PDA

View Full Version : NBA Ramblings: Beware of the Lakers still, and apologies to Perkins lovers

Rummpd
04-11-2011, 04:35 PM
I. Although I like many others are scratching our heads at the LAL's inconsistency and recent nosedive they are still the only team that truly, besides, the Spurs can turn it up to another gear in the West and probably will again.
Moreover, they have championship cred, a lot of talent 8 deep, and the biggest relatively healthy NBA true center going right now (by as an aside, the way my kid and I met Gheorghe Dumitru Mureşan at the Montgomery Mall near Bethesda, MD yesterday and that was exciting for my kid and he was really nice and his hands from shaking them are a big as catcher mitts! Talk about an unreal tall man who is not that thin and actually had a fair career in the NBA despite his endocrine condition, and he is beloved in the local area. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gheorghe_Mure%C5%9Fan )
LAL is still a threat and thanks to both them and the Bulls for making Tuesdays night game interesting for both teams!

II. The Thunder are for real and will also be a tough out as they are improved and Perkins has surprised me for accepting his role and signing a contract etc. and is actually providing more for them than I thought he would. I have been hard on Mr. Single Single in the past but he is basically a bigger Blair but more consistent and is also showing leadership out there. The Thunder would be the toughest 2nd opponent for the Spurs barring LAL.

III. Still not impressed by the Mavs who face internal issues and will be IMO the most likely team in the West to get upset again in the first round - that is would it really be an upset if any team beat them? However, being called out by Karl might be the best thing going for them as now it them against all the doubters (including almost everyone on spurstalk). Yet, they still have Dirk and some proven talent despite their low point differential. What has hurt them is a true lack of depth demonstrated when Butler went down and the non emergence of Roddy B to being a true difference maker with his speed and athletic potential (so far at least)

What they do have is a fine coach and they type of team that can create mismatches for teams, and if Butler can come back or someone else steps up they could still exceed expectations - but then again they are the Mavs?

Lets get these playoffs started!

stretch
04-11-2011, 05:06 PM
low point differential! - rummpd keyphrase

Chomag
04-11-2011, 05:31 PM
I know some might be overwriting the LAL since they haven't had such a staler regular season. However untill someone de-thrones them they are still the team to beat.

OKC has a decent shot, but I think they still need a year or two to get to the next level.

Mavs, decent team but still only having one go to gay is still haunting that team.

The Heat, too many egoes in one spot to be reliable enough but they still could sneak in there.

Boston unfortunately forfeited their title chances when they traded away Perkens. That was probably one of the most boneheaded trades in recent history.

Bulls, I didn't think much of them at the start this year but they quickly have become a very dominant team, and may have all the right pieces to make a title run.

Spurs, can't say much without sounding biased.

Axe Murderer
04-11-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm a little let down by the fact that it took multiple paragraphs for Rummpd to use his shitty 'point differential' take. Once we saw this thread, we all knew it was coming. He should've just said it in the beginning instead of wasting all our time.

Capt Bringdown
04-11-2011, 11:12 PM
This group is the West’s favorite because they can beat you in every way. The Lakers are the No. 7 offense in the league through Sunday, a number that’s a little misleading because they’ve slipped a bit during this recent slide. Make no mistake: they can carve you up or pound it down your throat on any given night. Defensively, the Lakers are No. 6 in the league and currently rank as the Western Conference’s top unit. They excel at controlling the backboards – the No. 4 overall rebounding team – and protecting the basketball – the No. 2 team in terms of limiting turnovers. Despite all the harping on Bryant for breaking out of the team’s offense and doing his own thing, the Lakers are even a top 10 team when it comes to assist rate, a measure of what percentage of a team’s baskets come via assist. To boil it down: other than staying motivated late in the season, the Lakers simply don’t have a true weakness.

Road to the Finals: Los Angeles Lakers (http://eye-on-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/28446057)

All the Spurs can do is hope that the Lakers miraculously get bumped off in an earlier round, because they will make mincemeat of Bonnerball.
That's a fact.

Yorae
04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Spurs, can't say much without sounding biased.

They will beat LA...is that unbiased enough?

Rummpd
04-12-2011, 09:31 AM
First team to take out that *&%hole Terry gains major props - it would be a hell of lot easier to respect and potentially even root for the Mavs in some series except for that mouthpiece. It is sad in a way as I respect Dirk so much and even Kidd but it is impossible to root for any team with "Jet" and hard to root for any team with Cuban as the owner as well.

By the ways for those continually dishing point differential please find a stat that means more in predicating playoff or even championship success? The only one I am aware of that some have published has been the record vs. different types of teams but have seen variable results on that? Certainly part of the Mavs low point differential was due to Dirk's injury and then Caron but a point differential of 4 or so does not predict success like one of 6 like the Spurs at all.

Axe Murderer
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
crofl nobody cared about this shitty thread yesterday, why did you bump it today?

Giuseppe
04-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Doc, your people are either suggesting your scrubs take out Kobe, or, now Terry.

Rummpd
04-12-2011, 09:35 AM
I am not saying injury just beat the Mavs - I do not and have never, and will never wish for injuries against other players.

Now if Bonner would sprain an ankle I would have to think about my reaction as a fan and a doctor - maybe I could just hope for a mild sprain at least?:lol

Giuseppe
04-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I am not saying injury just beat the Mavs - I do not and have never, and will never wish for injuries against other players.

[[[First team to take out that *&%hole Terry gains major props]]]

:rolleyes

Rummpd
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
No I do not want the Mavs especially to play the injury excuse and I want Caron back for them as well - LAL and Spurs can both beat a fully healthy team is and when the Mavs get to the 2nd or a later round!

stretch
04-12-2011, 10:32 AM
low point differential!!!

stretch
04-12-2011, 10:34 AM
fwiw, rummpd seems like an evolved version of spursdynasty...

Giuseppe
04-12-2011, 10:47 AM
...rotating on a 14-incher.

Axe Murderer
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Spurs can turn it up to another gear in the West and probably will again.

III. Still not impressed by the Mavs who face internal issues and will be IMO the most likely team in the West to get upset again in the first round - that is would it really be an upset if any team beat them?

5 star thread, definitely recommending to others