PDA

View Full Version : Magic-Hawks series thread

Venti Quattro
04-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Boring series is boring :wakeup :wakeup :wakeup

Magic in 6

Koolaid_Man
04-12-2011, 07:04 AM
So it means that much to you to start all these series threads first... I guess we know what your OCD is....lol

Venti Quattro
04-12-2011, 07:05 AM
the east placing was done so I thought it was okay to make thread. I was not racing to make one. Sure you can make the west threads

Sportstudi
04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Bump.

Boring game so far.

Axe Murderer
04-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Probably the most boring series out of all of them.

I just hope Orlando can win because I think they have a decent chance at beating Chicago, while Atlanta doesn't.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Dwight Howard is the MVP of this league and nothing anyone says will make me change my mind.

manufan10
04-16-2011, 06:54 PM
Howard is tearing the Hawks apart right now.. :wow

IronMexican
04-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Howard is 7-9. Christ.

Giuseppe
04-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Only the Hawks trump the Spurs in the Boring Dept.

manufan10
04-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Only the Hawks trump the Spurs in the Boring Dept.

tee, hee

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Howard makes you want to rip someone's head off. He is so awesome.

ogait
04-16-2011, 07:00 PM
It's painful to watch Ethan Thomas trying to guard Dwight.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Jamal so wet. So wet.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
This game has been interesting to me. I don't get people saying it's boring. Dwight is like the least boring player to watch.

Al Horford is such a beast as well. I really, really like his game.

Sportstudi
04-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Much better game now, thanks to Howard. He's beastin'. The first 6 minutes of the game were pretty boring though.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Howard is freaking draining FT's.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:04 PM
25 points :wow

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:06 PM
:lol Mav fan saying Joe wouldn't be a huge upgrade. Huge.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Ohm, this is the life, no? Playoff basketball. The weekend. Life is good.

Axe Murderer
04-16-2011, 07:11 PM
I'm starting to get a little lightheaded

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Just breathe. Take it easy. Refrain from re-reading my posts and you will be good. Drink plenty of water.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:14 PM
I feel like Jon Barry right now. I am gushing over this player named Dwight Howard. He makes FT's! He dunks! He blocks! He creates ways to score mid air as he soars high above the regular people.

IronMexican
04-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Fucking Christ. 30? And for all that, they're down 5.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Kirk, that was straight dirty. Very good pickup for ATL, even though it won't mean much in the end.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
If Dwight goes to LA, I am never watching the NBA again.

Cane
04-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Fucking Christ. 30? And for all that, they're down 5.

Impressive half for Dwight although he's also got 3 turnovers and looks like the ultimate ball stopper out there.

Chieflion
04-16-2011, 07:20 PM
So which idiot is going to say Dwight has no offensive game now?

InTheCrust
04-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Dwight'll drop 50 at the least. But this Orlando team is starting to look like Cleveland in '07. One superstar and a buncha scrubs.

baseline bum
04-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Dwight Howard is the MVP of this league and nothing anyone says will make me change my mind.

I have been saying this for a month. Howard has been an absolute monster this season and he's the only player in the game you could make an argument for for being as good as or better than LeBron.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:34 PM
:lol Mavfan saying Joe Johnson wouldn't help them

Booharv
04-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Been saying this for a while, as has about 20,000 advanced stats writers on the internet. Not exactly a novel opinion.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:41 PM
lol Jim O'Brien
lol advanced stats geeks

Booharv
04-16-2011, 07:43 PM
No advanced stat geek on Earth backs a Jim O'Brien offense that I know of.

Reck
04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
The arena is more empty then Giussepe's head.

This game so has a pre-season game feeling to it. Boring.

Cant wait for the Mavs-Blazers game. Now that will be a good game.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
No advanced stat geek on Earth backs a Jim O'Brien offense that I know of.

What are you talking about? Retarded stats like TS% say that shooting 40% from 3 point land is just as good as shooting 60% from inside the arc. Jim O'Brien himself is an advanced stats geek. So is Darryl "I build lottery winners" Morey.

TampaDude
04-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Howard is a fucking monster. That said, unless his teammates step up, the Magic ain't winning shit.

