PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Sidney Lumet (1924 - 2011)

Capt Bringdown
04-10-2011, 01:59 AM
As a tribute to a great storyteller, name your favorite Sidney Lumet movie.
Refresh your memory of his achievements @ his IMDB profile (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001486/)

http://seanconneryonline.com/offence_cover.jpg
The Offence - 1972 (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070468/)

One of Lumet's lesser-known films that deserves wider recognition IMO. Without doubt the best Sean Connery performance I've ever seen. The narrative/scene structure, cinematography, acting and writing is ahead of it's time I suppose - The Offense could have been hatched from today's indie circuit.

I really like this film's ambiguity, so I don't think it helps to get into the plot here. It's safe to say if you enjoy gritty police psychological dramas, you should try and see Sidney Lumet's The Offence.

Slomo
04-10-2011, 03:28 AM
Without going to the imdb profile the first one that pops to mind: 12 angry men.

And I'm sure there's a ton I don't even know are his - so I'll definitely check imdb.

CuckingFunt
04-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Tremendous body of work, but Network and Dog Day Afternoon stand out for me.

mrsmaalox
04-10-2011, 01:43 PM
My favorite Lumet films:
12 Angry Men, The Group, A Stranger Among Us, Serpico, The Verdict, Running On Empty, Garbo Talks*fave

I like that he made me enjoy the performances of actors I usually avoid ie Henry Fonda, Melanie Griffith. I think it should be noted that he directed The Wiz, a bit of a departure because it is a musical, but typical for him, because it is an adaptation from the stage. My most disliked Lumet film is the remake of Gloria; John Cassavetes' version was perfect, I don't know why it required redoing less than 20 years later.

silverblk mystix
04-10-2011, 04:54 PM
12 Angry Men was a masterpiece IMO..a masterpiece in that it had no action, no pulse-quickening scenes, no pyrotechnics, special effects,etc...

Just an absorbing story, good to great acting, and it worked...it just made you want to see how on earth this suspect wasn't guilty when EVERYTHING appeared to make him look guilty...

Dog Day Afternoon was very good...early Elton John music on the soundtrack was a bonus...Pacino was still in his prime...

Serpico was a good cop movie for its time.

RIP

ShoogarBear
04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Among films not mentioned so far: check out Fail-Safe if you haven't seen it already.

ohmwrecker
04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Family Business is pretty underrated.

Slomo
04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Among films not mentioned so far: check out Fail-Safe if you haven't seen it already.

See that's a good example of a movie I like a lot and didn't even know/had forgotten it was one of his.

:tu

AussieFanKurt
04-11-2011, 06:48 AM
Only watch Before the Devil knows your dead the other day, quality flick too

Viva Las Espuelas
04-11-2011, 11:09 PM
I guess he eased on down the road............................

DeadlyDynasty
04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
RIP, props to one of the greats.