PDA

View Full Version : Obama on gas prices: Better get used to it

DarrinS
04-06-2011, 03:38 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-says-little-shortterm-apf-1680912387.html?x=0&.v=4

FAIRLESS HILLS, Pa. (AP) -- Pitching the promise of energy independence, President Barack Obama cautioned Wednesday that it's going to be tough to transition from America's oil-dependent economy and acknowledged there's little he can do to lower gas prices over the short term.

"I'm just going to be honest with you. There's not much we can do next week or two weeks from now," the president told workers at a wind turbine plant. It's a theme Obama's struck before as he tries to show voters he's attuned to a top economic concern with gas prices pushing toward $4 a gallon.

Obama said he wants to move toward "a future where America is less dependent on foreign oil, more reliant on clean energy produced by workers like you." That will happen by reducing oil imports, tapping domestic energy sources and shifting the nation to renewable and less polluting sources of energy, such as wind, the president says. He has set a goal of reducing oil imports by one-third by 2025.

But the president said it won't happen overnight and if any politician says it's easy, "they're not telling the truth."

"Gas prices? They're going to still fluctuate until we can start making these broader changes, and that's going to take a couple of years to have serious effect," Obama said.

Obama needled one questioner who asked about gas prices, now averaging close to $3.70 a gallon nationwide, and suggested that the gentleman consider getting rid of his gas-guzzling vehicle.

"If you're complaining about the price of gas and you're only getting 8 miles a gallon, you know," Obama said laughingly. "You might want to think about a trade-in."

The president spoke at a town hall meeting at Gamesa Technology Corp., a Spanish company that makes giant turbines that use wind to generate electricity. According to the White House, it is the first overseas company of its kind to set up shop in the U.S.

Back in Washington, negotiations continued on a budget deal to avert a government shutdown Friday and Obama urged lawmakers to get it done. The president said he wants to cut spending, but not at the expense of cutting priorities like energy and education.

As fuel prices rise because of growing demand worldwide and political unrest in oil-producing nations in North Africa and the Middle East, drivers are feeling pinched at the pump. Republicans blame Obama and his policies and he, in turn, is striving to show the public that he gets it.

Gasoline prices rose another 2 cents Tuesday to a new national average of just over $3.68 a gallon, according to AAA and other sources. Obama's visit to Gamesa was his fourth energy event since March 11. He's scheduled a fifth for Friday in Indianapolis.

Obama argues that shifting to cleaner and domestic energy sources will help create jobs and boost U.S. competitiveness.

Education is another item on Obama's competitiveness agenda. That issue was to be the focus of a speech he was giving later Wednesday to the Rev. Al Sharpton's civil rights group in New York City. Obama's appearance keeps a promise he made to the National Action Network when he spoke there as a presidential candidate in 2007. Obama pledged to return, win or lose.

He returns just two days after launching his re-election bid. He is facing a key constituency that at times has scolded him for not being attentive enough to certain issues, such as double-digit black unemployment, but continues to hold him in high regard.

Obama deflects such criticism by arguing that his polices to expand the economy, create jobs and improve the education system, among other goals, will help the country as a whole, blacks included.

Ninety-five percent of blacks who voted, opted for Obama in 2008. A Gallup poll released last week showed his job approval among blacks holding at 84 percent, about the same as six months earlier.

coyotes_geek
04-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Obama is right. What's the problem here?

Winehole23
04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
^^^ :tu

George Gervin's Afro
04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Obama is right. What's the problem here?

darrins would rather him be dishonest.. of course darrins probably drives a vehicle that gets 10 mpg..

DarrinS
04-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Obama's "Cadillac One" gets 8 mpg. Maybe that's why he laughed.

Winehole23
04-06-2011, 03:43 PM
So Obama is an out of touch elitist. Does that make him wrong about the price of gas?

DarrinS
04-06-2011, 04:06 PM
So Obama is an out of touch elitist. Does that make him wrong about the price of gas?

Did I say he was wrong?

TeyshaBlue
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Just what the hell are you saying, Darrin?

Viva Las Espuelas
04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
So basically, if you cant afford it, do something about it so you won't have to bitch anymore and afford it or do/get something else so you won't have to bitch anymore about it. Is that what should be taken from all that. Is that what everyone is basing their hallpass on?

jack sommerset
04-06-2011, 04:16 PM
If Obongo is serious about us becoming energy independent the price of gas will drop pretty fast. I know the gas business. Just ask clambake.

