PDA

View Full Version : What got you to Spurstalk?

TE
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
If this thread exists, my bad in advance.

I remember once posting several times at Spursreport only to be banned. The mods there are completely anal if you write something that they think is of trolling character. I then started to roam around Spurstalk for some time before finally making an account (yours truly).

IronMexican
04-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Someone linked this forum right after the Lakers beat the Jazz in 2008. Also linked it to some Hornets forum. Stayed here.

IronMaxipad
04-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Someone linked this forum right after the Lakers beat the Jazz in 2008. Also linked it to some Hornets forum. Stayed here.

Nigga didn't we roll here from SA?

I don't even remember my original username

baseline bum
04-06-2011, 12:17 AM
I got an email from timvp.

Manu20
04-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Wanted to be convinced that 0.4 did not happen:pctoss

DesignatedT
04-06-2011, 12:20 AM
I pretty much lurked on Spursreport for a couple years until I found this place then I lurked here for a year or so before actually creating an account and started to post.

dallaskd
04-06-2011, 12:25 AM
mavtalk sucked

4>0rings
04-06-2011, 12:29 AM
I kept getting banned at Spursreport.

ALVAREZ6
04-06-2011, 12:38 AM
posted at the forum on manu's site, and another poster by the name of, you may know her, angel_luv made the recommendation.

:toast angel_luv. I hope you don't hate me now that my opinion on religion is rather well known :lol

Slydragon
04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
My brother showed me the site and I lurk for what seemed forever before making my account on 04-20-2005. I don't know how my brother found the site but to this day he still lurks and has never made a account.

I hardly post myself (3,696post since 05), I mostly just read, I mean some users have 2-10x more post count than me with way less years.

mouse
04-06-2011, 12:45 AM
For me It was totally by accident, I was really trying to type Spurs Report.

DJ Mbenga
04-06-2011, 12:55 AM
i think the lakers were playing the blazers. in the gamethread people were going nuts after fernandez was fouled and it caused a fight. i joined in and had fun with the insults

CuckingFunt
04-06-2011, 01:12 AM
Someone linked the Nash photoshop thread to the Kings board I frequent and I started lurking then. Finally started an account a few months later to post in the Rate Her thread in the then unprotected Trolls Forum. Ended up sticking around after getting embroiled in loooooong, drawn out arguments with a number of members from the aforementioned Kings board who got banned and came here to act like whiney babies.

mouse
04-06-2011, 03:12 AM
mavtalk sucked

MavTalk itself really didn't suck if you think about it.... my honest opinion is......

It basically wasn't run properly,... also the Mods allowed they're huge ego's determine which posters views deserved to be seen and replied too in a public forum..........I feel banning many honest opinions people had they thus burned many bridges (me included) ...... and by doing so, they starved themselves of precious online success.

Strike
04-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Going to Spursreport led me here. Pretty sure some other poster there mentioned ST and once I checked it out, Spursreport ceased to exist to me.

Stringer_Bell
04-06-2011, 09:52 AM
I joined after the Spurs lost in the playoffs to post my appreciation for Timmy, but I had been lurking for a few months. I noticed a lot of posters had TV/film character names, but it didn't occur to me that they were trolls...so I chose this account name without thinking I'd be considered a troll. Yet I am. :(

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 10:05 AM
I joined after the Spurs lost in the playoffs to post my appreciation for Timmy, but I had been lurking for a few months. I noticed a lot of posters had TV/film character names, but it didn't occur to me that they were trolls...so I chose this account name without thinking I'd be considered a troll. Yet I am. :(

:lol

To this day, I assumed you were.

And I made the trek from SR after the ban stick started coming down HARD on some of my favorite posters. I didn't get banned until a few months back (after not posting for years) when I took a subtle jab at that insufferable fuckstick Jason R who was complaining on SR about getting a thread closed on ST.

