PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Ripe for Upset?

nkdlunch
04-08-2011, 08:49 AM
reality check? You gotta admit, the dude got a point...

MWpaxevKOoU

703 Spurz
04-08-2011, 09:14 AM
The Spurs don't give up 103 a game, they give up 97.8. And using the old team argument, still? How did they win 60 games then if they're so old?

George Gervin's Afro
04-08-2011, 09:30 AM
If I were Portland, Memphis, or New Orleans I'd like my chances better if I drew the Spurs in the 1st rd...

sa_butta
04-08-2011, 09:33 AM
The Spurs don't give up 103 a game, they give up 97.8. And using the old team argument, still? How did they win 60 games then if they're so old?
He has it backwards we score 103 and give up 97.8. Toss that arguement out the window...And as far as being old, the only "old guys" on the team would be Duncan (34), Ginobili (33) and Mcdyess (36), after that its Bonner (31).

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Some people need a reality check:

1) Spurs point differential and overall record against all teams, good and great teams predicts playoff success more than failure.
2) No team to my knowledge has beat a healthy Spurs team more than 2x all season
3) Recent injuries and some blowouts led to changes in lineups that should portend at least some confidence by Pop in alternative lineups
4) Spurs have two hot players (at least) in Hill and Parker and Manu and Duncan appear healthy and poised to contribute in the playoffs big time and Neal and even Bonner will and can provide things of value.
5) No other team except for the Bulls (and until this week the Nuggests) is/are really playing great and consistent basketball right now. Even the vaunted LAL have been up and down and the Mavs are either tanking or choking, the Thunder are about what we all thought they would be and well teams like Portland and the Grizz could provide tough series to the Spurs it is highly unlikely and based on presidence, past trends for seeds, and the fact, the Spurs have a championship core that is very talented and a great coach (even if he is a stubborn one) to actually give much cred to an early upset.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM

MWpaxevKOoU

Yep the part where he says "relys on the three point shooting too much". LA played us perfectly last time. The interior was clogged and the three point line was defended well. We know Bonner usually fades post season. Hopefully Neal can continue and Ginobili can keep hitting big shots too.

Man In Black
04-08-2011, 10:13 AM
He's not really making a point. He's like the talking penises at the 4-letter fuckup.
He's making generalizations in order to create a story.

Only half-court teams play well in the playoffs? Showtime Lakers could run and play half court. Since the Spurs have been described as a slow grind it out half court team for years and now they run to help preserve their players, are these guys saying that the Spurs forgot they could play half-court since they're seasoned in it up to their ears?

Yes this team relies on 3 point shooting, but it's not solely 3 pointers they shoot. EVERY Team in the Association would like to have the kind of dead-eye shooters that the Spurs have. Even if Bonner withers like he has in playoffs past, it's not RMJ that's coming off the bench now to continue the withering, it's a life-hardened Gary Neal. It's George Hill.

The team D is where the Spurs need to make their mark. Not in the same context as years past because it was easy for Pop to say, "Sic 'em Bruce." The Spurs are hoping that when the time comes, that Pop will be able to call for and get what he terms,"On Demand Stops." I'm hoping that Pop is going CIA and NOT playing Splitter until the playoffs. I am of the opinion that Splitter will help more playing than sitting on the bench.

outmap
04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
They left out one important thing; The Spurs are taking it easy, I believe they are pacing themselves, trying out a lot of different things that don't work and try to make it work, and shelved what has worked to save it for future reference (e.g. TP-RJ alley-oop, Manu-Blair screen-roll, TP-Bonner pick and pop, end even the TD-Manu motion offense), there's a reason why they don't run those plays quite often anymore. Come playoff time, a focused Spurs team will be wrecking havoc against other teams using what they know works.

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 10:36 AM
Spurs do not lead the league in 3 point attempts but they make a high percentage and many teams shoot within a few of the Spurs a game.

B.S. to this talking idiot. Show some data then make an arguement. Orlando made it to the finals shooting way more threes and not as well.

FromWayDowntown
04-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Randy Sparage: old time KMOL.

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
If I were Portland, Memphis, or New Orleans I'd like my chances better if I drew the Spurs in the 1st rd...

Than who? Mavs - any team wants them. Memphis and Portland have played the Lakers great this year.