LOL@barry pitching the promise of energy independence.

Hey george, see if there is a poll out there that says americans believe barry will keep this promise.

DarrinS
04-06-2011, 04:19 PM
I guess all the blue-collar working class folks that NEED a truck for their jobs are just screwed.

Winehole23
04-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Is the president supposed to do something about gas prices? I thought you were a free market guy, D.

Winehole23
04-06-2011, 04:27 PM
The guy who needs his truck for work presumably can still make deductions for gas and depreciation on his taxes. Are you suggesting he deserves some kind of extra handout, and that Obama should take the lead in seeing he gets it?

LnGrrrR
04-06-2011, 04:28 PM

Pretty sure that's not an "ordinary" car. I think bulletproofing adds a little weight.

TeyshaBlue
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
The blue collar worker that needs a truck for his job? I can't think of very many that fit that descriptor off the top of my head. Parts runners?

TeyshaBlue
04-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Pretty sure that's not an "ordinary" car. I think bulletproofing adds a little weight.

Of course, the armor is balsa wood, so I'm sure that doesn't factor in either.:lol:downspin:

clambake
04-06-2011, 04:32 PM
maybe darrin is upset about all the money he spent at truck driving school.

baseline bum
04-06-2011, 04:32 PM
The blue collar worker that needs a truck for his job? I can't think of very many that fit that descriptor off the top of my head. Parts runners?

You don't watch enough Ford F-150 commercials.

coyotes_geek
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
So basically, if you cant afford it, do something about it so you won't have to bitch anymore and afford it or do/get something else so you won't have to bitch anymore about it. Is that what should be taken from all that. Is that what everyone is basing their hallpass on?

So what exactly are we supposed to be calling Obama on here?

I don't see gas getting significantly cheaper anytime soon. Do you?

I guess all the blue-collar working class folks that NEED a truck for their jobs are just screwed.

I guess so. Hey, maybe we could start up some new welfare program to help make gas cheaper? You'd be okay with that, what with you being so concerned over the wellbeing of the blue-collar working class folks, right?

TeyshaBlue
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
You don't watch enough Ford F-150 commercials.

Mike Fucking Rowe gets on my last nerve.:flipoff

boutons_deux
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
If they need a truck for their jobs, then the truck and expenses would be tax deductible as business expenses, right?

TeyshaBlue
04-06-2011, 04:47 PM
If they need a truck for their jobs, then the truck and expenses would be tax deductible as business expenses, right?

Should be....plus mileage.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-06-2011, 04:53 PM
So what exactly are we supposed to be calling Obama on here?

I don't see gas getting significantly cheaper anytime soon. Do you?

You didn't address what I posted so I'll pose another question like you did. Your questions really aren't what I was getting at but I know how assumptions are here.

Would you be ok with it if a republican president told you that? If Bush 43 told you that?

LnGrrrR
04-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Would you be ok with it if a republican president told you that? If Bush 43 told you that?

:lol Yup, C_G is a hardcore liberal.

What's to take offense to? A President saying that someone getting a low MPG shouldn't complain about high gas prices? *gasp* What an asshole!

Shit, I bet it won't be long before that dirty mf'er tells us to check our tire pressure too!

boutons_deux
04-06-2011, 05:10 PM
Darrin is battling Yoni for most laughable anklebiter

DarrinS
04-06-2011, 05:14 PM
boutons is battling ChumpDumper for most loyal DarrinS nuthugger

fify

coyotes_geek
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
You didn't address what I posted so I'll pose another question like you did. Your questions really aren't what I was getting at but I know how assumptions are here.

Okay, so what are you getting at?

I think high gas prices are going to be here for a while. So if a president is going to tell me something I agree with, what difference does it make whether he's democrat or republican?

But to answer your question, yes, I'd be just as okay with Bush 43 telling me that I believe to be true as I am with Obama telling it to me. I'd also be okay hearing it from Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Gaddafi, Ghandi, Miley Cyrus, Mr. T, Darth Vader and Papa Smurf.

ManuBalboa
04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Jokes on him. Not only does my vehicle get only 8 mpg, someone drives me around 24/7, I take extra long vacations in my vehicle, and I pay for it all with credit cards while I run my family's finances into infinite bankruptcy.

u mad Obama? u mad?

MannyIsGod
04-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Do most people need vehicles like that for the same reason the president does?

MannyIsGod
04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Okay, so what are you getting at?

