PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports being sued

jjktkk
04-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Thought this might be interesting for those who have purchased Madden and/or NCAA Football video games. I have purchased and played Madden and NCAA Football video games and today I received the following email:

Legal Notice from U.S. District Court: EA Sports Class Action

GEOFFREY PECOVER and ANDREW OWENS v. ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.
U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.)
Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW

If You Purchased Certain Electronic Arts Brand Football Video Games
Between January 1, 2005 to the Present
You May Be a Class Member.

Membership as a class member in the Electronic Arts Litigation is the result of a lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, Oakland Division (Case No. 08-cv-02820 CW).

What Is This Class Action About?
The class action lawsuit alleges violations of California's antitrust and consumer protection laws in connection with the sale of certain football video games. Plaintiffs, purchasers of Electronic Arts' football video games, claim that Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market. Plaintiffs allege that this series of exclusive licenses caused customers who purchased certain football video games to be overcharged.
Defendant Electronic Arts has denied any liability and all allegations of misconduct. The Court has not decided whether the Defendants did anything wrong, and this Notice is not an expression of any opinion by the Court about the merits of any of the claims or defenses asserted by any party to this litigation.

Who Are Class Members?
The Class includes all persons who, during the period January 1, 2005 to the present, purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football, or Arena Football League brand video games published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005 to the present. Excluded from the class are purchasers of software for mobile devices, persons purchasing directly from Electronic Arts, persons purchasing used copies of the relevant football video games, and Electronic Arts' employees, officers, directors, legal representatives, and wholly or partly owned subsidiaries or affiliated companies.

What Should I Do? (Getting Further Information)
If you believe that you may be a class member (see above "Who Are Class Members"), you should get more detailed information about the class action and its potential effect on you and your rights. Further information can be obtained by going to the following website: www.easportslitigation.com. Additional information about the lawsuit may be obtained from Plaintiffs' Counsel website at www.hbsslaw.com, or by calling Plaintiffs' Counsel at 1-206-623-7292.

To Remain a Class Member
If you are a class member and you do nothing, you will be bound by the court's rulings in the lawsuit, including any final Settlement or Judgment.

To Exclude Yourself from the Class
(Deadline to Request Exclusion: June 25, 2011)
If you are a class member and you want to exclude yourself from the class and keep your right to sue Defendant, you must take further action before June 25, 2011. By that date, you must request exclusion in writing to this address:
Electronic Arts Litigation Exclusion
P.O. Box 8090
San Rafael CA 94912-8090

Or submit a request for exclusion electronically at the following website: www.easportslitigation.com

For further information about excluding yourself from the class go to the following website:
www.easportslitigation.com

Please do not telephone or address inquiries to the Court.
April 6, 2011. By Order of the U.S. District Court (N.D. Cal. - Oakland Div.).

Cry Havoc
04-08-2011, 02:03 PM
The best football game of all time is still NFL 2k5. Sad that EA had to buy out the NFL rights in order to beat the competition, rather than just, you know, making better football games every year. I hope this lawsuit hammers them.

cool cat
04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
The best football game of all time is still NFL 2k5.

Was that the piece of garbage they tried to give away to people for $20?

IronMexican
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
I doubt they win this case.

Be cool ot have 2k make a comback, but it would probably take them till 2013 to start on a game, since they'd have to make the engine first.

LnGrrrR
04-08-2011, 02:21 PM

Someone in this thread is an idiot, and it's not me.

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2011, 02:54 PM
well I hadn't posted prior to you so isnt me I hope

ManuBalboa
04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
in4 class action lawsuit concerning shitty games with nothing more than updated rosters

I hope EA goes bankrupt.

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2011, 07:18 PM
EA started the trend of if you buy a used game you have to pay $10 to play online.

BruceBowenFan
04-08-2011, 07:30 PM

That game was the shit, better than madden 05.

vander
04-09-2011, 01:48 PM
just some lawyers out looking for another big easy payday

Strike
04-09-2011, 02:32 PM
EA sports should be sued for not making a good NBA game in nearly a decade.

baseline bum
04-09-2011, 07:45 PM
EA sports should be sued for not making a good NBA game in nearly a decade.

