PDA

View Full Version : spurs should go for number one seed overall or rest

tim210g
04-11-2011, 06:55 PM
I say go for it stay in rhythm..we've been the best allseason it would suck to lose the top record in the last two games plus it would be good to win. Lakers series 3-1 and hand them their sixth loss in a row.

dbestpro
04-11-2011, 07:18 PM
That's right! We should go for it all, or not!

Beanzamillion21
04-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Agreed

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2011, 08:17 PM
The Spurs have every reason to mail in tomorrow night's game, if only because an LA win assures that they will be either 2 or 3 and keep them out of the 4 spot.

Conceivably, if the Spurs win at Staples tomorrow, LA could end up with 27 losses and, if OKC wins out (@SAC, v. MIL), would drop LAL (v. SA, @SAC) to the 4 spot (assuming no similar swoon for Dallas (@HOU, v. NOH)).

No matter how great your belief in the Spurs' ability to beat LA, you'd have to guess that the Spurs would rather see LA in the Conference Finals and (assuming both can make it there) and not in the WCSF (assuming each would make it there).

Sometimes, when I post, my own genius amazes me.

DesignatedT
04-11-2011, 08:18 PM
rest

04-11-2011, 08:19 PM
there is absolutely no reason why the spurs should play its big 3 against the lakers. spurs can win a coin toss.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks FWD for making my posting SOOOOO easy.

Beanzamillion21
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
The Spurs have every reason to mail in tomorrow night's game, if only because an LA win assures that they will be either 2 or 3 and keep them out of the 4 spot.

Conceivably, if the Spurs win at Staples tomorrow, LA could end up with 27 losses and, if OKC wins out (@SAC, v. MIL), would drop LAL (v. SA, @SAC) to the 4 spot (assuming no similar swoon for Dallas (@HOU, v. NOH)).

No matter how great your belief in the Spurs' ability to beat LA, you'd have to guess that the Spurs would rather see LA in the Conference Finals and (assuming both can make it there) and not in the WCSF (assuming each would make it there).

It amazed you so much you pasted the same thing in 2 threads.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-11-2011, 09:35 PM
It amazed you so much you pasted the same thing in 2 threads.

Eight threads! Come on....keep up!

ElNono
04-11-2011, 09:40 PM
(Title) Are there any other options? :lol

Dex
04-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Something to consider:

Tim Duncan, after the Utah game, made the following statement:

“I feel great. My ankle’s not 100 percent, but other than that, juice-wise I feel pretty good. I feel pretty energized.”

Now, Timmy usually doesn't bring up nagging injuries unless they are actually affecting his play. With the Spurs spiraling out of control without him, I had suspected that they rushed him back into action before they REALLY wanted to.

Others have already well documented the Pro's to winning tomorrow's game. Gain some confidence against the Lakers, sink them deeper into the 2-3 spot (and give them a taste of the O and 6'er), and keep pace with Chicago.

However, we also know that this team is only going as far as Duncan can carry it. If his ankle is still hurting, having an extra three or four days to heal could be a great benefit to him. Not to mention the other injury concerns that come with a late season skirmish with a heated playoff rival that could, or could not, end up being meaningless.

Is having a healthy Tim a bigger concern than seeding?

I assume the doctors have already gauged what an extra few days of rest would do for Tim. If it would genuinely help, I'd imagine they would be resting him. If that were the case though, I doubt he would have played in the last game. Therefore, I expect him to play tomorrow.

The best case scenario is that Pop can limit the starter's minutes while still at least keeping the Lakers within striking distance, but L.A. is going to come out hyped for the win.

Thompson
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
(Title) Are there any other options? :lol

They could play all our starters heavy minutes and sub Bonner in for Splitter for the fourth quarter.

stnick2261
04-11-2011, 11:31 PM
having homecourt advantage in the finals doesn't matter if we don't make it to the finals... you gotta keep the starters in "game shape", but then let them rest and don't risk injury... no matter the score in the regular season

slick'81
04-11-2011, 11:32 PM
i say sit the big 3 for the final 2 if the bulls and spurs both make it to the finals we bitch about it then

G-Dawgg
04-11-2011, 11:51 PM
The Spurs are going to try to win tomorrow, they need the momentum going into the playoffs. They've been slumping hard at the worst time in the season to slump. They need a quality win against a powerhouse team in order to bring their confidence back up. I'm hoping they win but I'm betting they don't.....

