PDA

View Full Version : Tiago is exposed!!!!

CP48107
04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
I had such a high hope about how Tiago will help the team comes playoff. My hope is totally shattered. Against Gasol and Odom (no Bynum), he couldn't even get a position for rebounding. Blair, on the other hand, had 10 rebounds. I had a rude awakening tonight.

4>0rings
04-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Playing time exposed him.

xtremesteven33
04-13-2011, 12:22 AM
Splitter showed good things today. If you actually saw the game you would have noticed that. He showed toughness and an ability to get in good positions on defense. Hes not polished enough offensively but we already knew that.

His defense alone is much needed on this team though. And tonight he showed hes capable of holding his own.

DontStopBelieving
04-13-2011, 12:23 AM
Thought he played some good D overall..

His offensive game is shit, but didn't we already know this?

DesignatedT
Splitter was great on the glass tonight... You are focusing on the wrong areas.

BanditHiro
op probably just saw the box score.

Holden_Caulfield
04-13-2011, 12:25 AM
you sir, is an idiot.

vander
04-13-2011, 12:26 AM
Gasol had his way with Splitter, it was as bad as Bonner trying to guard Odom

ducks
04-13-2011, 12:26 AM
playing with duncan splitter would look better

Budkin
04-13-2011, 12:27 AM
You didn't watch the fucking game. It's obvious. Tiago had some good moves and looks and just didn't hit them. His defense, rebounding, and hustle were great.

Yorae
04-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Dude your brain (or lack of it) is exposed!

Hooks
04-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Tiago played well tonight. Spurs don't need his offense, they need his DEFENSE as well as his intangibles. He drew 6-8 fouls (he drew 6 FOR SURE) and played pretty good defense as well. Nobody is going to stop Pau or Bynum, but they can force them into tough shots which is what Tiago did.

Budkin
04-13-2011, 12:31 AM
You've got to remember too that he only really started playing a couple of weeks ago, and still not even that much.

vander
04-13-2011, 12:32 AM
Tiago (-14) played well, showed some good things, it just didn't show up in the score. Bonner (+5) was terrible, was the main reason why we lost

silverblackfan
04-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Tiago was playing very good D. He took some strange shots and most did not fall, but we knew his offense is not strong. Even better, him and Blair showed some pretty good options against LA.
OP is high.

crc21209
04-13-2011, 12:39 AM
:lol What game were you watching?

DrSteffo
04-13-2011, 12:40 AM
Dude your brain (or lack of it) is exposed!

This. I checked the OP's posts. This summer he wanted Bogans back and thought Splitter must be bad because he played behind Varejao on the national team. :rolleyes

LakerHater
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
His back to the basket post gameis horrible!

ChuckD
04-13-2011, 12:41 AM
Yeah, he stiffed against the big boys. You can't post him up against like sized players and expect anything other than a block or wild shot off the backboard. Even though he got 8 boards, he was really marginalized in the paint, especially in the first half. He was fucking invisible. He did play better in the second half, but that could have been due to the absence of Bynum, who was sending his shit back or altering it when he was in there.

xellos88330
04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
Tiago was great on the glass tonight. He lost at least 4 rebounds due to Laker fouls on him. He had great position for rebounds. His defense was ok. He looks to be more of a help defender than a 1 on 1 defender.

04-13-2011, 12:42 AM
i don't really know why splitter was even hyped in the first place...

MI21
04-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Tiago was good on D, crashed the offensive boards which is huge in the playoffs. His defensive rebounding and finishing was not good.

Sidenote: If I see Pop play Bonner on Odom in the playoffs I'm going fly to San Antonio and scalp the fucker.

Odom only needs to do one of two moves against Bonner and it's automatic two points off the glass.

ElNono
04-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Tiago played good D on Gasol... really, he was the only guy that we could put on him and prevent him from draining jumper after jumper... his offense is terrible, but we knew that.

ElNono
04-13-2011, 12:47 AM
Sidenote: If I see Pop play Bonner on Odom in the playoffs I'm going fly to San Antonio and scalp the fucker.

