PDA

View Full Version : Wade ‘definitely’ to play Game 7, father says

alamo50
06-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Heat star is trying to recover from strained rib muscle

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/ap/dtp111306050157.vlarge.jpg
Dwyane Wade looks from the sidelines during Game 6 of the Eastern finals on Saturday.

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:38 a.m. ET June 6, 2005

MIAMI - The father of Miami Heat guard Dwyane Wade said his injured son will play in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, according to a published report.

“Even if he’s only 30 percent, he will contribute,” Dwyane Wade Sr. told The Palm Beach Post for its Monday editions. “My word on it. He will play.”

Wade missed Game 6 of the series on Saturday night because of a strained rib muscle suffered in Miami’s Game 5 victory. Without their leading scorer, the Heat lost Game 6 to the Pistons, 91-66 — the lowest scoring total in franchise history.

Wade tried to warm up before that game, but team medical personnel ruled him out for the contest. The injury not only causes sharp pain in Wade’s side, but limits his lateral mobility.

He received treatment from trainers on Sunday, team officials said. The Heat has listed Wade as a game-time decision for Monday’s contest.

“He definitely will be in Game 7,” Wade Sr. told the newspaper. “I’m positive. That’s my son. Shouldn’t I know?”

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Bye, bye Pistons.

sa_butta
06-06-2005, 11:48 AM
"Thanks Dad, If we win will you take us for ice cream?"
Dwayne Wade

ducks
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
he needs a shot so he has no pain

easjer
06-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I sort of guessed he would. I figured that they kept him out so that he would not aggravate anything and he'd be ready for game 7. It seemed likely the Pistons would take Game 6, so might as well sit him. And let it be a mystery whether or not he'll play (as if he wouldn't).

Although my fiance had a similar injury acquired a similar way about this time last year (give or take a couple of months) and he was in pain. He could barely move his arm for about three days because of that strained muscle, so if that's the case, I feel for him.

tlongII
06-06-2005, 12:06 PM
That is a weird injury. I had never heard of it before Shaq had it a couple of years ago. I never had it and nobody I knew had it when I played. Of course that was many moons ago...

SWC Bonfire
06-06-2005, 12:12 PM
he needs a shot so he has no pain

I'm sure he'll get one, but this injury has got to suck for a basketball player.

I would imagine that the restrictions to movement would be similar to a QB getting a shot to the ribs, and it makes it really tough to throw the ball as a football player (twisting, overhand motion).

But so much is done in BB with your hands over your head - shooting, rebounding, defending, etc. Also, Wade contorts a lot, it's part of his game. He may hurt his team by being in there and shooting, so he'll probably try to get some assists to his teammates.

Kori Ellis
06-06-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm sure he'll get one, but this injury has got to suck for a basketball player.

Don't be sure that he'll get one.

He has refused pain killers for injuries all season.

mavsfan1000
06-06-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm glad his father answered for him since Wade can't answer about his injury.

Xolotl
06-06-2005, 02:09 PM
Yeah but is anyone truly suprised. I mean cmon it's game 7 to go to the Championship. Willis Reed came out on 1 leg.....or was that during the championship? Hell I dont know I missed it on ESPN classic

SWC Bonfire
06-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Don't be sure that he'll get one.

He has refused pain killers for injuries all season.

I would imagine if it was bad enough to miss game 6, he's going to need something to distract him from the pain, or not play at all.

Xolotl
06-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I would imagine if it was bad enough to miss game 6, he's going to need something to distract him from the pain, or not play at all.

I read that he couldn't even breathe without feeling it. If the pain was that bad, there is no way he could play without the help of pain killers. Unless the guy is just a glutton for pain.

ALVAREZ6
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Good.

I want Miami to win, I think we have better chances against the Heat.

What do you guys think?

Kori Ellis
06-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Heat's Dwayne Wade Expected to Play Game 7
Monday, June 6, 2005 1:07 PM EDT
The Associated Press
By TIM REYNOLDS

Dwyane Wade should be ready to play in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals.

Wade missed Saturday's sixth game of the series against the Detroit Pistons because of a strained right rib muscle but participated in Monday's walkthrough with the Miami Heat _ a strong indicator that the star guard will be on the floor in the winner-take-all game for a spot in the NBA Finals.

"I'd be shocked if he didn't give it a shot tonight, and then we'll just have to see what happens," Heat coach Stan Van Gundy said Monday. "It's Game 7 and he's a great competitor."

Said Heat guard Damon Jones: "He's ready to go."

Injury problems are commonplace these days for Miami, which has all five of its starters battling some sort of painful malady. Wade sustained the muscle strain in the Heat's Game 5 win, and has received multiple treatments in an effort to alleviate some of his discomfort.

Van Gundy, however, doesn't want to use injuries as any sort of excuse.

"It's Game 7. The heck with all of that," Van Gundy said. "You're out there, you've got to play and you've got to play well. There's no excuses that anybody cares about at this point, nor should they care about. It's two teams playing for a chance to go to the NBA Finals. That's all that matters."

Wade missed five regular-season games, four because of injury, and Miami went 3-2 in those contests. He's been the Heat's leading scorer this postseason, with averages of 28 points, 6.8 assists and 6.1 rebounds.

"If we lose, we go home. He's going to give it everything he's got," Miami forward Udonis Haslem said.

Preparation-wise, Detroit is drawing upon its experience from Game 1 _ when there was some speculation that Shaquille O'Neal wouldn't be able to play because of the bruised right thigh that has dogged him for nearly two months. O'Neal played, and the Pistons won anyway, taking the opener 90-81.

Pistons guard Richard Hamilton said his team is prepping to see Wade, and they'll try to attack him.

"You've got to make him work on both ends of the floor," Hamilton said. "If he handles the ball, you've got to pressure him. If he's guarding whoever, you've got to see how healthy he is."

And while the Pistons would clearly glean an advantage from Wade not being in the lineup, they also hope the series isn't decided by an injury.

"I hope he can play," Detroit coach Larry Brown said. "I hope he's healthy enough, because he's been such a big part of their team. He's had such a phenomenal year and you don't want to see anybody short-handed in meaningful games like this."