PDA

View Full Version : NASA Telescopes Join Forces to Observe Unprecedented Explosion

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Prrrrrrrrrretty interesting.

Oh, and I'm not editing it :lol
-----------------------------------------------

NASA Telescopes Join Forces to Observe Unprecedented Explosion04.07.11
Luck_The_Fakers_
Images from Swift's Ultraviolet/Optical (white, purple) and X-ray telescopes (yellow and red) were combined in this view of GRB 110328A. The blast was detected only in X-rays, which were collected over a 3.4-hour period on March 28. Credit: NASA/Swift/Stefan Immler
› Expanded image with labels

This is a visible-light image of GRB 110328A's host galaxy (arrow) taken on April 4 by the Hubble Space Telescope's Wide Field Camera 3. The galaxy is 3.8 billion light-years away. Credit: NASA/ESA/A. Fruchter (STScI)
› Larger image

NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory completed this four-hour exposure of GRB 110328A on April 4. The center of the X-ray source corresponds to the very center of the host galaxy imaged by Hubble (red cross). Credit: NASA/CXC/ Warwick/A. Levan
› Larger image

GRB 110328A has repeatedly flared in the days following its discovery by Swift. This plot shows the brightness changes recorded by Swift's X-ray Telescope. Credit: NASA/Swift/Penn State/J. Kennea
› Larger image WASHINGTON -- NASA's Swift, Hubble Space Telescope and Chandra X-ray Observatory have teamed up to study one of the most puzzling cosmic blasts yet observed. More than a week later, high-energy radiation continues to brighten and fade from its location.

Astronomers say they have never seen anything this bright, long-lasting and variable before. Usually, gamma-ray bursts mark the destruction of a massive star, but flaring emission from these events never lasts more than a few hours.

Although research is ongoing, astronomers say that the unusual blast likely arose when a star wandered too close to its galaxy's central black hole. Intense tidal forces tore the star apart, and the infalling gas continues to stream toward the hole. According to this model, the spinning black hole formed an outflowing jet along its rotational axis. A powerful blast of X- and gamma rays is seen if this jet is pointed in our direction.

On March 28, Swift's Burst Alert Telescope discovered the source in the constellation Draco when it erupted with the first in a series of powerful X-ray blasts. The satellite determined a position for the explosion, now cataloged as gamma-ray burst (GRB) 110328A, and informed astronomers worldwide.

As dozens of telescopes turned to study the spot, astronomers quickly noticed that a small, distant galaxy appeared very near the Swift position. A deep image taken by Hubble on April 4 pinpoints the source of the explosion at the center of this galaxy, which lies 3.8 billion light-years away.

That same day, astronomers used NASA's Chandra X-ray Observatory to make a four-hour-long exposure of the puzzling source. The image, which locates the object 10 times more precisely than Swift can, shows that it lies at the center of the galaxy Hubble imaged.

"We know of objects in our own galaxy that can produce repeated bursts, but they are thousands to millions of times less powerful than the bursts we are seeing now. This is truly extraordinary," said Andrew Fruchter at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore.

"We have been eagerly awaiting the Hubble observation," said Neil Gehrels, the lead scientist for Swift at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "The fact that the explosion occurred in the center of a galaxy tells us it is most likely associated with a massive black hole. This solves a key question about the mysterious event."

Most galaxies, including our own, contain central black holes with millions of times the sun's mass; those in the largest galaxies can be a thousand times larger. The disrupted star probably succumbed to a black hole less massive than the Milky Way's, which has a mass four million times that of our sun

Astronomers previously have detected stars disrupted by supermassive black holes, but none have shown the X-ray brightness and variability seen in GRB 110328A. The source has repeatedly flared. Since April 3, for example, it has brightened by more than five times.

Scientists think that the X-rays may be coming from matter moving near the speed of light in a particle jet that forms as the star's gas falls toward the black hole.

"The best explanation at the moment is that we happen to be looking down the barrel of this jet," said Andrew Levan at the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, who led the Chandra observations. "When we look straight down these jets, a brightness boost lets us view details we might otherwise miss."

This brightness increase, which is called relativistic beaming, occurs when matter moving close to the speed of light is viewed nearly head on.

Astronomers plan additional Hubble observations to see if the galaxy's core changes brightness.

NASA Goddard manages Swift, and Hubble, and NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., manages Chandra. The Hubble Space Telescope was built and is operated in partnership with the European Space Agency. Science operations for all three missions include contributions from many national and international partners.
Luck_The_Fakers_
Luck_The_Fakers_
Francis Reddy
NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
Luck_The_Fakers_
›Luck_The_Fakers_Back To Top

http://www1.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/star-disintegration_prt.htm

mouse
04-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Great news! :tu

Maybe next year they will use all those powerful lenses to look for a cure for Cancer?

