PDA

View Full Version : LATimes.com: Lakers suddenly anxious after 120-106 loss to Thunder

CubanMustGo
04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/04/lakers-suddenly-anxious-after-120-106-loss-to-oklahoma-city-.html

Before he could see any of his teammates, Kobe Bryant immediately darted into the trainer's room. Bryant usually goes through this ritual at some point following a game, receiving extensive treatment and icing on his assorted injuries, most notably his surgically repaired right knee and arthritic right index finger. But not this soon. The Lakers' 120-106 loss Sunday to the Oklahoma City Thunder agitated him so much he wanted to avoid any contact with teammates.

Whether it's a deliberate message or a way to temper his emotions, the Lakers didn't exactly hear what the co-captain had to say about the team's season-high fifth consecutive loss or even his three turnovers in the final three minutes overshadowing his 31 points on 10-of-19 shooting, a statistic he attributed to Oklahoma City's defense. But it's a sign nonetheless that the Lakers' losses are more than just blips.

"I didn't want to redecorate the walls in here so I made the effort to go in the training room and keep to myself," Bryant said 62 minutes after the game ended and then responded sarcastically to whether he was mad. "No, not at all."

Bryant was uncertain on whether the Lakers can turn things around in the two remaining regular-season games -- Tuesday against San Antonio and Wednesday at Sacramento -- in time for the Lakers to be at their best once the playoffs start, offering a tepid, "I hope so." Lakers forward Pau Gasol suddenly called the last two games "must-win." And both Bryant and Lakers center Andrew Bynum argued they need a long practice Monday to expedite all the corrections they need to make.

The reason for the Lakers' increased unhappiness points to how their continual losing makes it more and more obvious they're setting themselves up for drastic home-court implications. A Lakers' victory and a Mavericks loss to Phoenix on Sunday would've secured a No. 2 seeding in the Western Conference. Instead, the opposite happened. The Lakers and Dallas Mavericks are tied at 55-25 for the second spot in the West, while the Thunder closed the gap to one game behind them. Though the Lakers hold both a tiebreaker over Dallas after locking up the Pacific Division and over Oklahoma City after finishing 2-1 in the regular-season series, that's not making the Lakers any more comfortable. Although Lakers Coach Phil Jackson told his team not to pay attention to the Eastern Conference teams because it promotes looking ahead to a possible NBA Finals matchup, it's hard not to notice the Miami Heat (56-25) have a one-game edge over the Lakers, while Boston (55-25) remains tied.

"We were complacent a little bit and we got caught," Jackson said, referring to the team's previous three losses against Utah, Golden State and Portland. "I told them yesterday I didn't think we could turn it around in one game."

Certainly not.

The Lakers allowed Oklahoma City to shoot 55.6% from the field, 47.1% from three-point range and outrebound them 38-34, areas the Lakers usually dominate considering the team's defensive scheme that funnels drivers into the team's frontline had largely spurred the Lakers' 17-1 effort following the All-Star break. Instead, the Lakers displayed a defense Bryant described as "horrible."

The Thunder went on a 17-2 run, including a possession that exemplified the Lakers' poor play: Ron Artest airballed a three-pointer, Bryant grabbed the rebound and then airballed another trey. They again had no answer for Russell Westbrook's speed (26 points, seven assists and six rebounds). Artest normally forces Thunder forward Kevin Durant into a poor shooting clip to get his points, but his 31 points came on 11-of-15 shooting. And even though Thunder center Kendrick Perkins scored only two points, his presence has sharpened Oklahoma City's toughness, particularly in the paint.

"We know we can win, but we need practice," Bynum said. "We're not a unit right now. There's a lot of individual things going right for certain guys, but as a unit collectively we're not there."

What's even more disconcerting, the Lakers actually tried this time. It featured Bryant and Gasol (26 points on 10-of-16 shooting) scoring at prolific rates, Steve Blake coming up with a rare solid shooting performance (nine points on three-of-three shooting) and Bryant refusing to back away from Perkins' headlock, which resulted in a technical foul for both. But the negatives, such as Gasol's four rebounds, Lamar Odom's sudden drop in productivity (seven points on three-of-nine shooting) and the blown fourth-quarter execution hard to watch.

To think, it was only last week that plenty centered on when the starters would begin resting, when "Khloe and Lamar" would debut on TV and whether the Lakers are suddenly invincible. Lakers guard and co-captain Derek Fisher reminded everyone that the Lakers went 6-7 in their final 13 regular-season games last season and were on the brink of elimination in a first-round series with the Sacramento Kings and the Western Conference Finals against the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2000 playoffs, only to finish with favorable results. It could very well be one of those times once again. But the Lakers have a lot of work to do with little room for error.

