PDA

View Full Version : Kobe endorses Shaw as Jackson’s replacement

ducks
04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AqWcnb.DT5TWPEo1wZAkOvW8vLYF?slug=mc-spears_kobe_endorses_shaw_as_lakers_coach_040811

tlongII
04-08-2011, 05:28 PM
I hope LA does it. It would be incredibly stupid of them.

Koolaid_Man
04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
More importantly Kool endorses it as well...Give a brother a chance Dr. Buss....

Big ups to my man main Kobe and the Krew for standing by B-Shaw....B done put in his work....and paid some dues....

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Isn't kobe retiring this year? whats it matter who coaches the lakers next year

ginobili's bald spot
04-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Isn't kobe retiring this year? whats it matter who coaches the lakers next year

You are like lefty's retarded little brother.

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 06:07 PM
I hope LA does it. It would be incredibly stupid of them.

Did you say the same thing when PDX hired Nate? Just curious.

xtremesteven33
04-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Jackson will proably do what he normally does, abandon a sinking ship and jump to the next biggest thing...

j.dizzle
04-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Doesnt really matter who coaches, its not like Phil does anything these days other than whistle & stare down Odom when he makes mental errors :lmao. They'll probably save 7-8 million a year at the coaching position. Phils random ass comments & jabs will definitely be missed though.

tlongII
04-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Did you say the same thing when PDX hired Nate? Just curious.

No. I thought Nate was a great hire and I still do. I think Shaw would be a stupid hire though. I don't think you can replace a coaching legend with an assistant from his staff. It is doomed to failure imo.

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2011, 07:04 PM
You are like lefty's retarded little brother.

Ah gee here I am blushing.

Riddler
04-08-2011, 07:06 PM
Phil isn't retiring, he is just trolling the fuck outta errbody

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 07:13 PM
No. I thought Nate was a great hire and I still do. I think Shaw would be a stupid hire though. I don't think you can replace a coaching legend with an assistant from his staff. It is doomed to failure imo.
B Shaw has fought (and won) wars next to Kobe. His 3pt banker started the comeback for the Lakers against your Blazers. No wonder you mad. :lol

He has the respect of Kobe, Fish, and the FO of the Lakers. The talent is still there despite PJ (maybe) not returning. Why would it be doomed to fail? Your reaaaacccchhhhiinnnnggggg on this one tlongII.

He will be a fine coach for the champs. He has paid his dues and will do fine for the Lakers if it comes to it.

ducks
04-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Bynum and gasol are the ones that count for lakers

also if ron does not like shaw he will act up (will he respect shaw?)
odom can shaw keep him motivated?

kobe is slowing down........

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Bynum and gasol are the ones that count for lakers
Partially true statement. As long as the Lakers have these two guys they will be tough to beat if teams struggle to score in the paint.

also if ron does not like shaw he will act up (will he respect shaw?)
Everybody from Dr. Buss on down to the towel boys respect B Shaw. To be honest, Artest has been a model citizen this year. He's matured somewhat and is no longer the Indiana knucklehead he used to be.

odom can shaw keep him motivated?
LO doesn't need a coach to motivate him. That comes from within. LO has been in LA since 2006 - he fully knows what's expected of him and he can contribute to this team. Those factors are independent of B Shaw

kobe is slowing down........
True, but his game is not dependent on his physical gifts anymore. It has been that way for at least 4 years now. Even as he ages, as long as the Lakers can establish an inside presence (shouldn't be too hard with Pau/Bynum), Kobe will be effective still. His jumpshot is going NOWHERE.

tlongII
04-08-2011, 07:34 PM
B Shaw has fought (and won) wars next to Kobe. His 3pt banker started the comeback for the Lakers against your Blazers. No wonder you mad. :lol

He has the respect of Kobe, Fish, and the FO of the Lakers. The talent is still there despite PJ (maybe) not returning. Why would it be doomed to fail? Your reaaaacccchhhhiinnnnggggg on this one tlongII.

He will be a fine coach for the champs. He has paid his dues and will do fine for the Lakers if it comes to it.

The fact that Shaw played with Kobe means nothing. PJ has a proven coaching record and the players respect that. Shaw has no track record. It would be a dumb move.

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 07:43 PM
The fact that Shaw played with Kobe means nothing. PJ has a proven coaching record and the players respect that. Shaw has no track record. It would be a dumb move.

