PDA

View Full Version : Bill Simmons Playoff Preview Podcast

k_nguyen93
04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
He did a mega 2 part podcast with a bunch of basketball guys. John Hollinger, Marc Stein, Ric Bucher, Chad Millman, and Joe House.

Nothing on the Spurs in part 1 for the most part besides everyone picking OKC over them. I think Stein may have had Nuggets over OKC. In part two Bucher talks about how Tim just looks so fragile getting up after falling down. Simmons says KG and Tim have roughly same years but Tim has logged so much more playoff time. Bucher says part of that has to do with all the years of him grinding in the post compared to KG who is wily. Stein gave Parker third team vote over Manu because he's been more consistent. Simmons says Parker should be banned from all awards for a year because of the Brent fiasco. Bucher thinks Parker will destroy Grizzlies and wants him to make up for the 2007 Finals MVP trophy. All of them think Grizzlies are stupid for tanking because they lit a fire under the Spurs and Stein says Pop is the best at shutting down a team's #1 guy. He uses Mavs last year as an example. They don't think Grizzlies have enough shot makers with Gay out and Randolph neutralized or at least less effective. Lastly both Simmons and Bucher dismissed the Spurs because of the middle of the pack defense. Bucher says he gave Pop COY because Spurs had no business being anywhere near best record in the NBA. They only did so with versatile bench (good thing right?). Stein thinks they saved Duncan up so they can go back to slower pace in the playoffs. There was some Spurs talk later with Joe House and Chad Millman involving odds and how the Spurs have the lowest odds as the #1 seed since the lockout season. House at gunpoint would pick the Spurs over Thunder. Millman has the Thunder in the finals.

Amuseddaysleeper
04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Wow, crazy love for the Thunder.

Thanks for summing this up for us, was curious to see what they had to say.

pawe
04-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Guess its more motivation for the Spurs when they meet OKC..then again, Spurs are veterans and dont need the extra motivation anymore.

1Parker1
04-15-2011, 12:12 AM
Meh...people would probably have given Thunder props if they were going to play the Lakers in Round 2. People are either overblowing the Perkins trade...or are spot on. We shall see I guess.

Personally, I actually think the Spurs can get past the Thunder. However, in no shape or form will it be easy. Right now to be honest, I am concerned how the Spurs will be able to make it out of 2 super tough rounds in a row healthy.

This season is reminding of I believe it was 2009, where the Spurs beat the Suns in a tougher than it seemed first round matchup against the Suns in 5 (the game where Duncan hit the 3), then in the 2nd round they beat a super tough Hornets team in 7 on the road, and then were basically too tired and nagged by minor injuries here and there to have a fighters chance against LA in round 3. Hopefully I'm wrong and this season's HCA in the first two rounds can push them forward.

GinobiliForTres
04-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Meh...people would probably have given Thunder props if they were going to play the Lakers in Round 2. People are either overblowing the Perkins trade...or are spot on. We shall see I guess.

Personally, I actually think the Spurs can get past the Thunder. However, in no shape or form will it be easy. Right now to be honest, I am concerned how the Spurs will be able to make it out of 2 super tough rounds in a row healthy.

This season is reminding of I believe it was 2009, where the Spurs beat the Suns in a tougher than it seemed first round matchup against the Suns in 5 (the game where Duncan hit the 3), then in the 2nd round they beat a super tough Hornets team in 7 on the road, and then were basically too tired and nagged by minor injuries here and there to have a fighters chance against LA in round 3. Hopefully I'm wrong and this season's HCA in the first two rounds can push them forward.

That was 2008. That's actually when I started watching SA. First game I ever watched was the game where Timmy hit the 3.

The "minor" injury that made the LA series basically impossible was Manu's ankle. Tim was already exhausted and Manu was basically everything they had to rely on.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2011, 12:35 AM
That was 2008. That's actually when I started watching SA. First game I ever watched was the game where Timmy hit the 3.

The "minor" injury that made the LA series basically impossible was Manu's ankle. Tim was already exhausted and Manu was basically everything they had to rely on.

Damn your young lol, I am 32, watched SA since the Utah days, Spurs knows what I am talking about there, the old 93 days or so...... I am glad you are afan though, saw all their titles and never will regret it.

1Parker1
04-15-2011, 12:35 AM

Yea you're right...it was 2008. Regardless, I still like the Spurs chances this year--as long as they are healthy. Not sure how long elbow injuries can nag a player, but the long layoff between games in the playoffs should help.

GinobiliForTres
04-15-2011, 12:40 AM
Damn your young lol, I am 32, watched SA since the Utah days, Spurs knows what I am talking about there, the old 93 days or so...... I am glad you are afan though, saw all their titles and never will regret it.

