PDA

View Full Version : TexMex barbecue recipes

Slomo
06-06-2005, 04:20 PM
My old gas barbecue died on me last weekend after many years of faithful service. I ordered a new really good one and it's being delivered on Wednesday, so I need your help.

Any TexMex barbecue specialities you can recomend?

tlongII
06-06-2005, 05:18 PM
The babybacks at Chilli's.

CosmicCowboy
06-06-2005, 05:20 PM
I've got all sorts of barbeque recipes but you kind of lost me on the "TexMex" BBQ question...

hmmm...OK, I have one...Redfish on the half shell...(any coarse scaled white meat fish will work as well)...

Filet the redfish with the skin/scales on...place the filets skin side down over medium heat on the grill...cover the top of the filets liberally with Pace thick and chunky salsa...(I use "medium" heat)...close the lid...

The salsa will soak in down to the skin and then steam back up in the filets...when the filets get opaque and flaky pull off the fire and let them rest for about 3 minutes...cut the filets into serving size pieces with a sharp knife and serve them with the skin still on...just flake the bites off the skin...

This is an awesome way to do a great spicy grilled fish dish and virtually foolproof...

MiNuS
06-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Fajitas,these are beef skirts. Marinate them orange/lemon juice over night add salt & pepper and beer when cooking on mesquite charcoal.

Accompany with Corona's beer.

I recommend you look for a "Vicente Fernandez" greatest hits CD and you won't need to understand Spanish after your 10th Corona. Get the whole experience!

SPARKY
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
Not exactly Tex-Mex but I usually create a grilling sauce by taking a bottle of store bought barbecue sauce and mixing in:

lime juice from fresh cut limes
orange juice " " " oranges
lemon juice " " " lemons
liberal amounts of worcestershire sauce
fresh cut garlic
fresh cut onion bits
one bottle of Shiner Bock
liberal splashes of Tabasco
liberal amounts of fresh ground pepper

SPARKY has never had any complaints.

As for fajitas, I would marinate the skirt steak first in lemon, lime, and orange juice and then coat with some Fiesta brand fajita seasoning.

SPARKY also likes to smoke oysters in the half shell on the grill.

SpursWoman
06-06-2005, 06:57 PM
http://www.1stopfordogpictures.com/chihuahua/sigried2.jpg

TexMex barbeque?

First....tenderize with a mallet, then skin & debone.....

Gatita
06-06-2005, 07:21 PM
First off the gas grill has to go. Mesquité is the only way to go. :tu

Guru of Nothing
06-06-2005, 09:20 PM
First off the gas grill has to go. Mesquité is the only way to go. :tu

Yep.

Slomo, I think you are confusing barbecue-ing with grill-ing. Barbecue = Cooking with indirect heat (excepting some initial high-heat direct grilling for that char effect); grilling = direct heat.

Grill = small cuts of meat, like steaks, chicken breasts, burgers, dogs, etc.

Barbecue = large chunks of meat, like briskets and pork shoulders. I'd be very afraid to eat a grilled pork shoulder.

What was the question?

ETA: What I meant to say was, I don't think a gas "grill" lends itself to barbecuing (spellcheck THAT). Sincerely, Snob

Duff McCartney
06-06-2005, 09:32 PM
Barbecueing just involves smoke. So you can barbecue with a gas grill.

ObiwanGinobili
06-06-2005, 09:40 PM
no gas.
thats sacrilege. blasphemy i tell you.
gas grilling is the devil's work!
no way you can bar b que with that.

What you need is some mesquite wood.... wake up at 4 or 5 in themornign , and start the fire.. let it get hot enough and settled into a nice burn. then add your meat.
Fajitas - skirt steak, should take less than an hour.
Brisket - about 5 hours.

Here's a recipies for grilling (not BBQing) with a tex-mex flavor.

Buy Rib eye steaks that are at least 1 in. thick.
place on counter till room temp, marinate in limejuice, onion powder and 1 shot of tequila - for 30 min. Remove and hand rub a mixture of 1 part salt and 4 parts lemon pepper into meat.
Grill. (charcoal, gas leaves nasty flavor)
Also works for BBQ, just place in and cover. takes longer but meat is melt in your mouth good that way. Use a mix of oak and mesquite for best results.