I love my Spurs, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in them right now... and honestly it doesn't seem like they have a whole lot of confidence either.

Sean Cagney
04-11-2011, 11:57 PM
The Spurs are going to try to win tomorrow, they need the momentum going into the playoffs. They've been slumping hard at the worst time in the season to slump. They need a quality win against a powerhouse team in order to bring their confidence back up. I'm hoping they win but I'm betting they don't.....

I love my Spurs, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence in them right now... and honestly it doesn't seem like they have a whole lot of confidence either.

SO SPURS are slumping but LA IS NOT? 5 in a row losses? Go all out to win tomorrow night, but if they do that and lose what does that do for them? NOTHING at all, just more mins on starters legs which we need later and a loss which we tried to win but lost! IF THEY SHALL WIN let them do it with limited MINS! I hope that happens, all I can hope for as we are already #1 seed out West which is what matters IMO.

Thompson
04-12-2011, 12:17 AM
Can they not 'rest' the big 3 without putting them in street clothes? That way, if the Spurs stay in the game until the 4th quarter and have a decent shot to win it, you throw them in. Otherwise, they take the whole night off.

Man In Black
04-12-2011, 12:22 AM
What cracks me up is that the LAL 5 game streak is with a healthy team in which all of their rotation is contributing to losses.

Umm....Pop, go ahead and mail this one is. We're ready to watch the playoffs.

ElNono
04-12-2011, 12:26 AM

LA is not losing to Sacramento, IMO.

Conversely, there's an incentive for the Spurs to win: Keeping Dallas as the #2 seed will entice them to play hard in their last game against NOH, keeping NOH in the 8th spot instead of Memphis.

I think a lot of this stuff will be worked out after tomorrow's games.

Man In Black
04-12-2011, 12:34 AM
I actually think Sacto will rally hard to try to win their last game ever in Sacramento. You would think that the Maloof Brother's will want to market to their new area that the Anaheim Royals beat the Lakers in their last game as Kings.

boutons_deux
04-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Spurs gotta get Finals HCA vs a very probable Chicago. Spurs need to win @LAL.

mingus
04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
i think chicago comes out of the east so i think Spurs need to win.

Fireball
04-12-2011, 05:31 AM
What a dilemma ... I vote to play the starters very limited minutes against L.A. tonight ... if they still win, so be it. The risk of meeting Chicago in the Finals is not very high, so its better to maybe not have HCA in the Finals than meeting the Lakers already in the 2nd round of the playoffs. Hopefully NO stays at #8.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 09:02 AM

:toast need to avoid LA until WCFs

TampaDude
04-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Reasons to tank tonight's game vs. LA:

1. Rest the starters and avoid injuries
2. Don't want to chance LA dropping to the 4 seed
3. Bulls aren't winning the East, Miami is

Mail it in, Pop...give the Lakers their hollow victory against Quinn and company. :lol

rascal
04-12-2011, 11:38 AM
i think chicago comes out of the east so i think Spurs need to win.

Chicago will not come out of the East. The spurs need to just play out the season and get ready for the playoffs without getting anyone injured.

DJB
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Rest the big 3. HCA in the finals doesn't matter. Once Timmy makes it to the finals, the ring is already won.

Dex
04-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Rest the big 3. HCA in the finals doesn't matter. Once Timmy makes it to the finals, the ring is already won.

I sincerely hope you are joking.

DJB
04-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Maybe just a hint of sarcasm. But I honestly don't give a shit about the #1 overall seed.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 12:05 PM

So you think playing Game 7 in Chicago or Game 7 in SA is of no consequence?

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2011, 12:32 PM

Too many parentheses.

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
LA is not losing to Sacramento, IMO.

Conversely, there's an incentive for the Spurs to win: Keeping Dallas as the #2 seed will entice them to play hard in their last game against NOH, keeping NOH in the 8th spot instead of Memphis.

I think a lot of this stuff will be worked out after tomorrow's games.