"This one is tough for us because we were playing so well," Fisher said. "This is coming at a really bad time for us in terms of how we finish the regular season, but we still have an opportunity to solidify our spot."

Ashy Larry
04-11-2011, 08:29 AM
17 and 1 came just a bit too early ......... hopefully they figure out something in these last two games because this shit is brutal

alchemist
04-11-2011, 08:48 AM
they'll curb stomp the Spurs this tuesday. you heard it here first folks. :(

Bill_Brasky
04-11-2011, 09:05 AM
It's been nice not having10+ threads a day started by lakers trolls. And I thought GNSF was bad about melting down...

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 09:11 AM
they'll curb stomp the Spurs this tuesday. you heard it here first folks. :(

Oh, of course they'll blow out the Spurs on Tuesday, but it will be a hollow victory against the Spurs' scrubs. :lol

Chieflion
04-11-2011, 09:15 AM
"Bryant said 62 minutes after the game ended." Seriously, they keep track of such shit. Do they stalk him or anything?

SourCandy
04-11-2011, 09:21 AM
It was rather sad to see the lakers fold like that. :depressed
Big game coming up for LA n SA..both have a chance to mess up each others standings in the HCA race. Should be a good game.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 09:24 AM
It was rather sad to see the lakers fold like that. :depressed
Big game coming up for LA n SA..both have a chance to mess up each others standings in the HCA race. Should be a good game.

The only team that the Spurs are in contention with for HCA is the Bulls, and that's only if they meet in the Finals. The Spurs have HCA throughout the playoffs over everyone else already.

I don't see Pop trying too damn hard against LA tomorrow night.

Axe Murderer
04-11-2011, 09:27 AM
http://lakersblog.latimes.com/lakersblog/2011/04/lakers-suddenly-anxious-after-120-106-loss-to-oklahoma-city-.html

Before he could see any of his teammates, Kobe Bryant immediately darted into the trainer's room. Bryant usually goes through this ritual at some point following a game, receiving extensive treatment and icing on his assorted injuries, most notably his surgically repaired right knee and arthritic right index finger. But not this soon. The Lakers' 120-106 loss Sunday to the Oklahoma City Thunder agitated him so much he wanted to avoid any contact with teammates.

Whether it's a deliberate message or a way to temper his emotions, the Lakers didn't exactly hear what the co-captain had to say about the team's season-high fifth consecutive loss or even his three turnovers in the final three minutes overshadowing his 31 points on 10-of-19 shooting, a statistic he attributed to Oklahoma City's defense. But it's a sign nonetheless that the Lakers' losses are more than just blips.

"I didn't want to redecorate the walls in here so I made the effort to go in the training room and keep to myself," Bryant said 62 minutes after the game ended and then responded sarcastically to whether he was mad. "No, not at all."

Bryant was uncertain on whether the Lakers can turn things around in the two remaining regular-season games -- Tuesday against San Antonio and Wednesday at Sacramento -- in time for the Lakers to be at their best once the playoffs start, offering a tepid, "I hope so." Lakers forward Pau Gasol suddenly called the last two games "must-win." And both Bryant and Lakers center Andrew Bynum argued they need a long practice Monday to expedite all the corrections they need to make.

The reason for the Lakers' increased unhappiness points to how their continual losing makes it more and more obvious they're setting themselves up for drastic home-court implications. A Lakers' victory and a Mavericks loss to Phoenix on Sunday would've secured a No. 2 seeding in the Western Conference. Instead, the opposite happened. The Lakers and Dallas Mavericks are tied at 55-25 for the second spot in the West, while the Thunder closed the gap to one game behind them. Though the Lakers hold both a tiebreaker over Dallas after locking up the Pacific Division and over Oklahoma City after finishing 2-1 in the regular-season series, that's not making the Lakers any more comfortable. Although Lakers Coach Phil Jackson told his team not to pay attention to the Eastern Conference teams because it promotes looking ahead to a possible NBA Finals matchup, it's hard not to notice the Miami Heat (56-25) have a one-game edge over the Lakers, while Boston (55-25) remains tied.

"We were complacent a little bit and we got caught," Jackson said, referring to the team's previous three losses against Utah, Golden State and Portland. "I told them yesterday I didn't think we could turn it around in one game."

