PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are hanging but it's painful to watch ...

Calispursfan11
04-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Dejuan continuing to go up among the trees and get blocked. He barely looks over 6-5 out there and it's painful to watch him squander all those second chance opportunities by putting up the double pump attempt resulting in a block 90% of the time. He should pass it out and reset for a decent second chance opportunity everytime unless he is wide open.

At one point before Bynum went down, he appeared to actually drop the shot over Dejuan's head and into the bucket like he was playing a big 5 year old. Sad.

Sofaking
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Blair has damn near a double double stfu

PÒÓCH
04-12-2011, 11:46 PM
It is sad, Blair looks fat and short out there. I agree w/ OP

Hooks
04-12-2011, 11:47 PM
At least Splitter looks good, he may actually get some PT.

itzsoweezee
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Blair is the Spurs best player this game. STFU.

itzsoweezee
04-12-2011, 11:52 PM
eat a dick, fucker

Man In Black
04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
He just needs to recognize when it's best to pull it back or step through with a better angle. He REACHES for shots sometimes.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 12:11 AM
If the Spurs FO weren't already aware as to what most us already know - that the Spurs frontline is smallish and needs a size upgrade - then this game serves as just yet another painful reminder.

dougp
04-13-2011, 12:12 AM
If the Spurs FO weren't already aware as to what most us already know - that the Spurs frontline is smallish and needs a size upgrade - then this game serves as just yet another painful reminder.

Or perhaps Pop should play some of our bigs off the bench. Our team isn't that small up front, just the rotation.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Or perhaps Pop should play some of our bigs off the bench. Our team isn't that small up front, just the rotation.

The only other big the Spurs have that has any kind of length or ability to defend the post, not named Duncan, is Splitter. And he's not enough.

I just hope this frontline gets a size upgrade over the offseason.

xellos88330
04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Splitters' offense looked good until the ball clanged off of the rim. I actually wanted Blair to stay in the game. That unit was really clicking.

dougp
04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
The only other big the Spurs have that has any kind of length or ability to defend the post, not named Duncan, is Splitter. And he's not enough.

Yes, let's completely ignore McDyess - that's right. He plays for the Mavs, right? And Blair can play the post - just not in the same way the others do.

Quit looking for reasons to bitch, and appreciate the team we've had all year - and hope to have for the playoffs.

TampaDude
04-13-2011, 12:30 AM
LOL Lakers barely beat our scrubs... :lmao

maddnezz
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
LOL Lakers barely beat our scrubs... :lmao
This! And talk about a confidence booster for our bench. Good job team!:toast

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 01:32 AM
He just needs to recognize when it's best to pull it back or step through with a better angle. He REACHES for shots sometimes.

Good point. He could be more effective once his basketball IQ improves by offensive rebounding and pulling it back, but I don't know how his defense can improve much. I hear Houston's Chuck Hayes, who is a similar size is an excellent defender at Center. What does he have that Dejuan doesn't?

NewcastleKEG
04-13-2011, 01:33 AM
As a Bulls fan it's been difficult to see the Spurs slowly decline from NBA Champion to 2nd Round disaster. Especially with it paired up with the Lakers dominance

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 01:36 AM
As a Bulls fan it's been difficult to see the Spurs slowly decline from NBA Champion to 2nd Round disaster. Especially with it paired up with the Lakers dominance

As a Bulls fan, I am sure you will get over it someday.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Yes, let's completely ignore McDyess - that's right. He plays for the Mavs, right? And Blair can play the post - just not in the same way the others do.

Quit looking for reasons to bitch, and appreciate the team we've had all year - and hope to have for the playoffs.

No one is suggesting a "waving of a white towel". It's not bitching, it's facing the realization as to some obvious deficiencies along the frontline. Deficiencies that have been exposed against teams like the Fakers, Grizzlies - and perhaps now even the Thunder, who have upgraded their frontline size.

Unless Pop elects to utilize Splitter more in the postseason, the Spurs will have trouble keeping some teams off the offensive glass and out of the paint. That, my friend should be obvious - even to you.

Man In Black
04-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Good point. He could be more effective once his basketball IQ improves by offensive rebounding and pulling it back, but I don't know how his defense can improve much. I hear Houston's Chuck Hayes, who is a similar size is an excellent defender at Center. What does he have that Dejuan doesn't?

