PDA

View Full Version : Lakers won't admit it, but Blazers beat them up

tlongII
04-09-2011, 01:49 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf/2011/04/canzano_lakers_wont_admit_it_b.html

http://media.oregonlive.com/oregonian/photo/2011/04/trail-blazers-vs-lakers-april-8-2011-31aa9d39f6546800.jpg
Lamar Odom fouls Gerald Wallace as he brings the ball up court Friday at the Rose Garden. But Ron Artest doesn't think it was a physical game.

The evidence was all over the visiting locker room at the Rose Garden on Friday night. Medical tape strewn on the floor. A bucket filled with ice water at the foot of Kobe Bryant's locker. A doctor, latex gloves on, applying ointment to Lamar Odom's floor burns.

The Lakers looked beat.

Pau Gasol dressed, then explained, "We have work to do." Coach Phil Jackson said, "I can't explain why we were lazy or didn't get back on defense." One of the veteran Lakers, still in the showers, dropped an expletive that rattled through the room. And a few feet away, Ron Artest slipped on a pair of brown shoes and called to the team trainer, "I need a bag of ice for the plane."

The Blazers hammered the Lakers 93-86. It was a chippy night. In part, because Portland led by as many as 24 points. Three technical fouls. Brandon Roy had tense words with both Bryant and Artest. Gerald Wallace tangled with Artest, throwing so many elbows and rumps in the key they looked like two men battling over a quarter in a telephone booth coin-return slot.

The Blazers didn't wilt. They didn't back down. This felt different. And that fight in Portland's heart became so obvious that the public address system played Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" coming out of a fourth-quarter timeout.

Except the Lakers claim they barely noticed.

"Physical?" Artest said, "I guess, maybe. I don't know. I'm a physical player so that just feels normal to me. If (Gerald Wallace) wants to feel good about that, good for him.

"The playoffs haven't even started yet."

So, um, Wallace vs. Artest II anyone?

Yeah. Me, too.

Because as Artest left the Rose Garden, I talked with him down a hallway about the possibility of drawing Portland in the first round, and also, what Friday's game might have signaled. Did he notice the extra fight? Was the Blazers' charged-up spirit as plain to Artest as it was the rest of us? Does the guy who bullied Portland out of the playoffs in Houston two seasons ago see a difference in their eyes?

"That out there? That was nothing to me."

Nothing? No growth? No difference? No Wallace-led and Roy-fueled refusal to back down to the defending champions? No message sent? Nothing?

"Nope."

Look around the NBA on Friday and what you find were technical fouls and an ejection in Boston. And Memphis slamming the door on Sacramento, hunting a better seed in the West. And so, yeah, the electricity inside the Rose Garden, and the Blazers looking like the aggressors all made perfect sense.

Portland sent a message. And it was this: "We're not the same ol' first-round patsy." The Rockets two seasons ago. The Suns last season. If it's the Lakers in 2011 for Portland, well, then it's going to feel like a cage match. The Blazers would be a long shot to win a series against Los Angeles, but not for lack of courage.

It made me want to see more of the Blazers and Lakers. And I suspect it made the Lakers want to see less of it.

Said Artest: "Naw, they weren't that tough or anything out there. I'm not trying to play around or be funny about it. I'm not even worried about them, or the playoffs. It's not the playoffs yet. That's another level of physical. We have three more games. I'm not worried about the playoffs now."

Now. Understand. The more you talk with Artest, the more you like him. He's interesting. And candid. And atypical in an NBA locker room. I'm not sure if he was waging psychological war or in denial or just being goofy. But of the things said in the Lakers locker room, nothing was more interesting than the resident tough guy announcing that the Blazers felt like flies at a picnic.

Even on a night when it was apparent that Portland beat the reigning champions to the punch, with LaMarcus Aldridge swatting four Lakers shots and Wallace refusing to be bullied and Andre Miller throwing alley-oop passes for dunks as if he hired an eye in the sky, Artest still wouldn't admit a thing.

