PDA

View Full Version : Terraun's Take on Duncan's lack of Popularity

Phenomanul
06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
What makes a superstar? It really only takes 2 things. You either have to be extraordinarily skilled/talented/athletic at something (MJ, Tiger, Rice, Bonds, etc.) or you have to be controversial. What's the common denominator here? The media has to want to talk about you. Tiger has all the personality of a wet blanket. But since the Nike hype machine tapped him when he was dominating...they used his talent and turned him into a star. MJ is a dick in real life for the most part. Nobody cares because his transgressions were bottled up to protect his image. You have Rasheed who is decently skilled, but since he gives sound bytes...he stays being talked about.

Why bring this up? Hector has a point about Duncan's lack of popularity. But let's remember something. Duncan really doesn't have a desire to be a headliner. All he had to do to be a headliner one day would be to go into the media and say "I'm the greatest power forward of all time". After that, mikes and such would be in Malone's face, Barkley's face, Moses's face. He could have called Shaq "the big bulldozing klutz" after Shaq called him "the big fundamental". He's really not that engaging as a media personality, but I think that's intentional. He doesn't want to be. The curse is nobody notices cept ball fans when he averages a consistent career 23ppg. Or he has 2 rings. 2 MVPs. And he's a nice guy. But look at the benefit. Yao ming does like 90 interviews a day. He always has a look like he's three seconds from going Jet Li in Unleashed on folks. Duncan can shower in peace. He can go home and spend time with his wife, who I couldn't pick out from any other white girl in San An. The price of stardom is steep and Duncan doesn't have to pay it. Bill Simmons said it best last week when he said about Duncan "we could be witnessing the greatest power forward of all time and nobody's talking about it". I'm willing to bet that's just the way he likes it.

If I had my choice, I'd rather walk Duncan's path. A 123MM/7year deal that NOBODY griped about, two young studs who can pick up the slack when I'm hurt, 2 rings, a supporting cast that freakin loves me, a coach/GM that basically does everything through me, a terrible FT% that NOBODY gripes about nearly as much as the Big Fella despite me having one of the sweetest touches in basketball, and I still have 8 years left in me.

Terraun

TDMVPDPOY
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
Didnt greg anthony also jump onto the wagon starting callin duncan the best PF of all time in the game....saw a clip of it on espn...

Phenomanul
06-06-2005, 09:20 AM
Didnt greg anthony also jump onto the wagon starting callin duncan the best PF of all time in the game....saw a clip of it on espn...

Yeah Greg Anthony is a hypocrite....

BTW Terraun has always been a Duncan supporter... (he's a friend of mine from college)

leemajors
06-06-2005, 09:25 AM
there was a big deal made of jordan's gambling, especially when he lost something like 20k playing golf. if i remember correctly it made the cover of si and there was a gigantic hullabaloo over it. stupid thing is just about anyone who plays golf is gambling on the course - the game suits it perfectly. besides that jordan made it a point to keep his private life just that - private.

jalbre6
06-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Cool post. Who is Terraun?