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
___jag invited me here

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2011, 10:08 AM
or __jag
not sure how many __ but you get the picture

Viva Las Espuelas
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM
I think the google got me here. Don't remember.

mrsmaalox
04-06-2011, 10:22 AM
04/05 was my first season as a Spurs fan, or even a basketball fan. I found ST and SR on Google cuz I wanted to learn more about the game and the team. Perused both sites for one day and stuck with ST. I lurked for over a year before I registered. Never been back to SR.

stretch
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
some people at a mavs forum thought it would be fun to start trolling some random forums, like a jazz, rockets, and phoenix forum, then this one came up. as i posted some lame-ass troll threads and looked like an assfucker in the process, I realized that this site was 100000x better than that shithole of a mavs forum i was previously posting at, so i decided to stay here for good.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
that insufferable fuckstick Jason R

Thaaaaaaat fuckin' guy... :lol

I remember when he wasn't clowning himself by being hypocritically sanctimonious, baiting the Argentinians from behind Dusty's apron strings, or pretending his "SR Reporter" tagline meant he didn't actually work at Freebirds, he'd share his experiences of going on SciFi channel-style ghost hunts.

And not once an invite :(

Anyway, I ended up here for the same reason as Fpoonsie. Minimal power corrupted some mods there absolutely, and they chased all the good people away.

The Gemini Method
04-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I saw it linked in another message board...decided to see what the locals had to say...lurked for a year or so and then voila! Enjoyed the conversing amongst all the different fans and decided to join.

JudynTX
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
And I made the trek from SR after the ban stick started coming down HARD on some of my favorite posters. I didn't get banned until a few months back (after not posting for years) when I took a subtle jab at that insufferable fuckstick Jason R who was complaining on SR about getting a thread closed on ST.

:lmao How soon after I left, did you?

B-Hath
04-06-2011, 12:03 PM
SpursReport led me to SpursCorral. Then back to SpursReport, and now here.

djohn2oo8
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
google

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 12:32 PM
he'd share his experiences of going on SciFi channel-style ghost hunts.

:rollin

Hoe. Lee. Shit. I remember those. What a jackass.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 12:34 PM
:lmao How soon after I left, did you?

I'm not sure tbh. I tried a few different sites started by shunned former SRers, and then inevitably wound up here.

SpursWoman
04-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I got a link as soon as it was ready to come out and play. :)

Greg Oden
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
MavTalk itself really didn't suck if you think about it.... my honest opinion is......

It basically wasn't run properly,... also the Mods allowed they're huge ego's determine which posters views deserved to be seen and replied too in a public forum..........I feel banning many honest opinions people had they thus burned many bridges (me included) ...... and by doing so, they starved themselves of precious online success.

any forum that doesn't allow you to set your own avatar sucks. the fans on that site may be worse than the one's on DB.com

sup mickeyinsa

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I remember noticing that all of my favorite posters at SR were gone. I wondered where they went and was ready to quit the internets for good. Then, as if by miracle, I got a note in my inbox suggesting that I check out SpursTalk. Suddenly, there were all of my favorite posters again! Aside from getting a daily education on the world, I again had an outlet for my devotion to passing countless hours pontificating on any number of subjects. I truly rejoiced.

Sense
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I got here in 2004 thanks to WOAI.com I believe...

SpursWoman
04-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I remember noticing that all of my favorite posters at SR were gone. I wondered where they went and was ready to quit the internets for good. Then, as if by miracle, I got a note in my inbox suggesting that I check out SpursTalk. Suddenly, there were all of my favorite posters again! Aside from getting a daily education on the world, I again had an outlet for my devotion to passing countless hours pontificating on any number of subjects. I truly rejoiced.

That was either me or timvp, most likely. :nerd

Had to spell it S P U R S T A L K.com (no spaces) :lol

coyotes_geek
04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
<--Another SR refugee.

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
<--Another SR refugee.

You know who I miss (no homo)? Money4Nothing. He was a favorite a' mine. Apparently, he had a kid, and every so often when I revisit that ghost town, I never see any posts from him. Must have his hands full, I guess.

Money, if you happen to lurk here, shoot me a PM or fucking post SOMEthing.

Greg Oden
04-06-2011, 01:17 PM
lol sr krew

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
lol sr krew

Yeah, well...

:(

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Back in 2004 I had a pretty unhealthy obsession with Sean Marks and thought for certain that the internet had to have like minded individuals who could give pointers on how to do things like find out where he lived, perhaps steal his mail so that I'd have an excuse to talk to him and ultimately become best friends for the rest of our lives. So I did what anyone would do and typed in SpurStalk.com.

Six years, one mistrial, and a whole lot of medication later I'm proud to say that I'm still here.

IronMexican
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
SR..Do people just make threads and never reply?

Fpoonsie
04-06-2011, 01:25 PM
SR..Do people just make threads and never reply?