Odom only needs to do one of two moves against Bonner and it's automatic two points off the glass.

And the foul...

ferg
04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
splitter 6 offensive boards

lakers 7 offensive boards

sounds like he was crashing the boards on the offensive end to me. defensively though he needs to polish up in the off season and work on his shooting! he'll be fine next year.

Capt Bringdown
04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Yeah, he stiffed against the big boys. You can't post him up against like sized players and expect anything other than a block or wild shot off the backboard. Even though he got 8 boards, he was really marginalized in the paint, especially in the first half. He was fucking invisible. He did play better in the second half, but that could have been due to the absence of Bynum, who was sending his shit back or altering it when he was in there.

Sadly, this summary applies to TD's play against the Lakers this year as well.
Nobody in the league has an answer for their frontline, you gotta beat them in other ways.

I thought Splitter held his own, some of these comments including yours seem to be based on absurd expectations. Did you think Splitter would come in and dominate? At least he put up a fight on D, unlike the "take everything you want" play of the turd towers.

CP48107
04-13-2011, 12:51 AM
You guys are right, he did play good D on Gasol. I should have more faith in him.

ShoogarBear
04-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Phew, I was afraid this was going to be another George Hill incident.

ChuckD
04-13-2011, 01:00 AM
splitter 6 offensive boards

lakers 7 offensive boards

sounds like he was crashing the boards on the offensive end to me. defensively though he needs to polish up in the off season and work on his shooting! he'll be fine next year.

How many of those O boards were with Bynum out? I'm guessing the majority of them. They pretty much shut him off the glass when Bynum and Gasol were in tandem.

The most important thing he needs to learn is that he cannot just go up into his hook shot in the NBA. He needs to body bump the defender just to keep him on the ground for half a second, and then quickly go into his hook with a bit of a fade. I've seen him do it once or twice after the AS break, but he seems to revert to just tossing up his weak ass shit at the worst times. I'd also like to see him stop waiting for boards to come to him, and be more aggressive about getting physical, getting low, and rooting out the opponent to get position.

Master splitter
04-13-2011, 01:02 AM
He'll do better on his home court. Trust me

ElNono
04-13-2011, 01:03 AM
He needs a lot of work offensively... his post up game needs footwork, his FT release needs a lot of work, he needs to finish pick and rolls with authority, he needs to get rid of some bad habits like the weak layups 2 feet from the rim, he needs a much higher release on the hook...

But if he can give us some minutes on D when Blair/Bonner are getting murdered, it will be ok... when we have Manu/TP/TD out there, we can score.

Josepatches_
04-13-2011, 01:04 AM
In the offensive end he's good enough.He's not TD but he's as good as players like Marc Gasol.
But he had missed the last touch he had in Spain.The moves aren't bad but he missed the touch and playing time is the problem in my opinion.Sure this is the NBA but he missed the touch with free throws too so it's not only about better big mens.

Splitter isn't stupid.He takes shots that he always made.I'm sure he'll make these shots when his confidence returns.

In the other side he plays very well the pick & roll but tonight we don't have Manu or TP.

Splitter isn't so bad in the offensive end.Book it!!

rmt
04-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Splitter's defense was good today - leaps and bounds ahead of seeing Odom drive to the basket against Bonner on every play. As long as he limits/affects Gasol's shots and closes off the lane when the opponent's perimeter players drive, he's done his job.

Nobody (even TD) is going to put up big numbers against Bynum/Gasol (except maybe Zach). Just try to control the paint defensively and let the back court score. If Splitter had TP or Manu pick and roll with him, he'd be able to score easier - can't expect to back down Gasol/Bynum and score.

With Bynum's injury, doesn't anyone think that they should have gone for the win in the 3rd when they were tied (TP was dressed). Better if they play Den or Por and better for SA to meet LA earlier before Bynum can come back from injury. By losing, LA will probably now get NO and then play DAL. SA will play a physical series against MEM and a brawl with OKC and if they get past them, have to go against a relatively well rested LA with Bynum back.

