PDA

View Full Version : Spurs at Suns Previews

duncan228
04-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Game is Wednesday, 9:30 CST.

Wednesday: Spurs (61-20) at Suns (39-42) (http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/12/wednesday-spurs-61-20-at-suns-39-42/)
Jeff McDonald

...Spurs close regular season looking to sweep series from Suns for first time since 2003-04...Spurs are 11-6 this season on the second night of a back-to-back.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/04/12/wednesday-spurs-61-20-at-suns-39-42/

TampaDude
04-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Gonna be just like tonight...scrubs in for the Spurs. They can beat the Suns with the scrubs.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Pop better rest em again.

ElNono
04-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I would be sitting Neal too after watching Noah and Bynum go down (even if they recover)...

Mugen
04-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Any thought in Pop's head of playing the Big 3 tomorrow should have been erased as soon as Bynum went down.

Don't get cute Pop.

polandprzem
04-13-2011, 01:29 AM
Pop said that TD gonna play

Don't know about Gino TP and DYESS

duncan228
04-13-2011, 01:46 AM
San Antonio (61-20) at Phoenix (39-42) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011041321)
Tipoff: 10:30 pm EDT Wed Apr 13, 2011
TV: KENS, FSAZ
By Santosh Venkataraman

Last season, the Phoenix Suns swept the San Antonio Spurs out of the playoffs. It’s quite a different story this year.

The Spurs are headed to the postseason as the Western Conference’s top seed while the Suns are closing out a poor campaign Wednesday night at home.

San Antonio (61-20) still has something to play for in its finale, since it’s tied with Chicago for the best record in the NBA. If the teams are tied after Wednesday, a random draw will decide which team would have home-court advantage in a possible NBA finals meeting.

It’s unclear how important that is to San Antonio, which rested starters Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Antonio McDyess in Tuesday’s 102-93 road loss to the Los Angeles Lakers. Coach Gregg Popovich, though, indicated that those players will all likely return against the Suns (39-42) in order to avoid any rust before the playoffs begin.

“It’s a back-to-back, and I’d rather play (Wednesday) and not have such a long time before the weekend,” Popovich said. “(The reserves) got some experience. I’m happy with what they did.”

Richard Jefferson was the lone regular San Antonio starter to play. The Spurs kept the game close throughout, and were tied with 5:56 left.

“I think it showed the character, the heart that we have, and we’re a pretty deep team,” guard George Hill said. “We tried to give the best effort we could, and that’s all you can hope for. All of us thought we could win. That was our whole motive going into the game.”

Phoenix was a step away from reaching the finals last season after eliminating San Antonio in the conference semifinals. The Suns lost to the Lakers in six games, though, and after trading Amare Stoudemire to New York in the offseason will finish with their first losing record in seven years.

The Spurs have won all three meetings with the Suns this season, limiting Phoenix to 33.3 percent shooting on 3-pointers. Jefferson has led the way with 19.0 points per game in the season series while Duncan has added averages of 17.7 points and 12.0 rebounds.

San Antonio, which hasn’t swept four regular-season meetings from Phoenix since 2003-04, has shot 50.2 percent against the Suns in 2010-11.

Phoenix survived a poor defensive effort in Monday’s 135-127 overtime win over Minnesota, which shot 54.7 percent and outrebounded the Suns 45-35.

“Good win, but we weren’t very good defensively,” coach Alvin Gentry said. “Obviously, we gave up 65 points in the first half and they shot 62 percent.”

Channing Frye set a Suns regular-season single-game record with nine 3-pointers after going 1 for 10 over his previous three games. He finished with a career-high 33 points.

“Tonight I’m just happy the ball went in,” Frye said. “My teammates did a good job finding me.”

Team Stat Leaders

Steve Nash Pho 14.8

Rebounds
Tim Duncan SA 8.9
Marcin Gortat Pho 7.8

Assists
Tony Parker SA 6.6
Steve Nash Pho 11.4

Team Comparison
Team Record Standings PF PA Road/Home Streak L10

San Antonio 61-20 1st Southwest / 1st West 103.7 97.9 Road 25-15 Lost 1 4-6
Phoenix 39-42 2nd Pacific / 10th West 105.0 105.9 Home 22-18 Won 1 3-7

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2011041321

Fireball
04-13-2011, 02:45 AM
Starters will play first and third quarter ... maximum of 20 minutes each ... then prepare for the Grizzlies

duncan228
04-13-2011, 03:05 AM
Phoenix Suns season ends with matchup against San Antonio Spurs (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/04/12/20110412phoenix-suns-season-ends-against-san-antonio-spurs.html)
by Paul Coro
AZ Central

..."Knowing San Antonio, remembering what we did last year, they'll probably play everybody," Suns power forward Channing Frye said. "But we like it that way. We want to continue to play and leave it out there because this is an opportunity for us to play and go out there and have fun. You never know when is the next time we'll all be together like this."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/04/12/20110412phoenix-suns-season-ends-against-san-antonio-spurs.html

Spurs score victory for consistency (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/04/12/20110412san-antonio-spurs-score-victory-consistency.html)
by Bob Young, The Heat Index
The Arizona Republic

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2011/04/12/20110412san-antonio-spurs-score-victory-consistency.html

Giuseppe
04-13-2011, 03:16 AM
One time, Suns. For Pappy.

