PDA

View Full Version : Whos the strongest Spur?

gospursgojas
04-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Like literally, physically strong. . .

Overall?
Who do you think can bench the most?
Squat?

Whos the weakest?

My guess would be Dice for the strongest overall, and Quinn as the weakling.

Solid D
04-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Waiting for the "Matt Bonner" post...

gospursgojas
04-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Waiting for the "Matt Bonner" post...

Howd ya know I was

:fishing

Solid D
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I'd say Blair.

honestfool84
04-07-2011, 11:42 PM
i'd say Blair as the strongest... agree with the OP on Quinn being the weakest.

gospursgojas
04-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Dice probably benches the most...Blair probably squats the most though

Tiago probably does the most of the spotting

Libri
04-07-2011, 11:46 PM
Someone who is big may not necessarily be strong but I will say that Blair has the biggest bench and squat.

slayermin
04-07-2011, 11:50 PM
I don't see many players pushing Tim Duncan around. I think his toughness and strength is disguised by his gentleman nature on the court.

I go with TD.

TE
04-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Gary Neal is the strongest of the guards that's for sure.

I think Blair is the strongest of the forwards/centers.

gospursgojas
04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
Gary Neal is the strongest of the guards that's for sure.

I think Blair is the strongest of the forwards/centers.

Idk...George vs Neal would be a good fight.

greyforest
04-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I can almost guarantee DJB can bench the most. Remember, the taller you are, the harder it is to lift weights due to the physics of longer levers. That leverage helps rather than huts in many other situations though.

Libri
04-07-2011, 11:57 PM

Don't forget James Anderson.

TE
04-07-2011, 11:59 PM

In terms of fighting perhaps. But we're talking more in the realm of weight lifting. Neal has some stocky to him in comparison to Hill.

TE
04-08-2011, 12:00 AM
Don't forget James Anderson.

Or JA too. Dude has looked sluggish out there, but it might be because of weight lifting. :lol

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2011, 12:04 AM
DeJuan Blair and it ain't close. Dude with that much weight that jumps that high...you know that man can squat a car.

Libri
04-08-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't know if anybody remembers this but DRob used to do bicep curls with 90 lb dumbbells. DRob was a beast!

gospursgojas
04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Not a Spur, but wasnt there a rumor that when Durant first entered the league he couldnt bench the bar???

Russ
04-08-2011, 12:12 AM
This kind of post signals one of two things: (1) the end of the preseason or (2) the end of the regular season.

Let the playoffs begin!!!

gospursgojas
04-08-2011, 12:13 AM
This kind of post signals one of two things: (1) the end of the preseason or (2) the end of the regular season.

Let the playoffs begin!!!

Lol yeah, had enough of the Bonner sucks threads...BTW, Bonner sucks right?

Libri
04-08-2011, 12:25 AM
Not a Spur, but wasnt there a rumor that when Durant first entered the league he couldnt bench the bar???

I doubt if that's true. The Olympic barbell weighs 45 lbs.

phyzik
04-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Blair, in terms of brute strength, is the strongest Spur.

NBA Draft Numbers: DeJuan Blair: 12% body fat, 33-inch vert, 18 reps on the 185-lbs. bench, 11.50 agility, 3.50 sprint

I doubt that any current Spurs player can do 18 185-lbs bench reps.

for comparison, Blake Griffon did 22 reps.

Yorae
04-08-2011, 12:33 AM
If you ask pop, he'll answer "Matt Bonner". When asked why, he'll go "he stretches the floor". Well I guess you have to be particularly strong to stretch floors especially concretes....

Yorae
04-08-2011, 12:35 AM
Fighting strength, you sure do remember "Finish HIM!!!!!". Oh well thank god he's not in the roster (no offense meant, spare me)....

Tigole Bitties
04-08-2011, 12:40 AM
I doubt if that's true. The Olympic barbell weighs 45 lbs.

I think it was 135 lbs.

He couldn't do single rep with two 45 lb plates on each side :lol

Nathan89
04-08-2011, 12:47 AM
I think it was 135 lbs.