Capt. Obvious
04-16-2011, 07:46 PM
Howard is a fucking monster. That said, unless his teammates step up, the Magic ain't winning shit.
It would be exactly the same as the Spurs/Suns series' a few years ago. Let Amar'e/Dwight get theirs, shut everyone else down.

Sportstudi
04-16-2011, 07:47 PM

This has been the case since a couple of years.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Antoine Walker had a career 48.4 TS%. Anyone who studies advanced stats would have made him an end of the bench guy while O'Brien gave him the greenlight and encouraged his chucking. In his prime he was a 49% TS guy. Shooting threes is better than shooting twos if you shoot a high percentage from three and a poor one from two.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Jim O'Brien uses "advanced stats" as the basis for a lot of his coaching philosophies. Would you disagree with that statement?

Budkin
04-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Orlando Tragic. Par for the course.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Also, Darryl Morey used "advanced stats" to trade for Kevin fuckin Martin :lmao, that worked out well.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 07:51 PM
If you look at Nowitzki, people say he shpuld soot more from three but statistically they are wrong; if you examine his numbers, he's so good on 2s that it wouldn't boost his efficiency any. Nowitzki had a 57.2 TS% in 2009-10 and had a 38% career 3 point mark so the extra point on the 3 just gives him a 57.0 TS%. Most of the best TS% guys are ones like Amare. Dwight, or perimeter guys who can hit threes plus get to the line a lot.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 07:52 PM
perimeter guys who can hit threes plus get to the line a lot.

like Kevin Martin, advanced stats say he's one of the best scorers in the NBA

Cane
04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Dwight's got superstar gifts but man is he a dumbass.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Also, Darryl Morey used "advanced stats" to trade for Kevin fuckin Martin :lmao, that worked out well.

like Kevin Martin, advanced stats say he's one of the best scorers in the NBA

His theory was that he had Ariza and Battier so they could guard the elite scorers while hiding Martin on defense, and then taking advantage of his offense. Its not too bad of a plan. Offensively Martin had a pretty good season. Houston's problem is they need a superstar. 1970s level basketball analysis could tell you that. Its not easy to acquire one, and sometimes it just takes luck. But they're not in horrible shape going forward.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Dwight Howard still has a very small head.

And brain to go with it.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
His theory was that he had Ariza and Battier so they could guard the elite scorers while hiding Martin on defense, and then taking advantage of his offense. Its not too bad of a plan. Offensively Martin had a pretty good season. Houston's problem is they need a superstar. 1970s level basketball analysis could tell you that. Its not easy to acquire one, and sometimes it just takes luck. But they're not in horrible shape going forward.

Morey passed up the opportunity to get Rudy Gay if I'm not mistaken and has done nothing other than make Houston a lottery team. He's one of the worst GMs in the NBA who uses his advanced stats because he can't judge talent for shit.

Ace
04-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Lol those who said the Magic were better after the trade.

Sportstudi
04-16-2011, 08:02 PM
Dwight Howard still has a very small head.

And brain to go with it.

True. His 2nd and 3rd foul were stupid offensive fouls and the fourth (including the technical) was a dumb one on the defensive end. All of them absolutely unnecessary.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Morey passed up the opportunity to get Rudy Gay if I'm not mistaken and has done nothing other than make Houston a lottery team. He's one of the worst GMs in the NBA who uses his advanced stats because he can't judge talent for shit.

I'm not very impressed by Gay so I don't see the big deal there. I mean 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists :wow. Granted he finally started to play defense this year, but he's not that much better than Kevin Martin. Before Gay turned up his defense from awful to above average this year I would say he was worse or equal to Martin actually. Morey is a good GM. I'm not sure where you think he's made some awful decisions in the draft and passed up on superstars or something. But they've been average and he's certainly better than Chris Wallace who I remember you defending.

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Studying advanced stats obviously doesn't automatically translate to success as a GM or coach..however, there are obviously hundreds of examples of "regular" coaches and GMs that were horrible, too..

Most teams have advanced stats scouts nowadays, tbh..

