PDA

View Full Version : A potential Lakers-Bulls finals series would be good for the league

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Now before you grey spurfans come in here and shout the Lakers suck and the Bulls are fodders, read the thread title. Now to my point.

I think that it would be very good for the league. Big market vs Big market teams duking it out with big-market stars headlining the story. The media would find a gold mine of stories and side-stories to spice up this potential finals series. It would rake in tv ratings, sponsorships and ticket sales. Just the thing that the NBA would probably need to save it from a lock-out.

If the Lakers win it, Phil Jackson would head the story line because he would win his 12th and last ring at the expense of the first team that he won his first ring with. Kobe would be in there too because he would tie the player that has been most compared to him in the championship rings department. It will fuel a lot of debate, controversy, haters, lovers, etc.

And if the Bulls win it all, wouldn't it be fitting that Jordan's team deny Kobe, the most compared and arguably the closest player to him, of a 6th ring to tie him? That would be such a nice story, although it would suck for me because Phil's swan song is incomplete and Kobe won't complete the quest for Phil.

midnightpulp
04-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Nigga, stop trying to take the easy way out. Nothing gets bigger than Boston s LA... maybe my cock.

That ain't a real rivalry since they own your ass 9 to 3. It's only a rivalry inside your tiny minds.

DeadlyDynasty
04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Nigga, stop trying to take the easy way out. Nothing gets bigger than Boston s LA... maybe my cock.

Boston sold their soul when they traded Perkins. They traded toughness for gimmicky offense. Ainge fucked them over. I would love for them to play the Celtics in the Finals (for many reasons), LA would destroy them.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Boston sold their soul when they traded Perkins. They traded toughness for gimmicky offense. Ainge fucked them over. I would love for them to play the Celtics in the Finals (for many reasons), LA would destroy them.

Don't need to worry about that DD, Miami and Chicago will make sure that happens.

DeadlyDynasty
04-14-2011, 08:59 PM
That ain't a real rivalry since they own your ass 9 to 3. It's only a rivalry inside your tiny minds.

It's still a rivalry, just from sheer amount of big games they've played against each other. True, Boston historically owns us, but if BOS-LAL ain't a rivalry then neither is Red Sox-Yankees, cause the Yankees own that shit.

DeadlyDynasty
04-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Don't need to worry about that DD, Miami and Chicago will make sure that happens.

Miami is the only team that scares me out of the East, especially since we gave up the HCA in the last week of the season. I'm sticking to my guns...MIA and OKC are the only teams that could beat a healthy Laker team this year--and since OKC would have to go through a tough series to reach the WCF, I'm liking our chances more and more against them too.

midnightpulp
04-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Now before you grey spurfans come in here and shout the Lakers suck and the Bulls are fodders, read the thread title. Now to my point.

I think that it would be very good for the league. Big market vs Big market teams duking it out with big-market stars headlining the story. The media would find a gold mine of stories and side-stories to spice up this potential finals series. It would rake in tv ratings, sponsorships and ticket sales. Just the thing that the NBA would probably need to save it from a lock-out.

If the Lakers win it, Phil Jackson would head the story line because he would win his 12th and last ring at the expense of the first team that he won his first ring with. Kobe would be in there too because he would tie the player that has been most compared to him in the championship rings department. It will fuel a lot of debate, controversy, haters, lovers, etc.

And if the Bulls win it all, wouldn't it be fitting that Jordan's team deny Kobe, the most compared and arguably the closest player to him, of a 6th ring to tie him? That would be such a nice story, although it would suck for me because Phil's swan song is incomplete and Kobe won't complete the quest for Phil.

And that's precisely why it would blow. Every time two big market teams with superstars play in the Finals, the media turns everything into a soap-opera like spectacle that Vince McMahon would applaud.

I don't need the media constantly trying to force feed me the idea that Kobe will catch or surpass Jordan if he ties him in rings. Kobe's barely a top ten all-time player, much less the greatest of all time. Believe it or not, the sport does suffer with this kind of sound bite sports journalism. Granted, Luva and like-minded idiots tune in and eat this shit up, but ultimately, it turns sports into something a sideshow.

midnightpulp
04-14-2011, 09:05 PM
It's still a rivalry, just from sheer amount of big games they've played against each other. True, Boston historically owns us, but if BOS-LAL ain't a rivalry then neither is Red Sox-Yankees, cause the Yankees own that shit.