Goes good with: Beer.

Summers
06-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Go to HEB and get the marinated fajita meat... :lol Sorry, just a little inside joke.

Guru is right... People who aren't from Texas confuse grilling with barbecue. :) Start a pot of beans the night before. Rub a brisket with salt and pepper and stick it in the pit before the sun comes up. Turn on the football game (or, obviously, in this case, the basketball game). Make potatoe salad during half time and 4 gallons of sweet iced tea. In the afternoon, throw a few drumsticks in the pit for the kids. Play Scrabble. Simple as pie.

Vashner
06-06-2005, 11:55 PM
I swear by my little fire starter chimney thing. Just put some paper and oil and no fuel. Some nice coals.

Ribeye's with montreal seasoning, stuffed peppers and cold beer to wash it down.

Kori Ellis
06-07-2005, 12:03 AM
Slomo, I think you are confusing barbecue-ing with grill-ing. Barbecue = Cooking with indirect heat (excepting some initial high-heat direct grilling for that char effect); grilling = direct heat.

Grill = small cuts of meat, like steaks, chicken breasts, burgers, dogs, etc.

Barbecue = large chunks of meat, like briskets and pork shoulders. I'd be very afraid to eat a grilled pork shoulder.

Maybe only in Texas. When I was growing up, there was no difference between the terms "barbequeing" and "grilling" -- either term could mean cooking small or large meat, either term could mean gas, charcoal, mesquite, or whatever.

GopherSA
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM
Wood is the only way to go. Now, if you're outside the southwestern US, there's a number of wood options for you. Hickory is great. Apple is great. Oak is OK.

We like to make a rub of Kosher salt, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Put it on the meat and rub it in. Let the meat sit at least overnight in the rub (this can't be accelerated!).

Place the meat on a smoker (indirect heat) and cook as long as you can stand it. The Kosher salt will help create a "skin" on the meat that will seal in the juices. The other items will add flavor.

GOOD BBQ DOESN'T NEED ANY SAUCE!

timvp
06-07-2005, 02:13 AM
Now what type of peppers we talkin' about?

:oops

travis2
06-07-2005, 07:00 AM
Wood is the only way to go. Now, if you're outside the southwestern US, there's a number of wood options for you. Hickory is great. Apple is great. Oak is OK.

We like to make a rub of Kosher salt, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Put it on the meat and rub it in. Let the meat sit at least overnight in the rub (this can't be accelerated!).

Place the meat on a smoker (indirect heat) and cook as long as you can stand it. The Kosher salt will help create a "skin" on the meat that will seal in the juices. The other items will add flavor.

GOOD BBQ DOESN'T NEED ANY SAUCE!

Be careful with hickory. It is good, but you can overdo it. Mesquite is a milder wood in that respect.

Taco
06-07-2005, 07:56 AM
I recommend you look for a "Vicente Fernandez" greatest hits CD and you won't need to understand Spanish after your 10th Corona. Get the whole experience!
:lmao

Vicente is da Man!!!!

Don't forget to sing this part

"'Y volver volver, volver a tus brazos otra vez, llegare hasta donde estes
yo se perder,yo se perder, quiero volver, volver, volver.'"

(way back when, they used to play this at the Hemisfair Arena for the Baseline Bums @ the Spurs Games)

And here is the most important part don't forget to throw in a big "GRITO" at the end!!!!:lol
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000063KQD.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Steve Perry
06-07-2005, 08:05 AM
http://www.texascook.com

I use wood from a pecan tree when I smoke my briskett. If your not using wood your grilling it's not called Bar B Q

unless you live outside Texas.

Slomo
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the recipes - I'll let you know how they work out.

Barbecue vs. Grill? Never heard that distinction, but I'll take your word for it and remember that in Texas There's a difference :)

Barbecue is all about smoke so you can not really tell the difference between a good gas barbecue vs. a godd charcoal one. If you want a distinct flavour you have to "flavour" the smoke. A few chips of your favourite type of wood should do.