G-Dawgg
04-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Honestly Tiago played good defense (not outstanding, but good), he couldn't fight for a rebound, any rebound he grabbed was pretty much a gimme, he had absolutely no touch whatsoever from anywhere on the floor. A play stands out in my head where Tiago was lost in the offensive scheme and Neal got frustrated with him and just jacked up a 3 pointer from about a foot behind the 3pt line.

Splitter's hook shots suck and never go in. Why does he even bother. I cringe ever time he tosses up one of thse bricks. They look like shit and have very poor mechanics. Rather than taking the ball in his hand and extending the ball above his head, he seems to sweep his arm in an arc and just totally looks like he's hucking the ball toward the rim and hoping it goes it... :lol

Tiago looks like he needs alot of work. Popovich looks like he knows what he's doing but sitting Tiago. He needs to polish up a bit.

Splitter doesn't look that good...too bad. I was hoping he could help.

SA210
04-13-2011, 01:17 AM
Tiago was good on D, crashed the offensive boards which is huge in the playoffs. His defensive rebounding and finishing was not good.

You promise?

rr2418
04-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Tiago boxed out Pau and that enabled other Spurs players to get the rebound. It doesn't always have to be him who gets the reb.

SA210
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
I liked a lot of what i saw from Splitter today. I loved watching someone play some damn D in the lane. Yes he can work on some things, but I think we need him in the playoffs, THIS year.

SA210
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Tiago boxed out Pau and that enabled other Spurs players to get the rebound. It doesn't always have to be him who gets the reb.

TDfan2007
04-13-2011, 01:37 AM
This is all a moot point. He won't see a minute of playoff action barring injury to one of our bigs. I liked what I saw from Blair today offensively, but this team only has 2 players capable of guarding Bynum/Gasol, Splitter and Tim. Tiago played very good defense on Bynum and Gasol. He made them work.

His offense is just plain disgusting though. Not at an NBA level. He needs a productive offseason to develop a post game.

KaiRMD1
04-13-2011, 01:39 AM
He played good D but he just can't shoot the ball.

Splits
04-13-2011, 01:40 AM
At least Tiago's free throws aren't this bad:

H7P6eil2yds

Iverson calling for a travel is fucking hilarious.

mingus
04-13-2011, 01:46 AM

how did he stiff against the big boys? honestly, if Tiago weren't there, Gasol would've gone for 30-20.

TDMVPDPOY
04-13-2011, 01:50 AM
probably another jackass basing their own POV on stat sheet...gtfo

Spurs da champs
04-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Splitter was great on the glass tonight... You are focusing on the wrong areas.

This.

And Tiago was canceling out Bynum on the glass everytime they were matched up. He's our only hope for beating the lakers.

G-Dawgg
04-13-2011, 01:58 AM
This.

And Tiago was canceling out Bynum on the glass everytime they were matched up. He's our only hope for beating the lakers.

Omg. If this is that case then I hope the lakers get knocked out first round because Splitter is a wreck. His defense is good, but he's far from being the difference maker.

Man In Black
04-13-2011, 01:59 AM
I don't know what fucking game some of you watched but did anyone notice that while matched up against Bynum in the 1st quarter, that Bynum got ZERO Offensive Rebounds?

What about the 2nd quarter where Splitter drew Offensive fouls from Walton, Odom, Walton, Gasol, & Bryant? Add a steal from Fisher and an assist to Hill and 1 offensive board.

Again WTF were you watching?

TE
04-13-2011, 02:02 AM
Splitter fared well out there against arguably the best PF right now in the game.

gospursgojas
04-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Tiago cant shoot 3's and now the entire NBA knows it!

Splits
04-13-2011, 02:05 AM
I don't know what fucking game some of you watched but did anyone notice that while matched up against Bynum in the 1st quarter, that Bynum got ZERO Offensive Rebounds?

What about the 2nd quarter where Splitter drew Offensive fouls from Walton, Odom, Walton, Gasol, & Bryant? Add a steal from Fisher and an assist to Hill and 1 offensive board.

