PDA

View Full Version : Thunder as 2008-2009 Denver Nuggets

ajh18
04-11-2011, 11:38 PM
So as I consider the Thunder as our likely second round opponent, I can't help but be reminded of a younger version of the 2008-2009 Denver Nuggets.

Obviously, both teams rely on a high-scoring small forward (Durant and Carmelo) and a point guard (Billups and Westbrook) as their number one and two options on offense, with the Thunder's duo being a bit more proficient.

That Nuggets team made up for the point difference inside, with Nene, Martin, Anderson, and Kleiza combining for 43 pts, 24 rebs, and just over 5 blks a game, while OKC's combo of Perkins, Ibaka, Kristic, and Collision have combined for 35 pts, 25 rebs, and just over 4 blks.

JR Smith and James Harden fill that 3rd scorer role, with Dahntay Jones and Sefolosha serving as these teams' equivalent of defensive stoppers.

On offense, the 09 Nuggets were 6th in PPG and 7th in Offensive Rating, while this year's Thunder are 4th in PPG and 5th in Offensive Rating.

This actually surprised me, because I assumed this year's Thunder were the better team defensively rather than offensively, particularly given their slower pace (13th compared to the 09 Nuggets being 6th).

But in fact, those Nuggets were 18th in PPG and 8th in Defensive Rating, while this year's Thunder are 17th in PPG but just 15th in Defensive Rating.

These numbers are all pretty close though. So when considering matching up with OKC in the second round (not to overlook our first round opponent), it could be an interesting case study to use the '09 Nuggets as a potential benchmark for them.

TE
04-11-2011, 11:43 PM
No, OKC cannot be compared to the 08-09 Nuggets. They are better inside and outside. Most of all, you don't expect the Thunder to make much the mental mistakes that plagued the Nuggets which is kind of mind-numbing considering how young they are.

ChuckD
04-11-2011, 11:47 PM
One big difference: Chauncey. He was twice the leader and facilitator that Westbrook is. He had double Finals experience, including winning one.

ajh18
04-11-2011, 11:55 PM
No, OKC cannot be compared to the 08-09 Nuggets. They are better inside and outside. Most of all, you don't expect the Thunder to make much the mental mistakes that plagued the Nuggets which is kind of mind-numbing considering how young they are.

While I tend to agree that Westbrook and Durant are better than Anthony and Billups, the stats seem to suggest (although I havent dug too deep into this) that the Nuggets were the better inside team. Also, Smith, while not the brightest tool in the shed, was a superior shooter and outside scorer to Harden.

Point being, I don't think you can say with certainty that the Thunder are "better inside and outside."

That said, I DO agree with both points about the Nuggets being prone to mental errors, but Billups also being a far superior leader to Westbrook.

NickiRasgo
04-12-2011, 08:52 AM
And we're not the 2008 - 2009 Spurs anymore.