PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose or Dwight Howard???

Ari Gold
04-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Wich player wuld you pick to start and build your franchise around?

daspurs
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Mickey mouse Howard

jeebus
04-09-2011, 10:02 PM
lol

IronMexican
04-09-2011, 10:03 PM
Howard.

Bigs 9 out of 10 times. I think someone had a poll like this two years ago and I picked Paul over Howard. I think I'd take Howard over any player to build a franchise around right now.

Giuseppe
04-09-2011, 10:07 PM
Even though I hate the little prick and begrudge him anything he garners I'd still go with Rose.

Howard is just a juvenile delinquent. He's gunshy & pussy whipped.

BRHornet45
04-09-2011, 10:10 PM
hate em both as people, but Howard by a mile ... was this a joke?

DMC
04-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Probably Howard. Your PG doesn't need to be Rose quality, but your center needs to be Howard quality. I think big centers attract better players to that team.

The Lakers won 5 rings without a decent PG. Try that without a decent center.

dastrey
04-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Rose. Easily. Didn't Gasol shut down Howard in the Finals a couple years ago?

TE
04-09-2011, 10:45 PM
Rose...

Juanobili
04-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Rose.

mystargtr34
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Dwight Howard.

spursbird
04-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Howard.

mystargtr34
04-09-2011, 11:24 PM
They have similar impact on the offensive end... Rose scores more and obviously gets more assists however he has the second highest usage rate in the league behind obviously Kobe .. plus Rose is really inefficient.. in fact along with Kobe they are the only two really inefficient 'superstars' in the league in terms of FG% and TS%.

However its easily understandable for Rose since he is really the only guy on the Bulls who can create his own shot + create for others so he is asked to carry a large load.

Defensively Howard wins in a landslide.. and because of this i would probably consider taking Howard over even LeBron with the first pick if a draft were held for one season. There are a few guys i would take over Rose... obviously Howard and LeBron.. Dwyane Wade, Kobe, Gasol.. but thats probably it. The last 3 are debatable but the first LeBron and Howard are easy choices for me.

Juggity
04-09-2011, 11:33 PM
Dwight Howard...His deltoids told me to pick him, and they promised that if I didn't, they would become sentient and seek me out in the middle of the night, pounding my entire existence into a small puddle of quivering flesh

TampaDude
04-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Howard, easily. He is one of the few dominant bigs in the NBA. He has improved his game every year. If he ever develops a consistent jumper, it's over for the East.

HarlemHeat37
04-10-2011, 02:06 AM
With Howard's improved and expanding offensive repertoire, only Lebron, maybe Wade at the top of his game, is better than him IMO..

His D has been below his usual standards this year, mostly due to his offensive focus, but he's still easily the best defensive anchor in the NBA, obviously..

hitmanyr2k
04-10-2011, 02:25 AM
Probably Howard...only because there are no centers left in the league while you have many good/great point guards. As good as Howard is, if he's your best player I don't think your team is going to win it all. His development has been slow and his offensive game is still raw and has a lot of holes. He's still a dumb player and prone to stupid fouls. Also, his offensive game isn't good enough to overcome his crap foul shooting.

Holden_Caulfield
04-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Tiago Splitter.

100%duncan
04-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Howard, great big> great pg

Kamnik
04-10-2011, 03:09 AM
Howard, great big> great pg

Agreed.

I can think of 10-15 guards who can be the second force next to Howard.

How many bigs can be a real force next to Rose? If you don't count Howard what does it come down to right now? Gasol? Griffin? There are a bunch of good big men but not many great.

JustBlaze
04-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Howard.

Pelicans78
04-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Dwight Howard

boutons_deux
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Howard's chronic TF problem indicate the guy isn't a leader, not a cool head.

He and Richardson, Magic's top scorers, took themselves out of today's game vs Bulls.

Giuseppe
04-10-2011, 11:23 AM
Howard's chronic TF problem indicate the guy isn't a leader, not a cool head.

He and Richardson, Magic's top scorers, took themselves out of today's game vs Bulls.

And at least for Howard it was done subconsiously.

Richardson has always been a man's man.

Kyle Orton
04-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Howard, obviously. Point guard's lose championships.

