PDA

View Full Version : Kobe praises Hayward

lefty
04-06-2011, 09:37 AM
"I'm very, very fond of him," Bryant said. "He's a very skilled, all-around player. I think he's going to have a very bright future in this league. He reminds me of a more talented Jeff Hornacek. Jeff couldn't put the ball on the floor as well as (Hayward) can."

in2deep
04-06-2011, 09:39 AM
" He reminds me of a more talented Jeff Hornacek. "

:lmao Kobe has lost it

Cry Havoc
04-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Exhibit 4,375 of why NBA players do not make good scouts/evaluators of talent.

Axe Murderer
04-06-2011, 10:23 AM
Kobe's always been a real humble interview guy in regards to other players

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I still think Hayward is a fuckin moron for leaving Butler last year, if he's there this year they easily beat UCONN in that national title game game (with a much easier road getting there), and he's still a top 10 pick in a very weak draft.

Oh, and the Hornacek reference makes no sense. Hayward is a very athletic guy with a good (not great) shot who's better with the ball in his hands. Hornacek was a stud catch and shoot threat who scored off the dime mostly.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Never give your talent away.

I'm really surprised that a class action hasn't been attempted thru the years to end college's hold on the employment of individuals. I'm sure there is a gentlemen's agreement in place.

Cry Havoc
04-06-2011, 10:33 AM
college's hold on the employment of individuals

wat

SourCandy
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
This was a shot at clutch kobe :lol

The Gemini Method
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
With Hayward, Butler would've beaten UConn I think...The dude will be a 12-16 ppg scorer and somewhere between a 3-5 assist kind of guy. Not necessarily a superstar, but he's not going to be that bad in the Jazz situation.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:03 AM
wat

Cully strikes me as someone who thinks colleges are terrible places promoting a communist agenda.

Gordon Hayward
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Jeff Hornacek? What the fuck?

The Gemini Method
04-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Wally szerbiak 2.0 imho

I think he's more willing to get at it than Sczerbiak. Last night he wasn't afraid to go amongst Bynum and Odom (Gasol is reverting to softy bitch made status). The hustle and effort with etch out a solid, not spectacular, career for the Stuart lookalike.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I'm sure there is a gentlemen's agreement in place.

:lmao yeah, it's called an "athletic scholarship".

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Cully strikes me as someone who thinks colleges are terrible places promoting a communist agenda.

No. They have a sweetheart deal stealing talented days/months/years from a young person's finite supply. A wink & a nod twixt them & the employer (professional sports teams) is conspiracy & a criminal act.

Never, ever, ever, give your talent away, no matter it's presentation.

Gordon Hayward
04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Never give your talent away.

I'm really surprised that a class action hasn't been attempted thru the years to end college's hold on the employment of individuals. I'm sure there is a gentlemen's agreement in place.

What kind of nonsensical garbage is this?

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:12 AM
:lmao yeah, it's called an "athletic scholarship".

That's compulsory. Westinghouse doesn't require that "I" go to college for one year if "my" genius can move their stock. The NBA, in collusion with the NCAA decrees "me" to give them 1 year of a finite supply of my "genius."

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:21 AM
That's compulsory. Westinghouse doesn't require that "I" go to college for one year if "my" genius can move their stock. The NBA, in collusion with the NCAA decrees "me" to give them 1 year of a finite supply of my "genius."

Corporations and companies that are private entities can set whatever precedent they want for employment. The NBA doesn't even decree they go to college, the specific wording is something like "1 year past high school". It's not like the NBA is the one business in the world that requires some kind of post high school experience/employment.

And you're wrong about the NCAA liking the 1 year rule. The NCAA hates the 1 year rule. Several famous coaches (such as Bob Knight) have vehemently complained about it and have called it a tragedy that the NCAA has yet to do anything about letting the NBA dictate how their league is run. Most NCAA fans (me included) hate the rule. The guys like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose who could have just as easily skipped college never win anything, all they do is dominate for a year and then lose to an experienced team in March. If it were up to the NCAA, the 1 year rule would be gone.

jag
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Corporations and companies that are private entities can set whatever precedent they want for employment. The NBA doesn't even decree they go to college, the specific wording is something like "1 year past high school". It's not like the NBA is the one business in the world that requires some kind of post high school experience/employment.

And you're wrong about the NCAA liking the 1 year rule. The NCAA hates the 1 year rule. Several famous coaches (such as Bob Knight) have vehemently complained about it and have called it a tragedy that the NCAA has yet to do anything about letting the NBA dictate how their league is run. Most NCAA fans (me included) hate the rule. The guys like Kevin Durant or Derrick Rose who could have just as easily skipped college never win anything, all they do is dominate for a year and then lose to an experienced team in March. If it were up to the NCAA, the 1 year rule would be gone.

