PDA

View Full Version : Who will provide the fire in the belly?

EVAY
04-15-2011, 08:51 AM
If Manu is unable to play in the first game (and this is not speculation about whether or not he will, this is just saying if he does not), who is responsible for stepping up and the getting the team to play its collective heart out to beat Memphis?

I was shocked that the Spurs could not beat hapless Phoenix without Ginobili the other night.

Pop is terrible at being an emotional leader. He always says it is up to the players. It is not Duncan's personality to rally a team emotionally. Can Tony do it? Will the players follow him if he tries?

guzmangm
04-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Neal with his ballsy shooting (if he continues to make them). Parker is too cool to get all emotional. Maybe if Blair gets really physical. I know I'd like to see that.

EVAY
04-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Remember when Fisher got that .4 shot against us and Pop said later that he "didn't know how a team overcomes such an emotional kick in the gut" (or words to that effect). And so they didn't (overcome it?)

Remember when Manu fouled Nowitztki in the 7th game, allowing it to go to OT and we ended up losing to Dallas?

Those were times when a really effective emotional leader could have saved the team by getting it to play at its absolute best, talent-wise and emotionally. There wasn't one.

And there wasn't one on Wednesday night after Ginobili went down.

Will there be one on Sunday?

EVAY
04-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Neal with his ballsy shooting (if he continues to make them). Parker is too cool to get all emotional. Maybe if Blair gets really physical. I know I'd like to see that.

Well that certainly is talent coming to the fore, if he does.

EVAY
04-15-2011, 08:57 AM
I just wish that Pop could/would put some oomph in their gut.

But he never has been that kind of coach. It is almost as though he needs someone to make him believe, too.

Mel_13
04-15-2011, 09:11 AM
I just wish that Pop could/would put some oomph in their gut.

But he never has been that kind of coach. It is almost as though he needs someone to make him believe, too.

http://files.lakerhead.com/2009/06/popbefore.jpg

Bartleby
04-15-2011, 09:26 AM
I'd say the Grizzlies tank job lit a pretty big fire.

sa_butta
04-15-2011, 09:27 AM
Playoffs is a whole different animal. From the begining I think everyone will be fired up...Look no further than our leaders Tim Duncan and Tony Parker to lead the fire charge...While both are pretty calm and cool, I think they can fire everyone up by making big plays and getting others involved.

TMTTRIO
04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
George Hill

DMC
04-15-2011, 09:31 AM
There's no guarantee that the Spurs would have beaten Phoenix with Manu. He's not MJ (unless you spell it Manu Jinobili). Plus Phoenix isn't that far from being a playoff team. In the East they would be.

DBMethos
04-15-2011, 09:46 AM
George Hill

I love George but he's kind of a robot. Blair is the closest thing to Manu when it comes to demonstrative competitive fire.

tp2021
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I love George but he's kind of a robot. Blair is the closest thing to Manu when it comes to demonstrative competitive fire.

I'd have to disagree in part. When George plays aggressively the way Pop wants, his competitive fire is on full display.

Solid D
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Thai Kitchen?

Agloco
04-15-2011, 10:05 AM
I was shocked that the Spurs could not beat hapless Phoenix without Ginobili the other night.

I think you just answered your own question.

You need not look further than the 09' Dallas series for conclusive proof.

Budkin
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
That this could be one of the last real shots that this version of the team has... I'm sure the fire will be there.

DBMethos
04-15-2011, 10:45 AM
I'd have to disagree in part. When George plays aggressively the way Pop wants, his competitive fire is on full display.

That's true. We just need to get him to do it more often.

TampaDude
04-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Hill is a beast at home. We should be able to rest Manu for at least one game.

TE
04-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Neal.

Giuseppe
04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
As long as the Grizz don't bend over in front of Neal they should be fine.

SpursWoman
04-15-2011, 11:41 AM
Thai Kitchen?

He said belly, not behind. :lol

cantthinkofanything
04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
He said belly, not behind. :lol

Which provides a bigger fire in the behind, Thai Kitchen or Richard Jefferson?

Horse
04-15-2011, 12:45 PM
If Manu is unable to play in the first game (and this is not speculation about whether or not he will, this is just saying if he does not), who is responsible for stepping up and the getting the team to play its collective heart out to beat Memphis?

Pop is terrible at being an emotional leader. He always says it is up to the players. It is not Duncan's personality to rally a team emotionally. Can Tony do it? Will the players follow him if he tries?
Tony was sick only played 25 minutes. And they probably all pulled back a little once Manu got hurt. I'm not sure they even cared about this game, other than staying in shape.

LakerHater
04-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I think Tony will have a huge series!