 PM
Billups actually does a good job at guarding Parker.

And he averaged 22ppg on over 60% shooting this season against San Antonio.

ducks
06-05-2005, 10:29 PM
does billups actually have to be guarded by parker

mavsfan1000
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
What's so great about Billups? Parker should be able to outspeed Billutps because Billups is slow for a point guard unless Billups guards Bowen.

2centsworth
06-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Chauncey will be a hand full. Defensively no one can guard parker tight, but lay off and force him into jumpers and you have a chance.

Prince is slightly over rated. Wasn't he suppossedly the Wade stopper? Last I heard Prince asked Brown to cover someone else because Wade is too quick.

Tim Will have a tougher time with Detroit, TIMVP was right on the money with that.

TDfan2007
06-06-2005, 01:53 AM
From what I've seen in the ECF, neither team will be able to last 7 games against the Spurs.

ducks
06-06-2005, 09:10 AM
rip asked prince after prince admitted wade was to quick for him
rip says the players decide who to guard not the coach

spur219
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Bring on either the Heat or the Pistons. Either one will lose to the Spurs in 6.

spur219
06-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Prince can't guard Wade. What makes him think he can guard Manu. Manu is also very lightning quick.

NoMoneyDown
06-06-2005, 12:10 PM
At first, I wanted nothing to do with a Spurs/Detroit matchup, but unlike last year, the Pistons this year seem very inconsistant from game to game. I'm sure a lot has to do with coaching adjustments, but the Spurs could definately take advantage of this. And outside of Shaq and Wade, I don't see anybody on Miami's team that would cause concern. Now that Shaq and Wade are both <100%, I think the Spurs could win in 4-5 games "easily".

Synopsis?

Spurs over Detroit in 5-6 games.
Spurs over Miami in 4-5 games.

nkdlunch
06-06-2005, 12:46 PM
The Coyote vs. Pistons Mascot: Coyote will eat that damn horse for breakfast
http://tblightningentertainment.com/stories/tom_basketball.jpg

Coyote vs. Heat Mascot: Heat mascot is the ugliest mascot in the NBA. It looks like Big Bird after a bulldozer ran him over. And that basketball nose? wtf is that?

http://www.thevictoryschool.org/images/Burnie%20with%20Amita%20field%20day%202003.png

Coyote wins either way
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/coyote_index.gif