PDA

View Full Version : Classless Kobe....what else is new

arodz
04-13-2011, 12:52 PM
From Huffington Post:

In the middle of the third quarter of the Los Angeles Lakers' 102-93 victory over the San Antonio Spurs on Tuesday night, Kobe Bryant received a technical foul for continuing to argue with the referee.

As Bryant made his way to the bench, he was visibly upset and shouted a homophobic slur at referee Bennie Adams.

TNT cameras caught the five-time NBA champion clearly calling Adams a "f--king f--got."

Steve Kerr noticed and said that TNT "might want to take the camera off him right now, for the children watching."

On Monday, the NBA rescinded Bryant's 15th technical foul of the season.

Watch the Video:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/kobe-bryant-curses-ref-bennie-adams_n_848574.html

widowmaker
04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Yep saw it, not the first time not the last. That's why I don't like the guy. Great ball player but just a sorry excuse for a man. Can't wait for them to take the cameras off of him for good.

phyzik
04-13-2011, 01:02 PM
Yep saw it, not the first time not the last. That's why I don't like the guy. Great ball player but just a sorry excuse for a man. Can't wait for them to take the cameras off of him for good.

Oh please... :rolleyes

Dont get all high and mighty here.

I hate Kobe as much as the next person but dont pretend we all havnt said things like that, or worse.

DeadlyDynasty
04-13-2011, 01:04 PM

I hate Kobe as much as the next person but dont pretend we all havnt said things like that, or worse.

Exactly...I say the same thing to spurfans on here everyday.

We're all human

phyzik
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Exactly...I say the same thing to spurfans on here everyday.

We're all human

Just dont forget that we Spurs fans are the classiest fans in the nba.

Fpoonsie
04-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Kobe shoulda gone for the gusto...

G2nTbqbtGug

widowmaker
04-13-2011, 01:08 PM

Oh I have but I don't broadcast my shit through millions of tv sets. Calm down this is a talk forum I can say what I want, u don't like it look away.

Mel_13
04-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Oh I have but I don't broadcast my shit through millions of tv sets. Calm down this is a talk forum I can say what I want, u don't like it look away.

You can say whatever you want.

When you do, others can make whatever comment they please.

Chachachango
04-13-2011, 01:12 PM
None cares what Kobe says. We say faggot all the time. And kids are gonna learn and say bad words sooner or later

Crazymaddopeyo
04-13-2011, 01:17 PM

I've actually stopped saying that word. It's okay to call people out when they do use it. Of course this is the internet and people are safe behind their computers so they will talk shit to me now and probably use that word. That's just how it is.

YJnlPP7jm5s

Crazymaddopeyo
04-13-2011, 01:18 PM
None cares what Kobe says. We say faggot all the time. And kids are gonna learn and say bad words sooner or later

Doesn't make it okay.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 01:19 PM

I hope you're kidding with that rationale. Or you're just very ignorant.

Strike
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
I'm guessing Kobe wasn't insinuating that the referee takes it in the keister. Right or wrong, in his mind, it was no different than saying "fucking asshole".

Oversensitive pussies.

By the way, fuck Steve Kerr and his "for the children" comment. I'm sure he lets his kids watch all the shit on the news but would go ape shit over a tit slip during a halftime show.

We're all hypocrites in our own way. Pot and kettle, peeps.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-13-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm guessing Kobe wasn't insinuating that the referee takes it in the keister. Right or wrong, in his mind, it was no different than saying "fucking asshole".

Oversensitive pussies.

By the way, fuck Steve Kerr and his "for the children" comment. I'm sure he lets his kids watch all the shit on the news but would go ape shit over a tit slip during a halftime show.

Nobody is oversensitive, using the word "faggot" is the same as using the word "######" or "spic" it's a word used to keep a whole lot of people down because of what they are. Pretty ignorant stuff.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 01:28 PM

Except that it was different. 1) for the slur itself which is offensive to fags and more importantly, that 2) it was broadcast to millions of people including children, some which may look up to him.

I doubt you have a fucking clue what Steve Kerr let's his kids watch.

foodie2
04-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Nobody is oversensitive, using the word "faggot" is the same as using the word "######" or "spic" it's a word used to keep a whole lot of people down because of what they are. Pretty ignorant stuff.

