PDA

View Full Version : Are this year's #1 seeds the worst in NBA history?

tlongII
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
The Bulls #1 in the East and the Spurs #1 in the West? I would guess that Vegas would rate these teams as no better than the 3rd most likely to win their respective conference championships. I think you have to rank the Lakers and Thunder above the Spurs and the Heat and Celtics above the Bulls. Crazy.

Frenzy
04-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Media baby....media.

InRareForm
04-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Chicago Bulls +185
Miami Heat +165
Boston Celtics +425
Orlando Magic +805
Any Other Team +1615

To win eastern conference

Bito Corleone
04-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Tell me what you know about Cassowaries.

Zelophehad
04-14-2011, 10:08 AM
In 1994 the Hawks and Sonics were the number one seeds, and Seattle lost in the first round and Atlanta in the second.

Kyle Orton
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Yeah 1994 def. has them beat, but it is funny that neither #1 seed is anywhere close to the favorite to win its conference.

Giuseppe
04-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Yeah 1994 def. has them beat, but it is funny that neither #1 seed is anywhere close to the favorite to win its conference.

How the Hell can anyone take the Spurs serious after watching them the last two nights. Evn the Suns beat 'em like a rug. Pop couldn't figure out on the fly whether to hoist the white flag, or, go for it, so he did neither. He concentrated on the referees and crossed his fingers on the 3 point shots.:rolleyes

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Don't know, but most definitely they're the most classy

NRHector
04-14-2011, 10:40 AM
How the Hell can anyone take the Spurs serious after watching them the last two nights. Evn the Suns beat 'em like a rug. Pop couldn't figure out on the fly whether to hoist the white flag, or, go for it, so he did neither. He concentrated on the referees and crossed his fingers on the 3 point shots.:rolleyesobviously you are taking them seriously you've been watching them for 2 nights and worry about the outcome of the game

Killakobe81
04-14-2011, 10:50 AM
In 1994 the Hawks and Sonics were the number one seeds, and Seattle lost in the first round and Atlanta in the second.

Great point. Plus even though many people will argue they are not the favorites the spurs and Bulls are very good teams. they are also franchises with winning pedigrees.
So the OP fails here.

DMC
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
How the Hell can anyone take the Spurs serious after watching them the last two nights. Evn the Suns beat 'em like a rug. Pop couldn't figure out on the fly whether to hoist the white flag, or, go for it, so he did neither. He concentrated on the referees and crossed his fingers on the 3 point shots.:rolleyes
Let's be honest here: The Lakers almost shit the bed against the Spurs scrubs, and they gave up a huge lead to the Kings and had to go into overtime and play their stars 40 minutes in the final game of the regular season. This is after a 5 game losing streak to so so teams.

Neither the Spurs nor the Lakers have impressed as of late. It's almost always like this at the end of the season. New season starts in a few days.

Juggity
04-14-2011, 10:56 AM
How the Hell can anyone take the Spurs serious after watching them the last two nights.

I dunno, our bench looked pretty damn good against your defending champ starters lolol

Killakobe81
04-14-2011, 10:57 AM
That sonic team mentioned was stocked with talent. Definitely not Karl's finest hours they had two different stacked teams that should of stepped in to the Post Lakers western Conference void.

confession: when many Laker fans jumped on the bulls bandwagon or adopted the bulls as their "mistress team" during the mid 90's ...I hated the bulls. I did not want to follow the crowd so I rode with those sonics. GP, Detlef, Hawkins, Gill, Nate Ricky Pierce and the reign man in his prime. Fun-ass team to watch but their bball IQ was low.Going back further Ellis, XMan and Tom C. Plus Hakeem shitted on them even BEFORE Mutombo dug their graves a few years later.

DMC
04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
As for the OP, I think it's a product of power trades in the off season. When teams start off so slow, they cannot catch up to other teams that are on an even pace throughout the year. However, by the time the playoffs start, those power trading teams sometimes have what they need to win in a best of 7 series while the constant pace team is doing as well as they can.

Anyone who watches the TDF knows that sprinters and climbers are two different animals. Climbers almost always win the TDF, while sprinters settle for individual leg wins. Some teams are sprinters, some climbers.