Booharv
04-16-2011, 08:10 PM
Even Morey has said that he uses regular scouting in addition to stats based systems. Its not either/or tbh

Kyle Orton
I'm not very impressed by Gay so I don't see the big deal there. I mean 20 points, 5 rebounds, and 2 assists :wow. Granted he finally started to play defense this year, but he's not that much better than Kevin Martin. Before Gay turned up his defense from awful to above average this year I would say he was worse or equal to Martin actually. Morey is a good GM. I'm not sure where you think he's made some awful decisions in the draft and passed up on superstars or something. But they've been average and he's certainly better than Chris Wallace who I remember you defending.

Chris Wallace has built a better team than Darryl Morey so idk where that comes from.

LnGrrrR
Antoine Walker had a career 48.4 TS%. Anyone who studies advanced stats would have made him an end of the bench guy while O'Brien gave him the greenlight and encouraged his chucking. In his prime he was a 49% TS guy. Shooting threes is better than shooting twos if you shoot a high percentage from three and a poor one from two.

As I said in another thread... could Twoine have had a worse coach to encourage his bad habits? :lol

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 08:13 PM
I started the Dwight for MVP campaign, so you can close the door on that one. Also, :lol at acting like it's common knowledge when you here "Rose for MVP" by every major pundit.

HarlemHeat37
04-16-2011, 08:15 PM
I started the Dwight for MVP campaign, so you can close the door on that one. Also, :lol at acting like it's common knowledge when you here "Rose for MVP" by every major pundit.

I picked Howard for MVP before the season, tbh..you probably did too, though, we usually agree..

Cane
Dwight's the worst "best big man in the NBA"....ever.

HarlemHeat37
:lol Cane desperately trying to justify all his criticism of Dwight Howard over the years, hanging on to whatever he can..

LnGrrrR
That's a perfect example of why I can't stand Dwight Howard. He's a damn retard.

Brazil
04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
lol magic

Booharv
04-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Chris Wallace has built a better team than Darryl Morey so idk where that comes from.

Wallace is one of the worst GMs in NBA history :lol Stop and think for a minute if you really want to get into this.

Sisk
04-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Both of these teams are a fucking joke

Cane
04-16-2011, 08:18 PM
:lol Cane desperately trying to justify all his criticism of Dwight Howard over the years, hanging on to whatever he can..

Your post sounds like the desperate one. However Dwight still has the same weaknesses he's had throughout his career like poor foul management, lack of versatility offensively (handles, lack of range, etc), poor IQ, and lack of mental toughness. The game's still within reach though and he is young.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Wallace is one of the worst GMs in NBA history :lol Stop and think for a minute if you really want to get into this.

There's nothing to get into. Darryl Morey's team has gone from lottery to lottery since he became GM, Chris Wallace meanwhile has more than doubled Memphis's win total since becoming GM.

Brazil
04-16-2011, 08:20 PM
So which idiot is going to say Dwight has no offensive game now?

Well he has an offensive game but he is a retard

Budkin
04-16-2011, 08:23 PM
It's embarrassing to be a Magic fan. Just look at the box score for the Magic. Looks like it's two on nine out there. Pathetic.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 08:31 PM

They were 3 games ahead of Houston this year, 3. Besides I know you don't like advanced stats but win loss record is way too simple tbh. Unless you think Mitch Kupchak is some kind of basketball guru. I already tried discussing the Gasol trade with you here: http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156872&highlight=nostradamus&page=2 But between drafting Mayo over Love, trading the best big man in the world for his fat little brother, giving the max to a fat alcoholic Vin Baker in boston thus tying up Boston's cap space for years, trading Joe Johnson and a number #1 pick for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk, picking Joe Forte over Tony Parker, and spending $21 million on Darko, he makes Morey look like Red Auerbach imho.

Giuseppe
If we fail:::Gasol for Howard?

TampaDude
Chicago is going to assrape the winner of this series.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 08:34 PM
Win-loss record is way too simple? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He has built his team around guys who can close games. Morey has built his team around TS% studs who inflate their stats for 3 quarters then fall off once the defense tightens up.

He was a disaster of a GM in Boston, but he's been a decent GM in Memphis. The Gasol trade appears bad now but he wasn't trading the hard nosed Pau who posts up and plays defense, Gasol was unmotivated and lazy in Memphis. Call it luck or whatever you want, but up to this point, the end result for Wallace in Memphis is better than the end result for Morey in Houston.