Strategic
04-08-2011, 10:56 AM
I guess tomorrow he will be citing the lakers age as the reason for them to get upset in these playoffs. Just to make a few comparisions between the lakers and Spurs;

The lakers starting five average over 30, this includes Bynum who is 23. If you remove Bynum, who can't play anymore minutes than fisher does, the average age of the other 4 is 32.

The Spurs starters average age is 32 since the 21 year old DeJuan Blair was replaced in the starting lineup.

Now look at the top 4 subs for each team.

The lakers top four subs average over 29 years old.

The Spurs top four subs average over 25 years old.

The lakers have 10 players on their roster in their 30's
The Spurs have 5 players on their roster in their 30's

:nope:nope:nope :hang :nope:nope:nope

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Ok so y'all are saying this team is going to flip the switch and revert to old half court style basketball minus the new younger role players and bench that haven't seen it all season. Answer yes, they have been doing it all along during practice, it's just CIA pop hasn't revealed it yet to the league. The whole season was a ruse...

100%duncan
04-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Old argument = Aint Real
Rely too much on 3's = 50/50 we do not rely TOO much on 3's IMO
that guy is over rating grizzlies
Manu and TP can take over anytime they want
and what no half court offense? we fucking pass the ball to the open man and have those open shots, we have TD and Dice inside, neal will be clutch
Bonner is the X-Factor

Rummpd
04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
M. Johnson is a college sports analyst and a wannabee evaluationg the NBA - move on.

ElNono
04-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Don't know about ripe for upset, but pace does slow down considerably in the playoffs, specially against good teams, and we do rely a lot on the 3 ball simply because we rely on scoring a lot since our defense can't seem to be able to produce stops at a consistently good rate.

I think on nights when we shoot well, we can be in the game. When we shoot exceptionally well, this team is unbeatable... when we shoot poorly, we can get run out of the gym.

ajballer4
04-08-2011, 12:01 PM
The celtics and hornets have beaten us twice healthy but Boston is in the east and we haven't played the hornets in forever and they are a lot worse now

SenorSpur
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM

MWpaxevKOoU

Johnson is about as out -of-touch with reality, as that crazy, hood-rat, ball-playing character that he portrayed in "White Men Can't Jump".

Harry Callahan
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Please consider the source of this stuff.

FoxSports - Based in Los Angeles
So Called Reporter/Analyst - Marques Johnson (Graduate of UCLA)

They get a lot of hits from the T-Shirt Laker fans and they are trying to please them.

Stringer_Bell
04-08-2011, 12:11 PM
The Spurs make it to the WCF by limiting turnovers, reliance on the the 3, and the amount of possesions they give the other team. If the other team has less time with the ball, then they make less points. Simple, I know.

At their BEST, I'm confident in the Spurs ability to make it to the Finals. We'll see how the East plays out, I'm sure CHI has some nasty tricks we haven't seen yet but I hope someone in the East figures out a way to answer them.

crc21209
04-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Johnson is about as out -of-touch with reality, as that crazy, hood-rat, ball-playing character that he portrayed in "White Men Can't Jump".

:lol "Im'a go get my other gun, shoot everybody.."

TampaDude
04-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I think on nights when we shoot well, we can be in the game. When we shoot exceptionally well, this team is unbeatable... when we shoot poorly, we can get run out of the gym.

That's true for any team in the NBA, though.

703 Spurz
04-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I guess tomorrow he will be citing the lakers age as the reason for them to get upset in these playoffs. Just to make a few comparisions between the lakers and Spurs;

The lakers starting five average over 30, this includes Bynum who is 23. If you remove Bynum, who can't play anymore minutes than fisher does, the average age of the other 4 is 32.

The Spurs starters average age is 32 since the 21 year old DeJuan Blair was replaced in the starting lineup.

Now look at the top 4 subs for each team.

The lakers top four subs average over 29 years old.

The Spurs top four subs average over 25 years old.

The lakers have 10 players on their roster in their 30's
The Spurs have 5 players on their roster in their 30's

:nope:nope:nope :hang :nope:nope:nope

He'd counter with "well they are the two time defending champs". In a sense he'd be true so the two comparisons are a bit different.

DesignatedT
04-08-2011, 12:46 PM
:lmao the "getting older" argument

SenorSpur
04-08-2011, 12:49 PM
:lol "Im'a go get my other gun, shoot everybody.."