He couldn't do single rep with two 45 lb plates on each side :lol

I think it was something like 185lbs. There is no way in hell he couldn't lift 135lbs.

Point is he was weak.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2011, 02:03 AM

No, but he could barely bench like 185 once, I believe. Which is pathetic for a dude of his size, regardless of how long his tarantula arms are.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Dwight Howard I think came into the league maxing between 200-225 lbs. It didn't take him long to get to well above 400. Dude's a freak now.

ALVAREZ6
04-08-2011, 02:05 AM
Blair, in terms of brute strength, is the strongest Spur.

NBA Draft Numbers: DeJuan Blair: 12% body fat, 33-inch vert, 18 reps on the 185-lbs. bench, 11.50 agility, 3.50 sprint

I doubt that any current Spurs player can do 18 185-lbs bench reps.

for comparison, Blake Griffon did 22 reps.

I still think that's not impressive, but I guess benching isn't super important in basketball. I want to see his squat numbers. I only weigh 160 lbs and I can do at least 10 reps of 185.

Zero_Twilight
04-08-2011, 03:21 AM
Upper-body strength = Dice

Strongest core/Legs = Timmy is like a rock

Raw power = DeJuan Blair

Most damaging punch = Manu. Manu understands the science(speed/strength/balance) and in my opinion makes him the "strongest." That bat doesn't know what hit it.

bluefoot
04-08-2011, 03:25 AM
I don't know if anybody remembers this but DRob used to do bicep curls with 90 lb dumbbells. DRob was a beast!

No one remembers because that didn't happen. David was ripped and strong but he wasn't near those kind of weights.

Tp9gospursgo
04-08-2011, 03:30 AM
Strongest-Tiago
Weakest-Bonner
/thread

chazley
04-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Bonner is pretty built.

Think you guys are underrating him.

When I think strong though, I think it's McDyess hands down.

Bruno
04-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Few months ago, he question was asked to Mahinmi about who was the strongest Spurs in the weighting room. His answer was Blair and Bonner.

FYI, Bonner did 20 bench press at the pre-draft camp while Blair did 18.

BG_Spurs_Fan
04-08-2011, 04:56 AM
I'd def say Bonner has the build to be really good at bench pressing, short(ish) hands too. Not that it's a definite measure of overall strength but I'd be surprised if any other Spur, maybe barring Blair , could do better at bench pressing.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-08-2011, 05:46 AM
sad but its neal hahaha TD/george hill/ i know manu will be insane this year i just know it ....shit i cant wait to see playoff manu...i think depending on how pop rests them manu and tp can get their second wind come playoff time hehehe

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Few months ago, he question was asked to Mahinmi about who was the strongest Spurs in the weighting room. His answer was Blair and Bonner.

i know bonner can destroy me physically (supposedly) however its really sad that a short mexican is honestly not scared of a man that big. im sure most of us guys here have fought more/taken more hits in middle school than matt bonners sick gene pool combined.. like i said while i was talking shit about his defense and inflated minutes his relative or whoever that guy is turned around in his seat (a feeble attempt) to initiate some sort of intimidation factor...:wow and i can tell you they may be big boys but the "real man" inside that guy (similar to matty) was 4ft tall. you can just tell those dudes have never felt a real punch.

ManuBalboa
04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
^^ not sure if serious?
Bonner's gene pool consists of Viking Warlords possessing numerous conquests across Northern Europa.

I believe it about Bonner tbh. It's a lot easier to bench with smaller arms.

fyatuk
04-08-2011, 07:51 AM
agree with the OP on Quinn being the weakest.

I'm not sure on that. Novak looks pretty gangly, and is quite a bit taller.

Juggity
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
i know bonner can destroy me physically (supposedly) however its really sad that a short mexican is honestly not scared of a man that big. im sure most of us guys here have fought more/taken more hits in middle school than matt bonners sick gene pool combined.. like i said while i was talking shit about his defense and inflated minutes his relative or whoever that guy is turned around in his seat (a feeble attempt) to initiate some sort of intimidation factor...:wow and i can tell you they may be big boys but the "real man" inside that guy (similar to matty) was 4ft tall. you can just tell those dudes have never felt a real punch.