Live 2003 was awesome, but it has been shit since then. Live 2001 and 2002 were spectacularly bad.

lefty
04-09-2011, 08:03 PM
The best football game of all time is still NFL 2k5. Sad that EA had to buy out the NFL rights in order to beat the competition, rather than just, you know, making better football games every year. I hope this lawsuit hammers them.
Ah yes, I remember NFL 2K5

It was awesome

And the coaches going nuts always cracked me up - " Aaaaaaargh ! aaaaaaaaargh ! "

And the Superbowl pre-game with the jetfighters was well done

Strike
04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Live 2003 was awesome, but it has been shit since then. Live 2001 and 2002 were spectacularly bad.

Exactly. I still play Live '03. Every one after has been a huge steaming pile of shit.

greyforest
04-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Fuck EA.

TimDunkem
04-11-2011, 05:41 AM
Someone in this thread is an idiot, and it's not me.
Really...What an idiot. NFL 2k5 with updated rosters is probably the greatest football game ever.

Cry Havoc
04-11-2011, 08:39 AM
That game was the shit, better than madden 2011.

Ftfy.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm lost.

How can this be a lawsuit for being overcharged when as a buyer you are not forced to buy the product.

What am I missing?

greyforest
04-11-2011, 12:51 PM
I'm lost.

How can this be a lawsuit for being overcharged when as a buyer you are not forced to buy the product.

What am I missing?

Defendant Electronic Arts entered into a series of exclusive licenses with the National Football League (NFL), National Football League Players' Association (NFLPA), National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA), and Arena Football League (AFL), which Plaintiffs claim foreclosed competition in an alleged football video game market.

EA's monopolistic behavior

cool cat
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
You put ESPN on the title; you price it at $20. It still failed. End of story. Well for some of you, you will still cry how great it was but most people have moved on from a game that is nearly 7 years old and greatly overrated.

Sense
04-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I got an email about this shit but I skimmed it... something about getting off the list or something..

Fuck EA

Cry Havoc
04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
You put ESPN on the title; you price it at $20. It still failed. End of story. Well for some of you, you will still cry how great it was but most people have moved on from a game that is nearly 7 years old and greatly overrated.

Who are you, a customer rep for EA? You're clearly clueless. Yeah, 2k was so nonthreatening that EA spent a cool billion dollars for exclusive rights to the NFL trademark. :lmao

cool cat
04-14-2011, 06:25 PM
Who are you, a customer rep for EA? You're clearly clueless. Yeah, 2k was so nonthreatening that EA spent a cool billion dollars for exclusive rights to the NFL trademark. :lmao

I guess you really are still crying about a 7 year old game :rollin

Don't worry 2k will probably make another one next year.

lefty
04-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Don't worry 2k will probably make another one next year.
I agree with Cry Havoc

He has pwned you big time :lol

FkLA
04-14-2011, 09:11 PM
are we getting money ?!?

Cry Havoc
04-15-2011, 07:57 AM

I'm certainly not putting up $1,000,000,000 so 2k sports can't make another NFL licensed football game. Which is more pathetic, I wonder?

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
How many copies did the Blitz: The League series sell?

z0sa
04-15-2011, 04:17 PM
EA Sports is so fucking terrible. Anyone ignorant enough to buy either NBA Live or Madden post 2005, (worse if you bought Madden since you contributed to EA Sports bullshit football monopoly and let EA capitalize in the $billions on your astounding ignorance concerning good video games), you don't deserve any compensation for your failure.

cool cat
04-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I'm certainly not putting up $1,000,000,000 so 2k sports can't make another NFL licensed football game. Which is more pathetic, I wonder?

The pathetic one is you, making up numbers like 1 billion and saying EA did it to stop 2k from making football games.

First, saying EA paid 1 billion is just bullshit, like pretty much everything you said so far. How much they paid was never officially released, and the most common answer from legit news sources say $300 million.

