PDA

View Full Version : Is Tiago Splitter the greatest thing since sliced bread?

ElNono
04-09-2011, 11:52 PM
I think it could be argued. I'm personally a very big fan of sliced bread, especially the Semolina variety. It will never be 7ft, it won't block shots, but when paired with butter it's a killer combination.

On the other hand, Splitter has his own thing going for him. Granted, just a rook in the NBA, he already has shown he's a savvy defender, drawing charges with the best of them, and blocking the occasional shot. His offensive game definitely needs work. Sometimes it looks like his hands have been paired with butter, but I digress. You can tell he's a guy that can learn that aspect of the game, especially having a guy like TD as a teacher and mentor.

Now that we're past the introductions, here's the contenders:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uegoEwsdXRQ/SvXfKOjTacI/AAAAAAAAGZI/iXvFaIDvkj4/s320/altamura+062.jpg VS http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2010/10/Tiago-mugger-306x311.jpg

Who's best?

howbouthemspurs
04-10-2011, 12:03 AM
I like sliced bread

Juanobili
04-10-2011, 12:04 AM
very much looking forward to Tiago's future

DMC
04-10-2011, 12:09 AM
Bread is hard to beat. Even Splitter will chose bread eventually, if locked in a cell and not fed for days. (don't ask me how I know this)

mingus
04-10-2011, 12:10 AM
Tiago "Dude Face" Splitter

4>0rings
04-10-2011, 12:13 AM
We all know Bonner choses bread.

gospursgojas
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
If you leave bread sitting with no activity for just a few days, it becomes stale, and only good for the birds. Stiffler can sit with no activity for weeks and come in and still be great for something...

gonna go with splitter

Chomag
04-10-2011, 12:14 AM
If only he could shoot the 3's then he would be better then sliced bread.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Tiago "Dude Face" Splitter

:lol

crc21209
04-10-2011, 12:55 AM
I'll say neither, and go with Matt Bonner.....:lmao JK!

Blackjack
04-10-2011, 12:59 AM
Tiago Splitter is the greatest thing that's ever happened to sliced bread.

admiralsnackbar
04-10-2011, 01:43 AM
Tiago Splitter is Wonder Bread.

G-Dawgg
04-10-2011, 01:43 AM
He plays like an inanimate lump of soft white bread...

G-Dawgg
04-10-2011, 01:48 AM
Oh, btw I guess that makes Bonner "Gingerbread"

Sec24Row7
04-10-2011, 01:52 AM
Tim Duncan came after sliced bread.

Tim Duncan > Tiago Splitter

No.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Tim Duncan came after sliced bread.

Tim Duncan > Tiago Splitter

No.

^^ well yeah thats established already, we dont even have to say it.

im just glad tiago's showing ppl that they were dead wrong about his potential, and have no idea what hes capable of...im telling some of you doubters this, tiago is a very intelligent guy, who learns very very fast. if you still think he's an oberto type of player your just dumb and will soon see that this guy is more like manu than you think.

im not saying hes duncan all over (no one will) but what i am saying is tiago has a very good chance at becoming better than he himself ever imagined...the reason i say this is because he has watched/shaped his game around timmy's And not if,... but when.. tim duncan teaches splitter "the duncan fundamentals"/footwork/ tips /possibly everything he knows, i think the sky is the limit. tiago if you havent read has been through some crazy stuff and fought through alot and thats why i think this guy is way stronger than ppl think.

Holden_Caulfield
04-10-2011, 02:16 AM
hes as good as peanut butter and jelly. combined.

awktalk
04-10-2011, 02:18 AM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/akelch/splittertoast.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~jmengel4/bread/bread_jesus.jpg

rayray2k8
04-10-2011, 02:47 AM
http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/akelch/splittertoast.jpg
http://home.insightbb.com/~jmengel4/bread/bread_jesus.jpg

:lmao

FuzzyLumpkins
04-10-2011, 04:10 AM
Splitter's post moves are getting him good looks and drawing tons of fouls in the NBA game. He can shoot with both hands.

He can drive the lane, passes well and finds the soft spots in the defense.

I know everyone loves how he rolls to the basket but i would like to see him stick with his screens better. Part of the reason hes not getting the ball is because hes not keeping the defender off the ball handler. There are just no passing lanes.

One thing i will say though. If he ever develops a jumper then watch out.

On defense I love him. After watching no contests at the rim with the midget and a donkey pairing of Bonner and Blair, Splitter's prescence is a breath of fresh air.

There has not been another shot blocker with that presence to pair with Duncan since Robinson. Elson, Mohammed, Nesterovic, Horry et al do not intimidate slashers coming into the paint like he does.

Hes also playing a lot stronger lately. I mean that literally. There is little doubt in my mind that over the last several months he has strengthened his core significantly. He doesn't flail around when getting or keeping position like he was back in January.

Like Sean says in the telecasts, he is definitely becoming more comfortable.

He needs to take Blair's spot in the rotation. He is rebounding just as well as Blair, he is MUCH better on interior and pick and roll defense and his moves in the post and on pick and rolls are much more successful.

I hate to say it but Blair has somewhat taken a step back this year. I do not get a whiff of that 20/20 guy anymore.

I know everyone bags on Bonner but we all know that Pop is in love with the long range 4. He is going to get minutes.

Free Tiago.