Good luck convincing him of anything.

Cue Culburn's "nu uh, I ain't buying it".

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:25 AM
^Especially since the 1 and done guys are the ones who create nearly all the improper benefit/eligibility investigations for the NCAA to deal with. The 1 year rule has created more of a mess than added attention for the NCAA.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Though the NBA is one business that does require a year in college for participation. The NCAA is in bed with the NBA as they drain that one year of talent at no cost nor risk for themselves. The player is not getting paid and is risking his entire future earnings with no protection. It's legalized theft.

Giving away one year of talent is gross.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
^Especially since the 1 and done guys are the ones who create nearly all the improper benefit/eligibility investigations for the NCAA to deal with. The 1 year rule has created more of a mess than added attention for the NCAA.

It's a cash cow, DUNCAN. There is no risk to the employer (NCAA).

"I" can be POTUS at birth on American soil. But, "I" can't play in the NBA till "I" hand them a % of my fixed talent.

It's unconsionable.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Though the NBA is one business that does require a year in college for participation. The NCAA is in bed with the NBA as they drain that one year of talent at no cost nor risk for themselves. The player is not getting paid and is risking his entire future earnings with no protection. It's legalized theft.

Giving away one year of talent is gross.

They don't require a year of college. They require a year out of high school. The player can just as easily go to Europe for a year where he would be paid. I can give you an example of this if you wish (Brandon Jennings).

And as I said, guys like Wall and Rose playing 1 year of college does nothing for the NCAA. Scott Drew and John Calipari are maybe the two college coaches who like the rule.

Lute Olson, after the Jennings fiasco, talked about how impossible it is dealing with the 1 and done recruits and said he'd never deal with them again as they are all about themselves.

Why do you think Coach K. never recruits marquee, 1 and done talent? He has no interest in having someone who's gonna work out at Duke for a year, never really be part of the team, then go to the NBA.

The list goes on with coaches who avoid 1 and done talent like the plague. The NCAA hates dealing with it, they'd prefer guys like Rose, Cousins or most of Baylor's recruits go to the NBA than give them a recruiting process that needs to be investigated and sanctioned.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
It's a cash cow, DUNCAN. There is no risk to the employer (NCAA).

"I" can be POTUS at birth on American soil. But, "I" can't play in the NBA till "I" hand them a % of my fixed talent.

1) You can't be POTUS till you're 35 years old, that's a lot more than the "1 year out of high school" NBA requirement.
2) You don't have to hand the NCAA 1 year of talent. I've already explained this.
3) Technically, you're right I guess that you don't need college to run for president, but good luck getting elected.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
The entire premise of your argument is that the NBA requires players go to college for a 1 year which isn't true.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
They don't require a year of college. They require a year out of high school. The player can just as easily go to Europe for a year where he would be paid. I can give you an example of this if you wish (Brandon Jennings).

And as I said, guys like Wall and Rose playing 1 year of college does nothing for the NCAA. Scott Drew and John Calipari are maybe the two college coaches who like the rule.

Lute Olson, after the Jennings fiasco, talked about how impossible it is dealing with the 1 and done recruits and said he'd never deal with them again as they are all about themselves.

Why do you think Coach K. never recruits marquee, 1 and done talent? He has no interest in having someone who's gonna work out at Duke for a year, never really be part of the team, then go to the NBA.

The list goes on with coaches who avoid 1 and done talent like the plague. The NCAA hates dealing with it, they'd prefer guys like Rose, Cousins or most of Baylor's recruits go to the NBA than give them a recruiting process that needs to be investigated and sanctioned.

The NCAA and individual coaches are at polar extremes. They're mutally exclusive.

Requiring that they sit out is a red herring. "They" know the vast lion's share of kids will metriculate for at least that one year, and they're risking nothing for that year, hoping that the kid will extend a year or more at a time.

I can sell widgets without sitting out a year.

jag
04-06-2011, 11:42 AM

The NBA should have their draft eligibility requirements similar to those of the NFL. Three years out of high school to be eligible.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:43 AM
The entire premise of your argument is that the NBA requires players go to college for a 1 year which isn't true.

No. You corrected me, but, my argument is still germane.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:46 AM
The NBA should have their draft eligibility requirements similar to those of the NFL. Three years out of high school to be eligible.

IMO, it shouldn't be like that because the difference between an NBA body and a high school body isn't that extreme. The NFL needs that rule because a 230 pound defensive end coming out of high school would get tossed around like a rag doll if he went straight to the NFL.

If it were up to me, players should have the option of going to the NBA straight out of high school, or going to college/Euroleague/whatever for at least 3 years. The 1 year thing needs to go though.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM

That'll never happen in the NBAPERIOD

They'll be extremely fortunate not to lose the 1 year exemption.