Sean Cagney
04-14-2011, 01:53 PM

Beating the Spurs bench by 9, took them all game to as well! Going to OT with Sac! Great team there, nice showings in those last 2 games (Hell last 7 to say the least) :lol:lol. You should talk.

BTW T Long bitch about the seeds all you want, Portland seems to not be good enough every year to get a #1 nor near it.

TE
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Don't know, but most definitely they're the most classy
No one noticed this post?

It rings truly. :lol

TampaDude
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Chicago Bulls +185
Miami Heat +165
Boston Celtics +425
Orlando Magic +805
Any Other Team +1615

To win eastern conference

Vegas says Miami wins the East. Vegas is usually right. :toast

TheManFromAcme
04-14-2011, 03:06 PM
I dunno, our bench looked pretty damn good against your defending champ starters lolol

sooo....

what does that say about your starting 5 then?. A starting 5 that got man-handled on March 6th.

Is the bench better than your starting 5?

Which one is it?

TheManFromAcme
04-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Vegas says Miami wins the East. Vegas is usually right. :toast

Who does Vegas have winning the whole enchilada?

The Gemini Method
04-14-2011, 03:12 PM
It's been a while since both no. 1 seeds faced off in the Finals, so I don't expect it to end here. Don't know if they're the worst, but in one sport that had the worst no. 1 seeds was most definitely the NCAA tourney this year that's for sure...

JoeTait75
04-14-2011, 03:15 PM
That sonic team mentioned was stocked with talent. Definitely not Karl's finest hours they had two different stacked teams that should of stepped in to the Post Lakers western Conference void.

That Seattle team was legit. They just ran into a bad matchup in Denver and didn't respond to it very well, obviously. Had they gotten by Denver they very well could have won it all.

That Atlanta team, on the other hand, was garbage. They were lucky to get out of the first round and got beat soundly by Indiana in the second.

crc21209
04-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Yeah Yeah....But if the Blazers were the #1 seed they would be the best #1 seed in the history of all sports, right tlong? :lol

frodo
04-14-2011, 09:57 PM
just wait till it comes out the results of all 1st round matchups

dbestpro
04-14-2011, 10:07 PM
How many rings have the Bulls and Spurs won? Take away LA, Boston, Houston and Detroit with those two teams and the rest are synonymous with the Washington Generals.

xellos88330
04-14-2011, 10:54 PM

How can anyone take the Lakers series after O & 5, and barely being able to top a Spurs practice team and the Kings in an OVERTIME game?

rayjayjohnson
04-14-2011, 11:53 PM
wtf?

bulls are awesome. easy 1 seed.

Man In Black
04-15-2011, 12:57 AM
How many rings have the Bulls and Spurs won? Take away LA, Boston, Houston and Detroit with those two teams and the rest are synonymous with the Washington Generals.

Not really. Off the top of my head, the Heat won one in 2006. The Kings franchise has a title that was won in 1953 as The Rochester Royals. Anaheim is going to take on the Royals name.

The Washington Wizards has a title that was won during the late 70's as The Bullets.

The Golden State Warriors led by Rick Barry won a title in 1975. New York has 2 titles won in the early 70's. The Sixers have titles, the last one won in 1983 with Doctor J. Let's see the Oklahoma City Franchise has a title won as the Seattle Supersonics. I think that should cover it...I think.

benefactor
04-15-2011, 05:34 AM
The Bulls are legit. What makes people think a Celts team that is a shell of it's former self and a Heat team with shitty role players are any better?

dbestpro
04-15-2011, 06:39 AM
Not really. Off the top of my head, the Heat won one in 2006. The Kings franchise has a title that was won in 1953 as The Rochester Royals. Anaheim is going to take on the Royals name.

The Washington Wizards has a title that was won during the late 70's as The Bullets.

The Golden State Warriors led by Rick Barry won a title in 1975. New York has 2 titles won in the early 70's. The Sixers have titles, the last one won in 1983 with Doctor J. Let's see the Oklahoma City Franchise has a title won as the Seattle Supersonics. I think that should cover it...I think.

The Generals have won 7 games and lost over 13000 in their history so its pretty close.