PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plates

Das Texan
04-13-2011, 03:44 PM
This has just been bugging me for a while, so I figured I'd ask here and hope one of educated members here has an answer.

I have been seeing more and more cars driving around without the front license plates. Especially in North Texas.

Last I had known, this was a state law to have BOTH plates.

Is that not the case anymore, cause if you dont have to have them, I dont want them both :lol

Fpoonsie
04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I was pulled over recently w/o mine on the front, and was let off with a warning about it.

Apparently, it's still law, just not routinely enforced.

Fpoonsie
04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Double pizzost.

stretch
04-13-2011, 03:49 PM
yeah my wife just got pulled over yesterday for no front LP. just a warning

Das Texan
04-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Cops are funny.

I dont see why it wouldnt automatically be a ticket. Seems an easy way for them to make some extra cash for their little unmarked cruisers or for their new breathalizers they want to buy.

Its not like this is some new magical law on the books.

SpursWoman
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
I've gotten pulled over for it, too. Just got a warning.

Fpoonsie
04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Cops are funny.

I dont see why it wouldnt automatically be a ticket. Seems an easy way for them to make some extra cash for their little unmarked cruisers or for their new breathalizers they want to buy.

Its not like this is some new magical law on the books.

I'm wondering if it's not like gettin a ticket for not renewing your registration. Upon receiving the citation, as long as you get the renewal w/ in a certain amount of time, you can have the ticket dismissed.

Maybe the cops consider it not worth their time/effort, were that the case.

phyzik
04-13-2011, 04:34 PM
I'm wondering if it's not like gettin a ticket for not renewing your registration. Upon receiving the citation, as long as you get the renewal w/ in a certain amount of time, you can have the ticket dismissed.

Maybe the cops consider it not worth their time/effort, were that the case.

Im certain that is the case. Would you want to go to court if someone decided to fight a ticket you wrote for not having a license plate mounted?

Shit, sometimes they dont show up if you fight a speeding ticket. I had a few dismissed because of that.

DisAsTerBot
04-13-2011, 04:38 PM
one of those laws they use to pull you over and see if they can write you up for something more significant

Strike
04-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Exactly. I get pulled over at least once a month because I have a bad tail light. The trunk seal leaks and water ends up in the light assembly. As much as it rains in Oregon, it's not worth it to replace the bulb every couple days. Every time I get pulled over it's the same thing:

Cop: Do you know you have a tail light out?
Me: No sir, I had no idea.
Cop: License and registration please.
(I hand over my papers, cop comes back 30 seconds later finding no warrants)
Cop: You should get that fixed right away.
Me: Yes, sir.

admiralsnackbar
04-13-2011, 05:02 PM
one of those laws they use to pull you over and see if they can write you up for something more significant
May have been that way once, but front plates are important for busting people who are filmed breaking laws (e.g. on surveillance-equipped intersections or toll-ways).

Wild Cobra
04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't recall how long ago it was, but in Oregon, we used to only need the rear plate even though two were always issued. Took some time for everyone to get two plates on their cars after the law change.

Frenzy
04-13-2011, 05:17 PM
I got both. Not worried.

rr2418
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Why would a car not have the front plate, unless it was taken off. So the next question is, "why would you take the front plate off anyway?". Just wondering!

Dex
04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
My car doesn't have a place for a front license plate, nor will it allow to rest the license plate on the dash (like I'd really be doing that anyways). So, not really sure what I'm supposed to do.

I've also been stopped for this "law" before, and also got off with a warning.

It's apparently a law...they just don''t really care about it. However, I don't like cops having an easy excuse to pull me over whenever they want to.

Tinystarz
04-14-2011, 01:29 AM
My car doesn't have a place for a front license plate, nor will it allow to rest the license plate on the dash (like I'd really be doing that anyways). So, not really sure what I'm supposed to do.

It's apparently a law...they just don''t really care about it. However, I don't like cops having an easy excuse to pull me over whenever they want to.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/S_n37jOHaMI/AAAAAAAAChI/roGzjf8gbUQ/s1600/ducttape.jpg

Viva Las Espuelas
04-14-2011, 01:39 AM
^^ha. Exactly. They don't care how you mount either one of your license plates. Just do it!!!!!

phxspurfan
04-14-2011, 01:49 AM

The dealer mounted my front license plate by drilling holes in my front bumper. $40.

4>0rings
04-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Why would a car not have the front plate, unless it was taken off. So the next question is, "why would you take the front plate off anyway?". Just wondering!
People that are into cars. It's a MUCH MUCH cleaner look. Not all cars come with a front plate. Lots of vettes/firebirds/camaros did not come with them. They have a place for it but left it up to the owner.

Creepn
04-14-2011, 06:36 AM
People that are into cars. It's a MUCH MUCH cleaner look. Not all cars come with a front plate. Lots of vettes/firebirds/camaros did not come with them. They have a place for it but left it up to the owner.