A class action rendering boundless damages would not be out of the realm of probability.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I can sell widgets without sitting out a year.

Nevertheless, a company that sells widgets has every right to require all of its employees be 1 year removed from high school if it desires.

Cane
04-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Agreed. It'd make both the NBA and NCAA a higher quality product as well since players will stick around in colleges or overseas that will develop their game and help weed out a lot of the busts and headcases.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Nevertheless, a company that sells widgets has every right to require all of its employees be 1 year removed from high school if it desires.

Specious. They can all require that its employees be 25 years removed from high school for that matter.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Cully, I agree with you in the sense that the 1 year rule is stupid and unnecessary for the NBA, I just disagree with the premise that the NCAA wanted it and had a gentleman's deal with the NBA to get it. IMO, it's just one of the stupid things Stern has done (dress code, composite leather basketball) in an attempt to become more like the NFL while serving no purpose. Making players go to college for 1 year doesn't help them develop in the slightest.

jag
04-06-2011, 11:54 AM
IMO, it shouldn't be like that because the difference between an NBA body and a high school body isn't that extreme. The NFL needs that rule because a 230 pound defensive end coming out of high school would get tossed around like a rag doll if he went straight to the NFL.

If it were up to me, players should have the option of going to the NBA straight out of high school, or going to college/Euroleague/whatever for at least 3 years. The 1 year thing needs to go though.

I understand the argument for the physicality of the NFL being the reason they need 3 years out of HS, but how many NBA players are ready to go right away? I think the League is worried about having so many inexperienced players out there hurting the sport. I was listening to a Charles Barkley interview the other day and he was talking about how the League sucks now because none of these kids are ready. And it's hard to disagree with him.

There's no way the NBA goes back to letting players go straight from HS. It's rare that any of these kids are ready right away. The Durants, Roses and Lebrons are the exception not the rule. Three years might be a bit much, but 2 years minimum out of HS would be a smart move. It would improve the quality of play in the NBA and the NCAA.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I understand the argument for the physicality of the NFL being the reason they need 3 years out of HS, but how many NBA players are ready to go right away? I think the League is worried about having so many inexperienced players out there hurting the sport. I was listening to a Charles Barkley interview the other day and he was talking about how the League sucks now because none of these kids are ready. And it's hard to disagree with him.

There's no way the NBA goes back to letting players go straight from HS. It's rare that any of these kids are ready right away. The Durants, Roses and Lebrons are the exception not the rule. Three years might be a bit much, but 2 years minimum out of HS would be a smart move. It would improve the quality of play in the NBA and the NCAA.

I agree with all of this, just don't ever see it happening.

The NBA talent level is thinning out even though it's becoming more physically gifted and athletic. That's because no one develops in college like they need to. An entire generation of big men (Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bynum, etc.) have done nothing in the NBA because they all came in too raw. Even guys like Kobe and KG needed a few years to get it because they weren't initially ready.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 11:59 AM
Cully, I agree with you in the sense that the 1 year rule is stupid and unnecessary for the NBA, I just disagree with the premise that the NCAA wanted it and had a gentleman's deal with the NBA to get it. IMO, it's just one of the stupid things Stern has done (dress code, composite leather basketball) in an attempt to become more like the NFL while serving no purpose. Making players go to college for 1 year doesn't help them develop in the slightest.

It's "Stern" acting as bag man delivering to the NCAA their payoff for harvesting talent for Stern's business concern. 1 year is better than 0 years like it was. And with the 1 year there is always the chance of more years. With 0 years, that's it. Game over. There is no potentional then.

It's not the right, nor the privilege for the NBA, and/or the NCAA to mandate the formation of talent, individulally, or, collectively. That's hideous.

Hell, get in line with GM, Dow Chemical, Circle-K, Wal-Mart, et al and etc just like everyone else.

Kyle Orton
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
The 1 year rule has had the reverse effect in some scenarios actually. Guys who would normally stay for 2-3 years go to college for 1 year then say, "Fuck it, the NBA mandates I only need 1 year, I'm good." It's a stupid rule that has done jack shit to develop players, and there have been little to no situations where it caused a 1 and done stud to stay for his sophomore year. Guys like Durant, Rose and Oden got their 1 year done and basically said I'm off to the NBA now that that's over with.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I agree with all of this, just don't ever see it happening.

The NBA talent level is thinning out even though it's becoming more physically gifted and athletic. That's because no one develops in college like they need to. An entire generation of big men (Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Andrew Bynum, etc.) have done nothing in the NBA because they all came in too raw. Even guys like Kobe and KG needed a few years to get it because they weren't initially ready.

