Pages : [1] 2 3 4

yavozerb
04-15-2011, 10:38 AM
http://kosarka.si/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2010/11/latvijec_00.jpg
Height: 6-10
Weight: 210 lbs
Birthday: 11/12/1992
Team: Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

DraftExpress (http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Davis-Bertans-6320/)
nbadraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/players/davis-bertans)

yavozerb
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks bruno...Have you or anybody else seen this kid play? I find it interesting that a euro kid so young can already have the offensive firepower this kid has..

Bruno
04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
He plays in Slovenia so our Slovenian posters should be able to give you some details about him. It looks like he doesn't plays a lot with his team which isn't surprising given how young he is.

yavozerb
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
This is the latest DX pick in there latest mock. They could be onto something since there is a total of 2 posts in this thread about this kid..

Bruno
06-01-2011, 03:24 PM
The key with these young international players is if they will stay in the draft. The deadline is June 13. But I agree with you, if Bertans stays in the draft, he will be a strong candidate for #29.

DesignatedT
06-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I would definitely take him at 29. Has tremendous upside.

spurs777
06-01-2011, 04:48 PM
another short guard!

Pistons < Spurs
06-13-2011, 11:02 AM
chadfordinsider Chad Ford
Just spoke with Davis Bertans' agent. He's still hasn't made decision re: staying in the draft. Will make one in the next few hours.

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 11:19 AM
Somebody promised this kid a 1st rd pick.. Would not suprise me one bit if the spurs draft this kid.

Pistons < Spurs
06-13-2011, 12:07 PM
DraftExpress Jonathan Givony
Davis Bertans is "leaning towards keeping his name in," his agent Marc Fleisher told us. "We'll decide in about two hours."

Pistons < Spurs
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Davis Bertans is officially staying in the draft, according to his agent Marc Fleisher. Won't reveal whether he knows where he'll be picked.

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Interesting, thought for sure he was withdrawing...Looks like its between Bertans and Mirotic for the 29th pick in the draft.

tdunk21
06-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Interesting, thought for sure he was withdrawing...Looks like its between Bertans and Mirotic for the 29th pick in the draft.

i read an article about mirotic saying even if he is drafted now he wont play in the NBA for 2-3 years....the only reason he is staying in the draft is to avoid this painful process .......i dont know if we still draft and stash him for future

Bruno
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
There is a good chance Bertans has received a first round promise. Spurs could be the team that have made the promise but my guess is that it is Chicago.

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 03:27 PM
i read an article about mirotic saying even if he is drafted now he wont play in the NBA for 2-3 years....the only reason he is staying in the draft is to avoid this painful process .......i dont know if we still draft and stash him for future

It has been known for quite sometime that Mirotic had no desire to play in the NBA anytime soon. I am 100% sure the spurs FO is aware of his contract issues and should they feel that he gives them the best value at #29, you will will hear his name called on draft night. There is nobody the spurs can get at #29 who will help in the coming season or seasons, so why not draft and stash?

Pistons < Spurs
06-13-2011, 03:38 PM
chadfordinsider Chad Ford
Looks like both Nikola Mirotic & Davis Bertans staying in the draft. Both will be 1st rounders. Look for Mirotic at OKC & Bertans to Spurs

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the updates p<s...Not sure which I player I like more at this time, but I like Bertans contract status in Europe much better thats for sure.

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 03:55 PM
I am not crazy about these highlight videos, but for those who know nothing about him this should at least give you an idea of what kind of player he is. Shooting and more shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39z7z-2FvQ

dbestpro
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
At best, he's the next: Keith Van Horn.

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 03:58 PM
At best, he's the next: Keith Van Horn.

Good comparison..From the 29th pick that would be a steal...

tdunk21
06-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I am not crazy about these highlight videos, but for those who know nothing about him this should at least give you an idea of what kind of player he is. Shooting and more shooting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i39z7z-2FvQ

thanx for the video...looks like he is pretty quick on fastbreak

yavozerb
06-13-2011, 04:29 PM
This guy is a very long term project. Spurs need to toss in the towl if we are drafting guys who cant play next year.