:lol

There it is.

Supergirl
04-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Also, the whole "spurs rely too much on the 3 pt shot" argument doesn't hold up -- ALL the Spurs teams in the past have relied on 3 pt shooting, but because they break down defenses by driving to the hoop, which teams then have to double up on to defend, which opens up 3 pt shooters. Having good 3 pt shooters is what makes this strategy so unguardable, but it starts with having players like Duncan, Parker, Manu and Hill who can get to the hoop first.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Also, the whole "spurs rely too much on the 3 pt shot" argument doesn't hold up -- ALL the Spurs teams in the past have relied on 3 pt shooting, but because they break down defenses by driving to the hoop, which teams then have to double up on to defend, which opens up 3 pt shooters. Having good 3 pt shooters is what makes this strategy so unguardable, but it starts with having players like Duncan, Parker, Manu and Hill who can get to the hoop first.

Which is why teams like LA and OKC with big front courts are going to be really tough. They'll pack the paint against Manu and Tony (which LA does) that we MUST make the three or open shots.

nkdlunch
04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
That's true for any team in the NBA, though.

not really. Very good defensive teams do not necessarily need to shoot well to win games. They win games with defense. Teams such as Miami, Boston, LA and maybe Chicago. Spurs, Mavs are not one of those teams.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Not too mention we haven't been getting rebounds when we shoot clankers especially against the Lakers.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 01:11 PM
not really. Very good defensive teams do not necessarily need to shoot well to win games. They win games with defense. Teams such as Miami, Boston, LA and maybe Chicago. Spurs, Mavs are not one of those teams.

These people act like they never seen the Spurs win and lose in the playoffs before...

nkdlunch
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
These people act like they never seen the Spurs win and lose in the playoffs before...

it is a bit confusing. Spurs have been known to win playoff games and series by looking like shit on O and suffocating on D. I'd have though spursfans would know this by heart.

granted from 05 on Spurs did try to win with offense. We got lucky in 05 because Manu was playing like MJ and our D was still decent. the next 5 attempts at winning with offense have failed miserably.

I do agree this year is a bit different. Best offensive team in Spurs history and Pop has thrown away his old playbook. Hopefully we get a miracle.

phxspurfan
04-08-2011, 01:28 PM

I still have faith that the Spurs can pull games out with defense. I think it will only come down to a couple of those games in a given series, where the ball can bounce in either direction. The Spurs still have vets that know how to hustle and grab the important rebound or make a perfect pass, etc. As long as the game is close, I like the chances against any squad (see Dice tip-in against the Lakers).

AW7w27d7oKU

rascal
04-08-2011, 01:32 PM
He has it backwards we score 103 and give up 97.8. Toss that arguement out the window...And as far as being old, the only "old guys" on the team would be Duncan (34), Ginobili (33) and Mcdyess (36), after that its Bonner (31).

Outside of Parker thats the core of the team. Three players that the team is highly depending on.

xtremesteven33
04-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Ginobili has noticabely changed his game this year. He doesnt attack the basket with abandon too much as in years past. He is shooting more 3's than ever and has taken more of a role this year as leader. He looks to get the team in an offensive flow for most of the game rather than attack and try and draw fouls. I believe he is saving that for the playoffs. He understands the Spurs have the talent for the younger guys to draw fouls and get FT points. I really see Manu performing amazing in the playoffs this year. Hes going to really shine and lead the Spurs to victories.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 01:46 PM
it is a bit confusing. Spurs have been known to win playoff games and series by looking like shit on O and suffocating on D. I'd have though spursfans would know this by heart.

granted from 05 on Spurs did try to win with offense. We got lucky in 05 because Manu was playing like MJ and our D was still decent. the next 5 attempts at winning with offense have failed miserably.

I do agree this year is a bit different. Best offensive team in Spurs history and Pop has thrown away his old playbook. Hopefully we get a miracle.

