PDA

View Full Version : Detroit Pistons Sold

Juggity
04-08-2011, 12:48 PM
To a Los Angeles Billionaire.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/27480171/detail.html

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Local 4's Bernie Smilovitz has confirmed that the Detroit Pistons have been sold to Los Angeles-based billionaire Tom Gore.A selling price has not been released yet.Karen Davidson, was previously the primary owner of the franchise.Gores, 46, was born in Israel but grew up in Flint, Mich., and attended Michigan State University. He maintains a home in the state. According to Forbes, his net worth stands at $2.4 billion. Watch: Local 4 Talks With Potential Pistons Owner Tom Gores (http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/26825707/index.html)

The Detroit Pistons are worth $360 million, making it the No. 13 most valuable team of the 30 teams in the National Basketball Association, according to Forbes. Complete Coverage: Detroit Pistons (http://sportsdata.clickondetroit.com/basketball/nba-teams.aspx?page=/data/nba/teams/team404153.html) Last year, Michael Ilitch, the owner of the Little Caesars Pizza chain and two Detroit sports teams, was the preferred bidder for the team.

4 LA teams, perhaps? :lol

leemajors
04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
The Pistons aren't going anywhere.

baseline bum
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
Good to see. That team is a trainwreck and it sucked seeing them not be able to make moves that needed to be done with the sale up in the air. Hopefully the Pistons can be back on their feet in a couple years with Monroe, Daye, a couple of smart draft picks, and whatever they can get for Prince.

nkdlunch
04-08-2011, 01:21 PM
this league is in the shithole

jeebus
04-08-2011, 01:29 PM
4 LA teams, perhaps? :lol
That would be hilarious. I'm kinda rooting for that to happen.

TimmehC
04-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Inland Empire could probably support one. Riverside Pistons FTW.

The Gemini Method
04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
My god that would be a clusterfuck...well, not really different than the EPL with like 5 teams within London proper and surrounding municipalities...

crc21209
04-08-2011, 04:27 PM
That would totally suck ass if it happened. The Pistons are one of the more storied franchises in the league, you just cant move em...can you?

baseline bum
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
He bought the arena too, so moving wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. Glad to see they've been sold to someone who intends to keep the team in place.

DMC
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
I really like the Pistons. I hope they get it together and they along with Detroit recovers.

Darrin
04-09-2011, 07:20 AM
I hope the team stays where it is. Nice to see this issue put to bed. Now I wonder what type of franchise will he want?

TampaDude
04-09-2011, 07:30 AM
It would be kind of silly to call a team the Pistons if they weren't in Detroit. Then again, we do have the Utah Jazz, so I guess anything is possible.

Darrin
04-09-2011, 07:41 AM
It would be kind of silly to call a team the Pistons if they weren't in Detroit. Then again, we do have the Utah Jazz, so I guess anything is possible.

They started out in Fort Wayne, Indiana with that name. Fred Zollner owned a car parts manufacturing business and they donned his name for awhile. The original name was Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons. When he moved his business to Detroit, he took the Pistons with him and that's how they ended up here.

TampaDude
04-09-2011, 07:53 AM
They started out in Fort Wayne, Indiana with that name. Fred Zollner owned a car parts manufacturing business and they donned his name for awhile. The original name was Fort Wayne Zollner Pistons. When he moved his business to Detroit, he took the Pistons with him and that's how they ended up here.

Darrin droppin' tha knowledge! :toast