This.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Obviously, it's a word meant to hurt a minority. Which is what assholes do.

hater
04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
lol at the faggots defending Bean Bryant.

The difference is we don't say shit like this in front of cameras that carry your image and voice to millions of children that look up to you. Not to mention the tens of millions of homosexual laker fans getting offended.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Is it possible he didn't say "f**king faggot", just "five rings, faggot!". Cuz that'd be cool if a Spurstalk meme went Hollywood like that.

Crazymaddopeyo
04-13-2011, 01:37 PM
lol at the faggots defending Bean Bryant.

The difference is we don't say shit like this in front of cameras that carry your image and voice to millions of children that look up to you. Not to mention the tens of millions of homosexual laker fans getting offended.

sigh

biggerspursfanthanu
04-13-2011, 01:39 PM

Oversensitive pussies.

Agree completely.

Cant wait for him to join up with wanda sykes and make a Gay ass commercial to show how bad he feels. Cause he looks like a real "16 year old boy with a cheesy mustache" right now. :rolleyes

duncan228
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Kobe Bryant's outburst under review by NBA (http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/sports/pro/basketball&id=8070759)
John Hartung

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Video of an apparent outburst from Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is under review by the NBA on Wednesday.

Frustrations were already high for Bryant and the Lakers on Tuesday night. They were riding a five-game losing streak and struggling against a San Antonio Spurs team that sat their three best players for a game the leakers needed to win to help their playoff positioning.

After being whistled for an offensive foul and then a technical foul during the third quarter, Bryant went to the bench and was visibly upset with referee Bennie Adams. The camera then caught Bryant directing what appeared to be a gay slur toward Adams.

The Lakers went on to win the game 102-93.

Bryant talked to the media after the win, but he was not asked about using the slur.

"We haven't seen the video, so it would be inappropriate for us to comment on it," the Lakers organization said in a statement.

The Human Rights Campaign pressed Bryant and the Lakers to address the issue immediately.

"What a disgrace for Kobe Bryant to use such horribly offensive and distasteful language, especially when millions of people are watching," the organization said in a statement.

The Lakers are in Sacramento for Wednesday night's regular season finale against the Kings.

The NBA is reviewing the tape from the game. A fine appears likely, and there's a possibility of a suspension for Wednesday night's game.

The league should issue its response later on in the day.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/sports/pro/basketball&id=8070759

widowmaker
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
You can say whatever you want.

When you do, others can make whatever comment they please.

Absoutly.

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM
Newsflash. Professional athlete uses bad words when frustrated. Spurstalk outraged!

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Newsflash. Professional athlete uses bad words when frustrated. Spurstalk outraged!

People shouldn't have to wonder if they can let their kid watch a basketball game on TV.

DeadlyDynasty
04-13-2011, 01:54 PM
Just dont forget that we Spurs fans are the classiest fans in the nba.

:lol

easjer
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
I don't care for the use of 'faggot' as a derogatory term. It's inappropriate for the reasons already stated. But I'm not surprised by it, athletes are frequently caught swearing on national television. It's really unfortunate that he finds it appropriate to use that term in that way, no matter who was watching.

DJ Mbenga
04-13-2011, 02:13 PM
its just kobe trying to be like jordan.

crc21209
04-13-2011, 02:15 PM
:lol Just Kobe being Kobe, what's new? I caught it last night when it happened live, wasnt sure if others on here had caught it....

Old School 44
04-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Honestly, he should have been tossed with a second tech when he slammed the back of his seat and threw his towel to the ground.

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 02:32 PM
People shouldn't have to wonder if they can let their kid watch a basketball game on TV.

Athletes swear. Always have, always will. Deal with it or don't watch. The choice is yours.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 02:42 PM
Athletes swear. Always have, always will. Deal with it or don't watch. The choice is yours.

Wow. That is a great point. You should be a lawyer or something.

duncan228
04-13-2011, 02:54 PM
Kobe: “What I said last night should not be taken literally. My actions were out of frustration during the heat of the game, period..."

