PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take a human anatomy class?

Mavillionaire
04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Would like to take a biology class for summer to start knocking some of them out of the way. Here is the problem:

1) Take class with awesome teacher but class is only 1 month long, lots of material to cover and test over in a short amount of time.

2) Take class with shitty/unknown teacher but have 1 month and 3 weeks to finish.

Most classes I wouldn't care, I've done a summer class before but for anatomy I'm unsure.

There is A LOT of studying and memorizing involved in human anatomy and with only 1 month to do it in? Sounds insane.

What should I do? Any experiences?

ashbeeigh
04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
How are you with biology? Is this a requirement or are you just taking it to get a science credit out of the way? Will you have a lab too?

I took A&P II in college in the event that I might need it in Grad school. I'm not a biology person, per say. I struggled with it a bit (even though it is a 100 level class) as a senior Psychology major. If you're a science person then I wouldn't stress too much...but if this isn't your subject...it could be very stressful especially the cat section.

A&P I is a lot of memorizing, but it will build the foundation for more bio classes. Having a good professor will leave you with more knowledge and a better base. I thank God every day that I had the professors I had now because had I had shitty ones I would be struggling in Grad School. If this class is something you'll need in the future I would go with the good professor.

If they're good and you pay attention, who knows you might not need to study as much. With the second option, you are going in blind, but the professor could be good.

But you also didn't mention...can you take it in the Fall/Spring and have the full semester? That's what I would do.

This isn't a class that you can breeze through, it does lay the foundation for all future learning, like I said before.

Mavillionaire
04-07-2011, 11:37 PM
How are you with biology? Is this a requirement or are you just taking it to get a science credit out of the way? Will you have a lab too?
Not sure, 1st bio class. It is a requirement for my major, and yes a lab too.

I took A&P II in college in the event that I might need it in Grad school. I'm not a biology person, per say. I struggled with it a bit (even though it is a 100 level class) as a senior Psychology major. If you're a science person then I wouldn't stress too much...but if this isn't your subject...it could be very stressful especially the cat section.
I'm not a science nerd but I do like and understand the subject. Why stressful in the cat section?

A&P I is a lot of memorizing, but it will build the foundation for more bio classes. Having a good professor will leave you with more knowledge and a better base. I thank God every day that I had the professors I had now because had I had shitty ones I would be struggling in Grad School. If this class is something you'll need in the future I would go with the good professor.

If they're good and you pay attention, who knows you might not need to study as much. With the second option, you are going in blind, but the professor could be good.

But you also didn't mention...can you take it in the Fall/Spring and have the full semester? That's what I would do. I can take it in the Fall but I have a few Bio classes to take so if I don't take one now, I extend finishing my prereq's by a whole semester and I'd rather not do that.

TE
04-07-2011, 11:58 PM
I took A&P parts one and two during the summer of 09, it ain't that bad.

Just study your ass off and you'll be alright.

The labs for me were more helpful for the lecture because I had a badass fucking TA who taught us well.

CubanSucks
04-08-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm taking A&P 2 right now and took 1 last semester and tbh I can't imagine how sucky it would've been cramming all that shit in a month. Just learning EVERY single muscle, joint, bone and the tons of markings on each bone pretty much took an entire month of lab and that was just the anatomy part of one of the three practicals. The shittiest chapter has easily been the Endocrine system with the shit ton of hormones and their physiology as well as the extremely detailed chapter on fluid and electrolyte balance alone. With that said, it's not that bad of a subject if taken in a regular semester. Not sure if it's just a unique experience with my class but you kinda build somewhat of a comradery when your stuck with the same people for a 1 1/2 hour lecture then a 2 hour lab right after. But then again I had a real sweet (kinda hot) lady for my 1 teacher and a really cool easy going guy for my 2

SnakeBoy
04-08-2011, 02:29 AM
It's just memorization. Buy a set a crayons and these two books and you'll breeze through it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rjn5yJn3L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51X5XX6C51L._SL500_AA300_.jpg