Even if the Lakers win tonight (for instance, by concession of the Spurs), the Mavericks will have incentive to play hard against NOH because if they win and the Lakers lose on Wednesday, the Mavs will still win the 2nd seed with 25 losses (in that scenario, LAL would have 26 losses).

The import of tonight's game, to me at least, isn't a matter of who specifically ends up in the 2nd seed or the 3rd seed; it's in ensuring that the Lakers remain in one of those spots.

MadDog73
04-12-2011, 01:10 PM
So you think playing Game 7 in Chicago or Game 7 in SA is of no consequence?

It's of little consequence... considering if we win the 3 middle at home, we'll be up 3-2 heading back to Chicago.

I'd much rather be in that hypothetical, then down 2-3 going back to SA...

and that's assuming the Bulls will get to the Finals.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 01:42 PM
It's of little consequence... considering if we win the 3 middle at home, we'll be up 3-2 heading back to Chicago.

I'd much rather be in that hypothetical, then down 2-3 going back to SA...

and that's assuming the Bulls will get to the Finals.

No team has ever won all three middle games at home.

This 2-3-2 format favors the HCA team more than any other format

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 01:44 PM
But my point is:

Home team wins a game 7 at a high percentage in NBA, and I, as a fan, would much rather have my team at home for that deciding game.

DesignatedT
04-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Rest. No reason to get too greedy. If you would have told me in the beginning of the season that we would get the #1 seed in the west then I would have said no way. Duncan has already admitted that his ankle is not 100% but people still want to play him heavy minutes down the stretch? Are you crazy? You realize if that ankle rolls over again in the playoffs then the whole season is over right? Manu has definitely worn down as well as the season has progressed and looks fatigued. These 2 guys need to rest. It would be stupid to play them normally these last 2 games.

Home court in the finals would be great but it isn't something to start striving for when your guys clearly need to rest. A week off before the playoffs would do wonders for Duncans ankle and Manu. Lets just hope the Bulls somehow lose, that would make it real easy.

stnick2261
04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
But my point is:

Home team wins a game 7 at a high percentage in NBA, and I, as a fan, would much rather have my team at home for that deciding game.

If the Spurs aren't 100% for the playoffs... then it doesn't matter where they play that game 7

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Rest. No reason to get too greedy. If you would have told me in the beginning of the season that we would get the #1 seed in the west then I would have said no way. Duncan has already admitted that his ankle is not 100% but people still want to play him heavy minutes down the stretch? Are you crazy? You realize if that ankle rolls over again in the playoffs then the whole season is over right? Manu has definitely worn down as well as the season has progressed and looks fatigued. These 2 guys need to rest. It would be stupid to play them normally these last 2 games.

What difference does it make to sit out one game at this point? They have already had 2 days off and they get rest after reg season ends too.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 01:50 PM
If the Spurs aren't 100% for the playoffs... then it doesn't matter where they play that game 7

you think playing hard tonight will make the difference of being healthy and 100% for the rest of the playoffs???

:rolleyes

DesignatedT
04-12-2011, 01:52 PM
What difference does it make to sit out one game at this point? They have already had 2 days off and they get rest after reg season ends too.

I say sit both out. I don't even think they should have even made the trip tbh.

How would you feel if Duncan steps on Bynums foot tonight and rolls that ankle again?

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 01:56 PM

How would you feel if Duncan steps on Bynums foot tonight and rolls that ankle again?

That can happen any game in playoffs. If you are that scared of injury, then just retire.

DesignatedT
04-12-2011, 02:10 PM
That can happen any game in playoffs. If you are that scared of injury, then just retire.

I'm not that scared of Injury when it comes to anyone else but since the guy was recently injured then the odds to re-injure himself greatly increase making it a cause for concern. Especially when he himself said it isn't 100%. No reason for him to go hard right now.. it makes absolutely zero sense. Let the ankle heal properly and play when the games matter, a week off can make that ankle perfect. Chicago isn't even guaranteed to be there.

said7
04-12-2011, 02:11 PM
If the playoffs started today...

Spurs vs NO
Dallas vs Memphis
Lakers vs Portland
OKC vs Den

This would be perfect imo.
- All the teams except Spurs having a tough first round.
- Higher chance of upsets by memphis or portland, which would give spurs easier 2nd rd.
- Avoid lakers in second round assuming favorites win.