BTW I hate to break this to you but Mesquite is not really very easy to come by over here :lol

Gatita
06-07-2005, 10:18 AM
BTW I hate to break this to you but Mesquite is not really very easy to come by over here :lol

I thought that would be a problem.... oh well good luck anyway. :lol

I can always send you some. :)

AlamoSpursFan
06-07-2005, 10:33 AM
I swear by my little fire starter chimney thing. Just put some paper and oil and no fuel. Some nice coals.

I'll have to get one of those. Mrs. ASF bought me some of this green Eco Start crap that I thought would never work in a million years, so I used it just so I could tell her what an idiot she was for buying it and for some unknown reason, it works like a charm! It's a gel so it sticks to the wood better than liquid and it lights instantly and burns long enough to get a good fire going in the smoke box.

SWC Bonfire
06-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Slomo, I guess you figured out that hardwood is the smoker's friend. There is a variety of oak here called a "post oak" that is pretty good, it has a very large grainy texture for an oak and can be less dense than a live oak or some of the heavier "red" oaks. Any "white" oak would probably work. Walnut may be too heavy & strong.

Here's a crazy thought, it might work: can you get some old white oak wine barrells, that had a red wine aged in them? That might make an awesome flavor. No guarantees on that, though.

Can you get a brisket in Slovenia? I ask because I know Texans abroad who have to order them.

FYI, for most people posting on this forum, most of the "hickory" briquettes you get in Texas are actually pecan. I know this for a fact.

mouse
06-07-2005, 11:12 AM

You have pay pay? I can make sure your smoking tonight :smokin

http://www.boomspeed.com/woaimouse/a-4.jpg

maybe you should smuggle some in your pants when you visit san Antonio

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe only in Texas. When I was growing up, there was no difference between the terms "barbequeing" and "grilling" -- either term could mean cooking small or large meat, either term could mean gas, charcoal, mesquite, or whatever.

that used to be the way it was....over the years...people have started making distinctions.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't get the hate for gas grills...the cheap gas grills suck but I have one of the big Webbers that I use all the time for steaks, sausage, chicken, pork loins, etc...It does just as good a job (or better) as charcoal or wood...

Slomo
06-07-2005, 12:08 PM
I don't get the hate for gas grills...the cheap gas grills suck but I have one of the big Webbers that I use all the time for steaks, sausage, chicken, pork loins, etc...It does just as good a job (or better) as charcoal or wood... This is the one I'm getting tomorrow:
http://www.weber.com/bbq/img/gg_gen_gc_lg.jpg

Guru of Nothing
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Tips From the Guru (http://www.bbqu.net/mantra.html)

Whatever you do, always remember:

Keep it hot
Keep it clean
Keep it lubricated

Same goes for your grill.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
ahhh...very nice Slomo...you are gonna love it...the Webers cost more up front but the quality is definitely there...and you can get replacement parts and keep rebuilding them...mine is probably 15 years old and I since I use mine a lot I replace the burners about every five years...when I replaced the flavorizer bars last time I went with stainless and they should last forever....

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
Tips From the Guru (http://www.bbqu.net/mantra.html)

Whatever you do, always remember:

Keep it hot
Keep it clean
Keep it lubricated

Same goes for your grill.

hehehe...I never clean mine except for the grill itself...when it gets really dirty I will fire it up on high till the temp gets up to about 750...then pop the lid...it will usually light off down in the pan and I just let it burn off...

Slomo
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
Thank you Guru - these are words to live by :lol

I had a really good one from Canada, but after many years of use I needed to repair a few things and it was impossible to find any spare parts for it in Europe. I knew the Weber brand name from the US and after checking it's probably the only gas barbecue that you can easily find spares anywhere in Europe (they even have a SLO dealer!).
They do cost more, but the materials they are made from and the availability of spares should make it a good purchase.

Steve Perry
06-12-2005, 12:20 AM
so how did your meat come out?