PDA

View Full Version : 2-4 at play in the West

endrity
04-11-2011, 06:51 AM
With OKC winning last night, it has opened up a lot of scenarios for the 2-4 seeds in the West.

Currently they stand like this:
Lakers 55-25
Mavs 55-25
Zombie Sonics 54-26

with the Lakers having a tiebraker advantage over both Mavs and OKC. OKC has the tie-braker against the Mavs regardless of the season series because they are division winners.

The next two games for each team are:

Lakers: Spurs, @Kings in back-to-back
Dallas: @Rockets, Hornets
OKC: @Kings, Bucks

If Lakers win out, they are the second seed. If Mavs win out they are at least third, second if the Lakers lose at least one. OKC can rise up to second if LA loses both and Dallas loses at least one.

So how do you all see this playing out? Should teams try to strategize about this? I think they can all win their games and the standings would be unchanged.

However, if I am the Mavs I think long and hard about dropping to 4th. Memphis is probably going to end up with the 6th seed anyway, and they are a tough matchup for anyone. I'd rather the Mavs take their chances against the Nuggets, and have an easier path against SA for the conference finals. With or without homecourt we are not beating the Lakers. Our backcourt is way to small for the Lakers, covering Kobe throws our rotations into a complete disarray. That's what happens when you play 4 PGs in those spots. OKC has a chance, a slim one but they do. I'd rather try to take this route to the finals than meeting the Lakers in the second round.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 07:21 AM
Regardless, you're going to end up O & Forever.

endrity
04-11-2011, 08:30 AM

Great contribution!

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Dallas potentially controls the fate of the West..if they tank to 4th, they give OKC a shot to take out LA, as they have proven that they are the only West team that would be neck-neck vs. LA in a heads up matchup..

Hopefully the Mavs aren't too overconfident and go for 2nd, tbh..

endrity
04-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Dallas potentially controls the fate of the West..if they tank to 4th, they give OKC a shot to take out LA, as they have proven that they are the only West team that would be neck-neck vs. LA in a heads up matchup..

Hopefully the Mavs aren't too overconfident and go for 2nd, tbh..

If anything it would be underconfidence. I don't think the Spurs would be easy to beat either, but the current Mavs simply can't hang with the Lakers. Too many matchup issue.s

HarlemHeat37
04-11-2011, 09:16 AM
Exactly..personally, I think the Spurs would beat Dallas, but the Mavs obviously have a more realistic shot at beating SA than LA..OKC has no fear against LA, they have size up front, and they have athleticism, which is LA's kryptonite..

Spurs and Mavs can beat OKC, but neither matches up well with LA..Spurs don't have enough size, and Dallas doesn't have enough consistent scoring options..

Hopefully the Mavs recognize this..

stretch
04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Exactly..personally, I think the Spurs would beat Dallas, but the Mavs obviously have a more realistic shot at beating SA than LA..OKC has no fear against LA, they have size up front, and they have athleticism, which is LA's kryptonite..

Spurs and Mavs can beat OKC, but neither matches up well with LA..Spurs don't have enough size, and Dallas doesn't have enough consistent scoring options..

The Mavs focus isnt on keeping LA from winning another championship. Their focus is on winning their own championship, and for any team in the West that has hopes of pulling that off, will almost certainly have to beat LA.

To say that you are hoping the Mavs recognize that is pretty GNSFish, thinking that the fate of LA means more than the fate of your own team. Don't stoop to that level, sire.

Dex
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Going to make for a crazy close to the season. One week left, and nobody in the West really knows their opponent yet.

SourCandy
04-11-2011, 10:20 AM

:depressed

I'm hoping durrant and westbrook have a ball hoging face off :lol

ManuBalboa
04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
OKC with HCA over L.A. could have that 07 GS-Dallas arena atmosphere.

sribb43
04-11-2011, 11:04 AM
Having HC in the 2nd rd is great but not when your opponent is LA. Pull a page out of Pop's book and do yourself a favor Mavs and drop to #4. Sure Denver is deep but you have much better shot of advancing in the playoffs facing Denver/SA than Por/LA

Man In Black
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
having hc in the 2nd rd is great but not when your opponent is la. Pull a page out of pop's book and do yourself a favor mavs and drop to #4. Sure denver is deep but you have much better shot of advancing in the playoffs facing denver/sa than por/la
reality.

Mal
04-11-2011, 11:19 AM
dreaming

2. OKC
3. Lakers
4. Dallas

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:21 AM
dreaming

2. OKC
3. Lakers
4. Dallas

That'd be a living nightmare.

We have win tomorrow night and hope Dallas loses in Houston tonite. It's over then.

Fpoonsie
04-11-2011, 11:33 AM
The Mavs focus isnt on keeping LA from winning another championship. Their focus is on winning their own championship, and for any team in the West that has hopes of pulling that off, will almost certainly have to beat LA.

To say that you are hoping the Mavs recognize that is pretty GNSFish, thinking that the fate of LA means more than the fate of your own team. Don't stoop to that level, sire.

