View Full Version : 2011 Draft Prospect: Malcolm Thomas

Bruno
04-11-2011, 06:22 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/4095008122_f8a5ddf2a4.jpg
Height: 6-9
Weight: 220 lbs
Birthday: 11/08/1988
College: San Diego State

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Malcolm-Thomas-5055/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/malcolm-thomas)

Bruno
05-21-2011, 06:07 PM
Malcolm Thomas will work out for Spurs on May 25:
http://thehoopsreport.com/workouts.aspx?action=San%20Antonio

Brazil
05-22-2011, 09:03 AM
thats some pretty long arms... wow

DesignatedT
05-22-2011, 04:51 PM
Great defender in college. Very good athlete but limited offensively. If he is there in the 2nd round I would take him. Not with the 29th though.

JonNOKC
05-23-2011, 12:54 PM
If he could develop a jump shot he could be really good role layer as SF (Bowen/Marion combo) - unfortunately in 3 college seasons he has shown little improvement shooting the ball

Man In Black
05-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I wouldn't say he didn't show any improvement. It's because the system that Steve Fisher employed had made Thomas a 15 foot and in guy. Outside shooting fell to DJ Gay and Kawhi Leonard and Billy White. He's quite a leaper and has an uncanny knack of getting blocks.

spurs777
05-31-2011, 11:35 AM
He is about 6 '9 with shoes and about 220 I would guess.

Extremely thin but he is an extremely explosive athlete, he has the quickest second jump I have seen (like if he goes for pump fake gets landed on his feet and goes back up again for block), he will block a ton of shots and get offensive rebounds, has a nice hook shots and an extremely good post passer on the block. He is a 4, has no handles or a jumper but I think he can devolop into a very good defensive player, would excell in a fast offense, and will rebound well (especially on offensive end), put 20 pounds of strength on him and he will do work.

BackHome
06-05-2011, 10:40 AM
The kid averaged 11.4 pts, FG 53%, Rebounds 8.1, and averaged 2.0 blocks a game. He is your defender that can guard outside shooters and has the foot speed to match up with the almost any SF or PF. Yeah his is thin and needs to work on his mid range but those are things you can teach. He is on my top four list........

ChuckD
06-05-2011, 11:06 AM
He is about 6 '9 with shoes and about 220 I would guess.

Are those fucking platform shoes, because he's 6' 7.25" w/o shoes, and shoes usually ad an inch.

Biggems
06-06-2011, 09:03 PM
we have shown we can score...scoring isnt an issue anymore...what we cannot seem to do is defend anymore, especially when it matters, and especially on the perimeter. if this guy is a very good perimeter defender....we should throw our first at him. If he can potentially be a bruce bowen type player for us....then I would not be upset if we threw our 1st at him.

yavozerb
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
we have shown we can score...scoring isnt an issue anymore...what we cannot seem to do is defend anymore, especially when it matters, and especially on the perimeter. if this guy is a very good perimeter defender....we should throw our first at him. If he can potentially be a bruce bowen type player for us....then I would not be upset if we threw our 1st at him.

Wow, where did that come from...You really see this guy in the BB mold?

Biggems
06-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Wow, where did that come from...You really see this guy in the BB mold?

I guess you missed the IF at the beginning and the POTENTIALLY in the middle of the sentence. I have never seen him play. I am going by what I have read and what the posters said prior to my post. I do not know if he is in the BB mold....I am saying if he is, then hell yes, he is worth our 1st pick, cause we need some serious perimeter defense. At 6'9 he would give SGs and SFs all kinds of hell....that is if he is in the BB mold.

If this guy is the defensive player he is being talked about...ideally I would love to go big in this draft and somehow make a few trades. I would like to take PF/C Tyler in the 1st. Then I would like to make a trade and acquire PF/C Keith Benson. Finally, I would like to trade our 2nd and maybe cash for the rights to SF Malcolm Thomas.

C - Splitter, Tyler, Benson
PF - Duncan, Blair, Bonner
SF - Jefferson, Thomas, Butler
SG - Manu, Neal, Green
PG - Parker, Hill, Quinn

Tyler, Benson, and Thomas would definitely give us a stronger defensive presence that we sorely need, as well as a huge infusion of athleticism.

yavozerb
06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I guess you missed the IF at the beginning and the POTENTIALLY in the middle of the sentence. I have never seen him play. I am going by what I have read and what the posters said prior to my post. I do not know if he is in the BB mold....I am saying if he is, then hell yes, he is worth our 1st pick, cause we need some serious perimeter defense. At 6'9 he would give SGs and SFs all kinds of hell....that is if he is in the BB mold.

If this guy is the defensive player he is being talked about...ideally I would love to go big in this draft and somehow make a few trades. I would like to take PF/C Tyler in the 1st. Then I would like to make a trade and acquire PF/C Keith Benson. Finally, I would like to trade our 2nd and maybe cash for the rights to SF Malcolm Thomas.

C - Splitter, Tyler, Benson
PF - Duncan, Blair, Bonner
SF - Jefferson, Thomas, Butler
SG - Manu, Neal, Green
PG - Parker, Hill, Quinn

Tyler, Benson, and Thomas would definitely give us a stronger defensive presence that we sorely need, as well as a huge infusion of athleticism.

So basically you have no idea about this guy...

Biggems
06-07-2011, 07:30 PM
It seems to me you guys have him prospected at a small forward. Maybe down the road Thomas can become that, but at the moment he is a slightly undersized small ball 4. A little weight will do him good, along with an improved jump shot. However, I do like his ability to defend both insdie (from the weak side and against more athletic 4s such as Tyrus Thomas or Taj Gibson) and from the outside as he did with Jimmer.

id love that kind of versatility.

Biggems
06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
This may or may not raise hype knowing you guys, but picture James Gist with better defensive skills. In short don't expect him to be great.

give me a great defender who can pop an occasional jumper (hopefully a corner 3) and give me some fast break baskets. like I said earlier, we have plenty of offense, we need defense...that is why I want this guy, Tyler, and Benson.....3 young, athletic, tall, long defenders who can give opposing offenses fits.

will_spurs
01-10-2012, 05:10 PM
RT @JMcDonald_SAEN: Spurs haven't officially signed D-League PF Malcolm Thomas, and he's not in MIL, but you can expect him to join team Wed. vs. HOU.

xmas1997
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I hope his familiarity with Leonard will translate into a defensive force down low, but only if Pop will play him. Time will tell.

ace3g
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Here is Kawhi's scouting report:

“He’s athletic, he does a good job on defense,” said Leonard, offering the scouting report on the 23-year-old Thomas. “He comes from help side, blocks shots. He’ll get tip-backs and rebounds. He’s a great team player.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2012/01/10/ford%E2%80%99s-injury-throws-backcourt-in-turmoil/

1 hour ago
Malcolm4Thomas Malcolm Thomas
Jus signed my contract...#lehhhhgooo

loveforthegame
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I hope Pop gives him a chance to play other than garbage minutes. While I'm not expecting a lot it's not like we have anything to lose by it.

Bonner has sucked so far and Diogu looks done. Duncan, Splitter, and Blair can only do so much.

dbestpro
01-11-2012, 02:28 PM
I hope Pop gives him a chance to play other than garbage minutes. While I'm not expecting a lot it's not like we have anything to lose by it.

Defensively, Bonner and Blair have sucked so far and Diogu looks done. Duncan and Splitter, can only do so much.

Fixed.