That ability to recognize what's a good shot. Hayes knows his limitations, accepts them fully and then plays to his strengths like crazy. DeJuan is still part of that young generation that wants a highlight and wants attention. When DeJuan makes a mistake, you'll sometimes see him say, "My bad," or something to that effect. With Chuck, you look at his effort and all you can say is,"Good job." That's what I hope DeJuan accepts. If he does that, we got a career of 10 & 10 with sprinklings of 20-12 a few times a year.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
That ability to recognize what's a good shot. Hayes knows his limitations, accepts them fully and then plays to his strengths like crazy. DeJuan is still part of that young generation that wants a highlight and wants attention. When DeJuan makes a mistake, you'll sometimes see him say, "My bad," or something to that effect. With Chuck, you look at his effort and all you can say is,"Good job." That's what I hope DeJuan accepts. If he does that, we got a career of 10 & 10 with sprinklings of 20-12 a few times a year.

Excellent point.

Hayes is excellent a playing within himself and toward his strengths. He's outmanned every night, yet he never tries to be somethingg that he's not.

I guess in a way, it's "getting over oneself"...to borrow a phrase from Pop.

Cane
04-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I loved Blair's tackle on Kobe Bryant btw. Hard fouls like that are what the Spurs have been lacking all season!

Mel_13
04-13-2011, 11:06 AM

Excellent point.

Hayes is excellent a playing within himself and toward his strengths. He's outmanned every night, yet he never tries to be somethingg that he's not.

I guess in a way, it's "getting over oneself"...to borrow a phrase from Pop.

Exactly.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Big Baby is another player of similar stature and limitations as Blair, but one who has found his niche. Blair would do well to emulate both him and Hayes.

widowmaker
04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
Dejuan continuing to go up among the trees and get blocked. He barely looks over 6-5 out there and it's painful to watch him squander all those second chance opportunities by putting up the double pump attempt resulting in a block 90% of the time. He should pass it out and reset for a decent second chance opportunity everytime unless he is wide open.

At one point before Bynum went down, he appeared to actually drop the shot over Dejuan's head and into the bucket like he was playing a big 5 year old. Sad.

What makes u more sad?? Bynum going out or that the lakers not getting pass the first round? Just a quick question. :sombrero:

senorglory
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
Blair seems to frequently leave his feet too early when he's going to the hoop. Anyone else see this? No? O.k., nevermind.

Go, Beast!

phxspurfan
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Blair is fine the way he is. Height isn't everything, look at Thabeet. Dude gets punked by Blair. And of course Sir Charles was no seven footer either. Plus I'm not sure if you guys see it the way I do, but Blair has a reputation as a rebounder already. A lot of Lakers surrendered rebounds to him just b/c they didn't want to challenge him.

crc21209
04-13-2011, 02:35 PM

It was our scrubs vs. their starters....:lol Chiiiilllll.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM

Good post, dude. Thanks for the info.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 03:20 PM
What makes u more sad?? Bynum going out or that the lakers not getting pass the first round? Just a quick question. :sombrero:

Buddy, I'm a Spurs fan. I hope the Fakers don't get past round 1. But I frear they will simply turn it on now. Listening to Reggie and Co., however, Kobe is really on the decline. I hope that is the case, although, on some level it will be sad when Kobe is no longer the destructive force we know and fear.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 03:22 PM
I loved Blair's tackle on Kobe Bryant btw. Hard fouls like that are what the Spurs have been lacking all season!

Quite true my friend, but I still don't think Blair is the enforcer we need. Bring back Bruce or Elie or even Kurt Thomas.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 03:27 PM

I am liking Tiago's game. Blue-collarish but effective. He deserves more playing time. I don't think he's as polished offensively as Blair, but he will be more effectivre defending the likes of Pau or Howard.

TimDunkem
04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
OP is clearly a moron. Splitter got rejected more than Blair did.

And where the fuck did OP get that "90% of his shots after a pump-fake get blocked" statistic from? Pump-faking allows you to neutralize your shot blockers. That's what you want him to do.

Calispursfan11
04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
OP is clearly a moron. Splitter got rejected more than Blair did.

And where the fuck did OP get that "90% of his shots after a pump-fake get blocked" statistic from? Pump-faking allows you to neutralize your shot blockers. That's what you want him to do.

This is more of a comment on Blair in general. And no, the stat is not technically 90%. Probably closer to 60% of all Blair's pump fake shots either get blocked or miss badly. I don't have hard support for that number either, just looks like he struggles and the pump fake does him little to no good, often resulting in getting packed. He just shouldn't put it up down there.