PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs Jazz Previews

duncan228
04-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Game is Saturday, 7:30 CST on NBA TV.

Saturday: Jazz (37-42) at Spurs (60-19) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/saturday-jazz-37-42-at-spurs-60-19/)
Jeff McDonald

...Spurs looking to sweep series from Utah for second time in three seasons. Jazz swept Spurs last season. … Jazz are 6-19 since Jerry Sloan’s resignation Feb. 10.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/saturday-jazz-37-42-at-spurs-60-19/

Spurs won’t strain for NBA’s top mark (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-won%e2%80%99t-strain-for-nba%e2%80%99s-top-mark/)
Mike Monroe

Goal No. 1 for the Spurs this season has been accomplished: securing the best record in the Western Conference and the corresponding home-court advantage through rounds one, two and three of the playoffs.

With three regular-season games to be played, goal No. 1-A — the best regular-season record in the league — remains reachable, but with slightly less urgency.

Keep reading... (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-won%e2%80%99t-strain-for-nba%e2%80%99s-top-mark/)

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/08/spurs-won%e2%80%99t-strain-for-nba%e2%80%99s-top-mark/

duncan228
04-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Utah (37-42) at San Antonio (60-19) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011040924)
Tipoff: 8:30 pm EDT Sat Apr 9, 2011
TV: FSUT, CW35
By Matt Becker

The San Antonio Spurs have put an awful stretch behind them and will enter the playoffs as the Western Conference’s top seed.

They’re now focused on securing home-court advantage throughout the postseason.

The Spurs look to win their fourth in a row and sweep the season series from the struggling Utah Jazz on Saturday night at the AT&T Center.

After dropping six straight from March 23-April 1 - its longest skid in 14 years - and seeing its conference lead dwindle to 1 1/2 games, San Antonio (60-19) has bounced back with three consecutive victories.

The Spurs wrapped up first place in the West on Wednesday when they best Sacramento 124-92 and the Los Angeles Lakers lost 86-85 to the Jazz. Manu Ginobili had a game-high 25 points for San Antonio, which shot 60.5 percent in its most lopsided win of the season.

The Spurs seem have quieted the critics with their turnaround, but they’re not done yet. San Antonio is just ahead of Chicago for the top record in the NBA and home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.

“We know we have a big chance on Saturday against the Jazz,” Ginobili said. “We were a little worried (during our losing streak). We knew it wasn’t the end of the world to finish second, but at the same time after the kind of season we had, we wanted (the top seed in the West).

“We got a great opportunity, it’s not over yet, and we definitely want to get the next one.”

Although Utah knocked off the Lakers on Wednesday, that is its only victory in the last three weeks.

The Jazz (37-42) followed up that win with a 98-87 loss to Portland the following night, their ninth defeat in 10 games. That guaranteed Utah would finish with a losing record for only the second time since 1982-83.

San Antonio has handed Utah two losses this season, and can sweep the season series for the second time in three years after losing all four games to the Jazz in 2009-10.

These teams haven’t met since the Spurs’ 112-105 win in Salt Lake City on Jan. 26, as San Antonio overcame a 39-point performance from now-former Jazz star Deron Williams. Ginobili had 26 points for San Antonio, while Tony Parker scored 23.

The Spurs allowed Utah to shoot 54.7 percent in that game, but they’re playing much better defensively, yielding an average of 93.0 points in the last three. They allowed 108.3 points and 50.3 percent shooting during the losing streak.

“We have been concentrating on the defense,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “That is where we really need to improve the most. (These last two games) we played very good defense, and it fueled the offense. That is where it all starts for us.”

That could spell trouble for Utah, which has averaged 87.8 points in its last six games. The Jazz are 2-16 when scoring 89 or fewer points, and the Spurs are 14-1 when holding opponents to fewer than 90.

“When you are struggling, everyone is concerned with their points,” Utah coach Ty Corbin said. “If you’re not making points, there are other things you can do to help.”

Jazz guard Devin Harris returned Thursday after missing five games with a strained hamstring. He tied a career best with five 3-pointers and led Utah with 26 points, but committed seven turnovers.