TE
04-16-2011, 08:35 PM
Chicago is going to assrape the winner of this series.

TBH, I think Chicago as the first seed has probably the easiest pathway to a finals since 2000.

Pacers :lol
Magic/Hawks :lmao
Celtics/Heat (only competition to a finals appearance :lol)

Zelophehad
04-16-2011, 08:40 PM
Win-loss record is way too simple? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. He has built his team around guys who can close games. Morey has built his team around TS% studs who inflate their stats for 3 quarters then fall off once the defense tightens up.

He was a disaster of a GM in Boston, but he's been a decent GM in Memphis. The Gasol trade appears bad now but he wasn't trading the hard nosed Pau who posts up and plays defense, Gasol was unmotivated and lazy in Memphis. Call it luck or whatever you want, but up to this point, the end result for Wallace in Memphis is better than the end result for Morey in Houston.

Wallace is hard to rate in Memphis because Heisley is clearly calling the shots on some of the moves (Randolph, Thabeet, etc.).

Red Hawk #21
04-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Finally we get a little revenge on the guys who always own us.

PS- Dwight Howard is an absolute beast. He has 45 of Orlando's 90 points!

TampaDude
04-16-2011, 08:50 PM
Howard goes for 46 and 19 on 16-23 shooting...holy shit!!! :wow

Too bad for the Tragic he and Jameer were the only ones doing anything tonight. Orlando ain't gonna win shit if that keeps up.

Budkin
04-16-2011, 08:54 PM
If we fail:::Gasol for Howard?

:lmao

Jerry West doesn't have any connections to the Magic.

DPG21920
04-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Great win for ATL. They looked much more focused and determined than they did in the regular season. Very smart strategy and lets see how they keep it up.

Jt.ONE
04-16-2011, 08:58 PM
lol magic, the only high seeder to lose today

Booharv
04-16-2011, 08:59 PM
Win-loss record is way too simple? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Anyone could agree that Chicago's front office has done an excellent job, but like I said earlier there is a lot of luck involved; they had a 1.7% chance to get the number one pick the year they got Rose. I haven't been a fan of his for MVP but without him they would have 47-50 wins maybe less. Most non-advanced stats guy would say even out of the playoffs. Would their front office suddenly be crappy then? Thats essentially what you're saying.

To get a superstar you need either luck to get a high pick, shrewd drafting (like when West acquired Kobe at 13), or some kind of desirable market/team. Two of those three are partially fluky.

He has built his team around guys who can close games. Morey has built his team around TS% studs who inflate their stats for 3 quarters then fall off once the defense tightens up.

I don't think Morey is some kind of superstar GM, but I disagree with how you're characterizing him as some kind of horrible buffoon. Also, from the times I've heard him on Simmons podcast he says he uses some proprietary situation based systems that he won't explain (he scoffed PER and other systems that reduce a player to a simple number score one time he was on there), so I don't know exactly what he does but he uses more than just TS% (see Chuck Hayes or Battier example who weren't acquired for their TS%). He did say one of his goals was to use a lot of the players he had to trade a for a superstar but he's failed at that.

pgardn
04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Dwight's the worst "best big man in the NBA"....ever.

I like this.

He is one of the most athletic big man of all time, already. But honest to God he would totally frustrate the crap out of me if I was a Magic fan. The most basic things for big men seem to totally escape him. He is so athletic I guess he can get away with so much he forgets some minor details.

Block out,
dont bring the ball back down to your hips so you can crouch for a thunder dunk

I will never forget how many times the Lakers stripped him in the playoffs. He has improved vastly over 2 years, but some basics still elude him.
Playing teams like the Hawks that dont have a center does not help him learn. But its too late for that anyway. Maybe if he gets injured and cant jump he will learn that skill is a valuable asset. He has added a few things to his game. But when stressed he reverts back to primal retardness.

Booharv
04-16-2011, 10:37 PM
Also to everyone jerking off the Joe Johnson he had 51 points total in last year's sweep versus Orlando. Lol blowing your wad over one game decent game.