God I remember those excutiating 10-14 minute droughts usually in the 3rd quarter. We'd flush away the big lead, but like you said we always had good team defense and of course Bruce Bowen to make critical stops.

guzmangm
04-08-2011, 01:50 PM
We haven't stopped anyone this season on defense like past seasons, and Tim although still effective isn't unstoppable like he was (which is when he got doubled a lot). The threes MUST GO IN.

phxspurfan
04-08-2011, 03:08 PM
God I remember those excutiating 10-14 minute droughts usually in the 3rd quarter. We'd flush away the big lead, but like you said we always had good team defense and of course Bruce Bowen to make critical stops.

That's one thing most people don't remember...Bruce and Rasho/Nazr/Oberto were good on defense but were huge liabilities on offense. So yes we could get stops with two bigs and a wing defender, but good luck getting them to shoot even 40% for the game.

DPG21920
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Would it really be a big upset if the Spurs lost in the 2nd round? They will face a team who is not that far off from them.

timtonymanu
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM
LMAO getting older. I guess a core of TP, Hill, Neal, Blair, Splitter, Anderson, Bonner is older than Finley, Thomas, Vaughn, Oberto, Barry, Horry.

And allowing 103 PPG? We're not the Melo Nuggets or the Suns.

I only agreed on relying on the 3 too much.

04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
even those spurs fans don't want to admit it, the team that is built to upset the spurs is actually the grizzlies. the spurs will most likely be facing them in the first round. grizzlies have shut down the spurs' top scorers with tony allen and battier and we all know the spurs will revert to shooting many 3's if parker and ginobili can't score. even though grizzlies don't have gay, this didn't have gay in any of the games against the spurs all season. grizzlies are a young team with no pressure and excellent perimeter defense to shut down parker and ginobili.

Seventyniner
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Would it really be a big upset if the Spurs lost in the 2nd round? They will face a team who is not that far off from them.

Definitely. The Spurs would be decent favorites over the Thunder or heavy favorites over the Nuggets.

I'd consider the Spurs losing to any team other than the Lakers (or maybe Celtics and Bulls) an upset.

DPG21920
04-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Maybe. I am not saying it wouldn't be an "upset", but it's not Golden State over the Mavs type upset. The Spurs are a very good team, but they aren't that far ahead of the top 4 teams in the West (and not LA at all).

spurs10
04-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Maybe. I am not saying it wouldn't be an "upset", but it's not Golden State over the Mavs type upset. The Spurs are a very good team, but they aren't that far ahead of the top 4 teams in the West (and not LA at all).
We definitely need to enjoy the ride, as anything can happen. Maybe it's blind faith, but I like our chances. I feel like the extra rest we'll have going into the playoffs will be good and Manu, Tim, TP, Dice, RJ, and the rest will play with an urgency and a poise that will be hard to beat. Their character will shine on through...you better know it.
:flag::ihit:flag::ihit

crc21209
04-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Relying on the 3 too much? Maybe. But the Spurs have proven at times they can win when they dont shoot that well from 3 or shoot too much from the 3-pt line at all. IIRC in the Atlanta game this past week they were only 1-8 from the 3-pt line, and still won the game....

mingus
04-08-2011, 06:38 PM
they don't play enough defense. Pop has elected to go small, and by the time he changes his mindset it'll be too late. they're better than Memphis and OKC and it'd be an upset if they lose to either one, but not a HUGE upset. people who have watched this team closely this year should know that this team can be exposed because of their overreliance on offense and if they go on a massive cold stretch, where guys like Bonner, Neal, RJ, & Hill are shooting really bad, the defense isn't their to neutralize it.

mingus
04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Relying on the 3 too much? Maybe. But the Spurs have proven at times they can win when they dont shoot that well from 3 or shoot too much from the 3-pt line at all. IIRC in the Atlanta game this past week they were only 1-8 from the 3-pt line, and still won the game....

key word: Atlanta. and they were w/o Josh Smith.

Old School 44
04-08-2011, 06:45 PM
I think a big part of the "3 point shooting" issue is who takes them.

I swear sometimes it looks like the Spurs are running their offense through Bonner.
Sure, he's great when he's hitting, but if he misses 2 or 3 in a row. Take a break, pass the ball.

Manu, until recently has been shooting poorly. Even his shot selection was questionable, BUT he gets somewhat of a pass, because he's a top 3 player on the team who can do other things, drive/pass and draw fouls.

As a fan, and probably even as a teammate, it's a lot easier to accept a top player on the team shooting and missing vs. a lesser player doing the same thing, regardless of how open they are.

