PDA

View Full Version : 5 Quick Takes on last night's game

SenorSpur
04-13-2011, 10:21 AM
The score be damned, I enjoyed watching this game. The subs played very well and should be commended for putting a competitive scare into the defending champs. Seeing as how the Spurs really had nothing to gain from this game, Pop made a very prudent and expected decision to rest his key players. Kudos. That said, here are five quick takes from last night's game:

George Hill was a huge disappointment in this game. With all the key players out, it was Hill who should've been the Spurs most aggressive and dominant player. Yet once again, he came up small in another road game. He is unable to execute the pick-n-roll, is terrible at creating shots for others, and his handle is still suspect. As the defacto point guard, he just didn't assert himself in that role. From the dumb fouls and ill-advised shots, he continues to demonstrate that he is incapable of being a "player" on the road.

As the only regular starter, and seasoned veteran, in the game, Richard Jefferson also had a chance to make his mark on this game as well. This was an opportunity for him to exhibit his slashing and scoring abilities, that he usually sacrifices, as a regular 4th option. With Manu and Tony out, I expected more of an aggressive approach from him. Instead, he laid back in his role as a spot-up shooter and allowed Gary Neal to be the dribble-drive play-maker in the half-court.

Speaking of Neal, while he has the ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the hoop, I don't know that he's the right guy to continuously slash and penetrate. He seemed to be forced into the role of handling the ball way too much in the half-court offense. Obviously, he's much better as a catch-and-shoot guy. Therefore I wonder whether Pop is saddling him with Roger Mason-like, ball-handling responsibilities? Especially when, at least for right now, he seems better off as a shooter. I also questioned why Pop elected to start him in the first place?

Speaking of starting Neal, I would've expected Pop to have started James Anderson, in place of Manu. Anderson would've provided a much better matchup against Kobe Bryant, than Neal was able to. Also he could've made Bryant work harder on defense. In doing so, this likely would've infused Anderson with more confidence and kept Neal in his familiar 6th man role off the bench, to probe and torch the Fakers reserves.

Really loved the production from both Dejuan Blair and Tiago Splitter. While he's still overmatched and is at a huge size disadvantag, Blair was active and can still picks spots where he can be effective. Of course, rebounding being his strength, he did a good job on the glass. Against this team, Blair is stilll better served playing against the Fakers reserves. Even though he didn't shoot very well, Splitter was just terrific. He works very hard to position himself under the glass for offensive rebounds. He worked really hard and seemed to be in the right place, at the right time. I still believe that he could be the "wild card" against this Fakers team, if the two teams meet again in the later rounds of the playoffs. And if Pop goes against his own instincts and elects to play him in the playoffs.

hater
04-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Dick Jefferson will take the Spurs to the grave

Mel_13
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Therefore I wonder whether Pop is saddling him with Roger Mason-like, ball-handling responsibilities?

Yes, he will saddle Neal with those responsibilities in every game in which Tony and Manu watch from the sidelines.

ajballer4
04-13-2011, 10:33 AM
I thought Neal and Anderson played great D on Kobe

Mugen
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Agree with all takes.

-Hill let Fisher eat his lunch and it was very disappointing. There is absolutely no excuse for George to not absolutely destroy Fish.
-JA is going to be a hell of a player next year if he stays healthy. Wasn't worried about all the gimmes he missed around the basket because those are a product of not getting enough time. He showed great athleticism and a willingness to defend.
-RJ should never ever guard Kobe. Kobe literally went around him with absolute ease.
-I thought Neal did a pretty good job defensively on Kobe. I think if you deny him the ball on the initial entry and force him to take long jumpers then that's pretty damn good.
-Tiago can absolutely play with Gasol/Bynum. Honestly, he's the Spurs best defender against either one of those guys, including Tim.