PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Shooting 19 Percent Against Lakers

Solid D
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Duncan Shooting 19 Percent Against Lakers
Apr 12, 2011 4:16 PM EDT

Tim Duncan has scored a total of just 12 points on 5-of-26 shooting in three games against the Lakers this season.

“They clog it up inside,” Duncan said. “They do a good job challenging shots. With their length, they can do that.”

Duncan’s struggles against the Lakers could come into play if the teams meet in the playoffs.

“I expect Timmy to play at his best once the playoffs come,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He’s always done it. I don’t see why it would be different.”

Via Jeff McDonald/San Antonio News-Express
Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213006/Duncan_Shooting_19_Percent_Against_Lakers#ixzz1JLq ildgg

TMTTRIO
04-12-2011, 05:58 PM
Manu hasn't done much better either. That's the scary thing. If they close down two of our big three we're in trouble.

jeebus
04-12-2011, 06:02 PM
And with Bonner guaranteed to be a ghost in the playoffs, they can double Duncan.

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Tim Duncan doesn't sleep....he waits.

Merely waiting for the playoffs, that is.

MaNu4Tres
04-12-2011, 06:08 PM
“They clog it up inside,” Duncan said. “They do a good job challenging shots. With their length, they can do that.”

It's a shame the Spurs could do that as well by integrating Splitter (significantly).

Unfortunately, their coach rather spread the floor or go with a 6'7" center. :shootme

objective
04-12-2011, 06:09 PM
"Don't worry guys, MATT BONNER will be why the Spurs beat the Lakers. He stretches the floor and short, slow bigs like Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom can't rotate in time to cover him. Plus, he's been proven clutch in the playoffs, and never passes up open shots" -- 48 MoH writers

slick'81
04-12-2011, 06:12 PM
:wow:lol:nope

Solid D
04-12-2011, 06:18 PM
Immediate moves after the catch or off re-posts and he'll get a few more chances. If the Spurs can shoot on the move (a la OKC) and knock down shots, they'll do much better. Standing around relying on 3s is a bad idea.

Solid D
04-12-2011, 06:27 PM
Tim Duncan doesn't sleep....he waits.

Merely waiting for the playoffs, that is.

haha.

"his words carry weight that would break a less interesting man's jaw....he's won trophies for his game-face, alone....
he bowls overhand".....

Mugen
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
that's why he needs to hit the banker and the elbow jumper because he's going to struggle in the post against Gasol/Bynum's length.

I think the Spurs can beat LA without Duncan scoring 15+ and dominating.

But I don't think we have a shot if Manu is not playing like Ditka Manu.

Spurs da champs
04-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Sadly if we play the lakers in the WCF or even make it their; Timmy is gonna get neutralized by Bynum, too bad Splitter got hurt before the season started.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Immediate moves after the catch or off re-posts and he'll get a few more chances. If the Spurs can shoot on the move (a la OKC) and knock down shots, they'll do much better. Standing around relying on 3s is a bad idea.

dingdingding

Even at his current speed/athleticism, he has a great chance of scoring some easy buckets if he just catches and moves. Better chance of drawing a foul too. Every time he waits and does the 03-07 Duncan thing against the Lakers it ends in abject disaster.

Capt Bringdown
04-12-2011, 07:31 PM
I've long thought that our struggles against the Lakers in part start at the top: Pop and TD are scared shitless of the Lakers.

SenorSpur
04-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Solid take from Solid D

td4mvp21
04-12-2011, 07:43 PM
I've long thought that our struggles against the Lakers in part start at the top: Pop and TD are scared shitless of the Lakers.

I disagree with Duncan. I can't really blame Pop though, he gets outcoached every time. It's hard not to let that affect your mindset.

Splits
04-12-2011, 08:01 PM
Kobe shooting 25-70 for a 35.7% mark against the Spurs this season... not exactly lighting it up. TD only took 26 shots, compared to 70 jacks for Kobe.