I don't think his gene pool has anything to do with the fact that he's not that great of a defender. To believe something like that would be racist. And how is fighting proof of strength? Belligerence ≠ strength. I think if "fighting" is how you'd characterize successful teams as opposed to "skillfully employing talent in an effort to win," then you've fundamentally misunderstood how things actually are.

Betsy
04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
I'd say Blair for strongest
Parker for weakest
:flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag::flag:

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Do not underestimate the strength in Duncan and his legs - he may not get off the ground but he has a strong and wide base and swimmer type strength.

I would not be surprised if he outlifted the team in many categories if it came down to it.

big does not equal strong! A lot of so called body builders cannot lift at all when it comes to heavier weights and have little flexibility - I lift only for fitness and to keep or increase some strength for golf and other sports. I expect that a motivated Duncan might outlift Blair. Strongest ever Spur was probably either Lanier or Willis although Rodman and D. Robinson(best athlete to ever play on the Spurs by far!) were both very,very strong and fit men]

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2011, 10:01 AM
Dwight Howard I think came into the league maxing between 200-225 lbs. It didn't take him long to get to well above 400. Dude's a freak now.

Alvarez, is this bench you're talking about? 400 pounds is a lot, even for people built for benching. As big as DH is, I'd still be very surprised if he can bench well over 400. It would be cool to see that though.

Squats perhaps.

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Alvarez, is this bench you're talking about? 400 pounds is a lot for even people built for benching. As big as DH is, I'd be very surprised if he can bench that much.

Squats perhaps.

I doubt he even tries - too much of a risk to injury but I bet he can easily curl 80 lbs and military press a lot as well. His real asset is that he is getting big all over and is not one dimensional.

(I have often wondered if some NBA players were juicing at least to some extent or at least in the off season as the definition of some players is off the chart - I will not take a guess at names but one day the NBA will in my opinion have a scandle in this regard)

Muser
04-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Alvarez, is this bench you're talking about? 400 pounds is a lot, even for people built for benching. As big as DH is, I'd still be very surprised if he can bench well over 400. It would be cool to see that though.

Squats perhaps.

I think Dwight could do over 400, look at the guy.

http://www.1physiotherapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Dwight-Howard.jpg

sa_butta
04-08-2011, 10:24 AM
I think Dwight could do over 400, look at the guy.

I think his max is 365.
9fwns0LCahU

Juggity
04-08-2011, 10:35 AM

Guy's like a cartoon character. Freakish, almost.

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
juiced??? cannot rule out!

Libri
04-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Do not underestimate the strength in Duncan and his legs - he may not get off the ground but he has a strong and wide base and swimmer type strength.

I would not be surprised if he outlifted the team in many categories if it came down to it.

big does not equal strong! A lot of so called body builders cannot lift at all when it comes to heavier weights and have little flexibility - I lift only for fitness and to keep or increase some strength for golf and other sports. I expect that a motivated Duncan might outlift Blair. Strongest ever Spur was probably either Lanier or Willis although Rodman and D. Robinson(best athlete to ever play on the Spurs by far!) were both very,very strong and fit men]

Is that Kevin Willis? Interesting you mention Willis because he also had very short arms, which would help with his bench press. The same thing has been mentioned about Bonner.

Agloco
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM

DHo's delts are freakishly large. Almost as big as his head (literally). He's actually out of proportion I'd say. No wonder he's got so much trouble with FT's

Mel_13
04-08-2011, 10:49 AM

From a June, 2007 Portland news article about how impressive Oden's measurables were at the combine:

For starters, his numbers blow Kevin Durant out of the water.

There are several startling revelations in the numbers, and the one that immediately pops out is the bench press. Players were rated on how many times they could bench press 185 pounds. Oden didn't attempt the bench press in order to prevent an injury to his right wrist, which has recently recovered from injury.