:lol,The spurs have 10 players under contract for next season who played big roles in achieving a 60 win season. This only leaves 2 active roster spots open for contributing players next season, so no room or PT for any rookie players anyways. Toss in the towel, really....

Bruno
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep, thanks for all the updates p<s.

I don't think Chad Ford has some kind of inside news linking Spurs to Bertans. IMO, it's just: both Presti and Buford like Euros, both Spurs and Thunder have a late first round pick, both Spurs and Thunder don't really have roster spots to add prospects => let's put Mirotic to OKC and Bertans to SA.

xellos88330
06-13-2011, 05:35 PM
6-10 SF that can shoot and looks to be able to create his own shot off the dribble!!! Yes please!!!

ernest787
06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
he seems to have the KVH build, but KVH never had a jumper that smooth. Dude looks like he's a knock down shooter.

Interested in weather he can create his own shot and how he looks in the defensive side

kobyz
06-13-2011, 06:05 PM
i actually think that Nikola Mirotic is the one in the Keith Van Horn mold(maybe Danny Ferry at worst scenario), but Davis Bertans looks like a Mike Dunleavy type player!

ernest787
06-13-2011, 06:11 PM
i actually think that Nikola Mirotic is the one in the Keith Van Horn mold(maybe Danny Ferry at worst scenario), but Davis Bertans looks like a Mike Dunleavy type player!

yeah I can see that comparison more from the very very very little I've seen of him

I think the lankiness, height, and knee high socks are what brought the original and my subsequent reiteration of the KVH comparison (although mine was more in reference to his body type)

benefactor
06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Pretty much. As I said in the Mirotic thread, it doesn't look like the Spurs have any plans to draft someone they have to pay next season. I'd almost bet the house on the pick being a stash player.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Benefactor - what up w/ the big ass BMW pic in every post? I'm not a hater, but can you make it smaller so I don't have to scroll my window over half way just to read what you wrote....

yavozerb
06-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Benefactor - what up w/ the big ass BMW pic in every post? I'm not a hater, but can you make it smaller so I don't have to scroll my window over half way just to read what you wrote....

:toast

benefactor
06-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Took it out...thanks for letting me know. Not even sure why it was there. I think the link used to be for a gif I had there for Gary Neal. Hell...I never see my sig or any sig for that matter so I can never remember what I have in it.

dbestpro
06-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Somebody else was compared to KVH.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/1998/draft/si/power.html

SenorSpur
06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Personally, I believe this kid will be the Spurs primary target. Despite all his rants about how the team needs to get better defensively, Pop has clealry fallen in love with the deep-ball shooters - whether they can defend or not. Despite his offensive prowess, that is the thing that scares me about Betrans. From the workout footage, he does seem to be quicker that expected, but I don't know if there is any evidence that he can be a capable NBA defender.

tdunk21
06-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Personally, I believe this kid will be the Spurs primary target. Despite all his rants about how the team needs to get better defensively, Pop has clealry fallen in love with the deep-ball shooters - whether they can defend or not. Despite his offensive prowess, that is the thing that scares me about Betrans. From the workout footage, he does seem to be quicker that expected, but I don't know if there is any evidence that he can be a capable NBA defender.

his youtube highlights video does show couple blocks and steals

mariners
06-15-2011, 01:04 PM
Bertans has the potential to be a plus defender, he won't ever change the game on that sides of the ball but he has the length, just enough quickness, footwork, and size.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-15-2011, 01:43 PM
seeing how RC already said that the plan to rebuild is thru trade and not the draft or FA. draft and stash is the best way to go. who would be a good realistic draft and stash with our 2nd round pick?

SenorSpur
06-15-2011, 04:00 PM
seeing how RC already said that the plan to rebuild is thru trade and not the draft or FA. draft and stash is the best way to go. who would be a good realistic draft and stash with our 2nd round pick?

RC's intentions sound good, but one never knows who may fall to them in the 1st round. What if Tyler Honeycutt is there? How about Chris Singleton? Or even Nikola Vucevic?

Besides, if this team is hot on Bertans, with his recent showing at the workout sessions, I highly doubt he'll be around at the bottom of the 2nd round. If they want him badly enough, and he's available at #29, they'd better jump on him.