Looks like win win.

stnick2261
04-12-2011, 02:13 PM
you think playing hard tonight will make the difference of being healthy and 100% for the rest of the playoffs???

:rolleyes

The difference is risking injury in a meaningless game and risking injury in a meaningful game...

but I do think our starters should play. To be 100% they need a few minutes for conditioning and chemistry... but be pulled early to not wear out and risk injury.

Yes, homecourt advantage is nice... but we're talking about IF we lose 1 game in the regular season and IF Chicago wins out, then we have 50% chance of losing homecourt... which would lead to 1 home game advantage difference in the finals even IF the Spurs make it and IF Chicago makes it...

stnick2261
04-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I'd say the West will come down to Spurs and Lakers... and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of the top 4 in the East... so I'd say our odds of a Spurs-Bulls Finals at roughly 12.5%

If we lose and Chicago wins out and there's a coin flip... then that puts the odds at 6% that Chicago takes homecourt from us in the Finals...

and then take into account how do you think the Lakers are going to go 100% and risk injury against us right before the playoffs? There is really no reason to force a win for a 6% chance of losing homecourt advantage

gameFACE
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
If the big 3 and Dice are rested tonight and tomorrow that would be a whole week without playing when the playoffs start. That's way too much rest for this team. They'll come out sluggish and cratchety. Go for the whole thing at this point. I much prefer a Finals Game 7 here than Chicago, Boston or Miami.

Most importantly step on the Lakers when they're down, man.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
If the big 3 and Dice are rested tonight and tomorrow that would be a whole week without playing when the playoffs start. That's way too much rest for this team. They'll come out sluggish and cratchety. Go for the whole thing at this point. I much prefer a Finals Game 7 here than Chicago, Boston or Miami.

Most importantly step on the Lakers when they're down, man.

Exactly. Play hard tonight, then they get at least 4 days off. Who needs more than 4 days off?

ersinert
04-12-2011, 03:37 PM
rest, chicago is not gonna make it the finals anyway

Dex
04-12-2011, 03:45 PM
Exactly. Play hard tonight, then they get at least 4 days off. Who needs more than 4 days off?

I'd like more than four days off. :wakeup

FromWayDowntown
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
No team has ever won all three middle games at home.

This 2-3-2 format favors the HCA team more than any other format

The 2004 Detroit Pistons say "hello":

Game 1 June 6 Detroit Pistons 87 @ Los Angeles Lakers 75
Game 2 June 8 Detroit Pistons 91 @ Los Angeles Lakers 99
Game 3 June 10 Los Angeles Lakers 68 @ Detroit Pistons 88
Game 4 June 13 Los Angeles Lakers 80 @ Detroit Pistons 88
Game 5 June 15 Los Angeles Lakers 87 @ Detroit Pistons 100

So do the 2006 Miami Heat:

Game 1 June 8 Miami Heat 80 @ Dallas Mavericks 90
Game 2 June 11 Miami Heat 85 @ Dallas Mavericks 99
Game 3 June 13 Dallas Mavericks 96 @ Miami Heat 98
Game 4 June 15 Dallas Mavericks 74 @ Miami Heat 98
Game 5 June 18 Dallas Mavericks 100 @ Miami Heat 101
Game 6 June 20 Miami Heat 95 @ Dallas Mavericks 92

itsamanuthree
04-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Reasons to tank tonight's game vs. LA:

1. Rest the starters and avoid injuries
2. Don't want to chance LA dropping to the 4 seed
3. Bulls aren't winning the East, Miami is

Mail it in, Pop...give the Lakers their hollow victory against Quinn and company. :lol

1. Sure, there's always the risk of injury, from game 1 to 82. But it doesn't get worse on game 81, so long as they don't overexert themselves, or the game gets too physical.
2. True, we can send Lakers to the 4th seed. But consider that if they fall there, they will have lost their last 7! 7!!! games of the regular season. And would be facing hard-working Denver in round 1. We are supposed to play them anyway at some point.
3. Bulls can definitely win the East.