Haha. i'm 18. Die-hard fan ever since Game 1 of 08. I was screaming and shouting throughout the whole Hornets series. Lots of people think I have no idea what i'm talking about cause i started watching in 08, but I have a decent amount of knowledge.

Sean Cagney
04-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Haha. i'm 18. Die-hard fan ever since Game 1 of 08. I was screaming and shouting throughout the whole Hornets series. Lots of people think I have no idea what i'm talking about cause i started watching in 08, but I have a decent amount of knowledge.

Good do your research man, just upset you could not see 99, 03, and 05 etc. live! You missed 07 as well! man those were special live, something I will never forget, just upset you wre not old enough then to see them live!

Harry Callahan
04-15-2011, 06:10 AM

Manu's ankle was trashed and require surgerys - it was no minor injury at all. The next year he missed the entire playoffs with a stress fracture (09). The Spurs lost for only the second time in the first round since Duncan arrived in 2009. That is the only way Dallas could win a first round series.

Harry Callahan
04-15-2011, 06:20 AM
He did a mega 2 part podcast with a bunch of basketball guys. John Hollinger, Marc Stein, Ric Bucher, Chad Millman, and Joe House.

There was some Spurs talk later with Joe House and Chad Millman involving odds and how the Spurs have the lowest odds as the #1 seed since the lockout season. House at gunpoint would pick the Spurs over Thunder. Millman has the Thunder in the finals.

Who was the #1 in the lockout season? Spurs of course. Who won it all? The Spurs.

I don't expect that to happen this time around (mainly due to TD's current abilities with being 35 years old and not 25), but it is not totally out of the realm of possibility that the TEAM can win the West.

I guess its good that Manu's legs aren't injured this time around.

Bill Simmons mentioned that a "Source" told him that Manu's knees were shot and he wouldn't get through the season. I have no idea who his source is but last time I checked, Manu had one of his best seasons in a Spurs uniform.

TheChillFactor
04-15-2011, 07:22 AM
Thank you for saving me 2 hours of my time! Simmons is worthless but i liked the summary.

Johnny RIngo
04-15-2011, 11:52 AM
That was 2008. That's actually when I started watching SA.

It's too bad you had to start watching during the Bonner era.

phxspurfan
04-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Nothing on the Spurs in part 1 for the most part besides everyone picking OKC over them. I think Stein may have had Nuggets over OKC. In part two Bucher talks about how Tim just looks so fragile getting up after falling down. Simmons says KG and Tim have roughly same years but Tim has logged so much more playoff time. Bucher says part of that has to do with all the years of him grinding in the post compared to KG who is wily. Stein gave Parker third team vote over Manu because he's been more consistent. Simmons says Parker should be banned from all awards for a year because of the Brent fiasco. Bucher thinks Parker will destroy Grizzlies and wants him to make up for the 2007 Finals MVP trophy. All of them think Grizzlies are stupid for tanking because they lit a fire under the Spurs and Stein says Pop is the best at shutting down a team's #1 guy. He uses Mavs last year as an example. They don't think Grizzlies have enough shot makers with Gay out and Randolph neutralized or at least less effective. Lastly both Simmons and Bucher dismissed the Spurs because of the middle of the pack defense. Bucher says he gave Pop COY because Spurs had no business being anywhere near best record in the NBA. They only did so with versatile bench (good thing right?). Stein thinks they saved Duncan up so they can go back to slower pace in the playoffs. There was some Spurs talk later with Joe House and Chad Millman involving odds and how the Spurs have the lowest odds as the #1 seed since the lockout season. House at gunpoint would pick the Spurs over Thunder. Millman has the Thunder in the finals.

My gut says OKC is still too young. They are a team of energetic guys but they haven't played together long enough to have roles clearly defined when the chips are down and split-second decisions mean much more. Who would secure the last rebound? Who would shoot the final shot? Who do they put in when they're going to get intentionally fouled? The answer to all these may seem obvious (Perkins, Durant, anyone with a good FT%), but from the games I've seen, the Thunder have not been able to execute these types of plays very well.

And the points made about Pop shutting down the opposing team's #1 option are good to think about. But, I don't think anyone ever shuts down Dallas' #1 option (Dirk), so that was a bad example. And of course in the playoffs, I think any team should be prepared to go to options 2 and 3 as the series goes on, since the 1st option always gets a lot of defensive attention in crunch time. Don't believe me? Count how many times Kobe has to pass out of a double team (or never gets the ball in the first place) in the last minutes of the upcoming playoff games (when the outcome is in doubt during the final minutes).