Definitely a cleaner look. Some plates blocks the grille of the car which ruins the whole look.

Never got pulled over though. I figured cops give free passes to people with nice cars.

bus driver
04-14-2011, 08:53 AM
The dealer mounted my front license plate by drilling holes in my front bumper. $40.

:lmao

$40 to drill holes in your bumber :lmao

RandomGuy
04-14-2011, 09:21 AM
This has just been bugging me for a while, so I figured I'd ask here and hope one of educated members here has an answer.

I have been seeing more and more cars driving around without the front license plates. Especially in North Texas.

Last I had known, this was a state law to have BOTH plates.

Is that not the case anymore, cause if you dont have to have them, I dont want them both :lol

Our old car didn't have any bumper gaurds for the plastic frame that held the front plate on, and it was completely broken off in a minor fender bender.

We drove it around for about 5 years like that, and got numerous warnings from every level of law enforcement about it. Sherriffs, state troopers, city police, etc.

The plate was always in the trunk, and everything else like inspections and insurance was always up to date.

As long as you aren't unlucky enough to get a cop that remembers the first warning, it isn't that much of a problem.

The car was eventually used as a trade-in and we never got it fixed, although it would have been pretty easy.

RandomGuy
04-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Definitely a cleaner look. Some plates blocks the grille of the car which ruins the whole look.

Never got pulled over though. I figured cops give free passes to people with nice cars.

Yeah, nicer cars probably can get away with it. We got so many warnings because our car was an unrepentant POS. Ran well, but wasn't much to look at. :lol

God Bless the Ford Motor Company, the thing was over 300,000 miles when it passed out of our hands.

easjer
04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

Ditto. There were holes drilled, but - get this - they are too far apart. We couldn't mount the plates when we received them, so it's at home. It wasn't mentioned the only time I was pulled over in this car.

But that does remind me my registration is expired. Shit. Need to get that taken care of.

RandomGuy
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Ditto. There were holes drilled, but - get this - they are too far apart. We couldn't mount the plates when we received them, so it's at home. It wasn't mentioned the only time I was pulled over in this car.

But that does remind me my registration is expired. Shit. Need to get that taken care of.

Bailing wire.

CosmicCowboy
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
I look at it like..."why give law enforcement a reason to pull you over and have probable cause to roust you?" Oddly enough, it's the ones that should least like to get pulled over that tend to pull the front plate off so their cars "look better".

Wild Cobra
04-14-2011, 11:10 AM
Some cars have never had the nose drilled for a front license plate, and they look so much nicer that way.

Jimcs50
04-14-2011, 11:13 AM
I have not had a front plate on a car of mine in 10 years.

Dex
04-14-2011, 12:08 PM
some cars have never had the nose drilled for a front license plate, and they look so much nicer that way.

+1

TheManFromAcme
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM

Did you at least get a kiss?

:lol

phxspurfan
04-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Did you at least get a kiss?

:lol

...because you would have done it with your pocketknife and fashioned a mounting bracket out of scrap metal with your teeth

silverblk mystix
04-14-2011, 04:07 PM
I drove for many years in California and refused to put a plate in the front of any of my cars because I didn't like the look....never, ever got pulled over.

In Texas...I just placed the fuckin' plate after being pulled over a couple of times in the first month I was here....(didn't get cited)

Might as well comply if it saves you a hassle.

Chomag
04-14-2011, 04:56 PM
I drove for many years in California and refused to put a plate in the front of any of my cars because I didn't like the look....never, ever got pulled over.

In Texas...I just placed the fuckin' plate after being pulled over a couple of times in the first month I was here....(didn't get cited)

Might as well comply if it saves you a hassle.

I thought it wasn't illegal in the State California to not have a licence plate on the front. I know it is here in Texas, but I'm not sure how many others states have that state law.

silverblk mystix
04-14-2011, 05:22 PM
I thought it wasn't illegal in the State California to not have a licence plate on the front. I know it is here in Texas, but I'm not sure how many others states have that state law.

I think it's the same in Cali...but it never gets enforced as there are just too many cars on the road and the PD usually is busy with other stuff...so like speeding...you just get away with it because you can blend in easily and speed and get away with a lot of crap...

in texas...there are not as many lanes of cars and a LOT of police vehicles to catch speeders and other minor violations...

phxspurfan
04-14-2011, 06:07 PM
I think it's the same in Cali...but it never gets enforced as there are just too many cars on the road and the PD usually is busy with other stuff...so like speeding...you just get away with it because you can blend in easily and speed and get away with a lot of crap...

in texas...there are not as many lanes of cars and a LOT of police vehicles to catch speeders and other minor violations...

There are some towns where the cops don't have anything better to do, like Mountain View, where laws like that are enforced. I was pulled over, along with the guy in front of me, for having slightly too dark window tint.

I remember my uncle got pulled over in Shavano Park for a license plate issue...but I think it was for an out of state plate.