I don't think "people" really do anymore. Pretty sure there's simply a newsbot in every subforum that generates the mindless drivel. Seriously.

IronMexican
04-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't think "people" really do anymore. Pretty sure there's simply a newsbot in every subforum that generates the mindless drivel. Seriously.

So the whole point now is just to generate revenue? Pretty lame.

Wish Panda Spur stayed over there, though. Would be pretty cool.

TheMACHINE
04-06-2011, 01:30 PM
when Sasha whoooped on Ginoblii in 2008

Greg Oden
04-06-2011, 01:31 PM

ha! corso hit the nail on the head.

djohn2oo8
04-06-2011, 02:05 PM
when Sasha whoooped on Ginoblii in 2008

I'll take the lamborghini :lol

JudynTX
04-06-2011, 03:06 PM

Damn, you're still a fan of mine? Nice.

Greg Oden
04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
:lol on a sports forum and never discuss sports

LnGrrrR
04-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I was actually reading Andrew Sullivan, and he linked to this website by means of one of the commenters on the political board. Joined up due to the interesting discussion.

dallaskd
04-06-2011, 03:48 PM

I got banned under 3 usernames there and i never considered what i was doing as trolling. as far as basketball talk goes there its great and probably better than ST but the mods there i agree have a huge ego and if they don't like what you have to say they ban you basically. they disregard anything you say unless your in the mavtalk clique which consists of about 20 posters and the mods

The 4cc Dictionary
04-06-2011, 03:51 PM
aaaha! point it at EEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD-209 i saaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidddddddddddddddddd d

tlongII
04-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I invented Spurstalk. Then I let Kori and LJ take credit for it since I'm a Blazer fan. :tu

Doe
04-06-2011, 04:30 PM
SR was frequently down and was over moderated. A lot of the posters I liked reading had left as well. It was also annoying around 04-05 that they had one or two so called insiders predicting trades and signings that never panned out. Wondered why they had any credibility among SR masses after striking out so often.

TE
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
SR was frequently down and was over moderated. A lot of the posters I liked reading had left as well. It was also annoying around 04-05 that they had one or two so called insiders predicting trades and signings that never panned out. Wondered why they had any credibility among SR masses after striking out so often.

I took a walk down memory lane and lurked SR today. What a ghost town.

ashbeeigh
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Google.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I forgot the guy's name, but at one time their inside source/mod actually did know details about the inner workings of the team. He got a new job, though (right around 04-05, IIRC) after which the quality of his info soon dried up. Wonder what happened to him, actually. Smart guy.

FromWayDowntown
04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
That was either me or timvp, most likely. :nerd

Had to spell it S P U R S T A L K.com (no spaces) :lol

If I could still quote the first response I ever got to something I posted here, it would go like this:

'bout damn time.

I knew I was home.

jag
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
I found one of Sequ's threads while google searching something. I lurked for about one or two months and then finally created an account to talk shit to Tpark. I ended up liking Tpark and sequ, but for the first few months of being here I spent a lot of time talking shit to both of them.

Back then it was more common to see guys like Marcus Bryant, Ghostwriter, exstatic, Chumpdumer, Tpark, aggiehoopsfan and more of the older guys posting. It's definitely a different era now. ST has just really blown up. Say what you will, but ST is easily one of the top NBA fan forums on the internets. No question.

I actually saw Spursreport on a google search once before I joined here and thought it looked whack as hell.

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2011, 05:18 PM
What were you doing on sherdog if you don't watch mma?

jag
04-06-2011, 05:20 PM
What were you doing on sherdog if you don't watch mma?

I'd watch every once in awhile and I still do...but I mostly posted in the OT over there because the place was hilarious. Then everyone got banned and it wasn't all that fun. It used to be like what the NBA forum is here if you made everyone in there a mav fan and multiplied the amount of posters by 10.

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2011, 05:26 PM
all of those guys you miss moved on off shoots thats where I post mostly. TCM, FWI, etc but even now they've died recently.

BlackSwordsMan
04-06-2011, 05:27 PM
dp

SnakeBoy
04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
I was checking out suns fans whine about the spurs an azcentral and someone posted a link to ST whining about how mean Spurs fans were.

David Bowie
04-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I was a pretty active member at Spursreport. Hopwever, it was way too anti-semitic for my taste. Somebody posted a link for Spurstalk, and I liked this forum a lot better.