Certainly not.

The Lakers allowed Oklahoma City to shoot 55.6% from the field, 47.1% from three-point range and outrebound them 38-34, areas the Lakers usually dominate considering the team's defensive scheme that funnels drivers into the team's frontline had largely spurred the Lakers' 17-1 effort following the All-Star break. Instead, the Lakers displayed a defense Bryant described as "horrible."

The Thunder went on a 17-2 run, including a possession that exemplified the Lakers' poor play: Ron Artest airballed a three-pointer, Bryant grabbed the rebound and then airballed another trey. They again had no answer for Russell Westbrook's speed (26 points, seven assists and six rebounds). Artest normally forces Thunder forward Kevin Durant into a poor shooting clip to get his points, but his 31 points came on 11-of-15 shooting. And even though Thunder center Kendrick Perkins scored only two points, his presence has sharpened Oklahoma City's toughness, particularly in the paint.

"We know we can win, but we need practice," Bynum said. "We're not a unit right now. There's a lot of individual things going right for certain guys, but as a unit collectively we're not there."

What's even more disconcerting, the Lakers actually tried this time. It featured Bryant and Gasol (26 points on 10-of-16 shooting) scoring at prolific rates, Steve Blake coming up with a rare solid shooting performance (nine points on three-of-three shooting) and Bryant refusing to back away from Perkins' headlock, which resulted in a technical foul for both. But the negatives, such as Gasol's four rebounds, Lamar Odom's sudden drop in productivity (seven points on three-of-nine shooting) and the blown fourth-quarter execution hard to watch.

To think, it was only last week that plenty centered on when the starters would begin resting, when "Khloe and Lamar" would debut on TV and whether the Lakers are suddenly invincible. Lakers guard and co-captain Derek Fisher reminded everyone that the Lakers went 6-7 in their final 13 regular-season games last season and were on the brink of elimination in a first-round series with the Sacramento Kings and the Western Conference Finals against the Portland Trail Blazers in the 2000 playoffs, only to finish with favorable results. It could very well be one of those times once again. But the Lakers have a lot of work to do with little room for error.

"This one is tough for us because we were playing so well," Fisher said. "This is coming at a really bad time for us in terms of how we finish the regular season, but we still have an opportunity to solidify our spot."

Listen I don't care what's rude or disrespectful! Obviously that person worked on being a slut all their life and I know all about it, and if I'm gonna get played by one then I may as well tell it like it is, come on now, what's wrong with you??

SourCandy
04-11-2011, 09:47 AM
The only team that the Spurs are in contention with for HCA is the Bulls, and that's only if they meet in the Finals. The Spurs have HCA throughout the playoffs over everyone else already.

I don't see Pop trying too damn hard against LA tomorrow night.

Yes i know :rolleyes

As soon as I pushed "submit" I was like maybe I should have added that LA could mess it up for the spurs and bulls and SA could mess it up for LA and Mavs. But I was like nah..they know. Thanks for proving me wrong tampa :lol

Bill_Brasky
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM

As soon as I pushed "submit" I was like maybe I should have added that LA could mess it up for the spurs and bulls and SA could mess it up for LA and Mavs. But I was like nah..they know. Thanks for proving me wrong tampa :lol

lol not being able to infer

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I'm not worried about HCA in the Finals, tbh...I think Miami is coming out of the East, and we already have HCA over them, but if we do get through the West and face the Bulls, we can beat them, HCA or no HCA.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM
^Like ya's handled the Suns here last Spring.

tee, hee.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Please to be speaking more clearly, seņor. :lol

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:29 AM
^Like ya's handled the Suns here last Spring.

tee, hee.

0-10 skunker and counting for the Fakeshow. You have no room. :lmao

ManuBalboa
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Didn't Phil Jackson comment just last month on trying to still get HCA over the Eastern teams when the Spurs looked out of reach (i.e., looking ahead)?

Maybe its time for the Piss and Purple to bring in a sports psychiatrist again?

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Your O & 6 Fest tops our O & 5.

ha, ha.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Your O & 6 Fest tops our O & 5.

ha, ha.

Lakers are on an 0-10 skunker, brah, and at full strength, with 3 of the last 5 games at home. The Lakers' skunkathon is worse by a billion light years. :lol

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:37 AM
No. You have The Skunker and the O & 6 Fest.

We have O & 5.

Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:39 AM
No. You have The Skunker and the O & 6 Fest.

We have O & 5.