Lol. I was trying to bait Luva with that one. I agree with Killakobe that a rivalry begins when both teams have won an important series against each other.

badfish22
04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
that Jordan's team deny Kobe, the most compared
yes.

and arguably the closest player to him
lolol no

Budkin
04-14-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm sure it would be a good series but it's not happening.

lefty
04-14-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm sure it would be a good series but it's not happening.

If Stern wants a Bulls-Lakers series, he's gonna have it

4>0rings
04-14-2011, 09:39 PM
A team that continually goes to the finals with help is good for basketball? Good for LA, not basketball.

Lefty's understudy
04-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Awesome new avatar, bro.

Venti Quattro
04-14-2011, 09:48 PM
lolol no

keyword: arguably. You're arguing what I said, so i'm still right

Killakobe81
04-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Mid recycling shit ...I guess the Lakers and Spurs are not a rivalry either by your criteria ...

Zelophehad
04-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Shitty logic.

DMC
04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
There's a potential one now. Don't you mean an actual one?

lefty
04-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Awesome new avatar, bro.

Thank you

DMC
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Stern wants to fine people. He would love a Magic, Lakers series. Think of the money he could make.

lefty
04-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Stern wants to fine people. He would love a Magic, Lakers series. Think of the money he could make.

Kobe, Artest, Phil

You are right, there is potential....

dbestpro
04-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Stern wants a new genre to hang the NBA hat on. Look for OKC and Chicago to get some unsual calls during crunch time.

Jacob1983
04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Stern would jizz his pants if it's the Lakers and Bulls in the Finals. He would probably kill himself if it was OKC and the Magic. It would be interesting to see the Bulls and Lakers. Kobe has never won a championship when his team did not have HCA in the Finals.

jjktkk
04-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I would think Spurs, Mavs, Thunder fans, etc... could really give a flying fuck about how a Lakers-Bulls would be good for the league.

Giuseppe
04-14-2011, 10:21 PM
Stern wants a new genre to hang the NBA hat on. Look for OKC and Chicago to get some unsual calls during crunch time.

Fine assessment, db.

Giuseppe
04-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Kobe has never won a championship when his team did not have HCA in the Finals.

You got that beat by Forever.

xellos88330
04-14-2011, 10:50 PM
Good series, sure. Good for the league, not as much as you would think. Good for the league would be small market vs. big market with small market winning out. It could send the message to the superstars to reconsider current views on winning. Talent can only get you so far. Imagine if the Heat got to the Finals and lost to a team like OKC, or SA. If they do it again the next year and lose in the Finals, then maybe superstars wouldn't be so willing to group up and the talent across the league would start to even out making ALL the games watchable throughout the season. I think that would pay off a hell of a lot more than 1 series of basketball.

badfish22
04-14-2011, 10:57 PM

:lol you're better then that, Venti.

mavsfan1000
04-14-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd rather have a Mavs-Bulls series. Fuck the Lakers.

NRHector
04-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Stern doesn't care about Kobe anymore he got what he wanted from Kobe while he was young and now the new blood of the NBA are taking over the league.
Don't be surprise if we see a Thunder and Bulls finals, that would be a good opportunity for Stern to change the whole image of the NBA with trouble-free players like Durant and Rose

HarlemHeat37
04-14-2011, 11:47 PM
:lol The Bulls are an irrelevant team, nobody gives a fuck about them..

:lolGangbanger vs. homophobic rapist as the main matchup in the Finals:lol..

Miami vs. San Antonio would be the best match up, tbh..the team that everybody hates vs. the team that everybody hates to see..the best player of the decade of the 2000s vs. the best player of the decade of the 2010s..young vs. old..

mavsfan1000
04-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Stern doesn't care about Kobe anymore he got what he wanted from Kobe while he was young and now the new blood of the NBA are taking over the league.
Don't be surprise if we see a Thunder and Bulls finals, that would be a good opportunity for Stern to change the whole image of the NBA with trouble-free players like Durant and Rose
Yeah right.

Man In Black
04-14-2011, 11:59 PM
If that's the way the league feels then they might as well go back to 6 franchises. The rest of the league should form the new ABA and show those big city fucks how it's done.

duncan228
04-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Lakers’ road to repeat may go through Chicago (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbaplayoffpreview)
By Brian Mahoney

Kobe Bryant has all that championship experience, and perhaps the NBA’s best supporting cast. The Miami Heat have the promise of what LeBron James and Dwyane Wade can deliver in their first postseason together, and the Boston Celtics think their playoff-tested group can do it again.