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Game will be live in ESPN here in Brazil

I hope Pop rest the big 3 again

Brazil
04-13-2011, 09:57 AM

I don't know, I think Pop should play his POs lineups for about 20 - 25 mn. Spurs are not usually not good after loosing rythme for long period.

We need to ready and sharp for the first PO game.

Mel_13
04-13-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't know, I think Pop should play his POs lineups for about 20 - 25 mn. Spurs are not usually not good after loosing rythme for long period.

We need to ready and sharp for the first PO game.

I'd guess that was the plan when they left for the road trip and that's what we'll see tonight.

Brazil
04-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I'd guess that was the plan when they left for the road trip and that's what we'll see tonight.

I agree that would be the right thing to do

shelshor
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.nba.com/news/referee.html
Referee Assignment
Wed. Apr. 13
San Antonio @ Phoenix: Bennett Salvatore; David Jones; Derek Richardson

Budkin
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM
We have to have this game to have a 50 50 shot at the coin toss.

hater
04-13-2011, 10:44 AM
it's fucking pathetic the home court of the finals could be decided on a coin toss

Budkin
04-13-2011, 11:04 AM
it's fucking pathetic the home court of the finals could be decided on a coin toss

What's pathetic is that we lost 6 games in a row. We could have had this thing wrapped up a week ago.

Dex
04-13-2011, 11:12 AM
What's pathetic is that we lost 6 games in a row. We could have had this thing wrapped up a week ago.

:depressed

Dex
04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Oh well, at least this kinda keeps a small fire lit under the team's ass. Complacency creeping in shouldn't be a problem. One last game to work for here, then a good rest before the playoffs start.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 11:17 AM
i don't agree with playing any of the Big 3 tonight. I understand the rust factor but honestly these guys have been playing with each other for almost 10 years and it's not like they're not practicing. Even if they were rusty in the first game of the playoffs, it would probably by gone by halftime.

I would hate for any of them to go down with injury in a pretty much meaningless game. There's a very slim chance that SA/CHI meets in the finals anyways. The best we could hope for if we win this game is still a freaking coin toss.

Injury is also most likely to happen when guys are half-assing out there and trying not to get injured, which i'm sure will be the case tonight.

Brazil
04-13-2011, 11:40 AM
i don't agree with playing any of the Big 3 tonight. I understand the rust factor but honestly these guys have been playing with each other for almost 10 years and it's not like they're not practicing. Even if they were rusty in the first game of the playoffs, it would probably by gone by halftime.

Well we don't know how tough would be our first round against the Grizz. If we loose the first half it could be meant a 0-1 start of the serie which would lead to play an extra game in the first round.

So to me it is better to play 20-25 mn of the POs lineups to shake off the rust to start strong our serie against Memphis

Juggity
04-13-2011, 12:04 PM

That is a good point. We could've set a franchise record for regular season wins, too. That fucking Denver game and injury to Tim really screwed us over.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Well we don't know how tough would be our first round against the Grizz. If we loose the first half it could be meant a 0-1 start of the serie which would lead to play an extra game in the first round.

So to me it is better to play 20-25 mn of the POs lineups to shake off the rust to start strong our serie against Memphis

losing the first playoff game at home is always a good omen. :hat

DesignatedT
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
The more I think about it the more sitting the guys last night and playing them tonight makes sense. Play a normal game and use it to get ready for Sunday.

On another note, I know it's not announced but according to previous years do you think the Spurs as a 1 seed will play on Sunday or Monday when the playoffs start this weekend?

Budkin
04-13-2011, 12:28 PM
That is a good point. We could've set a franchise record for regular season wins, too. That fucking Denver game and injury to Tim really screwed us over.

Denver, Portland, Memphis, Portland, and then Houston again were all games that we were in control of and just choked on. It was disgusting. Obviously first Portland game was by and far the worst.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Playoffs start Saturday I believe. I'm pretty sure SA will play Saturday and the NBA will make sure Bynum has enough time to heal before the Lakers' first playoff game.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Denver, Portland, Memphis, Portland, and then Houston again were all games that we were in control of and just choked on. It was disgusting. Obviously first Portland game was by and far the worst.

