PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe Arpaio

Nbadan
04-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if Joe had to put on one of his pink prison outfits and sleep in one of his 'comfy' prison-rape tents?

PHOENIX — An examination in Arizona's Maricopa County has found that the sheriff's office, widely known for efforts against illegal immigrants, inappropriately spent $99 million from two jail funds over the last eight years to pay for other law enforcement operations – including immigration patrols.

The $99 million figure released Wednesday is an update to an estimate made in September by budget officials who said the sheriff's office was believed to have used $60 million and $80 million over four or five years from a jail tax on other purposes. Since then, officials said they discovered that the sheriff's office had inappropriately spent money from a second jail account.

Maricopa County officials also said that Arpaio's office had spent the money on unsuccessful criminal cases brought against two county officials and a judge.

SNIP

The findings by county budget officials discussed at a meeting Wednesday were sent to federal prosecutors who were already investigating Arpaio on abuse of power allegations.

Huff (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/13/joe-arpaio-spending-accusation_n_848804.html)

....misappropriation of state funds...look like the loony sheriff has a lot of explaining to do..he gave his tea-bagger friends......

....oops, his deputies....

....millions of dollars of the people's money to protect all of us from Pedro who picks his fruit, tends to his lawn and Juanita who makes his food and raises his kids...

Fight the good fight Sheriff! Asshat.

greyforest
04-15-2011, 01:54 AM
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is an example of a person clearly unfit to designate $100,000,000 of taxpayer money.

Wild Cobra
04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Why are you angry at him? Did you spend a night in his tent city?

CosmicCowboy
04-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Sounds like an accounting issue and not a fraud issue. It's not like he mis-appropriated the money to profit personally.

boutons_deux
04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Joe certainly "profits" personally from his grand-standing, look-at-me bullshit.

If the funds were spent for purposes they were not allocated/allowed for, then he spent fraudulently. It's not a one-time mistake, but a systematic, multi-year, repeated misspending.

Winehole23
04-15-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like an accounting issue and not a fraud issue. It's not like he mis-appropriated the money to profit personally.I don't see how that makes much difference. If Joe Arpaio's office diverted $100 million in dedicated public money for its own priorities, he's on the hook for it as the chief executive.

Best case, he's gruesomely incompetent; worst case, a damn criminal.

greyforest
04-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Why are you angry at him? Did you spend a night in his tent city?

Why are you angry at Hitler? Were you a Jew in the holocaust?

You don't have to be a victim of human rights abuse to be opposed to it.

George Gervin's Afro
04-15-2011, 11:31 AM
How great would it be to see sheriff joe in pink...:lmao

poetic justice..

RandomGuy
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Sounds like an accounting issue and not a fraud issue. It's not like he mis-appropriated the money to profit personally.

In an interview, Stapley said he believed Arpaio's office opened an investigation of him a few years ago when Stapley started asking questions about the costs of the sheriff's immigration efforts and junkets taken by sheriff's officials.

http://www.nyiia.org/events/Fraud%20What%20Internal%20Auditors%20Need%20to%20K now.pdf

Elements of Fraud - Arrogance
• Many frauds are committed by people in very senior positions with “Big
Egos”.
• They believe that the rules don’t apply to them.
• They think they can circumvent internal controls and not get caught.
• Bully-attitude
“..remember that many crimes are committed without economic gain for
reasons of ego, status, and sheer arrogance.”
Source: Sam E. Antar, convicted felon.. Ex-CFO Crazy Eddie

Autocratic leadership is one of the biggest red flags for outright fraud that auditors are told to look for, and that fits this guy to a "T".

RandomGuy
04-15-2011, 02:55 PM
I don't see how that makes much difference. If Joe Arpaio's office diverted $100 million in dedicated public money for its own priorities, he's on the hook for it as the chief executive.

Best case, he's gruesomely incompetent; worst case, a damn criminal.

But, but, but, he says things that I find emotionally appealing.

Meh. Yet another Ayn Rand wannabe turns out to be not the John Galt that many hoped for.

boutons_deux
04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
JA is certainly a Rand-y, greedy sociopath.

ManuBalboa
04-20-2011, 10:35 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378608/Americas-toughest-Sheriff-Joe-Arpaio-lets-public-rate-mugshots-online.html

:lol

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/19/article-1378608-0BB2BE0700000578-666_634x440.jpg

CosmicCowboy
04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Looks like this guy was doing his "Scarface" imitation when he got busted...

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/04/19/article-1378608-0BB2BDD700000578-833_634x648.jpg