Second, EA didn't go out to buy the NFL rights to stop competition, the NFL put their rights up for bidding so only one company could make NFL games. If there is anyone to blame for exclusivity it's the NFL.

baseline bum
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Who are you, a customer rep for EA?

Probably not; I have never heard anything good about EA from anyone who worked for them at any level.

DMC
04-15-2011, 07:22 PM
The NBA game is just as shitty. Same thing, different rosters and some shiny areas on the court. Hell, Steve Kerr has been using the same lines for the past 3 or 4 game titles.

None of it is a fun as arch rivals or "is it the shoes?" NBA Jam or whatever it was called.

Cry Havoc
04-16-2011, 02:20 PM
The pathetic one is you, making up numbers like 1 billion and saying EA did it to stop 2k from making football games.

First, saying EA paid 1 billion is just bullshit, like pretty much everything you said so far. How much they paid was never officially released, and the most common answer from legit news sources say $300 million.

Second, EA didn't go out to buy the NFL rights to stop competition, the NFL put their rights up for bidding so only one company could make NFL games. If there is anyone to blame for exclusivity it's the NFL.

:lmao :lmao :lmao

So EA is less pathetic because they only paid 1/3rd of a billion dollars for exclusive rights. And :lmao at suggesting it was for any other reason than to stop 2k sports. Why else would you drop over a quarter billion dollars? :lol Just keep posting dude, it's been awhile since someone has embarrassed themselves this badly in The Geek Zone.

cool cat
04-17-2011, 12:07 AM

So EA is less pathetic because they only paid 1/3rd of a billion dollars for exclusive rights. And :lmao at suggesting it was for any other reason than to stop 2k sports. Why else would you drop over a quarter billion dollars? :lol Just keep posting dude, it's been awhile since someone has embarrassed themselves this badly in The Geek Zone.

No your still the pathetic one after getting owned by making your bullshit statements.

I think it's funny that you say a company that has 1/3 a billion dollars to drop is pathetic. To me it's more pathetic that a game, at a give away price, still gets outsold by a full price game.

So tell us your next lie and act like you know what your talking about.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 12:15 AM
No your still the pathetic one after getting owned by making your bullshit statements.

I think it's funny that you say a company that has 1/3 a billion dollars to drop is pathetic. To me it's more pathetic that a game, at a give away price, still gets outsold by a full price game.

So tell us your next lie and act like you know what your talking about.

Nice. You managed to backpedal and move goalposts at the same time. That's talent.

leemajors
04-17-2011, 02:45 AM

EA had the money to do it, so why wouldn't they? You can't really blame them to having the bankroll to block anyone else and taking advantage of things as they are (outside of any other thread comments). The NFL is and always will be hyper greed driven.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 03:23 AM
EA had the money to do it, so why wouldn't they?

Why spend money if you don't have to? It makes no sense for a company to throw down any amount of significant capital to secure exclusive rights for a product unless they feel threatened. What do you think, EA has enough spare cash laying around to just throw down a third of a billion just to have pro names in their game? You think they're sitting up there in their corporate office going, "Gee, we have so much money and we don't know how to spend it?" Come on now, no company in the world is going to drop that much money for a flight of fancy. The fact that cool cat suggests otherwise is ludicrous. They spent enough money to build a new EA HQ skyscraper in any city in the world, just for rights to the names of NFL players. Think about that.

Since they've secured said rights, the Madden games have been complete shit. My point isn't that EA made a poor business decision, it's that they know idiots like cool cat will defend their product to the death no matter how horrible it is, so they will just keep cranking out minor improvements or actually worse gameplay year after year and people keep buying it. They had to secure rights, because 2k was destroying them in ratings and quickly gaining in sales. EA would rather buy out with a contract than actually spend the time it takes to make a stellar football game.

jimo2305
04-17-2011, 09:31 AM
i was a moderator over at 2k and we had to deal with senseless brand loyalists like cool cat.. we even thought some of these guys actually did work for ea sports and came to spam our forum with the most outrageous comments about how bad nfl 2k5 was lol..

if madden is as good as these cats say it is.. it should've crushed their competition..