L.I.T
04-10-2011, 05:58 AM
Splitter will get better with time. Sliced bread does not.

Splitter >> Sliced bread.

Fireball
04-10-2011, 06:26 AM
My diet does not allow bread ... sliced or not ... so free Tiago and give him 20 minutes in the playoffs

Spursmania
04-10-2011, 09:09 AM
I'll take Splitter over split top bread please.

GrandeDavid
04-10-2011, 09:45 AM
I was at the game last night and thoroughly enjoyed that 4th quarter, especially when Splitter drew charges on like three straight obsessions. He even looked great on offense. Fantastic effort by Tiago and me and two Brazilians enjoyed rallying him on late. We were 12th row so maybe he heard us. Lol

Flex9050
04-10-2011, 10:00 AM
I'm curious... what was the greatest thing BEFORE sliced bread? Just wondering....

SenorSpur
04-10-2011, 10:06 AM
It goes without saying that Tiago was terrific versus the Jazz. Obviously, Pop seems to really like, applaud and appreciate his effort. See his comments below:

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/09/spurs-rookie-splitter-gets-down-and-dirty/

“Tiago just has that blue-collar steelworker sort of attitude,” Popovich said. “It’s like he’s right out of the steel mill, been working in there all his life and knows what it’s like to work. He’s unbelievable.”

With all that said, it's still mind-boggling as to why Tiago doesn't get consistent minutes in this rotation?

CGD
04-10-2011, 10:45 AM
I hate to say it but Blair has somewhat taken a step back this year. I do not get a whiff of that 20/20 guy anymore.

20/20 guy?

I think Blair has performed very well this year and has met, if not exceeded, his coach's expectations. Don't confuse fewer points/rebounds in recents weeks with the fact that he's coming off the bench and not playing with the starting unit anymore. He's going to continue to be the energy guy off the bench for us, which is exactly what this team needs.

Xolotl
04-10-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm curious... what was the greatest thing BEFORE sliced bread? Just wondering....

The wheel...and before that it was fire

Whisky Dog
04-10-2011, 11:27 AM

The bread knife.

Interrohater
04-10-2011, 11:45 AM
The bread knife.
/thread

Libri
04-10-2011, 11:48 AM

toilet paper

Spurs and Mavs fan
04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
I've never figured out what was so great about sliced bread.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
I've never figured out what was so great about sliced bread.

Try making a sandwich without it.

jag
04-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Splitter's post moves are getting him good looks and drawing tons of fouls in the NBA game. He can shoot with both hands.

He can drive the lane, passes well and finds the soft spots in the defense.

I know everyone loves how he rolls to the basket but i would like to see him stick with his screens better. Part of the reason hes not getting the ball is because hes not keeping the defender off the ball handler. There are just no passing lanes.

One thing i will say though. If he ever develops a jumper then watch out.

On defense I love him. After watching no contests at the rim with the midget and a donkey pairing of Bonner and Blair, Splitter's prescence is a breath of fresh air.

There has not been another shot blocker with that presence to pair with Duncan since Robinson. Elson, Mohammed, Nesterovic, Horry et al do not intimidate slashers coming into the paint like he does.

Hes also playing a lot stronger lately. I mean that literally. There is little doubt in my mind that over the last several months he has strengthened his core significantly. He doesn't flail around when getting or keeping position like he was back in January.

Like Sean says in the telecasts, he is definitely becoming more comfortable.

He needs to take Blair's spot in the rotation. He is rebounding just as well as Blair, he is MUCH better on interior and pick and roll defense and his moves in the post and on pick and rolls are much more successful.

I know everyone bags on Bonner but we all know that Pop is in love with the long range 4. He is going to get minutes.

Free Tiago.

Great post. :toast

I spent the entire time reading that fighting back tears of joy.

Spursnlego
04-10-2011, 06:12 PM
He would be great, just needs to work on his free throws...
So Sliced bread it is...:lol

MI21
04-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Unfair comparison.

Sliced bread has had the chance to prove itself and is in the rotation of most household pantries.

Splitter hasn't been afforded that opportunity as yet and remains stuck on the shelf.

itsamanuthree
04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Funny thread!

If Splitter is better than sliced bread, then Bonner is worse than...

awktalk
04-10-2011, 09:52 PM
Funny thread!

If Splitter is better than sliced bread, then Bonner is worse than...

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz212/akelch/bonnercrap.jpg

itsamanuthree
04-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Man, that's fucking nasty

Sean Cagney
04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
NOPE! He is the best thing since BEER!!!!!!

pjjrfan
04-10-2011, 10:41 PM
a hundred years from now Tiago will be forgotten, sliced bread will be here for a thousand years.

Mugen
04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Bonner's eaten both up this year.

SPURSCHAMP
04-10-2011, 10:45 PM
the question's never been about splitters 'potential'

just that he's not ready to start in the NBA for the Spurs this year

he had a good quarter and a half last night when the spurs were already beating up on the depleted jazz, and i hope he puts up 40 pts 25 rebounds for the rest of his career

but splitter's not better than bonner, mcdyess or blair. right now. at basketball.

sorry senores
:rollin maybe not mcdyess cuz he got experience but Blair and Bonner? Rly?

Yorae
04-10-2011, 11:19 PM
I just hate his last name and it's correlation to his free throws...

FuzzyLumpkins
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
:lol @ shitbeard.