But, that's not the NCAA/NBA right to mandate physical development. They're not doing so out of a magnanimous bent. They're not a non profit concern. They're trying to make a dollar & a dime on somebody's talent without paying for it. If that kid is worth $6 million the first year in the NBA. Yet he's giving that same $6 million talent away a year earlier and the NCAA is making the $6 million dollars.

jag
04-06-2011, 12:13 PM
The only thing I think the NCAA would be worried about from a financial standpoint if the NBA went to a two year minimum is the possibility of players taking their talents to Europe.

Killakobe81
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
People can get to hung up on comparisons ... although i agree Gordon is much more athletic ...hornacek wasnt a horrible athlete ESPECIALLY in the mid 80's early 90's (when the league was less athletic as a whole) he was a pretty good all around player before he got to Utah when he was pretty much just a shooter.
Plus keep in mind the kid has had two 20 point games on the Lakers so that clouds Kobe's view a bit ...when i was younger I used to overrate players that were "laker killers" because i watched only Laker games and the national games were scarce. I thought terry teagle, alvin Roberston, Kevin johnson, were all "studs" based on how they torched the Lakeshow when only KJ was truly all-star caliber ...

jjktkk
04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Wally szerbiak 2.0 imho

Hayward is a better athlete, with better handles imho.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
& the ruddy complexion is adorable. He looks like I always envisioned DUNCAN.

jjktkk
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
People can get to hung up on comparisons ... although i agree Gordon is much more athletic ...hornacek wasnt a horrible athlete ESPECIALLY in the mid 80's early 90's (when the league was less athletic as a whole) he was a pretty good all around player before he got to Utah when he was pretty much just a shooter.
Plus keep in mind the kid has had two 20 point games on the Lakers so that clouds Kobe's view a bit ...when i was younger I used to overrate players that were "laker killers" because i watched only Laker games and the national games were scarce. I thought terry teagle, alvin Roberston, Kevin johnson, were all "studs" based on how they torched the Lakeshow when only KJ was truly all-star caliber ...

Alvin Robertson was a beast on defense. Usually led the league back then in steals and, I can't remember what year, but he won DPOY back in the early 80s.

jjktkk
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM
& the ruddy complexion is adorable. He looks like I always envisioned DUNCAN.

Kinda sad, but also kinda funny, to see you reaching Koriwhat status Culby. Your on your way to reaching your goals old timer. :tu

Girasuck
04-06-2011, 03:32 PM

This is somewhat true, but Hayward has really turned it on over the past few weeks. It's nice to see that we didn't actually waste a lottery pick last year.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Kinda sad, but also kinda funny, to see you reaching Koriwhat status Culby. Your on your way to reaching your goals old timer. :tu

You'd better ring, or, woe be to you. I'm comin' after you & your's like the last porkchop on the plate.

DMC
04-06-2011, 03:46 PM
I think a kid who is talented enough and obviously physical enough to make into the NBA should be allowed to do so. I see no reason to use the NCAA as a conduit to the NBA. Sure the NBA has the right to require it, but big money that can pay a full tuition several times over should not be bypassed for the sake of presumably higher quality players. Most of the great NBA players today never played NCAA ball. Kevin Durant went one year. So you have Kobe, Durant and James with a combined 1 year of college between them.

With the risk of career ending injuries looming, the kids (often poor) should take what they can get to get them through life.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I see no reason to use the NCAA as a conduit to the NBA.

Exactly.

jmanu20
04-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Alvin Robertson was a beast on defense. Usually led the league back then in steals and, I can't remember what year, but he won DPOY back in the early 80s.

Agreed, and he is also 1 of only 4 players in NBA history with a quadruple-double. Regardless of his off-court troubles later on, he was most definitely an All-Star caliber.

jjktkk
04-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I think a kid who is talented enough and obviously physical enough to make into the NBA should be allowed to do so. I see no reason to use the NCAA as a conduit to the NBA. Sure the NBA has the right to require it, but big money that can pay a full tuition several times over should not be bypassed for the sake of presumably higher quality players. Most of the great NBA players today never played NCAA ball. Kevin Durant went one year. So you have Kobe, Durant and James with a combined 1 year of college between them.

With the risk of career ending injuries looming, the kids (often poor) should take what they can get to get them through life.

This.

DMX7
04-06-2011, 06:54 PM
http://i.mediatakeout.com/photo/1302094595shannon_lamar_nekkid1.jpg

Fish looks like he's liking what he sees.

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
That might be Eva Longoria. She's has that type ass.

DMX7
04-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Is she Black?

Giuseppe
04-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Is she Black?

Hard to tell with all the pancake makeup she wears, + the person in the picture is bent over.