Kobe cont.: "The words expressed do NOT reflect my feelings towards the gay and lesbian communities and were NOT meant to offend anyone.”

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Wow. That is a great point. You should be a lawyer or something.

Glad I could help.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Glad I could help.

Go Spurs. :flag:

arodz
04-13-2011, 04:45 PM
I think the point of all this is that Kobe is the face of the NBA and he continually makes an ass out of himself. Yes, Timmy once told Joey Crawford "Fuck You", but he didn't call him a pillow biter.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I think the point of all this is that Kobe is the face of the NBA and he continually makes an ass out of himself. Yes, Timmy once told Joey Crawford "Fuck You", but he didn't call him a pillow biter.

I can't think of any other perennial MVP candidate that acts as childish and spoiled as Kobe.

easjer
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM

I swear too. A lot. My favorite word is fuck.

You are correct that many athletes swear. However, my greater issue (though that's giving it more credit than it deserves in my opinion) is his use of a homophobic slur to make clear his disgust for the ref. It's sad, to me, that he finds that an acceptable way to show disgust/anger/disappointment. The fact that 'faggot' jumps to his mind as insult to be hurled in the heat of the moment is the central point.

I find it unfortunate, in Kobe or anyone. National tv or not. It's disappointing in this day and age that people still think that homophobic terms are appropriate, just as it's disappointing when people refer men, especially athletes, as being pussies or walking vaginas or whatever other term for female genitalia one cares to use.

Does it happen all the time? Yeah. Do many of us say similar things? Yeah. Does that make it right or appropriate? No.

I'm glad he got called out. If Timmy D says the same thing, call him out too.

lefty
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Magic and Jordan are assholes as well

(dont get me wrong I hate Kobe)

Donkeybong
04-13-2011, 04:58 PM
The only reason this is an issue is because it's Kobe

Sisk
04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
I hate Kobe more than almost any player in the NBA.. but seriously.. who gives a fuck? Get over it.

Homophobic? I hate when people say this shit. Was the ref gay? If the ref was gay, I'd understand. If not, he's just saying faggot as an insult.

TampaDude
04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
The NBA just fined him $100K.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6344596

Of course, $100K is like a parking ticket for Kobe.

TampaDude
04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I hate Kobe more than almost any player in the NBA.. but seriously.. who gives a fuck? Get over it.

Yeah, especially because Kobe is the biggest faggot of them all. :lol

tp2021
04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6344596

Of course, $100K is like a parking ticket for Kobe.

Kobe once paid $4M to put an issue behind him.

slick'81
04-13-2011, 05:08 PM
lol dude thats what i thought he said when the camera zoomed in but i was like who the hell is he calling a F****t

Strike
04-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm surprised no one's posted a gif image of this yet. :wakeup

CubanSucks
04-13-2011, 05:12 PM
I'm not gonna play catchup in this thread, so all I gotta say is who gives a flying fuck!!?

this PC bullshit never ceases to annoy the living hell out of me

Strike
04-13-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm not gonna play catchup in this thread, so all I gotta say is who gives a flying fuck!!?

this PC bullshit never ceases to annoy the living hell out of me

This :tu

Sisk
04-13-2011, 05:14 PM

:rolleyes

Retarded.

In before being called a Stolidusphobe tbh

DMC
Pretty sure, after seeing the video a few times, he said "fuck your father"

LakerHater
Whos really offended? http://board.freeones.com/images/smilies/dunno.gif

... the faggots? :lol

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
The only reason this is an issue is because it's Kobe

Actually there's two reasons.

1. It's kobe.

2. It got caught on tape.

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Pretty sure, after seeing the video a few times, he said "fuck your father"

Pretty sure he didn't seeing as how he's already apologized for using a homophobic slur.

itsamanuthree
04-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I've actually stopped saying that word. It's okay to call people out when they do use it. Of course this is the internet and people are safe behind their computers so they will talk shit to me now and probably use that word. That's just how it is.

YJnlPP7jm5s

+1

It's just a stupid clichê I no longer use.