Horse
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM

Don't forget, they go fucked and had to sleep on the plane which lead to them blowing a 20-point lead in game 1. And that pretty much ended the series. Damn I hope we can stay healthy.

jimo2305
04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
about being the lowest odds and what not.. i'd expect it from these guys.. im not saying they're wrong or anything.. i mean.. i really am not looking forward to facing OKC in the 2nd round.. just as i wasnt' looking forward to facing MEM in the first.. but can we beat them.. most definitely!..

i know they're different teams but i like to remind myself that anything's possible.. just roll the clock back one year.. weren't the mavericks on their grind? yet us as a 7th seed knocked them out..

The Truth #6
04-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Nothing too shocking. The old guard - Lakers, Celtics, Spurs - all show major wear, tear, and weaknesses. Yet, the new guard doesn't have the typical experience. This all adds up to a very interesting playoffs.

The Spurs are an average defensive team and rely on the 3 pointer - in other words, we play a lot of Matt Bonner. Still, I expect a lot of fight left in our team.

phxspurfan
04-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Nothing too shocking. The old guard - Lakers, Celtics, Spurs - all show major wear, tear, and weaknesses. Yet, the new guard doesn't have the typical experience. This all adds up to a very interesting playoffs.

The Spurs are an average defensive team and rely on the 3 pointer - in other words, we play a lot of Matt Bonner. Still, I expect a lot of fight left in our team.

Yep, the way I see it:

Celtics: Slow, you can run them out of the gym before their defense sets up
Lakers: Weak bench, take advantage of them when Kobe/Gasol sub out, and attack Fish when he's in
Spurs: Stop the 3s from raining and you've stopped the Spurs. Let Parker get his but don't collapse the paint for him...keep in front of him and let the Spurs shoot long 2's all day (like the Spurs used to do to their opponents....)

But the new teams have weaknesses too:

Nuggets: Keep it close and see if they can execute in the 4th. Also try and back them down in the paint...Nene is their best interior defender, and he's just average. This is assuming Birdman is injured, et al.

Thunder: Most dangerous team...no real weaknesses besides maybe fouls on Perk...get him into foul trouble. And be confident that they won't get the ball to Durant in the clutch, because they haven't shown they can. Probably also make Westbrook and Durant work on defense.

Mavs: Just play, they'll defeat themselves when they put Barea in. Hustle to chase Kidd off the 3pt line

Blazers: Stick a leg under their shooters, or just play 3 quarters until enough of them injure themselves, then finish off the game 5 on 4 :downspin:

Mugen
04-15-2011, 03:52 PM
The Thunder still don't have a legit scoring option in the post. If you keep Westbrook out of the lane then they're basically a jump shooting team.

You just have to keep their fastbreak points down and keep Westbrook/Durant from living at the free thrown line. Easier said than done though because of their superior athleticism.

romad_20
04-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Who was the #1 in the lockout season? Spurs of course. Who won it all? The Spurs.

That statment was probably more about the Heat that year. If I remember correctly they were the #1 seed in the East and got beat by the Knicks, who of course faced the Spurs. The Spurs steam rolled the league after that awful start.

ArtVandelay
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
what the fuck does rich bucher kno
stick to keeping kobe's sacs warm

GinobiliForTres
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
It's too bad you had to start watching during the Bonner era.

Tell me about it. I wasn't too young to not watch the championship years...I just hadn't been interested in basketball till 2008. Still tears me up to know I was 1 year removed from missing the 2007 title. Worried I might never get to see a celebration live, but I more than believe in these guys.

The Thunder do have size, they're a very talented team. They're also young, like recently mentioned. I was told by a friend of mine (Bulls fan) that "talent trumps experience." personally, i don't believe that. The Bulls have some talent. D-Rose himself is something special. But outside of him, Boozer and Noah, I see no one who stands out as incredibly talented. I believe Rose will get tired at one point, and it will be their downfall. I read where the Bulls had 29 games where there was a 30-pt scorer. Rose had 23 of them. They rely on him way too much.

SplitterHook
04-15-2011, 06:43 PM
It's an insider thing or you can download it for free?

If so, where?

InRareForm
04-15-2011, 07:38 PM
It's an insider thing or you can download it for free?

If so, where?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/simmons/index

right hand side

Andrew Bynum
04-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Bucher is right. These Spurs are a mediocre defensive team and shoot way too many threes. Unless they somehow turn it around and turn back into the defense and post play driven Spurs of the past they're in big trouble in the playoffs.

k_nguyen93
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I think the one thing is that with Duncan playing 8-10 minutes more as well as Dyess starting you have to think the defense will get better. Case can't be made for most of the other contenders as much like Lakers and Mavs who seem to play their core guys the regular minutes.

leemajors
04-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't see how anyone could listen to Simmons' voice for more than a minute.