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_2004_sales_figures

madden sales since have been declining.. if anything.. i commend ea on buying away the competition.. i mean.. that's what they do.. but thats another story for another time... think about it.. for a $20 video game to be #4 out of all games on that list.. you know some shits about to happen

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 11:50 AM
i was a moderator over at 2k and we had to deal with senseless brand loyalists like cool cat.. we even thought some of these guys actually did work for ea sports and came to spam our forum with the most outrageous comments about how bad nfl 2k5 was lol..

if madden is as good as these cats say it is.. it should've crushed their competition..

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_2004_sales_figures

madden sales since have been declining.. if anything.. i commend ea on buying away the competition.. i mean.. that's what they do.. but thats another story for another time... think about it.. for a $20 video game to be #4 out of all games on that list.. you know some shits about to happen

It's also notable that NFL 2k5 made the top 10 list for both the Ps2 and Xbox, while Madden only made the list for Ps2. 2k was definitely making major inroads into EA's domain, all the more an indication that people were shifting buying habits to reflect the overwhelmingly more positive reviews that 2k5 received.

cool cat
04-17-2011, 08:49 PM
It's also notable that NFL 2k5 made the top 10 list for both the Ps2 and Xbox, while Madden only made the list for Ps2. 2k was definitely making major inroads into EA's domain, all the more an indication that people were shifting buying habits to reflect the overwhelmingly more positive reviews that 2k5 received.

I take back what I said about you earlier, you are not a liar, you are just stupid.

From your own website you linked,
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Madden

Madden 2005 sold 1.42 million in US (Xbox)
ESPN NFL 2K5 (1.38 million in US) (Xbox)
__________________________________________________ _____________

And to your other comment, where have I defended Madden to death? You making that claim is just another one of your bullshit comments.

I didn't like ESPN 2k5, it was a gimmick football game where the first two or three games it was cool to see the presentation stuff but after that you just wanted to skip it.

The game play was not as good as madden with the whole charge up your runner thing. I'm not saying it’s bad but it wasn't a football sim it was more like an arcade game.

The AI was dumb and there was way to many fluky interceptions. Animations were better than madden, when they worked. They were buggy as hell I remember one time my receiver in the air bent over, caught the ball, juked, bent over again and then came down from the air.

My point being, for $20 the supposed "greatest football game ever" still got outsold by the "inferior" Madden.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Now the only thing I did defend was I didn't think EA was pathetic for buying what the NFL was selling.

From an IGN article "EA and the NFL made an agreement that assured a premium price. See, the NFL gets a percentage of sales, so lower retail cost means less money for them. So if someone can be successful selling a game at, say, $20, well, the NFL ultimately gets a smaller piece of the pie (so would Microsoft and Sony, who earn a percentage of all game sales for their platforms). This deal worked out great for both EA and the NFL and screwed you in the process."

"As a business decision, owning the NFL license is about a good a move as EA could ever make."

"I know it certainly burned a lot of 2K fans (and EA haters), but it was a shrewd and ultimately successful business move."

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 09:38 PM
I take back what I said about you earlier, you are not a liar, you are just stupid.

From your own website you linked,
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Madden

Interesting. Please show me where I linked that? Oh, you mean Jimo? Yeah, it's okay, I don't expect you to have the capacity to differentiate between two posters. :lol

Madden 2005 sold 1.42 million in US (Xbox)
ESPN NFL 2K5 (1.38 million in US) (Xbox)

So, if the top 10 chart is accurate, 2k5 outsold Madden, and if this citation is correct, 2k5 trailed Madden by 40,000 units. Not bad for a title you claim "failed". In fact, as a top 10 (or 11) selling game of the year, how could you possibly claim that it failed and expect your argument to be taken with any modicum of common sense? Perhaps you can help me out here and explain how one of the best selling titles over a year is considered a failure?