Yes, he was so awesome in all of those sequences that he put up an impressive -14 on 3-10 shooting.

phyzik
04-13-2011, 02:05 AM

This.

Splitter will never be an offensive force... Shit, I dont even know where some of you even got that notion from.

Its his defense that counts. Not blocked shots or rebounds or steals... Just hard nosed defense.

He played great tonight considering the limited ammount of play he has had for the entire season. Seriously... Add up all the total minutes he has played ALL SEASON... Take that into account at least.

I swear, some (most) of you are trying to look for the Next D. Rob and will ALWAYS be disapointed when a center doesnt reach that level.

jjktkk
04-13-2011, 02:07 AM
i don't really know why splitter was even hyped in the first place...

Spurs fans desperate for another bigman to play alongside Duncan. Go back and look at some old Mahimni threads on here.

phyzik
04-13-2011, 02:11 AM
Spurs fans desperate for another bigman to play alongside Duncan. Go back and look at some old Mahimni threads on here.

Someone gets it... You fuckers keep putting unatainable heights on these guys expecting another D. Rob....... It aint gonna happen any time soon, if ever.

If anything, Hold them up to the standards of Rasho or Oberto... That would at least be a little bit more fair.

jjktkk
04-13-2011, 02:11 AM
I like Splitter's toughness. Hes a solid defender. I actually think hes got a good hook shot, he just needs to get some air under it, so it doesn't constantly get blocked.

Splits
04-13-2011, 02:16 AM
I like Splitter's toughness. Hes a solid defender. I actually think hes got a good hook shot, he just needs to get some air under it, so it doesn't constantly get blocked.

It was only blocked once. That shit comes from such an awkward angle, very few people will be able to block it, not that they need to try because that ugly shit rarely goes in. At least release it above the shoulder, Tiago. That weak Euro shit won't succeed in the playoffs.

jjktkk
04-13-2011, 02:19 AM
It was only blocked once. That shit comes from such an awkward angle, very few people will be able to block it, not that they need to try because that ugly shit rarely goes in. At least release it above the shoulder, Tiago. That weak Euro shit won't succeed in the playoffs.

Its ugly, but he needs more arc to it. But Splitter's post moves are actually pretty solid. I'm anxious to see what his post game looks like after a Summer working with the Spur's coaching staff.

Spurs da champs
04-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Omg. If this is that case then I hope the lakers get knocked out first round because Splitter is a wreck. His defense is good, but he's far from being the difference maker.

No you're wrong his size helps us with defense and rebounding. He defiantly helps us match up better.

Fireball
04-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Most of us agree here that Tiago played good defense. Rebounding wise his good boxing out led to many team rebounds in the first half (only one OReb for the Lakers) and some rebounds for Tiago himself in the second half. And Tiago drew many fouls.

Offensively he struggled which I expected without Manu or TP setting him up. But Tim Duncan did not light it up either against the bigs of the Lakers this year scoring 10 points in 3 games. Go figure ...

Man In Black
04-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Fuck man, people complain about Bonner's lack of D. It's not like with the Big 3 going for 20 each with their shot totals and couple that with the shots to go around to Hill, Neal, Jefferson, & Bonner, where is it that Pop needs any plays to be drawn up for Splitter?
Spurs ain't going to go Paul Westhead Denver Nuggets fast. There just ain't that many shots to go around. I don't give a fuck about plus minus scores or any of that. How many players on the Spurs this year was able to hold Bynum to Zero Offensive rebounds in a quarter?

SO WTF PEOPLE? The Spurs need 2 REAL Defensive 7 Foot Post Players and they got them in Duncan and Splitter.

will_spurs
04-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Yes, he was so awesome in all of those sequences that he put up an impressive -14 on 3-10 shooting.

Yeah, because offense is really the Spurs concern right now... put Tony, Manu or Tim in the game and Tiago will NEVER have to take these shots. We don't need another "offensive big" like Bonner who is useless on D. We need a big who can defend and Splitter is definitely the best guy on the lineup right now to put alongside Tim.