CubanSucks
04-13-2011, 05:29 PM

YJnlPP7jm5s

+1

It's just a stupid clichê I no longer use.

http://www.myspacehippo.com/files/comments/congratulations/MShippo3792.jpg

coyotes_geek
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
I swear too. A lot. My favorite word is fuck.

You are correct that many athletes swear. However, my greater issue (though that's giving it more credit than it deserves in my opinion) is his use of a homophobic slur to make clear his disgust for the ref. It's sad, to me, that he finds that an acceptable way to show disgust/anger/disappointment. The fact that 'faggot' jumps to his mind as insult to be hurled in the heat of the moment is the central point.

I find it unfortunate, in Kobe or anyone. National tv or not. It's disappointing in this day and age that people still think that homophobic terms are appropriate, just as it's disappointing when people refer men, especially athletes, as being pussies or walking vaginas or whatever other term for female genitalia one cares to use.

Does it happen all the time? Yeah. Do many of us say similar things? Yeah. Does that make it right or appropriate? No.

I'm glad he got called out. If Timmy D says the same thing, call him out too.

Fair enough. Kudos to you for feeling that way. That being said, as commonly as that word gets used on this forum, I'm having a hard time believing that this thread is more about what got said than it is about who said it.

itsamanuthree
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
http://www.myspacehippo.com/files/comments/congratulations/MShippo3792.jpg

Thank you... Iee guess

crc21209
04-13-2011, 06:04 PM
:lol Kobe is going to appeal his fine! He was quoted as saying "Damn, How am I supposed to buy Vanessa her jewelry now?"

Death In June
04-13-2011, 06:07 PM
1IFloXOuLgA

The easily offended need to get over people co-opting the word 'faggot.'

DesignatedT
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Is Bennie Adams gay or something? Who gives a fuck..

rr2418
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
The impression I get whenever Kobe complains is like, "Hey refs, do you all know who I am? I'm Kobe! I shouldn't get called for fouls period!!". That's what irritates me the most!

I Heart Ginobili
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I dont see what all the fuss is about. I highly doubt gays would be watching a basketball game in the first place, im sure theres probably sex and the city on or something

ploto
04-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Surely, someone at Yahoo was having fun with this headline:

The star's choice of words during a game angered a gay rights group and sparked an NBA probe. :wow

itsamanuthree
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I get the point shown by the comedian in the clip, although I think there're tons of words he can use instead. But, anyway, I got it. Now what is completely different is this discriminatory and homophobic post:

I dont see what all the fuss is about. I highly doubt gays would be watching a basketball game in the first place, im sure theres probably sex and the city on or something

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
My concern isn't really how much of an asshole Kobe is and what words he uses. I have a problem if I want to sit down and watch an NBA game with my kid and have to explain what "fucking faggot" means and that's it's not appropriate.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
My concern isn't really how much of an asshole Kobe is and what words he uses. I have a problem if I want to sit down and watch an NBA game with my kid and have to explain what "fucking faggot" means and that's it's not appropriate.

And by the way, for 99% of the population, using language like that at work would probably result in being fired. Not being fined an insignificant portion of a million$ + salary.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Slap on the wrist, tbh. It will do nothing to stop athletes to say HEY REF YOU'RE A FUCKING FAGGOT during the playoffs

Giuseppe
04-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Kenyon Martin called Cuban the same thing and nary a peep was heard about it.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Exactly.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Yeah. But it was Mark Cuban.

But seriously, it wasn't broadcast on TV was it?

ploto
04-14-2011, 04:30 PM
I have a problem if I want to sit down and watch an NBA game with my kid and have to explain what "fucking faggot" means and that's it's not appropriate.

Then, never go to a game and sit anywhere near a bench. NBA players and coaches say all kinds of offensive things, and if you watch closely, you can even read their lips on TV. I think the NBA is headed down a slope if they intend now to fine every player who gets caught saying anything offensive because someone always hears it or sees it.

ploto
04-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah. But it was Mark Cuban.

But seriously, it wasn't broadcast on TV was it?

9jgxlPfSr-0

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Then, never go to a game and sit anywhere near a bench. NBA players and coaches say all kinds of offensive things, and if you watch closely, you can even read their lips on TV. I think the NBA is headed down a slope if they intend now to fine every player who gets caught saying anything offensive because someone always hears it or sees it.