Disagree. As was the case in '07, and as much as I hate Terry, he was right. The Spurs were lucky they didn't hafta face DAL in those playoffs. Instead, they met up w/ an unfavorable matchup in GS, and the Warriors proceeded to do the Spurs dirty work FOR them.

This is another year where matchups will prolly play a crucial role in team success. And HH is right in how favorable OKC matches up w/ LA, in that they're one of the only teams that can boast a similarly lengthy frontline -- a frontline that can also jump outta tha fucking gym.

j.dizzle
04-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Its pretty obvious that Mavfan & Spurfan are scared to play the Lakeshow from what Ive read lately. They can lose 10 in a row but deep down inside you all know that you want no part of them & pray that OKC can somehow beat them in a 7 game series. :lol. Those tie breakers against Dallas, OKC & Boston are looking pretty damn good at the moment hahaha. They just gotta win the next 2 & this past week will be forgotten.

Fpoonsie
04-11-2011, 11:41 AM
[shrug] I see nothing wrong w/ admitting my team's shortcomings and another team's strengths. Fuck all that "gotta beat the best to BE the best" nonsense. I'd prefer the easiest road to the Finals instead...

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:49 AM
[shrug] I see nothing wrong w/ admitting my team's shortcomings and another team's strengths. Fuck all that "gotta beat the best to BE the best" nonsense. I'd prefer the easiest road to the Finals instead...

Warlord23
04-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Dallas has 2 relatively favorable outcomes in play here:
1. 2nd seed with HCA in round 2
2. 4th seed and avoiding LA as long as possible

Further, the Mavs are in good position to play this situation to their advantage:

1. They need to beat Houston first
2. If LA loses to SA, Dallas can beat NOLA in their final game to claim the #2 seed.
3. If LA wins, Dallas can lose to NOLA and hope that OKC wins out - then Dallas gets the #4 seed.

The assumption here is that OKC will go on to win their final 2 games (against the Kings and Bucks). If OKC loses one, then the Mavs may still end up trapped in the #3 spot.

endrity
04-11-2011, 01:31 PM
Dallas has 2 relatively favorable outcomes in play here:
1. 2nd seed with HCA in round 2
2. 4th seed and avoiding LA as long as possible

Further, the Mavs are in good position to play this situation to their advantage:

1. They need to beat Houston first
2. If LA loses to SA, Dallas can beat NOLA in their final game to claim the #2 seed.
3. If LA wins, Dallas can lose to NOLA and hope that OKC wins out - then Dallas gets the #4 seed.

The assumption here is that OKC will go on to win their final 2 games (against the Kings and Bucks). If OKC loses one, then the Mavs may still end up trapped in the #3 spot.

True, I was thinking about this myself. Dallas can really wait until the last game to decide if it wants to drop a place or not.

And yes, I agree with the previous posts. Matchups matter a lot, and I'd rather have a Den/SA route to the WCF. It's not going to be easy, but when your backcourt is Kidd and 3 midgets you know you have no chance against Kobe.

Otaku
04-11-2011, 02:41 PM
You all really think that the top 4 teams in the west will advance to the 2nd round? I have doubts and I'm pretty sure there will be surprises.

sribb43
04-11-2011, 02:45 PM
True, I was thinking about this myself. Dallas can really wait until the last game to decide if it wants to drop a place or not.

And yes, I agree with the previous posts. Matchups matter a lot, and I'd rather have a Den/SA route to the WCF. It's not going to be easy, but when your backcourt is Kidd and 3 midgets you know you have no chance against Kobe.

If mavs win tonight and LA beats SA tomorrow, they should tank against NO. LA probably beats SAC but mavs won't know that going into NO game. Best case scenario is OKC plays LA with HC and mavs go Den/SA route

cheguevara
04-11-2011, 02:47 PM

:lmao :lmao

DJ Mbenga
04-11-2011, 03:06 PM
sounds like san antonio and denver have nothing to play for. they arent in the fun of this chaos

endrity
04-11-2011, 05:08 PM
sounds like san antonio and denver have nothing to play for. they arent in the fun of this chaos

Actually SA does. They have to win out to be sure of HC throughout the playoffs. Apparently if both them and the Bulls finish with a 62-20 record, there will be a coin toss to decide who has homecourt in a possible final matchup. So yes, having Game 7 at home for the Finals is still something the Spurs would play for.

endrity
04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
If mavs win tonight and LA beats SA tomorrow, they should tank against NO. LA probably beats SAC but mavs won't know that going into NO game. Best case scenario is OKC plays LA with HC and mavs go Den/SA route

True, especially the part about OKC with HC.

Mugen
04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
i think the Thunder win out. Mavs tank to go 1-1 and LA wins the SA game and loses @ Sac.

2. Lakers
3. Thunder
4. Mavs

If the Mavs do decide to tank then I think they do it tonight on the road against the Rockets. Probably better for their psyche if they don't lose their last home game against the Hornets before the playoffs.

The Sac game is gonna be tough for the Lakers, since it's pretty much the last game ever in Sacramento and the Kings always seem to play LA tough. Big trap game for LA imho.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
Yeah, if have to win tomorrow night. The Sacramento game will be untenable.

Mavs must lose at Houston tonite.