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-13-2011, 03:02 AM
like everyone else is saying ..please dont post if you didnt watch the damn game man c'mon ! ... tiago and blair did exceptionally well staying active without the ball, i can tell you that this game would have been so embarassing if pop was still benching the poor guy full games...

tiago did as good of a job as you can on gasol, points will be made my friend.. but IF YOU WATCH THE GAME you will see that most of his points were made with good defense by tiago..

the thing that sucks is how easy they can score right over blair if they get position :( i thought this game was more of a win than a loss.

i mean our bench guys hung in there "in l.a mind you" and fought with the most dominate team in the nba this is a BIG for tiago and the other guys who stepped up. i noticed pop's little bitch wasnt in the fourth running away from the ball

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-13-2011, 03:09 AM
i loved tonights game, i thought about us guys who call bonner "fools gold" ..u guys remember when he made a really cool three only to be driven on by lamar odom and with bonner defense allowing an "and 1".... seconds after he made his worthless 3. ladies and gents =Fools gold

Buddy Holly
04-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Tiago in my opinion:

Good-Very Good = Defense

Ugly-Needs Work = Offense.

G-Dawgg
04-13-2011, 03:24 AM
People Tiago is ok, but he is not that good. He is NOT a difference maker and you wont convince me otherwise. The only way I'll think different, is if I see him consistently play well with my own eyes.....

Stop hoping that he's going to do more for the team and accept it for what it is. What you see is what you get.

I'm not saying he wont be good, I'm just saying he isn't that shit-hot right now...as far I'm concerned he'd a bust..a big disappointment.

As if I was soooo excited to see him play. All last summer I couldn't wait for the season to start.
I can't believe I got so excited over a player as shitty as him.
-TRUE STORY

He's a bust
I'd rather have that no-name Omer Asik scrub in Chicago than this dude.
..f'n homers......geez

ChumpDumper
04-13-2011, 04:24 AM
A disappointment tonight.

mingus
04-13-2011, 04:36 AM
Kareem coined the sky hook. Splitter coined the hip hook.

Rummpd
04-13-2011, 04:41 AM
If he had had Duncan next to him a lot of his seeming errors would have gone away - he is surely not perfect and needs to work on his FTs but overall has been more consistent than Blair - who by the way can also be very effective for stretches (but for all our sake not with Bonner!) as long as he does not try to be come a primary scoring option!

ChumpDumper
04-13-2011, 04:42 AM
lol seeming

++SaiNt TiAg0++
04-13-2011, 05:09 AM
exactly^ @rummpd

where on here does it say that tiago is part of the big three? no i think his offensive game is better than what he showed tonight.. i mean think about out it pop has thrown this guy to the sharks w/out attempting to ease the guy in with minutes, they are so irregular and stupid.

and then all of a sudden hes starting against the lakers? if bonner is soo damn good and knows the system so fucking well why doesnt he have enough faith in him to start???? makes no sense period when evaluating his lineups.

anyway tiago now realizes theres no time to try and work your way in because if you dont play like your fighting for your life then you wont see the court again! i mean bonner can do whatevef hes got a tim duncan do what you feel card and anyone else is ready to get nailed to the cross.

tiago is soo unreliable that pop relies on his defense to keep the game from becoming a joke right? to me i now believe pop knows he should be playing tiago with td but is addicted to the red bitch.

@mingus hip shot was really bad tonight :lolhey people no one is saying hes tim duncan but i am saying HELL YEAH HES A DIFFERENCE MAKER

especially if pop gave him time to play with the starters, that is if bonner can come out of the game for a few seconds!! if tiago played with ;manu, tim, and tony you bet your ass they wouldnt collapse on tiago the way they did tonight.

in fact thats exactly whats going to happen to duncan if bonners in the game. pop is even being forced to keep bonner out in the fourth uhhh ohh:nope looks like pop isnt getting bonnerd tonight

ChumpDumper
04-13-2011, 05:11 AM
He does have a built in excuse if he ever plays badly.

