PDA

View Full Version : Idea for future playoff matchups

Old School 44
04-13-2011, 09:31 PM
With all the talk about Memphis tanking to meet the Spurs, and other teams tanking for more favorable matchups, what do you think about this rule change?

Once the regular season ended, instead of the current conference match ups of 1-8, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5, you let the number one seed pick whoever they want to play from 5-8. The second seed picks next from the remaining teams from 5-8, followed by the third seed picking from the remaining two teams and the 4th seed getting whoever is left from 5-8.

This is just for the first round. 1 and 4 will still be on one side of the bracket with their chosen opponents, with 2 and 3 on the other side of the bracket with their opponents. All remaining rounds, HCA will be determined by the seedings of whoever wins like it is now.

This would discourage tanking for playoff position. It would also add an interesting dynamic for the lower seeds knowing a team chose to play you.

Spurs 21+20+9=50
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I like it. I think I heard recently that the D-League just started that format. Or maybe it was minor league hockey. Can't remember.

DPG21920
04-13-2011, 09:45 PM
That has been suggested before and it's a cool idea. I just don't see them allowing that. But a coin flip in the finals is good enough!

Old School 44
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
I just think the number one seed should be rewarded with the best matchup by their choice versus having a lower seeded team influence the matchups by tanking.

DPG21920
04-13-2011, 10:27 PM
The logic is sound (which is not common around here). I just don't see them making radical changes like that. Even when it makes sense.

Old School 44
04-13-2011, 10:37 PM
The logic is sound (which is not common around here). I just don't see them making radical changes like that. Even when it makes sense.

Thanks. Yes, you have a point about the NBA making radical changes.
They will need to see a real obvious tank job to even consider it.