PDA

View Full Version : March of Dimes - Houston March for Babies

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
As some of you might recall, back in August of 2009 Easjer and I suffered the heartache of losing our child, Gabriel, in a premature birth. Since we had shared so much of the good news to that point with Spurstalk it was only natural to share the tragic ending with you guys as well. As strange as it may sound I still go back and read that thread every so often. As time goes by it hurts less little by little to read what I had to post though the scars will always remain. The thing that doesn't change is the warmth that comes through in all the replies and PMs of love and support from you guys. Don't know if I ever properly thanked all of you for that, so thank you. It meant so much to us then and it still does. Now Easjer and I are working to forge something positive in Gabriel's memory by taking part in the March of Dimes' March for Babies here in Houston so I thought I'd turn to Spurstalk once again for support.

http://marchforbabies.org/personal_page.asp?pp=3600200&ct=4&w=4573174&u=jasonrichard

That link should take you to my donation page. If you've got $5 to spare please give. Every last cent is appreciated. The March takes place on May 1st, about three weeks from now. I'll go ahead and put that link in my signature and I'll probably bump this thread again as the event gets closer. Please give. Please share that link with any disadvantaged souls who aren't a part of Spurstalk. And, once again, thank you.

easjer
04-08-2011, 01:55 PM
I wanted to chime in to echo everything Jason has said and thank everyone again for the support we received back then. I, too, occasionally go back and read that thread, and the compassion that existed was a light in a dark time. I thought I would share something I wrote for my office when we first decided to participate in March for Babies in Gabe's honor.

"I am a mother, but have no children. My son is a shadow, a spirit, a scent on the breeze, a wistful longing in my heart.

The day classes began in the fall of 2009 is the day my world stopped and shattered. I was 21 weeks into a complicated pregnancy; four days prior we had received word that our son was well and healthy and the problems that had plagued the pregnancy to that point were finally gone. We lived through four days of perfect happiness, content in knowing things were well with Gabriel.

But that particular August day was uncomfortable, then painful. I finally left to consult my midwife, who looked grave and called the doctor. I went home to rest, hoping the contractions would fade. Four hours later I was in the hospital. Three hours after that, I was in shock, watching my husband hold our child as he died, a victim of a previously undiagnosed incompetent cervix and a partial placental abruption.

Gabe was born too soon, too prematurely; three weeks before viability and life-saving measures could have given him any chance at survival. Our world crashed down around us. It felt as if life had splintered into variant paths and somehow I’d been stuck by mistake in this nightmare of a life, racked with grief and loss.

In the eighteen months that have passed since that day, I’ve changed. I am both more compassionate and less patient; more aware of the beauty of life, and the fragility of it. I go through everyday attempting to reconcile the fact of my son’s death with the rest of a life that insists on being lived.

It is impossible to state concisely yet clearly how the death of a child, your child, affects you; it’s not just a baby that dies, it’s your family, your hopes, your innocence, your future. Simple conversation makes me freeze, because I do not know the answer to the question ‘Do you have any children?’

The answer, of course, is ‘Yes. A son. Gabriel Ross. He died shortly after his premature birth.’ Some days I say those words and share Gabe’s story, some days I smile and say ‘No’ because I cannot bear to be an object of pity and the hurt is too great.

It is a dilemma I hope no one else ever faces, a pain I wish to see eradicated, a thing of which I think many people are unaware. So many advances have been made, so many modern miracles that people forget that prematurity remains the highest killer of newborns and infants. March of Dimes fights against prematurity every day in a variety of ways – through funding research that saves even 23 and 24 week babies, through education about healthy pregnancies and risks to the same, to aiding women locally in seeking prenatal care and providing untold support to families whose children are in NICU.
I will be walking with March for Babies this May 1, 2011 to support the efforts of March of Dimes; to help ensure that fewer women join the ranks of the baby-lost, to remember and honor my Gabriel. "

PM5K
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Sent you ten bones, good luck.

I hope this comes out right but your story is a great reminder for those of us lucky enough to have kids that we should cherish every second we have with them, and every second they have with us.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-08-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the donation!

And I absolutely understand what you mean. Like my wife said losing Gabriel gave us an unforgettable lesson in how fragile any life can be, whether at 21 weeks, 21 months, or 21 years. I hope that everyone that's heard our story takes that to heart as well as you have.

Kori Ellis
04-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I just wanted to bump this up. We sent our donation tonight.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-17-2011, 07:51 AM
Awesome! Thank you so much Kori. It's deeply appreciated.

mrsmaalox
04-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I made my donation in honor of my beautiful daughter, Keilie Dawn, who was a 28 week preemie, weighing in at a whopping 1 lb and 15 oz and will celebrate her healthy 15th birthday this Saturday :spin

And in memory of my daughter, Monica Grace, also a preemie. RIP my angel.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I made my donation in honor of my beautiful daughter, Keilie Dawn, who was a 28 week preemie, weighing in at a whopping 1 lb and 15 oz and will celebrate her healthy 15th birthday this Saturday :spin

And in memory of my daughter, Monica Grace, also a preemie. RIP my angel.

Thank you so much. It'll be an honor to walk for march for them as well.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-28-2011, 10:03 AM
One last bump!

The walk is this Sunday. Thanks to everyone who has donated. Figured I'd make one last push at wringing a few more dollars out of you guys. :spin

BruceBowenFan
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
This hits home for me because I was born a preemie baby and recieved help from the march of dimes. So I never mind donating. Gonna send a few bucks your way man.

DeadlyDynasty
04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
Just sent my donation in. I work at Miami Children's Hospital and have been part of flight NICU/PICU teams in the past...even though I don't have kids myself, they are a big part of my life nonetheless!