Reasons to try and win:

1. Keep our healthy players in top basketball form.
2. Build confidence (always good 4 the team, but specially against the Lakers)
3. Add to the Lakers slump, even though "it's nothing", as they care to show (suspicious how much they care, IMO).
4. Get LAL away from NOH, which would be a tailor made 1st round 4 them.
5. Send LAL the message "I don't fear you".
6. Get a bit closer to HCA against the best in the East so far.

Sure, we shouldn't take this as a playoff game, but I expect Pop not to tank it. :hungry:

dunkman
04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I hated when the Spurs rested the big 3 against Denver last season. The Spurs were close to win that game anyway, but the Nuggets won. Later in the season, the Spurs fell too much in the standings. There would have been chances to avoid playing the Suns last season, that was important because it was the only bad matchup for the 2009-2010 Spurs.

The Spurs should play full strength the last two games, integrate Splitter and send an statement to the Lakers, secure HCA trough the playoffs and finals.

The ADMIRAL 50
04-12-2011, 04:14 PM
On the contrary I thought Phoenix was gonna be an easy match up for us last year. Timmy going up against Amare and Collins? He shouldve dominated, but he was clearly a shell of himself in that series. His knees just werent there. In addition to that, Tony vs Nash (much like Tony vs Fisher) means Tony couldve scored as much as he wanted, but he still wasnt back at 100% after that late season broken hand. We just fell apart at the wrong time last year, that was one of the hardest things I've had to watch as a Spurs fan in a long time, in terms of over the course of an entire series probably since the Shaq led Lakers were winning three in a row. Luckily we seem to be relatively healthy and fresh heading into the postseason this year (*knock on wood*) and that could make all the difference.

DesignatedT
04-12-2011, 04:19 PM
1. Sure, there's always the risk of injury, from game 1 to 82. But it doesn't get worse on game 81, so long as they don't overexert themselves, or the game gets too physical.
2. True, we can send Lakers to the 4th seed. But consider that if they fall there, they will have lost their last 7! 7!!! games of the regular season. And would be facing hard-working Denver in round 1. We are supposed to play them anyway at some point.

Reasons to try and win:

3. Add to the Lakers slump, even though "it's nothing", as they care to show (suspicious how much they care, IMO).

Sure, we shouldn't take this as a playoff game, but I expect Pop not to tank it. :hungry:

He's going to tank it, and it's the right call.

itsamanuthree
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Do you have a source or is just your shot?

DieHardSpursFan1537
04-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Spurs to win to lock in the #1 overall seed so if they get to the Finals, they'll have Homecourt advantage.

DesignatedT
04-12-2011, 04:23 PM
Do you have a source or is just your shot?

Just a guess.

stnick2261
04-12-2011, 04:24 PM

Reasons to try and win:

Yes, the risk of injury is the same for all 82 games, but it's still higher than zero which is the risk if they don't play. Does no one else see any middle ground? Play the starters enough to keep them in shape and keep chemistry up... but don't press the issue and give the bench plenty of minutes.

I hated when the Spurs rested the big 3 against Denver last season. The Spurs were close to win that game anyway, but the Nuggets won. Later in the season, the Spurs fell too much in the standings. There would have been chances to avoid playing the Suns last season, that was important because it was the only bad matchup for the 2009-2010 Spurs.

The Spurs should play full strength the last two games, integrate Splitter and send an statement to the Lakers, secure HCA trough the playoffs and finals.

there is no chance of us falling too far in the standings later in the season. The only difference between a win and a loss now is a 50% chance of an extra home game in the finals against one possible opponent.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Too many parentheses.

:lol

beirmeistr
04-12-2011, 09:14 PM
I hope coach Pop is more conservative than some of the posters in this thread. Why risk a season-ending injury to the Big 4 when the odds are that La, playing in their place and with #2 or #3 on the line will play this game like a cornered wildcat and win it anyway?
The argument that they need to stay in shape does not hold water. They have a back-t0-back tomorrow. By going all out, they are risking losing the last two games
(very tired tomorrow) and losing home court advantage instead of tying for it.
If they tank, they guarantee not meeting the Lakers until the WCF. They keep their health and allow the non-experienced Spurs to get playoff experience.
A no-brainer.