And to your other comment, where have I defended Madden to death? You making that claim is just another one of your bullshit comments.

Gee, I dunno, saying 2k5 failed, claiming it's highly overrated (nice subjective opinion for many reviewers, "Sports Game of the Year" by the way), basically talking up EA while denigrating the success and gameplay of 2k5?

I didn't like ESPN 2k5, it was a gimmick football game

LOL. A Madden apologist talking about another sports franchise as "gimmick". Gee, let me call the 40th deep out of the game on Madden to score my 7th touchdown with the same receiver. :lmao

the first two or three games it was cool to see the presentation stuff but after that you just wanted to skip it.

More ridiculously subjective opinion. Bravo.

The game play was not as good as madden with the whole charge up your runner thing. I'm not saying it’s bad but it wasn't a football sim it was more like an arcade game.

I'll just file this under
where have I defended Madden to death?

:rollin

The AI was dumb and there was way to many fluky interceptions.

Both of which criticisms that are still routinely leveled at Madden 7 years later. :lmao

Animations were better than madden, when they worked. They were buggy as hell I remember one time my receiver in the air bent over, caught the ball, juked, bent over again and then came down from the air.

Yes, Madden has never been subject to buggy animations. :lmao

My point being, for $20 the supposed "greatest football game ever" still got outsold by the "inferior" Madden.

Ah, the old, "It sold a lot so it's awesome" argument. That goes right up there next to the "Backstreet Boys" and "Britney Spears" being two of the top selling recording artists of all time, so they're obviously better than 99% of the classic rock bands or any classically trained musician. :lmao Great argument. Really stands on it's own two feet as an example of your level of critical analysis. :lol

Now the only thing I did defend was I didn't think EA was pathetic for buying what the NFL was selling.

:rollin Right. That's all you did.

cool cat
04-17-2011, 09:52 PM
Interesting. Please show me where I linked that? Oh, you mean Jimo? Yeah, it's okay, I don't expect you to have the capacity to differentiate between two posters. :lol

So, if the top 10 chart is accurate, 2k5 outsold Madden, and if this citation is correct, 2k5 trailed Madden by 40,000 units. Not bad for a title you claim "failed". In fact, as a top 10 (or 11) selling game of the year, how could you possibly claim that it failed and expect your argument to be taken with any modicum of common sense? Perhaps you can help me out here and explain how one of the best selling titles over a year is considered a failure?

Gee, I dunno, saying 2k5 failed, claiming it's highly overrated (nice subjective opinion for many reviewers, "Sports Game of the Year" by the way), basically talking up EA while denigrating the success and gameplay of 2k5?

LOL. A Madden apologist talking about another sports franchise as "gimmick". Gee, let me call the 40th deep out of the game on Madden to score my 7th touchdown with the same receiver. :lmao

More ridiculously subjective opinion. Bravo.

I'll just file this under

:rollin

Both of which criticisms that are still routinely leveled at Madden 7 years later. :lmao

Yes, Madden has never been subject to buggy animations. :lmao

Ah, the old, "It sold a lot so it's awesome" argument. That goes right up there next to the "Backstreet Boys" and "Britney Spears" being two of the top selling recording artists of all time, so they're obviously better than 99% of the classic rock bands or any classically trained musician. :lmao Great argument. Really stands on it's own two feet as an example of your level of critical analysis. :lol

:rollin Right. That's all you did.

Wow, a line by line refute of my post, get a life. After the first one I knew not to read anymore.

You quoted the post by jimo and used the link to base your bullshit comments.
p.s. use more smilies they make you look cool.

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
Wow, a line by line refute of my post, get a life. After the first one I knew not to read anymore.

Them's some awfully big words from a guy making repeated posts about a video game on an internet sports forum. :lmao

You quoted the post by jimo and used the link to base your bullshit comments.

So that makes it "my" link and "my own" website? Whatever you say, chief. :lol

p.s. use more smilies they make you look cool.