Sense
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Am I the only one that got here from that WOAI Spurs page? They used to have some interesting articles there, I (think) Kori wrote there, and they would have links to Spurstalk, and I would always come back so I just stayed...

silverbora
04-07-2011, 12:42 AM
:lol

I made the trek from SR after the ban stick started coming down HARD on some of my favorite posters.

same here

mavsfan1000
04-07-2011, 01:23 AM
I think it was google. I was looking for a spurs site to talk trash to since my mavs were pretty good in the day. I guess this site was a big surprise as it offered much more than just trash talking spurs fans. :D

z0sa
04-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Google.

monosylab1k
04-07-2011, 01:56 AM
stretch told me about the FWST forums. I posted there mainly to troll Cowboys fans, even though in the end I knew way more about their own team than they did. Eventually they got taken down, and then stretch told me about this place. I came to troll after the 06 WCSF and honestly I really didn't like this place back then (because everybody back then had the same GNSF-like opinions), but eventually I realized this was a pretty fun place so I stuck around.

monosylab1k
04-07-2011, 01:57 AM
tbh back in 2006 if you ever made it a point to laugh at a phrase like "spurs=class" or "lol _irk Noringski", literally every spurs fan on the site would be on your ass because if you didn't believe spurs=class then you're just some classless _allas fan with no life cuz you're NOT a SPURS fan but you're posting on a SPURS message board!

Every Spurs fan here in 06 posted exactly like GNSF does now. I'm just glad you guys evolved.

monosylab1k
04-07-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm just glad you guys evolved.

unfortunately neither you nor any other mavfan did

IronMexican
04-07-2011, 02:12 AM
Not all spurfans were gnsf:rolleyes

Wonder whatever happened to samikey

tlongIII
04-07-2011, 02:41 PM
One day mom decided to send me by plane back to Oregon because she said my dad lived there. When I got there I didn't know anyone but remembered that my mom said he liked hooking up with animals and young Asian boys. I didn't know what that meant but this man let me stay with him and he said I reminded him of a friend. So after he gave me some Dr pepper that tasted flat the next thing I knew he said I fell bottom first on his broom while cleaning. After he helped me get dressed he said he found a pic of the guy he was talking about. It was my dad without a shirt in a bathroom almost identical to the one my mom gave me except mine had a boy drawing on his belly or something. Anyway that pic was on this site and brought me and my daddy together.

TheProfessor
04-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Thaaaaaaat fuckin' guy... :lol

I remember when he wasn't clowning himself by being hypocritically sanctimonious, baiting the Argentinians from behind Dusty's apron strings, or pretending his "SR Reporter" tagline meant he didn't actually work at Freebirds, he'd share his experiences of going on SciFi channel-style ghost hunts.

And not once an invite :(

Anyway, I ended up here for the same reason as Fpoonsie. Minimal power corrupted some mods there absolutely, and they chased all the good people away.
:lol I'm still not sure what being an "SR Reporter" actually meant.

And yeah, same here as far as SR. It's sad to look at it now, nothing but newsbot posts.

mouse
04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I forgot the guy's name, but at one time their inside source/mod actually did know details about the inner workings of the team. Wonder what happened to him, actually. Smart guy.

I think his name was LJ.

Oneton
04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Got on in 04 forgot my pw then came back a few years later as I. Hustle.

Tito's Tattews
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I just got out and my primo showed me what the internet was. When I wasn't checking out pics of naked chicks I was looking for potential customers. I specialize in tatting up the back of the lower leg. I hit a gold mine on this site. If you haven't seen my work I can draw some firme spurs ese.

RedsLakers24
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
When Kobe demanded a trade, i was going to every website to find out every rumor there was.

DMC
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
If this thread exists, my bad in advance.

I remember once posting several times at Spursreport only to be banned. The mods there are completely anal if you write something that they think is of trolling character. I then started to roam around Spurstalk for some time before finally making an account (yours truly).
This thread does exist. fyi... :D

I don't remember how I got here, but I remember how I left.

The Reckoning
04-07-2011, 05:28 PM
he'd share his experiences of going on SciFi channel-style ghost hunts.

:lmao

why im here?

mookie created a troll account with my name back in '05...eventually i found out the password, changed it and then came back to post in '08.

i still troll as myself per se because everyone here is so gullible, but yeah it's still me.

sa_butta
04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I use to get my news from the WOAI.com spurs section and there was a link.