:toast

I. Hustle
04-08-2011, 12:19 AM
Sean Elliott is a scientist? They could have at least spelled his name right

TE
04-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Just imagine what's going on out there in the eternity of space. Mind-numbing thought.

mouse
04-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Just imagine what's going on out there in the eternity of space. Mind-numbing thought.

Provided you had your health to do so.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM

Yep. Especially this. If their theory is right we're pretty much looking down a barrel of a gun.

Leetonidas
04-08-2011, 10:18 AM

Maybe next year they will use all those powerful lenses to look for a cure for Cancer?

I didn't know the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was supposed to be looking for a cure for cancer.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2011, 10:29 AM
I didn't know the National Aeronautics and Space Administration was supposed to be looking for a cure for cancer.

Nah. They're looking for the moon.

DarkReign
04-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Drop a link to the article, doo.

Viva Las Espuelas
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Drop a link to the article, doo.

Dropped

TDMVPDPOY
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Yep. Especially this. If their theory is right we're pretty much looking down a barrel of a gun.

what happens all that theory over the years end up wrong? back to the drawing board to find a cliche to draw more funds from the govt

mouse
04-08-2011, 03:50 PM

When your not using government grants, public funding, or tax payers money you can do as you wish. And really it's about what's important for mankind.

How do you really feel you used your time and education on earth. Did you use your parents collage cash and years of studying to find a cure for breast cancer which effects millions of lives here on earth, or did you use your parents collage cash and years of studying to find prettified roach on Jupiter?

In a world with starvation,home foreclosures,unemployment,bad healthcare,and a Government on the brink of shutting down, many of us can do without another "black hole"

Sisk
04-08-2011, 04:18 PM
When your not using government grants, public funding, or tax payers money you can do as you wish. And really it's about what's important for mankind.

How do you really feel you used your time and education on earth. Did you use your parents collage cash and years of studying to find a cure for breast cancer which effects millions of lives here on earth, or did you use your parents collage cash and years of studying to find prettified roach on Jupiter?

In a world with starvation,home foreclosures,unemployment,bad healthcare,and a Government on the brink of shutting down, many of us can do without another "black hole"

Listen to the first 1:10 of this video. It's how I feel about the whole "only focus on fixing bad things" theory you obsess over.

ihpNNBmJypE

mouse
04-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Listen to the first 1:10 of this video. It's how I feel about the whole "only focus on fixing bad things" theory you obsess over.

Don't confuse me educating others as a sign of being obsessed over bad things.

I merely post the facts, if they somehow seem bad or negative in anyway then I suggest you go after those responsible.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Sisk
04-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Don't confuse me educating others as a sign of being obsessed over bad things.

I merely post the facts, if they somehow seem bad or negative in anyway then I suggest you go after those responsible.

Don't shoot the messenger.

You avoid subjects more than anyone on this board. Did you watch the video? Do you even know the point I was trying to convey?

Sisk
04-08-2011, 04:33 PM

Provided you had your health to do so.

What is educating about any of this? Two of these posts should've never been put into existence and the last one is blatantly an opinion.

mouse
04-08-2011, 04:38 PM
What is educating about any of this? Two of these posts should've never been put into existence and the last one is blatantly an opinion.

For those who are already educated they understand my postings. You will some day reach that point if you apply yourself.

mouse
04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
You avoid subjects more than anyone on this board. Did you watch the video? Do you even know the point I was trying to convey?

So if I say "wow great video" we can be friends?

You will never succeed in life if your always seeking approval of others, just be yourself.

Sisk
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM
For those who are already educated they understand my postings. You will some day reach that point if you apply yourself.

So are you ever going to respond to what the point of the video was? Or do I need to spell it out for you more?

Your posts are nothing more than anti-NASA "I'm mad because I think the moon landing was faked but don't know why I'm so upset about it" nonsense. Always have been, always will be.

Hooks
04-08-2011, 04:41 PM

Or even look for zombie Jesus in the heavens :cry

Sisk
04-08-2011, 04:42 PM
So if I say "wow great video" we can be friends?

You will never succeed in life if your always seeking approval of others, just be yourself.

I'm seeking your approval? You're delusional. I brought up my perspective to see how you'd respond to it given your "only focus on fixing the bad" but then you go on a left field rant about not killing the messenger. Try to stay on the topic, mouse. Apparently you're incapable of responding to simple questions. You prove it time and time again.

mouse
04-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Losing your temper is a sign of weakness. (just a heads up) if you want to be part of the elite posters I converge with.

mouse
04-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Or even look for zombie Jesus in the heavens :cry

Finding Jesus is not the problem it's what you do afterwards that matters.

Sisk
04-08-2011, 05:09 PM
I can't answer questions from other posters. It's just so hard :depressed

mouse
04-08-2011, 05:16 PM
If you need questions answered may I suggest Google? It's a great tool I happen to use it also.

If you want to ask "me" my opinions on any matters you have let me finish a few more audits so I can clock out and we can pick up tonight when I have opened a cooled beer.