I would disagree with that statement. Dr. Buss chose Kobe over Shaq. That means Kobe is the face of the franchise. Kobe respects Shaw. The whole team respects Kobe. If Kobe endorses Shaw, the rest of the Laker players will fall in line behind him.

I sense that you have a healthy respect for PJ. One thing you may (or may not know) is that each of the Laker assistant coaches are in charge of preparing the Lakers for certain teams. That means PJ has delegated a lot of his head coaching authority to his assistant coaches. Not only has B Shaw been in charge of preparing for a handful of teams, he has also been groomed to replace PJ.

So if Shaw has learned his craft from PJ, the triangle and defensive principles remain, the championship caliber team also for the most part remains in tact, why wouldn't Shaw succeed? He won't be like Rambis was when he took over the T'Pups. Shaw is taking over a championship squad that respects him.

tlongII
04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
I would disagree with that statement. Dr. Buss chose Kobe over Shaq. That means Kobe is the face of the franchise. Kobe respects Shaw. The whole team respects Kobe. If Kobe endorses Shaw, the rest of the Laker players will fall in line behind him.

I sense that you have a healthy respect for PJ. One thing you may (or may not know) is that each of the Laker assistant coaches are in charge of preparing the Lakers for certain teams. That means PJ has delegated a lot of his head coaching authority to his assistant coaches. Not only has B Shaw been in charge of preparing for a handful of teams, he has also been groomed to replace PJ.

So if Shaw has learned his craft from PJ, the triangle and defensive principles remain, the championship caliber team also for the most part remains in tact, why wouldn't Shaw succeed? He won't be like Rambis was when he took over the T'Pups. Shaw is taking over a championship squad that respects him.

In my opinion the biggest job for a head coach in the NBA is to inspire and motivate his team. PJ is a master at that. He knows what buttons to push and when to push them. This skill is even more needed on a talented team like the Lakers. I don't think you can expect an assistant with no head coaching experience to possess this type of skill.

DMC
04-08-2011, 08:16 PM
It would be a hard move for Shaw. If the team loses, it's all his fault. If they win, it's not his fault, Phil did it last (this) year.

It's very much like the situation that Switzer was in when he took over the Cowboys.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-08-2011, 08:33 PM
I think it would be a big mistake for the Lakers.

Venti Quattro
04-08-2011, 08:37 PM
so who are you proposing?

coach k, who wouldn't leave duke even if you held him at gunpoint?

kurt rambis........? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Giuseppe
04-08-2011, 08:38 PM
It would be a hard move for Shaw. If the team loses, it's all his fault. If they win, it's not his fault, Phil did it last (this) year.

It's very much like the situation that Switzer was in when he took over the Cowboys.

Cept Switzer rang which really drove everybody around the corner. To this very day Media & Switzer's enemies can't figure a way to make that go away.

In his salad days at Oklahoma he took out a copyright on "Bury Barry." & he had his mouthpiece enforce it.:lol

cobbler
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Shaw is the obvious choice. He and Kobe get along well and he would run the same offense so there wont be any major changes in the transition from 3peat to 4peat.

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
What championship coach is out there that is a better option as of right now? Then again, Pop might be available after this season. :lmao

cobbler
04-08-2011, 08:47 PM
The big factor IMO with regards to Shaw is Dr. Buss's desires. He has always wanted to get away from the triangle and go back to a more showtime fast break team. I think he gives Shaw and this core one or two more years considering their strengths on the front line.

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
so who are you proposing?

coach k, who wouldn't leave duke even if you held him at gunpoint?

kurt rambis........? :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

Eff Rambis, never thought he could coach. His first stint showed me a lot. Don't care how much zen influence he absorbed from Phil over the years, he's not an X's and O's guy, a fundamental teacher type or a respected veteran type.

If the Lakers manage to win the title this year next year they'd be going for an unprecedented feat in the modern era of trying to 4peat. And a rookie coach with no head coaching experience is the man for that?

I say no. BShaw deserves the opportunity to become a head coach but to put him in the position of "win now or else" a la Spoelstra is not only unfair to Shaw, it's unfair to the Lakers who likely only have 1 more year of elite level of play.

Is it wise to experiment with that final chance? I don't think so.