1Parker1
04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Hard for me to find enthuastic Spurs fan in Philadelphia. So I decided to search online :)

SpursWoman
04-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Hard for me to find enthuastic Spurs fan in Philadelphia. So I decided to search online :)

Oh, damn ... the other day I was reading an old thread that you had posted in and was going to try and send you a message to see if you were still alive.

I guess that's a "yes". :)

tlongII
04-07-2011, 06:46 PM
1P1 sighting!

Drachen
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Am I the only one that got here from that WOAI Spurs page? They used to have some interesting articles there, I (think) Kori wrote there, and they would have links to Spurstalk, and I would always come back so I just stayed...

I am a little unclear about the actual chronology of events, but I know I used to post on SR.com and I think it was linked to the WOAI page at the time. Then they de-linked the two and SR was down for about 3 or 4 weeks and I kept looking for another message board. I don't remember if ST was then linked to WOAI or if I just found it. Either way, I know I was an OG member since my spur tells me so.

Sancha
04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
I was looking for my baby daddy on a heat site and shit and that maricon ended up in san Antonio selling trailers and trying to act like he didn't know me and shit

Drachen
04-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Just checked the ol stompin grounds (SR). Yeah, I agree, its pretty bad. Most threads have <4 replies and they only have ONE Tiago thread. Any respectable spurs forum will have at least 19 Tiago threads, as well as 32 Bonner sucks threads since last week!

Jesus is my friend!
04-07-2011, 09:38 PM
I was looking for another friend!

sweatshop slave
04-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I came here for better pay!

Google.
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I used myself to get here.

“bright and shiny”
04-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Things weren't looking so bright at SR so I came here.

:)

ALVAREZ6
04-07-2011, 11:00 PM

When's the last time you posted? :lol Completely forgot about you. Damn it I've been here for too long.

Don't Stop Believin
04-07-2011, 11:05 PM
I still believe SR can make a great come back!

(If they unbanned the mouse)

SnakeBoy
04-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I was looking for a spurs site to talk trash to since my mavs were pretty good in the day.

I hate to break it to you but your mavs were never very good.

mavsfan1000
04-07-2011, 11:11 PM
They were good enough to knock your team out.

SnakeBoy
04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
That just means my team wasn't very good then either.

mavsfan1000
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
That just means my team wasn't very good then either.
It kept them from 3-peating. I would say your team was pretty good that year. ;)

mouse
04-08-2011, 12:10 AM

How bad is your memory?
30 point loss.
:lmao

San Antonio Spurs 80

Dallas Mavericks 110

http://blogs.bettor.com/San-Antonio-Spurs-vs-Dallas-Mavericks-NBA-Preview-a59679

xellos88330
04-08-2011, 02:47 AM
I think I found it after the '07 Finals. I might have been drunk googling. I don't remember exactly.

DarkReign
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
05 Finals. Came to talk shit, ended up staying and talking much less shit.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2011, 10:50 AM
05 Finals. Came to talk shit, ended up staying and talking much less shit.

A lot less shit :D

stretch
04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
tbqh, i think its arguable that the 05-06 Spurs were the best Spurs team ever. They just ran into a motivated Mavs team who matched up extremely well with the Spurs, and were barely on the wrong end of the stick at the end of perhaps one of the 3 greatest and most competitive playoff series of all time.

But that Spurs team had some incredible chemistry and balance. I don't think I've ever been as intimidated by a Spurs team as I was that year. To me its a toss-up between the 05-06 Spurs squad, and the 04-05 Spurs squad. Both were quite tough.

I know people will say "05-06 Spurs didnt win a championship so they dont belong in the discussion of best Spurs team ever", but thats a bunch of crap. We already know that there have been a number of teams in NBA history that didnt win the NBA title, that in other seasons, could steamroll their way to a title, such as some of those Jazz teams who had the misfortune of running into the Bulls, or the years that the Lakers/Celtics were constantly duking it out against each other in the 80s, or even some of those Kings teams in the early 2000s. Applies in other sports as well, such as the 2007 Pats, who honestly would probably win 8 out of 10 times against the Giants, or the 2001 Rams who would probably win 8 out of 10 times against the Pats, or the 97 Packers who would probably win 8 out of 10 times against the Broncos.

DarkReign
04-08-2011, 11:08 AM
A lot less shit :D

Truth.