I'm not talking about going to the game. I understand that's a different situation. I'm strictly talking about television. And I can read lips on TV and I can also make out the language under the backboard when someone says a bad word. Not to be a pollyanna but I would like to be able to watch a game on TV with my 10 year old and not have to worry about explaining what "fucking faggot" means.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
9jgxlPfSr-0

Was that the actual broadcast?
If so, I have the same problem with that. Although it's slightly different because Martin isn't being hyped as one of the faces of the NBA.
Plus, it was Mark Cuban.

ploto
04-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Although it's slightly different because Martin isn't being hyped as one of the faces of the NBA.

So, which player says it determines whether or not you have an issue with it??

ploto
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM
I would like to be able to watch a game on TV with my 10 year old and not have to worry about explaining what "fucking faggot" means.

I doubt your ten-year old read Kobe's lips and knew what he said.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
So, which player says it determines whether or not you have an issue with it??

I said I have an issue with both.

There aren't many people on here who I think are too stupid for me to argue with but you are one of them.

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM
I doubt your ten-year old read Kobe's lips and knew what he said.

I don't let her watch Laker games.
Unless they play the Spurs.

maddnezz
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM

this PC bullshit never ceases to annoy the living hell out of me I hear ya ,until they say it to your mom or your wife or your kid then.....look out! People are complex. And I thought fag meant cigarett just like punk is peice of dried wood and ass is a donkey in the bible and a bitch is a female dog and a cock is rooster and..........:lol

wontstartdumbthreads
04-14-2011, 04:58 PM
I hear ya ,until they say it to your mom or your wife or your kid then.....look out! People are complex. And I thought fag meant cigarett just like punk is peice of dried wood and ass is a donkey in the bible and a bitch is a female dog and a cock is rooster and..........:lol

Please stop or I'm not going to be able to let my kid read SpursTalk anymore.

maddnezz
04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Please stop or I'm not going to be able to let my kid read SpursTalk anymore.:lmaoU got me!

ManuBalboa
04-14-2011, 07:17 PM
The term is not really a remark towards homosexuals anymore. It's more of a demeaning term hetero's use to emasculate other hetero's they deem inferior.

Kamala
04-14-2011, 07:36 PM
That f*cking f*ggot called him a f*cking f*ggot?

Splits
04-14-2011, 07:41 PM
The most classless part of Kobe's act in this game was not his slur on the ref. It occurred right before halftime. He had just picked up his 3rd foul with like 30 seconds to play, and instead of going to the bench, he walked off the floor, by himself, and went straight to the locker room, as if to say FUCK YOU to his team. That is not only classless and selfish, that is the mark of a true asshole. No wonder his teammates hate him.

TheMACHINE
04-14-2011, 07:42 PM
was the referee gay? If not...isnt it like someone calling a black guy "chink". lol. Anyone really gonna get offended? hmmm something to think about...lol

TheMACHINE
04-14-2011, 07:43 PM
The most classless part of Kobe's act in this game was not his slur on the ref. It occurred right before halftime. He had just picked up his 3rd foul with like 30 seconds to play, and instead of going to the bench, he walked off the floor, by himself, and went straight to the locker room, as if to say FUCK YOU to his team. That is not only classless and selfish, that is the mark of a true asshole. No wonder his teammates hate him.

yup...so un-classy. And i know class.

howbouthemspurs
04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
he was always a dick!

koriwhat
04-14-2011, 09:09 PM
people are pussies these days... oh no kobe called someone a fag! who fuckin' cares!

DMC
04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Or option 3: The mark of a guy who knows he's the franchise.

Yorae
04-14-2011, 11:43 PM
Is it possible he didn't say "f**king faggot", just "five rings, faggot!". Cuz that'd be cool if a Spurstalk meme went Hollywood like that.

:rollin

Banzai
04-14-2011, 11:49 PM
blown out of proportion imo. what he said was wrong..but because he's Kobe Bryant..this is a big deal..if any average joe were to say that..would the Gay Lesbian council be after them? probably not.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
people are pussies these days... oh no kobe called someone a fag! who fuckin' cares!