Koolaid_Man
04-08-2011, 09:09 PM
right now this is all about appeasing Kobe....and if B.Shaw is his guy I'm on board with it...last thing we need is for a green sheriff to ride into town flexing some muscle only to have Kobe shut em down...The rest of the Lakers will be unequivocally loyal to Kobe and no one will want to over-step B Shaw's authority once Kobe is on board, the other thing is that Phil will be at B.Shaw's service whenever he needs him...But I'm all for Phil retiring this means that Kobe can put something on his ressume that MJ never did...win without Phil...if Kobe wins #7 without Phil - MJ will have to take a back seat...

Venti Quattro
04-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Brian Shaw has been pretty much involved with actually coaching the Lakers so I don't see why he wouldn't be handed the keys to the Rolls Royce..

Kobe_5_Duncan_4
04-08-2011, 09:19 PM
right now this is all about appeasing Kobe....and if B.Shaw is his guy I'm on board with it...last thing we need is for a green sheriff to ride into town flexing some muscle only to have Kobe shut em down...The rest of the Lakers will be unequivocally loyal to Kobe and no one will want to over-step B Shaw's authority once Kobe is on board, the other thing is that Phil will be at B.Shaw's service whenever he needs him...But I'm all for Phil retiring this means that Kobe can put something on his ressume that MJ never did...win without Phil...if Kobe wins #7 without Phil - MJ will have to take a back seat...

I'm sure Kobe is down with BShaw who's been by his side since he was a youngster. If anything, Shaw's the kind of coach Kobe likely would be able to control because he's young and inexperienced.

But I think they'd be making it harder on themselves if they roll that way.

Sure we'd keep the same system in place, probably keep most of the rest of the coaching staff but that does not work out well typically.

Utah is an example of that right now (although Deron's absense hurts too).

Not sure who the right guy is at the moment but we need a defensive minded coach who is going to get Pau Gasol to play some fucking defense.

Koolaid_Man
04-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Brian Shaw has been pretty much involved with actually coaching the Lakers so I don't see why he wouldn't be handed the keys to the Rolls Royce..

I see the other side to this as well...but in this case this is about finishing what we started....B.Shaw wasn't my first choice but he will be fine if the players are behind it...this is a championship team so I expect they know what will work for them...I'm sure they don't want someone they can push around but simply someone they can respect right out of the gates without trying to learn a new personality while trying to 4 peat. Personally I think they should hire who ever Kobe co-signs and at first I thought coach K but Phil ain't doing to much motivating and coaching these days he's just waiting on #12...:lmao

DMC
04-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Cept Switzer rang which really drove everybody around the corner. To this very day Media & Switzer's enemies can't figure a way to make that go away.

In his salad days at Oklahoma he took out a copyright on "Bury Barry." & he had his mouthpiece enforce it.:lol

The local yap is that the team would have rang without a coach, they were that talented. I cannot argue. Barry was good for them though.

LkrFan
04-08-2011, 09:46 PM

Word. :toast

Venti Quattro
04-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Shaw is the best choice because it's a seamless transition

tlongII
04-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Shaw is a horrible choice. Being Kobe's puppet is not a qualification for being a good head coach.

Giuseppe
04-08-2011, 10:00 PM
The local yap is that the team would have rang without a coach

That's the marching orders & talking points, but, Switzer rang. What, it's only him & Johnson, and Schnellenberger to ring in both college & pro football?

DMC
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
Yeah, but had Johnson come in after Barry, he would be catching the same shit, so I don't think it's about Barry. Doesn't matter though, in the grand scheme of things he's still got a ring at both levels.

Giuseppe
04-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but had Johnson come in after Barry, he would be catching the same shit, so I don't think it's about Barry. Doesn't matter though, in the grand scheme of things he's still got a ring at both levels.

Johnson was & is a Media favorite. Media didn't want Barry ringing there and diluting Johnson's dual accomplishment so soon after it was lodged. Also, this was when Jerry Jones was still having an ongoing pissing match with Media and they were looking to beat him up for ditching Johnson and hiring his friend Switzer. Aikman hated Switzer and rolled over on him acting as bagman for Media. There was a lot of bad blood during that time span between all principals.

I've always had a soft spot for Switzer since his days of frustrating Nebraska and their pursuits in the '70s. I loathed Nebraska. And that wishbone has a place in my heart forever. It is something else again.

BlackSwordsMan
04-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Guiseppe, my friend, my amigo, the person who I can put behind me in battle and know he will protect me from my enemies. How are you today?