ogait
04-13-2011, 07:00 AM
Couldn't watch the game.
Read the whole thread and still have no idea if Tiago played any good.
Thank you very much for your insight Spurs fans !!

polandprzem
04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
:lol

tiago apologists

splitter looked overwhelmed and overmatched against the 2-time defending champs, even minus bynum

i was laughing at splitter's garbage on the offensive end, and grimacing as he was getting absolutely schooled by gasol on defense

crofl. gasol had 17, 17 and 5. oh yeah but splitter was 'boxing gasol out'

the only good thing i saw him do was draw a charge on kobe at the end of the 1st half

wow!!!! he drew a charge against a guard. brilliant. that sure threw kobe off his game...

crofl. thanks tiago homers! yall made my day with your ignorance of american basketball :)

Tbh Tiago looked better then Timmy against LA tbh

My honest opinion

TIMMYD!
04-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Bunch of idiots in here. What the fuck do you expect Splitter to put up in order for you to stop complaining? 20-20? He's not that type of player but he will go out there and put up a fight defensively which is all that we need from him especially with our high powered offense. Hell, we should be happy that he has even been given an opportunity.

G-Dawgg
04-13-2011, 07:12 AM
People gotta get off of Tiago's schlong... he kinda sucks.

Last year it was Mahinmi and Hairston. Now that they're gone everybody has to try to get on this Tiago Splitter trip..its retarded.

You guys are pure homers, its embarassing.

JonNOKC
04-13-2011, 07:22 AM
did anyone say anything about Bonner - spread was about Splitter - and if you watched the game you know he played pretty well especially in the first half - not sure why people want to be so negative towards one player to try and make their guy look better, especially in this case where they dont truly paly the same position and are totally different types of players.

Bonner is clearly the better shooter and has better knowledge of the Spurs system - Splitter is clearly a better defender but is still learning the system while also adjusting to the NBA

JonNOKC
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
eh, splitter didn't play like he was a better defender than bonner

he got faced again and again and again

It's one game - Splitter played best in 1st half - anyone who has watched games this year and thinks Bonner is the better defender (outside of Splitter not rotating as well as Bonner at times) is a complete idiot. I am not a Bonner hater, last night was exactly what you want out of Bonner - 20 minutes and high pct shooting

It was one game against very good bigs and I thought Splitter hustled and competed - didn't play good but if you really think he played poorly then your expectations are way off. Splitter offense at this point is gonna be hit and miss and at least he was aggressive trying to score in the post as was Blair - obviously Pop told the bench guys to be aggressive and gave them some rope - the result of that was at times poor shot selection.

If I was giving a grade to Splitter it would be C (maybe C+ when you consider lack of PT this season) - I thought the main thing Splitter needed to do last night was work earlier in the possession to not give Gasol deep position - as he will score on any Spur big if he gets deep post position - the other thing was at times Splitter committed too much to help on a driving guard giving Gasol open jumper or allowing him to roll to basket for easy shot

Fireball
04-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Again ... Duncan was horrible this season against the Lakers ... no reason to dump Tiago because of his first bad (only offensively) game in the last weeks ...

elbamba
04-13-2011, 09:05 AM
I think Tiago drew two offensive fouls on Bryant. His defense was solid. Gasol is a better player but Tiago showed he can play and be effective. LA did not penetrate as well when he was in the game. Imagine if it were Tiago and Duncan or Tiago and Dice, that would be a difficult paint to score in.

underdawg
04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
People gotta get off of Tiago's schlong... he kinda sucks.

Last year it was Mahinmi and Hairston. Now that they're gone everybody has to try to get on this Tiago Splitter trip..its retarded.

You guys are pure homers, its embarassing.

You're almost correct in your comparison - I think a lot of folks (including myself) wanted to see some more playing time for Mahinmi and Hairston last year just as I'd like to see more of Tiago this year because of the same reason - needed improvement on defense.