Team Stat Leaders

Manu Ginobili SA 17.7

Rebounds
Al Jefferson Uta 9.7
Tim Duncan SA 9.0

Assists
Devin Harris Uta 7.1
Tony Parker SA 6.6

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

Utah 37-42 4th Northwest / 11th West 99.4 101.4 Road 17-22 Lost 1 1-9
San Antonio 60-19 1st Southwest / 1st West 103.7 97.8 Home 35-5 Won 3 4-6

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011040924

Borosai
04-08-2011, 09:00 PM
Bench time.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Bench time.

Yeah, I think the B Team can win this one.

Strategic
04-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Definitely time to give the bigs some rest!!

Fireball
04-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Normal starting lineup, but much more minutes fo bench players ...

spursbird
04-09-2011, 03:37 AM
The Jazz's defense collapsed after Sloan had left. I think Hill, Neal and Blair is enough to beat them.

Manu-of-steel
04-09-2011, 09:09 AM
It would be an easy win for the spurs.

Reck
04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
I think this is the last game where Tim, Manu and Parker should play together.

After this one Pop should rest them until playoffs time.

That upcoming Lakers game is meaningless now.

shelshor
04-09-2011, 10:42 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignment
Sat. Apr. 9
Utah @ San Antonio: Bob Delaney; Mark Ayotte; John Goble

duncan228
04-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Advanced Scouting: Utah Jazz at San Antonio Spurs (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/)
by Scott Sereday
48 Minutes of Hell

Utah Jazz at San Antonio Spurs 7:30 CST April 9, 2011

The Spurs have officially clinched the top seed in the West, but there are still 3 regular season games to be played and the Bulls might still stand in the way of home court throughout. Tonight could be a good night to play the starters slightly more minutes since San Antonio will have another 2 days rest before taking on the Lakers.

The Jazz are historically a tough opponent. This year’s team owns a 37-42 record, which suggests that they are still formidable. However, their recent play indicates otherwise. This version of the Utah Jazz is missing Deron Williams (traded), Jerry Sloan (retired), Andrei Kirilenko (injured) and Mehmet Okur (injured). Others are nicked up. The Jazz are merely 8-18 without Williams, 6-19 without Sloan, 4-13 without Kirilenko and 10-29 since mid-January. Not helping to ease the situation, Utah was forced to played several games without the newly acquired Devin Harris, who returned against Portland on Thursday. Derrick Favors, the other acquisition in the Deron Williams trade with the Nets, has played fewer than 20 MPG since coming to the Jazz.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/spurs-stats-advanced-scouting-utah-jazz-4-9#more-13627)

Caeman
04-09-2011, 01:59 PM
Dang, I've watched every game this year via league pass/nba tv and the internet. However, since I'm visiting folks over the weekend I won't have access to nba tv due to it being exclusive to direct tv. Seems like I might be missing this one. Unless I come across a 'little bird' that tells me otherwise.....

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Dang, I've watched every game this year via league pass/nba tv and the internet. However, since I'm visiting folks over the weekend I won't have access to nba tv due to it being exclusive to direct tv. Seems like I might be missing this one. Unless I come across a 'little bird' that tells me otherwise.....

It amazes me how many people can come across the board and have never heard of Google. It's a pretty big company and if you can afford to invest in the software, it will really pay off.

Seventyniner
04-09-2011, 02:13 PM

I have Dish Network and League Pass, and the game is scheduled to record on NBA TV for me. I've recorded games on NBA TV before, too, so that channel is not exclusive to Direct TV.

Caeman
04-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I have Dish Network and League Pass, and the game is scheduled to record on NBA TV for me. I've recorded games on NBA TV before, too, so that channel is not exclusive to Direct TV.

:toast Thanks for the heads up. This is what I like to see. A fan looking out for another fan. I can't stand the overzealous shit DPG21902 does on this board. If i'm not mistaken DPG was riding my nuts regarding the same topic not that long ago. :lol

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 02:19 PM
"Shhhhh, girl"

-DPG

Budkin
04-09-2011, 02:27 PM

I have Time Warner Cable and it has NBA TV. Not sure if I have some special package though.

Budkin
04-09-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree with the article that says the starters should play a few more minutes than a usual shutdown game, just because it's the last home game of the season and they can keep a leg up on the Bulls. Then after that just rest em up until next weekend. Obviously we're going to get killed by the Lakers since they need that game to keep ahead of Dallas.

duncan228
04-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Antonio McDyess the only Spurs starter who will sit vs. Utah. He's got a, um, pain in the rear end. DeJuan Blair gets replacement nod.