Well, not quite as cool as someone with the name "cool cat", but it's hard not to laugh at your ridiculous arguments. :lol

cool cat
04-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Them's some awfully big words from a guy making repeated posts about a video game on an internet sports forum. :lmao

So that makes it "my" link and "my own" website? Whatever you say, chief. :lol

Well, not quite as cool as someone with the name "cool cat", but it's hard not to laugh at your ridiculous arguments. :lol

Two line by line arguments in a row. Well you are the winner sir i'm not going to waste my time doing that.

You are full of bullshit and don't argue the points, you just put words in peoples mouths and you havn't gotten any facts right in any of your posts. So there is really no point for me to continue, but I think you should, show the world how much of a internet badass you are. Here is a smiley for ya :hat

Cry Havoc
04-17-2011, 11:08 PM
Two line by line arguments in a row. Well you are the winner sir i'm not going to waste my time doing that.

You are full of bullshit and don't argue the points, you just put words in peoples mouths and you havn't gotten any facts right in any of your posts. So there is really no point for me to continue, but I think you should, show the world how much of a internet badass you are. Here is a smiley for ya :hat

Waving the white flag so soon? Come back when you can manage a coherent debate. Good effort though, especially the ad hominem accusing the other person on the internet of not having a life. That's never been used on the net before. :lol

Sense
04-18-2011, 12:41 AM
This is going another 6 pages of back and forth quoting and laughing and talking shit...

Damnit CH, you should get a Spur for the most endless arguments on this forum...

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Damnit CH, you should get a Spur for the most endless arguments on this forum...

I have nothing on the Political Forum, to be honest, but I do enjoy rational discourse. Unfortunately most arguments degenerate due to the fact that most people cannot see past their own subjectivity.

ALVAREZ6
04-18-2011, 09:10 AM
crofl

lmao @ cool cat, what a fucking dumb ass

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 09:48 AM
crofl

lmao @ cool cat, what a fucking dumb ass

I love the, "You actually countered my points but I'm still going to pretend like I'm walking away from an argument victorious" routine. It never gets old. :lol

jimo2305
04-18-2011, 02:01 PM
this was a riot.. after the response to my link.. i was like 'ok.. this guy's just trolling now' lol

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
this was a riot.. after the response to my link.. i was like 'ok.. this guy's just trolling now' lol

Probably, but it's still hilarious because he's such a bad troll, in that case.

leemajors
04-18-2011, 04:19 PM
Why spend money if you don't have to? It makes no sense for a company to throw down any amount of significant capital to secure exclusive rights for a product unless they feel threatened. What do you think, EA has enough spare cash laying around to just throw down a third of a billion just to have pro names in their game? You think they're sitting up there in their corporate office going, "Gee, we have so much money and we don't know how to spend it?" Come on now, no company in the world is going to drop that much money for a flight of fancy. The fact that cool cat suggests otherwise is ludicrous. They spent enough money to build a new EA HQ skyscraper in any city in the world, just for rights to the names of NFL players. Think about that.

Since they've secured said rights, the Madden games have been complete shit. My point isn't that EA made a poor business decision, it's that they know idiots like cool cat will defend their product to the death no matter how horrible it is, so they will just keep cranking out minor improvements or actually worse gameplay year after year and people keep buying it. They had to secure rights, because 2k was destroying them in ratings and quickly gaining in sales. EA would rather buy out with a contract than actually spend the time it takes to make a stellar football game.

Being able to purchase a monopoly of the most insanely popular sport in the US and sell millions of copies is a no brainer imo. Of course you do it. Then you fire half the developers, sell a pos, and people are compelled to buy it cause it's the only game in town.

Cry Havoc
04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Being able to purchase a monopoly of the most insanely popular sport in the US and sell millions of copies is a no brainer imo. Of course you do it. Then you fire half the developers, sell a pos, and people are compelled to buy it cause it's the only game in town.

But why would you even need to do that if the competition, as purported by cool cat, was failing anyway?

leemajors
04-18-2011, 04:26 PM
But why would you even need to do that if the competition, as purported by cool cat, was failing anyway?

I didn't bother reading his posts tbh