I never remember anyone posting anything to the effect that Mahinmi, Hairston or even Tiago (who is in a much higher tier of player than Ian or Malik) ever doing more than fitting a need for defense - that's all. You clowns keep trying to twist the facts and say that people were comparing Ian and Tiago to David Robinson need to get perspective.

The Spurs defense has declined dramatically in the past 4 years - to say that improvement is not needed is probably more emabarassing than Tiago homers.

hater
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Tiago was arguably our best big out there.

We lost the game because of Dick Jefferson's stupidity

Brazil
04-13-2011, 10:06 AM
thats a contender for worst thread of the year

Man In Black
04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
It's a team game and for all of those people who said Gasol got off, I'll argue that he didn't get all of that solely being defended by Splitter. Couple that with the fact that Tim didn't play at all and Novak and Bonner played rotating big and it's a surprise that Pau didn't go for 25 and 20. The Spurs bench team made Gasol play 40 minutes. Yeah...Tiago played like he was that "Milosh" cat in the American Airline Commercials...Milosh only wants to play for...
What game were you guys watching?

BRs.Ganso
04-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Splitter was great, not in offense, he did good hooks but miss lucky in some cases.

Obviously Splitter was bad in DEFENSIVE REBOUNDS

Because he was made the box, to other players pick the rebound!

DMC
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
It's been obvious all along that Splitter needs to work with real trainers to correct some fundamental problems, but he's incredibly agile and fast for his size, and he has great footwork. He also boxes out and doesn't watch the ball. He handles the ball really well for a big guy also. There are a lot of things about Splitter that are positive, but let's be real here; he hasn't played any real minutes in forever and you cannot expect him to come in against the defending champs with their overwhelming front court and dominate the glass. The Spurs hung with the Lakers pretty damn good. I recall the normal starters not doing so well at home against them in the previous game.

Bonner is worthless, although I did like his quick step back 3. He passed up too many open looks when it was obvious there was no better option.

Tiago will be fine.

rascal
04-13-2011, 11:15 AM
You're almost correct in your comparison - I think a lot of folks (including myself) wanted to see some more playing time for Mahinmi and Hairston last year just as I'd like to see more of Tiago this year because of the same reason - needed improvement on defense.

I never remember anyone posting anything to the effect that Mahinmi, Hairston or even Tiago (who is in a much higher tier of player than Ian or Malik) ever doing more than fitting a need for defense - that's all. You clowns keep trying to twist the facts and say that people were comparing Ian and Tiago to David Robinson need to get perspective.

The Spurs defense has declined dramatically in the past 4 years - to say that improvement is not needed is probably more emabarassing than Tiago homers.

Some people in here were comparing Tiago with Griffin before the season started and even saying Tiago would have a better year. Tiago was over hyped and still is. He is an end of bench type role player and won't play any big role in the playoffs. Relying on him to fill a defensive big role in the playoffs is failure.

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 11:19 AM

You may as well pencil two points with this matchup. Bonner slow feet, when compared to Odom, makes Odom look like Tony Parker.

xellos88330
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
How many of those O boards were with Bynum out? I'm guessing the majority of them. They pretty much shut him off the glass when Bynum and Gasol were in tandem.

The most important thing he needs to learn is that he cannot just go up into his hook shot in the NBA. He needs to body bump the defender just to keep him on the ground for half a second, and then quickly go into his hook with a bit of a fade. I've seen him do it once or twice after the AS break, but he seems to revert to just tossing up his weak ass shit at the worst times. I'd also like to see him stop waiting for boards to come to him, and be more aggressive about getting physical, getting low, and rooting out the opponent to get position.

Like I had said earlier, a few of the Laker fouls on him were early in the game while Bynum was still out there. He was getting some great position.

Horse
04-13-2011, 12:36 PM
If he can call Oberto and do exactly what he used to I like our chances. He DID not get pushed around and he stuck his nose right in there, I loved that. He needs to rebound and play D. Only shoot open layups from the pick and roll. I think he can make a difference. But Tiago please don't shoot that hook ever again.

widowmaker
04-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Splitter showed good things today. If you actually saw the game you would have noticed that. He showed toughness and an ability to get in good positions on defense. Hes not polished enough offensively but we already knew that.