I think the losing streak was a blessing in disguise.

This team was half-assing it since the All-Star break and thought they were good enough to coast, which they obviously they aren't. They needed a wake up call and they got it.

Also, it might have provided the only chance for Tiago to get any type of significant playing time this year. Thought I still have my doubts.

Even with that streak, things could have been a lot lot worse. We still got a chance at HC throughout.

With that said, that Houston loss really wasn't necessary. :lol

DesignatedT
04-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Oh you are right. It does start Saturday. Even better for me, now I can make game 1 for sure. It's either Sunday or a 8:30 pm start on Saturday since the Eastern conference already has 3 games scheduled for Saturday.

I hope it's not a day game sunday.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Oh you are right. It does start Saturday. Even better for me, now I can make game 1 for sure. It's either Sunday or a 8:30 pm start on Saturday since the Eastern conference already has 3 games scheduled for Saturday.

I hope it's not a day game sunday.

the league usually prefers to have the Lakers to have those Sunday afternoon slots. Doubt the Spurs/NO or Spurs/Mem will get it.

duncan228
04-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Steve Nash not seeing game as finale (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6346160)
By Marc Stein
ESPN

Phoenix Suns guard Steve Nash does not believe that Wednesday night's regular-season finale against San Antonio will be his last game in a Suns uniform.

"I'm not approaching it that way at all," Nash said by phone after the season's final morning shootaround. "I have no reason to believe that I won't be here next year. [Playing somewhere else is] something I really haven't even thought about."

Suns coach Alvin Gentry, for his part, echoes that approach.

Yet while Nash continues to insist that he will not push for a trade -- even after a season he openly describes as "very tiring, draining and disappointing" -- multiple sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that questions in the Suns' locker room about "what's going to happen with Steve," as one source described it, have been frequent as the season wound down.

Gentry nonetheless insists that management is clear about its desire to rebuild around Nash. Gentry also disputes the suggestion that a trade is looming before the start of next season that would turn Wednesday night into Nash's farewell to the desert. He has played for the Suns, who drafted him in 1996, for seven seasons since returning as a free agent in the summer of 2004.

"I don't think so," Gentry said. "I want him back, our franchise wants him back and I think Steve wants to be back. Obviously we have to make some changes to our team, but we would prefer for [Nash] not to be one of 'em.

"Steve is still playing at an incredibly high level. The only time he's struggled is when he's been physically hurt. He probably played 12 games where he shouldn't have even been out there. But you know Steve and what kind of competitor he is."

Keep reading... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6346160)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6346160

ace3g
04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
RealSkipBayless Skip Bayless
No problem w/ Memphis wanting Spurs instead of LA. But so BLATANT about tanking, sitting "injured" TAllen, Zach. Spurs have taken notice.

crc21209
04-13-2011, 03:36 PM
No problem w/ Memphis wanting Spurs instead of LA. But so BLATANT about tanking, sitting "injured" TAllen, Zach. Spurs have taken notice.

It is a cowardly way of handling things. I hope the Clippers tank tonight to screw the rival Lakers....

DBMethos
04-13-2011, 04:14 PM

I know I'd be pissed if someone was purposely tanking games to get a shot at me...I wouldn't be surprised if we blew out the Grizz in games 1 and 2.

timtonymanu
04-13-2011, 04:59 PM

Grizzlies just helping LA as usual. Fuck that franchise!

crc21209
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Grizzlies just helping LA as usual. Fuck that franchise!

The Clippers should fuck the Lakers over then by tanking tonight...

xtremesteven33
04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
The Clippers should fuck the Lakers over then by tanking tonight...

Now that would be fuckin awesome

Pauleta14
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Now that would be fuckin awesome

won't happen with these new Clippers, last games in front of their fans and want to finish on a good note...

duncan228
04-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Meaningless stats: Spurs are 8-6 in season finales under Gregg Popovich. They are 1-3 in seasons that produced an NBA championship.

duncan228
04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Pop: Spurs will return to normal starting lineup/rotation tonight in Phoenix.

Mugen
04-13-2011, 09:54 PM
Any thought in Pop's head of playing the Big 3 tomorrow should have been erased as soon as Bynum went down.

Don't get cute Pop.

Bump for Pop's motherucking stupidity. Stupid stupid fuck.

Spurs Brazil
04-13-2011, 10:13 PM

Good job Pop

Giuseppe
04-14-2011, 12:23 AM
One time, Suns. For Pappy.

All my love,

- Pappy