"I'm super-physical," he said. "If they feel good for being tough guys, good for them. But that was nothing."

Later, when I asked about that bag of ice he requested for the plane ride home, Artest said, "I use it to put in my bottle of Gatorade."

I'm not buying it.

Nor should you.

100%duncan
04-09-2011, 02:09 AM
why do you have 4 different threads, can't you compile them into 1 thread,

fify

Sean Cagney
04-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Another title win for Tlong! Every win they get he celebrates as if they won the title game! Good lord bruh just make one damn thread like they said, you have to make 100 every F IN win they get during the regular season.

Biggems
04-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Hooray for the Blazers, they won a regular season game against the Champs.....Victory parade on Sunday.

LkrFan
04-09-2011, 10:48 AM
tlongII, were you even born the last time Portland rang? :lol

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 11:02 AM
You shouldn't be allowed to have that avatar with 8 straight losses :lol

j.dizzle
04-09-2011, 12:27 PM
What day is the rally next week? :lmao
N7SRoqZsrh8

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 12:29 PM
What day is the rally next week? :lmao
N7SRoqZsrh8

Timeout on that Mr. Dizzle. With the way Laker fan showed their ass when it looked like LA might catch SA for the #1 spot, you've got no room.

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 12:34 PM
you've got no room.

I'm a trend setter.

I set trends.

Biggems
04-09-2011, 12:35 PM
The Lakers are the defending Champs, so that gives their fans a little leeway. The Blazers have been nothing but a bunch of preseason premature ejaculators for the last 5-8 years now. Come the end of the regular season or postseason they are nothing but a bunch of impotent jackasses.....

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 12:36 PM
a bunch of impotent jackasses.....

Hell, I got half that covered myself.:depressed

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 12:37 PM
The Lakers are the defending Champs, so that gives their fans a little leeway. The Blazers have been nothing but a bunch of preseason premature ejaculators for the last 5-8 years now. Come the end of the regular season or postseason they are nothing but a bunch of impotent jackasses.....

Uh, uh. Laker fans all but set fire to their knock off LA gear when the shit hit the fan and even now with the team winning, they don't know how to act. They get not leeway.

Cockroaches.

CubanMustGo
04-09-2011, 01:11 PM
tlongII, were you even born the last time Portland rang? :lol

Yeh, he's on the far side of 50.

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 01:40 PM

That's disappointing to hear. He comes off as someone much younger, like in his late teens.

DPG21920
04-09-2011, 01:43 PM
LA wants nothing to do with POR in the first round. No one does.

Koolaid_Man
04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Uh, uh. Laker fans all but set fire to their knock off LA gear when the shit hit the fan and even now with the team winning, they don't know how to act. They get not leeway.

Cockroaches.

actually you're closer to a cock roach than most you are like 5'1...:lol

Kyle Orton
04-09-2011, 01:47 PM
Timeout on that Mr. Dizzle. With the way Laker fan showed their ass when it looked like LA might catch SA for the #1 spot, you've got no room.
DPG, checkin' Laker assholes

Let us proceed...

namlook
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
LOL at the Oregonian being the source for this thread.

Dr House
04-09-2011, 01:53 PM
stupid article

jag
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Kobe alone can lose 1 or 2 games for them in a playoff series.

Kobe +/-

TampaDude
04-09-2011, 03:53 PM
We haven't seen Wallace throw a punch yet, but we all know artest couldn't knock out a fat Beaner with his best shot..

:lol

lil_penny
04-09-2011, 04:32 PM
We haven't seen Wallace throw a punch yet, but we all know artest couldn't knock out a fat Beaner with his best shot..

:lmao

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 05:51 PM

And we also know that Artest rang, and Wallace hasn't.

tlongII
04-09-2011, 06:29 PM
And we also know that Artest rang, and Wallace hasn't.

yet

LkrFan
04-09-2011, 06:54 PM

My badd - gotta respect my elders. But you know the saying, "Old fools used to be young fools!" :lol

Tinystarz
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM
lakers

http://i54.tinypic.com/b8x100.gif