But get this: Only one player was unable to bench press 185 even once - Kevin Durant.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2007/06/greg_oden_is_a_freak_of_nature.html

Juggity
04-08-2011, 11:14 AM
But get this: Only one player was unable to bench press 185 even once - Kevin Durant.

Most dominant twig in NBA history?
http://media.oregonlive.com/nba_impact/photo/kevin-durant-041210jpg-cbb27aef82603c66.jpg

Doe
04-08-2011, 12:43 PM
I think his max is 365.
9fwns0LCahU

That video looks a little old. He looks quite a bit skinnier in it then he does now. I could buy that Dwight of present day could do 400.

The craziest one I ever heard of was little Earl Boykins supposedly being able to bench 315. :wow

TampaDude
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Dwight is a freak. The only other players that come to mind that I can compare him to are DRob and Shaq.

greyforest
04-08-2011, 01:14 PM

DHo's delts are freakishly large. Almost as big as his head (literally). He's actually out of proportion I'd say.

DHo is almost as freakish as DRob, which is not an easy feat

http://www.basketball-reference.com/images/players/robinda01.jpg

ajh18
04-08-2011, 03:24 PM
This is a kinda cool article on this stuff.

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-10-most-jacked-nba-basketball-players-arcl-844.html

Most impressive stat may be Ron Artest suppossedly maxing out on the bench at 460 lbs...

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
This is a kinda cool article on this stuff.

http://www.muscleprodigy.com/the-10-most-jacked-nba-basketball-players-arcl-844.html

Most impressive stat may be Ron Artest suppossedly maxing out on the bench at 460 lbs...
Amazing him doing that with a non working cerebral cortex?

ManuBalboa
04-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Coaching Points: You’re not putting the back at risk, like other exercises do, such as the squat, [which makes] taller players’ backs go into hyperextension.

lol wut???

I want to see a 7 footer do squats.

ShoogarBear
04-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Avery Johnson was supposedly a bench-pressing monster. I think the first argument I might have ever got into with whottt was over a claim that AJ could press something like 400 lbs, which would have made him close to the US record holder in his age and weight. His entire argument was that David Robinson said AJ could do it, so it had to be true.

I remember thinking, wow this guy is some kind of crazy AJ fan . . . :lol

gospursgojas
04-09-2011, 12:20 AM
Amazing him doing that with a non working cerebral cortex?

:lol

I remember a story of Earl Boykins being able to bench close to 400

FuzzyLumpkins
04-09-2011, 01:23 AM

You look at his shoulders and you can tell hes strong as hell.

Shoulders are much more important for strength in basketball i would think. you lift up more often than out.

TheSullyMonster
04-09-2011, 12:56 PM
DHo is almost as freakish as DRob, which is not an easy feat

http://www.basketball-reference.com/images/players/robinda01.jpg

I'd say DH is more freakish than DRob. DRob was proportioned like Greek sculpture. DH makes you go 'Damn!' DRob made you go 'Wow, he's sexy. No homo.':lol

ManuBalboa
04-09-2011, 03:35 PM
DHO has humungo delts but DROB is far superior. It's not even close.

greyforest
04-09-2011, 06:15 PM
I'd say DH is more freakish than DRob. DRob was proportioned like Greek sculpture. DH makes you go 'Damn!' DRob made you go 'Wow, he's sexy. No homo.':lol

Nah, DRob is definitely more freakish.

CKVqpXl3M18

I don't think DH has ever run the fast break like a fuckin' point guard, and he's not 7ft+ either.

howbouthemspurs
04-09-2011, 10:23 PM
Its gotta be Novak! He's has to be thos strongest of them all! have u seen those arms?

howbouthemspurs
04-09-2011, 10:24 PM
:lol

I remember a story of Earl Boykins being able to bench close to 400

I thought it was 300 lbs

ALVAREZ6
04-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Squats perhaps.

It's bench. I think I exaggerated with the "well over", but I've heard of him doing 400 or more.

Solid D
04-10-2011, 02:49 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0903/david.robinson/images/david-robinson.jpg

Yorae
04-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Had anyone tried to fight DRob in the court?