SA210
04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
He's not really making a point. He's like the talking penises at the 4-letter fuckup.
He's making generalizations in order to create a story.

Only half-court teams play well in the playoffs? Showtime Lakers could run and play half court. Since the Spurs have been described as a slow grind it out half court team for years and now they run to help preserve their players, are these guys saying that the Spurs forgot they could play half-court since they're seasoned in it up to their ears?

Yes this team relies on 3 point shooting, but it's not solely 3 pointers they shoot. EVERY Team in the Association would like to have the kind of dead-eye shooters that the Spurs have. Even if Bonner withers like he has in playoffs past, it's not RMJ that's coming off the bench now to continue the withering, it's a life-hardened Gary Neal. It's George Hill.

The team D is where the Spurs need to make their mark. Not in the same context as years past because it was easy for Pop to say, "Sic 'em Bruce." The Spurs are hoping that when the time comes, that Pop will be able to call for and get what he terms,"On Demand Stops." I'm hoping that Pop is going CIA and NOT playing Splitter until the playoffs. I am of the opinion that Splitter will help more playing than sitting on the bench.

Great take.

SA210
04-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Ginobili has noticabely changed his game this year. He doesnt attack the basket with abandon too much as in years past. He is shooting more 3's than ever and has taken more of a role this year as leader. He looks to get the team in an offensive flow for most of the game rather than attack and try and draw fouls. I believe he is saving that for the playoffs. He understands the Spurs have the talent for the younger guys to draw fouls and get FT points. I really see Manu performing amazing in the playoffs this year. Hes going to really shine and lead the Spurs to victories.

:tu

spurspokesman
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Don't know about ripe for upset, but pace does slow down considerably in the playoffs, specially against good teams, and we do rely a lot on the 3 ball simply because we rely on scoring a lot since our defense can't seem to be able to produce stops at a consistently good rate.

Can and usually do:lol

easy7
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I have not meet anyone over 30 who is the same person they were 5 or 6 yrs ago. Kobe is not the same Kobe of 5 or 6 yrs ago. Just saying...

duncan228
04-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Spurs’ perimeter depth should keep them from an extended slump (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-perimeter-depth-should-keep-them-from-an-extended-slump/)
Tim Griffin

Despite recent struggles with their perimeter shooting during a six-game losing streak, Spurs rookie guard Gary Neal isn’t worried about an extended slump hurting the team as it advances into the playoffs.

The Spurs hit only 34.9 percent from beyond the arc during the losing streak after leading the league at 40.0 percent before that.

Keep reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-perimeter-depth-should-keep-them-from-an-extended-slump/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-perimeter-depth-should-keep-them-from-an-extended-slump/

Capt Bringdown
04-08-2011, 09:03 PM
M. Johnson is a college sports analyst and a wannabee evaluationg the NBA - move on.

Johnson did color for the Sonics a few years ago, and of course was a NCAA champion at UCLA and had a very solid NBA career.

His comments were general and not detailed analysis, and furthermore not out of line with what many Spurs fans have been posting on this forum.

Very possible the Spurs could get knocked out in the second round due to the problems he mentioned (number 1 being defense), and given our record such an event would be considered an upset.

Slippy
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Spurs dont rely on the 3point shot. Rather, they rely on execution for the open shot.

DMC
04-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Everyone in the lead is ripe for an upset.

E-RockWill
04-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Spurs dont rely on the 3point shot. Rather, they rely on execution for the open shot.

THIS

:toast

Isitjustme?
04-09-2011, 08:56 AM
Without Splitter?

Yes, we are ripe for an upset...

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
I don't know if this Board could brook it. O & 6 Fest nearly shut this sucker down.:lmao

Isitjustme?
04-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know if this Board could brook it. O & 6 Fest nearly shut this sucker down.:lmao

I'm sure ClubLakers and LakersGround were rather calm last night...

ChuckD
04-09-2011, 09:26 AM

Every Laker rotation player is over 30 except Bynum (28 minutes) and Shannon Brown (19 minutes). That means of the 240 player minutes in your average NBA game, Laker 30-somethings are playing 193. THAT'S an old team.

Contrast that with Duncan (28), Manu (31), Dice(19) AND Bonner (22), our 30 something rotation players are playing 100 of 240 minutes.