I think high gas prices are going to be here for a while. So if a president is going to tell me something I agree with, what difference does it make whether he's democrat or republican?

But to answer your question, yes, I'd be just as okay with Bush 43 telling me that I believe to be true as I am with Obama telling it to me. I'd also be okay hearing it from Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Nixon, Gaddafi, Ghandi, Miley Cyrus, Mr. T, Darth Vader and Papa Smurf.

:tu

This is why I like you C_G.

jman3000
04-06-2011, 09:00 PM
I would not be ok with Darth Vader telling me about high gas prices.

admiralsnackbar
04-06-2011, 09:14 PM
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll320/snackbar50/WAH.jpg

"That's impossible!"

--jman3000

ChumpDumper
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Would you be ok with it if a republican president told you that? If Bush 43 told you that?I think it would be awesome if any Republican had the balls to say something like that rather than pretend "drill, baby, drill" would make any real difference at the pump.

George Gervin's Afro
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I think it would be awesome if any Republican had the balls to say something like that rather than pretend "drill, baby, drill" would make any real difference at the pump.

it won't?:depressed

sincerely,

confused tea pottier

4>0rings
04-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Should be....plus mileage.
You can either write off the fuel or mileage, pick one.

ducks
04-07-2011, 12:37 AM

it still effects your bottom line

TeyshaBlue
04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
it still effects your bottom line

You can't totally negate the effects of driving a truck that gets 12 mpg. Sometimes it is what it is.

Sigz
04-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Fucking gas prices.

Who cares; I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee getting 17mpg city and I could give a fuck less.

I'd rather drive something I like then some little ass car that I can barely fit my nuts into.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2011, 07:19 PM
:lmao

You bitched and said you had a small car.

If you don't care then don't start threads crying like a little bitch about the issue. Boohoo :( :( :( :(

Drachen
04-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I am happy that a politician finally decided to tell us the truth, regardless of how uncomfortable it is.

Sigz
04-07-2011, 07:49 PM

You bitched and said you had a small car.

If you don't care then don't start threads crying like a little bitch about the issue. Boohoo :( :( :( :(

Had.

Picked up my JGC yesterday.

Nigga.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
So you bitched about gas prices one day and within a week went and bought an SUV? God damn you're dumber than I thought.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Got damn that's hilarious.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Fucking gay.

$3.69; and that's considered CHEAP compared to what some other people are paying in other states.

I spent over $70 to fill up my fucking small CAR.

I'm not rich. I'm a fucking broke ass college student NEEDING to drive to school and to work. I can't stand paying this, and I don't know if I can.

This is getting fucking ridiculous.

Nbadan
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
$70 to fill up my fucking small CAR.

70 divided by 3.50 equals a twenty gallon tank....that's no small car...sir...

Sigz
04-07-2011, 09:01 PM
So you bitched about gas prices one day and within a week went and bought an SUV? God damn you're dumber than I thought.

Don't swear over god feller.

Drachen
04-07-2011, 09:02 PM
70 divided by 3.50 equals a twenty gallon tank....that's no small car...sir...

My MINIVAN doesn't even take $70 to fill up. LOL.

Broke college student who has no money for gas goes and buys new less efficient car.

Trust me, you REALLY REALLY REALLY need that college education.

Sigz
04-07-2011, 09:07 PM
My MINIVAN doesn't even take $70 to fill up. LOL.

Broke college student who has no money for gas goes and buys new less efficient car.

Trust me, you REALLY REALLY REALLY need that college education.

Thanks feller, graduate in 31 days. :lobt2:

ChumpDumper
04-07-2011, 09:08 PM
lol broke

Drachen
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Thanks feller, graduate in 31 days. :lobt2:

I cringe to ask since Manny is lurking in this thread, but where from?

Sigz
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM
lol broke

Yes, but currently have a job lined immediately post graduation. I guess I'll consider myself lucky.

ChumpDumper
04-07-2011, 09:16 PM
Math is hard.

Sigz
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
i cringe to ask since manny is lurking in this thread, but where from?

uw.

MannyIsGod
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I cringe to ask since Manny is lurking in this thread, but where from?

Drachen
04-07-2011, 09:25 PM
uw.

WOOHOOO!
I mean... uh...
UW so which one?

Drachen
04-07-2011, 09:26 PM

From one arrogant prick to another, your ego needs no more food.

Sigz
04-07-2011, 10:05 PM
WOOHOOO!
I mean... uh...
UW so which one?

Uw madison.