His defense alone is much needed on this team though. And tonight he showed hes capable of holding his own.

Thanx for pointing that out, some of these guys sound like laker fans talking down on the team. Anybody that has a clue about what this team has done all season would know that splitter doesn't start he comes of the bench and he went out there to do what he was sent out there to do.

Sofaking
04-13-2011, 02:50 PM

tiago apologists

splitter looked overwhelmed and overmatched against the 2-time defending champs, even minus bynum

i was laughing at splitter's garbage on the offensive end, and grimacing as he was getting absolutely schooled by gasol on defense

crofl. gasol had 17, 17 and 5. oh yeah but splitter was 'boxing gasol out'

the only good thing i saw him do was draw a charge on kobe at the end of the 1st half

wow!!!! he drew a charge against a guard. brilliant. that sure threw kobe off his game...

crofl. thanks tiago homers! yall made my day with your ignorance of american basketball :)
This

underdawg
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
Some people in here were comparing Tiago with Griffin before the season started and even saying Tiago would have a better year. Tiago was over hyped and still is. He is an end of bench type role player and won't play any big role in the playoffs. Relying on him to fill a defensive big role in the playoffs is failure.

I don't think anyone was comparing his overall potential to Griffin's - maybe his potential as a rookie because of his european experience, but I don't know what they said.

Relying on him as defensive help might not be ideal, but I don't understand what options are better - do you have one?

I think some Spur fans are in for a shock once the Spurs are challenged by decent defensive effort - the Spurs will have a hard time scoring and will also have a hard time making stops. The regular season will probably prove to be a mirage - I just hope I'm wrong.

Hemotivo
04-13-2011, 04:01 PM

:wakeup

Hemotivo
04-13-2011, 04:02 PM
he need better hands

FuzzyLumpkins
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Like I had said earlier, a few of the Laker fouls on him were early in the game while Bynum was still out there. He was getting some great position.

Yup i thought he did a great job holding position against Bynum. There was a time where Bynum got right in the middle of the paint but Tiago also forced him to pass out of the post a couple of times.

Gasol on the other hand scored at will against him it seemed. Then again it was the first time he saw Gasol whose game is based on quickness and finesse. It was an invaluable learning experience for Splitter.

FuzzyLumpkins
04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
he need better hands

It helps when you get passes above your shins.

eric365
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Playing with Parker and Ginobili would make Splitter look better. Not Duncan.

He can't create his own shot (we already knew that) and his best offense all year has been on the Pick & roll with TP and Manu.
Yesterday there was no creator at all, only some scorers...

redskinfan
04-13-2011, 05:31 PM
All I know is that before Bynum went out he (Bynum) was not dominating the glass as he was doing for past month or so.

duncan228
04-13-2011, 07:14 PM
Hit the link for the whole piece.

Why facing the Lakers was good for Splitter (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/13/why-facing-the-lakers-was-good-for-splitter/)
Jeff McDonald

...“It was a good class on how to play against them,” Splitter said before the team’s charter plane left for tonight’s season finale in Phoenix. “I’m think I’m learning how to play them, how to defend them, how to attack them.”

.... Splitter showed some skills that could be useful in a playoff series against the Lakers, particularly his footwork and activity on the defensive end.

His poor shooting numbers, meanwhile, can be at least partially attributed to play fish-out-of-water on offense. At this point in his career, Splitter still appears far more comfortable finishing pick-and-rolls, as opposed to playing with his back to the basket in the low block.

...“Some days, you don’t know why, but you feel more comfortable playing in the post,” Splitter said. “Other days, you feel more comfortable in the pick and roll. Today, I wasn’t lucky with my shots.”

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/13/why-facing-the-lakers-was-good-for-splitter/

SA210
04-13-2011, 08:32 PM
Humbert Cervera is an idiot.
http://clipsyndicate.com/video/playlist/20531/2374655?wpid=9898

LakerHater
04-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Gassed after 4 mins! http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif