PDA

View Full Version : Harvard's entrance exam from 1869...

ElNono
04-10-2011, 11:30 PM
"The New York Times remembers back to when 'college was a buyer's bazaar (http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/remembering-when-college-was-a-buyers-bazaar/)' and digs up 19th-century classified ads from Columbia, Harvard, Yale, and others. In competitive efforts to attract students from the limited pool of qualified candidates, applications were taken as late as September for an October freshman class. Vassar offered lush room accommodations. The expectations were high: Latin, Greek, Virgil, Caesar's Commentaries; Harvard's entrance exam from 1869 is posted (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/education/harvardexam.pdf) (PDF). Could any of us pass the exam today?"

TE
04-11-2011, 03:23 AM
Holy shit, Greek Composition, Greek Grammar, Latin Grammar, and Latin translations?

:lol

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 03:28 AM
Eh, there's a reason not many of us write in Latin now. It's great to understand origins of words, and word backbones, but back then it was a sign that you were erudite.

The math section is still relevant, obviously.

mouse
04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
I can see the teachers pay hasn't changed any.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
How about the math...

The 5th root question. I know how to calculate square roots longhand, but never learned 3rd roots plus.

DarkReign
04-11-2011, 11:52 AM
I can see the teachers pay hasn't changed any.

At Harvard?

Really?

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
How about the math...

The 5th root question. I know how to calculate square roots longhand, but never learned 3rd roots plus.

I'd just start guessing at that point. "Let's try .5 times .5 times .5, and see what that gives us... ok, how about .3 cubed..." :lol

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd just start guessing at that point. "Let's try .5 times .5 times .5, and see what that gives us... ok, how about .3 cubed..." :lol
There are ways of doing it that are not trial and error. I just never learned you to solve that one without trial and error.

I can do square roots though!

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 12:26 PM
There are ways of doing it that are not trial and error. I just never learned you to solve that one without trial and error.

I can do square roots though!

Yeah, neither have I. Whenever I get stuck on a math problem, I try the "educated guess" method. :lol

RandomGuy
04-11-2011, 12:35 PM
"The New York Times remembers back to when 'college was a buyer's bazaar (http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/31/remembering-when-college-was-a-buyers-bazaar/)' and digs up 19th-century classified ads from Columbia, Harvard, Yale, and others. In competitive efforts to attract students from the limited pool of qualified candidates, applications were taken as late as September for an October freshman class. Vassar offered lush room accommodations. The expectations were high: Latin, Greek, Virgil, Caesar's Commentaries; Harvard's entrance exam from 1869 is posted (http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/education/harvardexam.pdf) (PDF). Could any of us pass the exam today?"

"A man bought a watch, a chain, and a locket that together cost $216.
The watch and locket together cost three times as much as the chain, and the chain and locket together cost half as much as the watch. What was the price of each?"

RandomGuy
04-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Took me a lot of scribbling, but I got it. whoot.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by question 7 from the algebra section

"A man bought a watch, a chain, and a locket that together cost $216.
The watch and locket together cost three times as much as the chain, and the chain and locket together cost half as much as the watch. What was the price of each?"
If you want someone to solve that simple problem, maybe you should put it in this thread:

48÷2(9+3) = ???? (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176506)

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 12:57 PM
That question 7 looks like it's going to be easy, but is it a bit of a pain.

elbamba
04-11-2011, 12:59 PM
I was looking for instructions to tell the test taker to read all the questions carefully, then return to the first page and begin the test. Then the last paragraph would say to write your name at the top and then submit the exam.

I was disappointed.

baseline bum
04-11-2011, 01:00 PM
How about the math...

The Newton-Raphson method applied to the polynomial f(x) = x^n - y can be used to find the nth root of y (assuming y > 0), and it converges very quickly. The algorithm from Heron of Alexandria for finding square roots is a special case of this method.

RandomGuy
04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
If you want someone to solve that simple problem, maybe you should put it in this thread:

48÷2(9+3) = ???? (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176506)

Erk.... missed that one. Spaced out the "left to right" rule.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:13 PM
The Newton-Raphson method applied to the polynomial f(x) = x^n - y can be used to find the nth root of y (assuming y > 0), and it converges very quickly. The algorithm from Heron of Alexandria for finding square roots is a special case of this method.
Thanx, I'll look that up.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:21 PM
That question 7 looks like it's going to be easy, but is it a bit of a pain.
oops...

When I wrote the equation, I originally solved for:

the chain and locket together cost twice as much as the watch.

not:

the chain and locket together cost half as much as the watch.

Changes the answer dramatically, except the chain. It remained the same price!

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 01:23 PM
For those curious about the number 7, answers/work below! (If I'm taking the time to answer it, I'm bragging. :p)

SPOILERS BELOW, HIGHLIGHT FOR ANSWER

The question gives three different equations.

a) (W+L) = 3C
b) 2(L+C) = W
c) W+C+L = 216

Since we know that 2(L+C) = W, we can insert that into the first equation. This gives us (2L + 2C + L) = 3C, which ultimately boils down to 3L=C.

Now that we know that 3L=C, we also know that W= 2(L+C) or W = 2(L+3L), or W=8L.

So C = 3L, and W=8L. Time to substitute those into equation C.

8L + 3L + L = 216. From this we get that L equals 18. And due to the info above, that means that C = 54, and W = 144. Doublechecking by plugging those numbers into the equations above, we see that it works. Voila!

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Hint...

Chain squared plus Watch squared equals Locket squared.

Yeah, just posted the answer. I was hoping I could guesstimate the answer quick, but I kept guessing wrong, so I actually had to do the work. :lol

baseline bum
04-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Thanx, I'll look that up.

It's a pretty interesting algorithm useful for finding roots of algebraic equations in many cases, but the one Heron of Alexandria came up with for square roots is essentially just smoothing out an oscillating signal by averaging.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, just posted the answer. I was hoping I could guesstimate the answer quick, but I kept guessing wrong, so I actually had to do the work. :lol
You caught that before I caught my mistake and removed it...

What I posted before editing is true with the "twice" rather than "half."

admiralsnackbar
04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
Believe it or not, the Ancient Greek part wasn't as scary as you'd think.

I only took 3 semesters of it in college (over 15 years ago) (fuck), getting mediocre to bad grades on the reg, and I was still able to get a fair amount of it with stuff I learned in 101.

I think LnGrrr's right, though: the exam was really just a formality that any kid of aristocratic breeding back then could have breezed through on a ripping laudanum high... or whatever shit they were into then.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:36 PM
It's a pretty interesting algorithm useful for finding roots of algebraic equations in many cases, but the one Heron of Alexandria came up with for square roots is essentially just smoothing out an oscillating signal by averaging.
Well, I was hoping for a straightforward method like there is for solving square roots, with no guessing.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Believe it or not, the Ancient Greek part wasn't as scary as you'd think.

I only took 3 semesters of it in college (over 15 years ago) (fuck), getting mediocre to bad grades on the reg, and I was still able to get a fair amount of it with stuff I learned in 101.

I think LnGrrr's right, though: the exam was really just a formality that any kid of aristocratic breeding back then could have breezed through on a ripping laudanum high... or whatever shit they were into then.
I wish I took Greek as a language. Sure would like to read revelations in the original tongue.

admiralsnackbar
04-11-2011, 01:43 PM
I wish I took Greek as a language. Sure would like to read revelations in the original tongue.

Gotta learn Aramaic for that.

Bitch is, there isn't all that much else to read in Aramaic but the NT. There's dead languages and then there's dead languages.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 01:57 PM
Gotta learn Aramaic for that.

Bitch is, there isn't all that much else to read in Aramaic but the NT. There's dead languages and then there's dead languages.
I thought the NT was mostly Greek. Now the OT is Hebrew and Chaldean.

Are you sure?

admiralsnackbar
04-11-2011, 02:25 PM
I thought the NT was mostly Greek. Now the OT is Hebrew and Chaldean.

Are you sure?

If you're talking about what it was actually written in? Pretty sure it was Aramaic. It went platinum in Greek, though.

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 03:04 PM
If you're talking about what it was actually written in? Pretty sure it was Aramaic. It went platinum in Greek, though.

:lol :tu

Agloco
04-11-2011, 03:09 PM

English damnit, English!!

:lol:lol

I. Hustle
04-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Albany at 5:00pm with one dollar three buckles and half a quarter in his pocket

FuzzyLumpkins
04-11-2011, 03:56 PM
How about the math...

I know. Factoring is hard when you are a parts changer that cannot even interpret the rationale behind a troubleshooting checklist.

At least you memorized them.

ElNono
04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
I could probably tackle some of the math, the problem is that I'm not sure you would be allowed to use algorithms that are newer than the exam... :lol

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 06:59 PM
From the little I looked up, I think you're right. There doesn't seem to be clear consensus on it, but the Aramaic does make more sense.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 07:00 PM
English damnit, English!!

:lol:lol
Damn English is something you put on a que ball.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Albany at 5:00pm with one dollar three buckles and half a quarter in his pocket

I doubt very many people today know what a bit is.

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 07:02 PM
I could probably tackle some of the math, the problem is that I'm not sure you would be allowed to use algorithms that are newer than the exam... :lol
Or calculators.

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 07:04 PM
I doubt very many people today know what a bit is.

It's a unit of data. *rimshot*

Wild Cobra
04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
It's a unit of data. *rimshot*
LOL.

It's also a fraction of a dollar.

Do you know what fraction it is without looking it up?

Hear the term "two bits worth?" Maybe you think it's a half of a nibble?

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 08:27 PM
LOL.

It's also a fraction of a dollar.

Do you know what fraction it is without looking it up?

Hear the term "two bits worth?" Maybe you think it's a half of a nibble?

:lol Nope, that's past my time. But I do know the term "Shave and a haircut, two bits." So... 20 cents?

DarrinS
04-11-2011, 08:46 PM
Took two semesters of Latin in HS. Wanted to take Spanish, but the classes were filled with Spanish-speaking students that really wanted to challenge themselves. Same thing happened in college, but I had to take two semesters of Russian.

Как долго вы живете в Техасе?

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 08:51 PM
Took two semesters of Latin in HS. Wanted to take Spanish, but the classes were filled with Spanish-speaking students that really wanted to challenge themselves. Same thing happened in college, but I had to take two semesters of Russian.

Как долго вы живете в Техасе?

Ya gavrayu chouchoute parusski.

ElNono
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM
синица в руках лучше, чем два в Буша

ElNono
04-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Google translate FTW, btw :lol

LnGrrrR
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Google translate FTW, btw :lol

Will Google translate the word "Suca" for you? :) How about "Suca sabaca"? :lol

DarrinS
04-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Ya gavrayu chouchoute parusski.

Vwe gavrahuchi ochen ploho.

LnGrrrR
04-12-2011, 12:07 AM
Vwe gavrahuchi ochen ploho.

:lol Ya znayu.

Then again, the little I know was picked up from working with TCNs on a deployment... So my first words were all swear words.

Wild Cobra
04-12-2011, 05:03 AM
:lol Nope, that's past my time. But I do know the term "Shave and a haircut, two bits." So... 20 cents?
Two bits is a quarter.