Next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only skunkers in LA vs. SA playoff history are a couple of 0-4 skunkadelics by the Lakers. :lol

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM
The only skunkers in LA vs. SA playoff history are a couple of 0-4 skunkadelics by the Lakers. :lol

I'm talking about The Skunker from last Spring.

SomeCallMeTim
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM
The Heat, Spurs, and Lakers are all proud owners of losing streaks of at least 5 games this season.

Boston has looked really shaky for a month now.

Orlando just seems like a deeply flawed team. So do the Mavs.

And yet, one of these teams will likely win the NBA title.

Really, of all the contending teams, only OKC and Chicago have escaped looking like trash recently. That is in large part because both started slow and got their losing out of the way early. It's also in part due to lower expectations.

I think last year's two Finals teams are ample evidence that "momentum" heading into the playoffs isn't a real strong indicator of how things will shake out.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I'm talking about The Skunker from last Spring.

Oh, you're a Suns fan, then??? Okay...gotcha...how's the fishing this year??? :lol

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Oh, you're a Suns fan, then??? Okay...gotcha...how's the fishing this year??? :lol

Always have been.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I think last year's two Finals teams are ample evidence that "momentum" heading into the playoffs isn't a real strong indicator of how things will shake out.

^ truth

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, a Fisher .4 or a Horry flagrant can change everything in an instant. :toast

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Always have been.

Okay...so you're just bandwagoning the Lakers, then...gotcha. :toast

hitmanyr2k
04-11-2011, 10:49 AM
The Lakers need to stop putting Kobe on Westbrook. This isn't Rondo we're talking about :lol Kobe's defense on Westbrook has been no better than Fisher's so I don't know why they're wasting Kobe's energy chasing that youngster around. By the 4th he's tired and can't finish games.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:52 AM
The Lakers need to stop putting Kobe on Westbrook.

It worked the prior 5 times in-a-row.

TampaDude
04-11-2011, 10:55 AM

While we're on that subject of 5 times in a row... :lol

0-5 at full strength

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 10:58 AM
While we're on that subject of 5 times in a row... :lol

0-5 at full strength

Still better than your O & 6 Fest.

Banzai
04-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Sad times..sad times.

hitmanyr2k
04-11-2011, 11:02 AM

Not really. Westbrook still gets his regardless of who's on him. He can get by any Laker defender at will. Durant was always the weak link when it came to the matchup against the Lakers. They may as well stick Fisher on Westbrook and let him get abused rather than wasting Kobe's energy. Makes no difference.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Sad times..sad times.

They are sad, Banz.

Kobe is starting to chronically have a difficult time in traffic. That's a bad indicator. Word is filtering thru, film is being viewed, they're waiting for him at the pass thereafter. He's starting to use his hands & arms on offense, and that is too a dead give-a-way. The refs are being kind and patient, but, they'll only babysit him so far before they have to be come involved as well. It's grim to watch. I can only imagine the rising panic for him in the black of night.

Hope we draw somebody we can feel contentment with in the first round and get our feet back under us.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Not really.

You can't do better than winning, hitman. Until Kobe took him in the playoffs last year we were in trouble.

You dance with who brung you. Kobe brung us.

hitmanyr2k
04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
You can't do better than winning, hitman. Until Kobe took him in the playoffs last year we were in trouble.

You dance with who brung you. Kobe brung us.

Kobe didn't do shit :lol Westbrook has proven time and time again he can get around him at will. The only problem Westbrook has is running into LA's bigs after he goes around Kobe like he's nailed to the floor.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Kobe didn't do shit :lol Westbrook has proven time and time again he can get around him at will. The only problem Westbrook has is running into LA's bigs after he goes around Kobe like he's nailed to the floor.

The only way I can disprove your theory is:::

Kobe: 4

Duncan: 4

Uh, uh.

j.dizzle
04-11-2011, 11:26 AM
Nigga would you shut the fuck up. I step away for a moment, and out come the goonies. Go back upstairs.

:lol

tlongII
04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
The way to play Westbrook is to prevent the drive. Let him have the jumper. He got hot one game against us from three, but he's normally a very inconsistent outside shooter. Play back against Westbrook and get in Durant's face.

tlongII
04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Homie, we own them. No need for you to be telling us shit.

:lol You don't own anybody right now!