Leetonidas
04-10-2011, 11:29 AM
Howard. It's not his fault Lewis was massively overpaid, Nelson was injured, Lee missed that shot, Carter was old, Arenas is done, Smith traded away his only solid backup, Jason Richardson sucks, and Turkoglu is...well, Hedo Turkoglu.

Kyle Orton
04-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Or that Nelson gets shat on by Rondo/leaves Fisher open at the worst times possible :lol

hitmanyr2k
04-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Or that Nelson gets shat on by Rondo/leaves Fisher open at the worst times possible :lol

Nelson doesn't get the blame for that Game 4 loss against the Lakers. Right before Fisher's miracle three guess who clanked two free throws that could have sealed the game? Howard just had to make one and it would have been a tie series.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Nelson doesn't get the blame for that Game 4 loss against the Lakers. Right before Fisher's miracle three guess who clanked two free throws that could have sealed the game? Howard just had to make one and it would have been a tie series.

Or, that Lee kid could a made a monkey's ass outta Kobe, but, he couldn't stand the strain.

Keyser soze
04-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Rose. Easily.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1fd5pc.gif

cheguevara
04-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Dwight is as dumb as a bag of bricks. He can not lead a team to a championship. He like Kobe before him, will have to join forces with a true leader in order to win anything.

Keyser soze
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
Dwight is as dumb as a bag of bricks. He can not lead a team to a championship. He like Kobe before him, will have to join forces with a true leader in order to win anything.

There are like 123456789 good-to-great point guards in the NBA right now. How many good-to-great centers are there?

The answer is Dwight Howard and it's a no-brainer

cheguevara
04-11-2011, 01:27 PM
There are like 123456789 good-to-great point guards in the NBA right now. How many good-to-great centers are there?

The answer is Dwight Howard and it's a no-brainer

"good to great point guards"??

please name 1 PG besides Deron and CP3 that are as good or better than Rose?

endrity
04-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Howard, easy!

If anything, it's a wonder how such a poorly built team is going to be break the 50 win barrier again.

Technique
04-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Dwight Howard. With Derrick Rose you'll have guys like Matt Bonner as your center who will make guys like Andrew Bynum look like superstars

Kyle Orton
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM

Name 1 C who's even comparable to Dwight.

Juanobili
04-11-2011, 01:56 PM
D. Rose is about to be the youngest MVP and in a team favorite to win it all. No, Dwight won't develop a consistent jumper... it's been taking him years.

cheguevara
04-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Name 1 C who's even comparable to Dwight.

I never denied Dwight is the best center in the league today. Still, doesn't mean he is not a dummy who never will lead his team anywhere. Shit, Orlando didn't lose much of a step vs. Bulls without Dwight.

Not to mention Dwight is offensively useless the last 5 minutes of a close game.

TD, Shaq, Garnett in their primes >>>>>>> Dwight

Greg Oden
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
hopefully you can find a kicker than can nail it thru moving goalposts.

lol chegbeaner

cheguevara
04-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Last nite:
- Rose: 39 points in a clutch win
- Dwight: 0 points, DNP due to too many bonehead technical fouls

That says it all :lol

ffadicted
04-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Rose, Howard has so many flaws, and people need to realize the NBA has changed, it's not just blindly big man first anymore

Keyser soze
04-11-2011, 04:06 PM

Your question is irrelevant. Deron, CP3, and Rose happen to be the elite of the elite but this has no bearing on my point of emphasis. My point is that there are a plethora of quality point guards in the NBA and a dearth of quality centers. Dwight Howard is inherently more valuable than Rose.

Again here are about 10 "good-to-great" point guards, just off the top of my head (By "good-to-great", I mean at least GOOD, with a few being truly great/elite):

Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Derrick Rose
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
Chauncey Billups
Jason Kidd
Ty Lawson
Raymond Felton

Now, give me a similar list of quality centers and we'll talk. Good point guards are a dime a dozen in today's NBA . . . good centers are a little harder to come by.

pauls931
04-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I'd go with Howard, it's hard to find really good bigs. In fact right now it's mostly just a bunch of crappy stiffs, then Howard and perhaps Gasoft.

hater
04-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Rose, Howard has so many flaws, and people need to realize the NBA has changed, it's not just blindly big man first anymore

Kyle Orton
04-11-2011, 04:11 PM

What hasn't changed is that teams built around PGs never finish the job in the playoffs.