Old School 44
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Another thing that would help TDs shooting percentage is if he stopped attempting that post up move where he turns over his right shoulder and puts the ball right in the face of the defense. Against teams with no length, it's sometimes effective. Against the Lakers its blocked or altered.

xtremesteven33
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
No doubt if any team has the Spurs number its the Lakers. They know how to beat the Spurs in a playoff series. At the same time the Spurs know how to beat the Lakers but dont have the resources to do it easily.

They can be beat and are vulnerable this year due to age and fatigue. Spurs need to play with confidence and toughness.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-12-2011, 08:15 PM
And with Bonner guaranteed to be a ghost in the playoffs, they can double Duncan.

beat me to it

its bad enough duncan at 34 has to dominate for this team but pop makes if fucking worse for duncan by putting that worthless piece of shit in there. i want pop to tell me who in the hell is going to guard bonner in the post even if he does get the ball wide open its not like hes going to do anything with it!! down there with bynum and gasol?

AND to make matters worse.. bonner all of a sudden thinks he can dribble and penetrate in T.P fashion against defenders???... shit! this guy makes me furious just thinking about his worthless ass :bang

what can we do to fix this ??? play the fucking 2nd best big on your team dumbass pop

Budkin
04-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Damn I remember when Timmy used to own the Lakers... even Shaq couldn't stop him.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Yeah now Shaq is a giant joke trying to coattail another ring.

All that matters is Timmy bringing his A+++ game this playoffs.

xtremesteven33
04-12-2011, 08:22 PM
Tim and Manu are not playing very hard. Come playoff time youll see Duncan more banging in the paint and dishing out some pain. Manu as well will be driving more to the basket in the playoffs.

Expect to see a different Spurs team in the playoffs. Spurs Big 3 will come out on fire. That is if Pop chooses to rest up until the playoffs

TMTTRIO
04-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Artest has always done a very good job of shutting down Manu and I don't expect that to change.

Jimcs50
04-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Duncan Shooting 19 Percent Against Lakers
Apr 12, 2011 4:16 PM EDT

Tim Duncan has scored a total of just 12 points on 5-of-26 shooting in three games against the Lakers this season.

Duncan’s struggles against the Lakers could come into play if the teams meet in the playoffs.

“I expect Timmy to play at his best once the playoffs come,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He’s always done it. I don’t see why it would be different.”

Via Jeff McDonald/San Antonio News-Express
Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Lakers, NBA

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/213006/Duncan_Shooting_19_Percent_Against_Lakers#ixzz1JLq ildgg

Oh well, it was a good year while it lasted

Sean Cagney
04-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Crazy, being he used to play so well against LA for all those years.

Cane
04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
The Lakers bigs have much younger legs and plenty of length to bother Duncan and really any big man.

But then again Duncan doesn't really battle in the post during the regular season and its also a decision made by the Spurs coaching staff especially for this season. Father time's undefeated after all. Duncan and the Spurs try to save his legs for the playoffs and he usually plays significantly better. As the playoffs nears you can tell that he's ready to play at a more intense level but those previous shooting numbers are still :depressed

ajh18
04-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow, there is keeping your expectations realistic, and then there's straight-up needing to grow a pair. This thread is so full of fans that need to man up and stop being scared of the Lakers, it's ridiculous.

Lakers are good, and the champs. They should be respected. But damn people, stop whining about how inferior we are to them. We have some definite advantages over the Lakers this year. At LEAST try and give balanced assessments instead of all gloom-and-doom. It's pretty pathetic, no wonder the AT&T Center is always full of purple and gold...

PublicOption
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
7AHvzskE6NQ

Spurs7794
04-12-2011, 11:06 PM
Crazy, being he used to play so well against LA for all those years.

I'm not 100% confident in him against LA this year but it was just last year that he had two monster games against LA. The first two games this year, he didn't look like he was trying. The last game, I think Bynum was right and that he quit which is dissapointing.