“You don’t ever know if you’re going to win a championship until you get there, but you know you have the pieces that can compete for one,” Wade said. “That’s where we’re at right now.”

But to win an NBA title, those teams may have to go past Michael Jordan.

The Chicago Bulls, with dynamite point guard Derrick Rose, earned home-court advantage by finishing with the league’s best record for the first time since Jordan ruled the NBA. Keep on winning, and the Bulls would open the finals at the United Center, with its statue of Jordan outside.

And what a story it would be if his old coach was on the opposing sideline.

Phil Jackson, who led Jordan and the Bulls to six NBA titles, is expected to retire after this season. The Lakers would love to send him off with a sixth title in Los Angeles and a remarkable fourth three-peat.

They are the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference and endured a five-game losing streak late in the season. But they still have Bryant, seeking to tie Jordan with a sixth ring, and loads of interior depth with Pau Gasol, Lamar Odom and they hope a healthy Andrew Bynum.

And they might be back on track after closing the regular season with two straight victories.

“Maybe we turned a corner the last two nights,” Jackson said. “We can’t do anything easy. We’re bipolar.”

Keep reading... (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbaplayoffpreview)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-nbaplayoffpreview

TheManFromAcme
04-15-2011, 07:00 AM

quit hatin pulp. It is a rivalry. always has been. always will be. now, the spurs and lakers being rivals is a rivalry inside tiny minds.

it's about the 2 greatest teams in the league. nobody comes close to the history of these 2. not the bulls. not the spurs. not the pistons. not the rockets

Lakers and Celts...period.

ogait
04-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Not for me personally no, but I can definitelly see the appeal on a Bulls-Lakers finals for the masses.

Laker fans should be advised though. A game 7 in the United Center, I can see Kobe trying to steal the show, taking his chucking tendencies to an all different level.

21_Blessings
04-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Not for me personally no, but I can definitelly see the appeal on a Bulls-Lakers finals for the masses.

Laker fans should be advised though. A game 7 in the United Center, I can see Kobe trying to steal the show, taking his chucking tendencies to an all different level.

Game 7? Ha. Lakers winning that series in 4 or 5 games, with a couple nail biters (a la the Orlando series).

Boston/Miami vs The Lakers would be more competitive and would generate much more interest considering the star power (Miami) and tradition (Boston = LA's bitch since the 80s).

z0sa
04-15-2011, 04:05 PM
:sleep

Koolaid_Man
04-15-2011, 07:17 PM

Luva I see that every time you post midget man is there all over your cock...next time put some hot sauce on it homie...make that midget choke...:lol

Bill_Brasky
04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
No. People are tired of seeing the lakers, and I hope we get a chance to push their shit in.

Red Hawk #21
04-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I wouldn't mind a Lakers-Bulls finals. It's just I don't really believe in the Bulls. I'm still amazed they won 60 games, and I know for sure they're not a championship team. I think the Lakers would sweep the Bulls or win in 5 games if they met in the finals. Still it would be good to see Kobe and Pau go up against D-Rose and Boozer while MJ watches (I think he would show up).

mindcrime
04-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Game 7? Ha. Lakers winning that series in 4 or 5 games, with a couple nail biters (a la the Orlando series).

Boston/Miami vs The Lakers would be more competitive and would generate much more interest considering the star power (Miami) and tradition (Boston = LA's bitch since the 80s).

Especially in 2008.

mindcrime
04-15-2011, 07:56 PM

Just curious why LA didn't 'destroy' Boston in game 7 last finals? No Perkins + home court = 4 point victory. The only destruction I have seen thus far is game 6 of the 2008 finals. Now that was an ass pounding of epic proportions.

Juggity
04-15-2011, 08:10 PM

Arguably would imply that there was an argument to make that he is anywhere close to Jordan. Which is simply not true, because he's a pale imitation in every respect.

Darrin
04-15-2011, 08:14 PM

It would also be the matchup of the 1991 NBA Finals where the torch, in a lot of people's minds, was passed from Magic (5 rings in the 80s) to Michael (6 rings in the 90s). We would have the up-starts, the Bulls, playing the same role they played in 1991 against the aging, seasoned, championship-hardened team from Los Angeles. Phil Jackson would have bookends on his career--first title as Bulls Head Coach in 1991 versus the Lakers, 2011 last title of his career with LA Lakers versus the Bulls.

Can you imagine the sendoff in game seven for him, win or lose, from that crowd?