Keyser soze
04-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Yes, but the NBA has changed in a way that makes centers MORE valuable than they were in the past, not less. People, this is just fundamental economics. When there is a shortage of product (A) and an excess of product (B), product (A) becomes intrinsically more valuable and product (B) intrinsically less valuable.

endrity
04-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Yes, but the NBA has changed in a way that makes centers MORE valuable than they were in the past, not less. People, this is just fundamental economics. When there is a shortage of product (A) and an excess of product (B), product (A) becomes intrinsically more valuable and product (B) intrinsically less valuable.

Add to that the fact that perimeter defense is so much more difficult now due to hand-checking rules, and a big man that plays defense is more valuable now than in the past.

Great argument.

Killakobe81
04-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Not only do you choose the big unless the guard is MJ or Kobe in their prime ...(and it's not Wilt or Kareem as the big)

But as much as I love rose's game i forsee (hope I am wrong) some wade type injuries and falls ...hopefully he proces as resilient as Wade both are from the tougher side of Chicago ...

the only young (relatively) player I consider taking over Dwight is Lebron ...

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I don't think people understand Howard's impact, tbh..Orlando has been a top 5 D for years, with rotation players such as Gilbert Arenas, Jameer Nelson, Vince Carter, Hedo Turkoglu, Rashard Lewis, etc..these are some of the worst defenders in the NBA, and they are Howard's supporting cast..

His post-game is much improved, his jump shot is much improved..Howard is shooting 40% from 10-15 feet this year, by far the highest % of his career..he has improved every year, he will continue to improve, I can only imagine him playing next to a legit playmaker..

Capt. Obvious
04-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Not only do you choose the big unless the guard is MJ or Kobe in their prime ...(and it's not Wilt or Kareem as the big)

But as much as I love rose's game i forsee (hope I am wrong) some wade type injuries and falls ...hopefully he proces as resilient as Wade both are from the tougher side of Chicago ...

the only young (relatively) player I consider taking over Dwight is Lebron ...
Even if we could know for sure that Rose wouldn't end up with an injury history like Wade as his career unfolded, I still think you have to go with Howard. As others have pointed out, even if you consider Rose to be the best PG in the league right now, the rules make it far easier for a team to get a PG who can be somewhat comparable to Rose. It's nearly impossible to find someone like Dwight even if he can't shoot FTs and is prone to dumb fouls/disappearing offensively at times in big games.

hater
04-11-2011, 09:54 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

your post just became irrelevant with your 'or Kobe'

ChrisRichards
04-11-2011, 10:01 PM
:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin:rollin: rollin@ Kobe

Killakobe81
04-11-2011, 10:25 PM
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

your post just became irrelevant with your 'or Kobe'

if you dont take Lebron, Kobe or Mj in their prime over Howard you the one that lacks basketball sense. I would take Magic over him too. In TODAY's NBA I would only take Lebron.
As good as he if you take howard at this point you're none too bright and the one who should be laughed at.

Kobe is a lock as an all time top 10 and maybe top 5 ...Howard is a poor man's shaq ...though I love his work ethic, motor and dedication over shaq's ...heck I would take a prime duncan over howard right now. Will Dwight be better when it is all over? Maybe, but doubtful. So if I think prime Kobe is better than Tim (though it's close) why would I not take Kobe over howard? Some of yall are dense. Howard is by far the best center so much so that some people think oft injured baby drew is #2.He is great but he has no competition at his position. As Harlem said howard has improved greatly and in ways shaq never did and deserves much props. He is already a better defender. But he is till not as dominant as shaq and I still wouldnt take him over a prime Kobe.

unlike some of yall ...i dont stick to that big over small in every debate. I take magic over Kareem (thank God we had both), Mj over Hakeem and Kobe over Shaq/Duncan. I maybe wrong but when the wing player is THAT good you can still win titles. Lebron will win his soon enough ...and prove the same. Sure you need some size but the last few titlles have been won by a limited offensively Perk, and injured Drew, and a pigeon chested Pau playing center. Pierce and Kobe (with nig help from KG and Pau) led the last 3 title teams. Not dominant centers ..