Leetonidas
04-11-2011, 11:40 AM
lol only Laker players and fans thinking the game on Tuesday means anything. Lakers will eating that shit sandwich real soon ya'll.

tlongII
04-11-2011, 11:42 AM
It's pretty funny seeing Spurs fans post that their game against the Lakers is meaningless. Trying to cover all their bases! :lol

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
lol only Laker players and fans thinking the game on Tuesday means anything. Lakers will eating that shit sandwich real soon ya'll.

Perhaps, but, there'd be 28 other teams sharing that shit sandwich with us. I pray like I've never prayed afore (sans the Suns) that you'd be breaking shit with us.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:43 AM
It's pretty funny seeing Spurs fans post that their game against the Lakers is meaningless. Trying to cover all their bases! :lol

gd rights, t. It is weak & puny of 'em.

Leetonidas
04-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Perhaps, but, there'd be 28 other teams sharing that shit sandwich with us. I pray like I've never prayed afore (sans the Suns) that you'd be breaking shit with us.

:toast

I can't wait to see how this season ends. It's gonna be pretty awesome if your only smack is;;

Kobe: 5
Duncan: 5

Leetonidas
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM

You can just quote my post or refer to me directly instead of in a roundabout way you fat tits.

j.dizzle
04-11-2011, 11:46 AM
Homie, we own them. No need for you to be telling us shit.

Perkins is gonna take them over the top though. :lmao. He got owned yesterday. Gasol & Bynum combined for almost 40 & 20 while Perkins had like 2 pts & 5 rebounds. They just hit a bunch of long jumpers yesterday, no big deal. OKC is the Miami Heat of the West though, they get to the line a grip.

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 11:48 AM
:toast

I can't wait to see how this season ends. It's gonna be pretty awesome if your only smack is;;

Kobe: 5
Duncan: 5

I already stipulated that if Duncan goes to 5-5 and he does it over our dead bodies I'll grant him advantage.

If I can take Back-2-Back in the fine traditions, I can take total failure.

It's my religion.

tlongII
04-11-2011, 12:10 PM
You can just quote my post or refer to me directly instead of in a roundabout way you fat tits.

Is that better? :lol

san antonio spurs
04-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Tell us the meaning of that game:lol

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Tell us the meaning of that game:lol

Don't be obtuse. Act like somebody.

san antonio spurs
04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Don't be obtuse. Act like somebody.
It hasn't passed already?
Maybe a little sleep might help...or a job...:lol

btw, Hello... (where are my manners)

Giuseppe
04-11-2011, 12:48 PM
It hasn't passed already?
Maybe a little sleep might help...or a job...:lol

btw, Hello... (where are my manners)

I don't do j*bs. It's my religion. I don't even like to speak of w*rk.

That's also my religion.

san antonio spurs
04-11-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't do j*bs. It's my religion. I don't even like to speak of w*rk.

That's also my religion.
Lucky bastard,
Till you recruit me in you church...I got mine to do.
I'm sure you'll still be here when I get back, we'll catch up then... It's not like you can change your tune...

Killakobe81
04-11-2011, 05:32 PM
^ truth

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, a Fisher .4 or a Horry flagrant can change everything in an instant. :toast

Great point you can also add Horry's dagger vs. kings. Everyone talks about the refs in Game 7 of the 2002 WCF but without Horry's 3 in (game 4?) we NEVER see a game 7 ...kings probably ring and would have a new arena and not need to move ...

Giuseppe
04-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Great point you can also add Horry's dagger vs. kings. Everyone talks about the refs in Game 7 of the 2002 WCF but without Horry's 3 in (game 4?) we NEVER see a game 7 ...kings probably ring and would have a new arena and not need to move ...

....+ it probably ain't Kobe 5-4 over Duncan, and the lol thread isn't going to end up on Page 2.

tee, hee.

mindcrime
04-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Aside from the ref travesty in game 6, the Kings had plenty of opportunities to win that series.

a. Webber not leaving Horry in the final seconds of game 4.
b. missed free throws in game 7.
c. every Kings balls shriveling up like raisins sans Bibby under pressure.

Peja for 3!!!! AIRBALL fucking douche

Giuseppe
04-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Aside from the ref travesty in game 6, the Kings had plenty of opportunities to win that series.

a. Webber not leaving Horry in the final seconds of game 4.
b. missed free throws in game 7.
c. every Kings balls shriveling up like raisins sans Bibby under pressure.

Peja for 3!!!! AIRBALL fucking douche

Your organization made a conscious decision to play the ref game instead of meeting us on the square.

You lived to regret that decision.

Agloco
04-12-2011, 04:29 PM
L5