MR.SILVER&BLack
06-15-2011, 06:06 PM
RC's intentions sound good, but one never knows who may fall to them in the 1st round. What if Tyler Honeycutt is there? How about Chris Singleton? Or even Nikola Vucevic?

Besides, if this team is hot on Bertans, with his recent showing at the workout sessions, I highly doubt he'll be around at the bottom of the 2nd round. If they want him badly enough, and he's available at #29, they'd better jump on him.

of course there are exeptions. if a player like singelton or any other player that can contribute and get into the rotation right away is available yes take them but if it goes down like almost every mock draft predicts then draft and stash is the best way to go.

SenorSpur
06-16-2011, 10:47 AM
Looks like defense really is his biggest weakness

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/qa-davis-bertans/

Just before taking off for the Adidas Eurocamp, SLAMonline had a chance to chop it up with 6-10 Latvian small forward Davis Bertans. Very much a true small forward, he was a 2-guard his entire career and hit an incredible late growth spurt over the last two years, a la Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis. Known for his sweet shooting stroke from beyond the arc, Bertans has no problem blowing past you to the rim for a dunk if he catches you slipping closing out on him out of control. Defense is certainly his biggest weakness at this point, as it is for most 18 year-olds.

yavozerb
06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Looks like defense really is his biggest weakness

Just before taking off for the Adidas Eurocamp, SLAMonline had a chance to chop it up with 6-10 Latvian small forward Davis Bertans. Very much a true small forward, he was a 2-guard his entire career and hit an incredible late growth spurt over the last two years, a la Kentucky recruit Anthony Davis. Known for his sweet shooting stroke from beyond the arc, Bertans has no problem blowing past you to the rim for a dunk if he catches you slipping closing out on him out of control. Defense is certainly his biggest weakness at this point, as it is for most 18 year-olds.

Age + euro+ athletecism = below average NBA defender. I still like his game and hope he is at the top of the spurs draft board..

SenorSpur
06-16-2011, 11:44 AM
Age + euro+ athletecism = below average NBA defender. I still like his game and hope he is at the top of the spurs draft board..

To his credit, at least he's aware of it and willing to work at it.

SLAM: What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you’ll be able to step in and hold your own on the defensive end?

DB: About defense, of course it’s a bit of a problem for me to move my long legs fast, but i’m working on that. Everything can be fixed with hard work, so everyday i have to work even harder and i can become a good defensive player. And my height is definately a bonus on defense because i don’t have to got too close to offensive player and he still can’t shoot and open shot over my hands. Critics actually help. I want to prove that they are wrong.

xellos88330
06-16-2011, 05:38 PM
To his credit, at least he's aware of it and willing to work at it.

SLAM: What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you’ll be able to step in and hold your own on the defensive end?

DB: About defense, of course it’s a bit of a problem for me to move my long legs fast, but i’m working on that. Everything can be fixed with hard work, so everyday i have to work even harder and i can become a good defensive player. And my height is definately a bonus on defense because i don’t have to got too close to offensive player and he still can’t shoot and open shot over my hands. Critics actually help. I want to prove that they are wrong.

Heh, sounds like he takes criticism the way it is supposed to be taken.

SenorSpur
06-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Heh, sounds like he takes criticism the way it is supposed to be taken.

Unlike a certain player who "took his talents to South Beach"

Spurtacus
06-18-2011, 12:05 PM
Projection San Antonio Spurs
(No. 29 pick)
Positives

Excellent shooter with deep range
Quick release on his jumper
Can create his shot off the dribble
Great size for his position
Good passer
Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength
Poor shot selection at times.

Notes

Bertans has declared for the 2011 NBA Draft
Plays for Union Olimpija Ljubljana. Averaged 4.1 ppg in 9.8 mpg while shooting 57 percent from three during the 2010-11 season.

ESPN

ChuckD
06-19-2011, 10:41 AM
Projection San Antonio Spurs
(No. 29 pick)
Positives

Good passer
Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength

Notes

Plays for Union Olimpija Ljubljana. Averaged 4.1 ppg in 9.8 mpg while shooting 57 percent from three during the 2010-11 season.

ESPN

DX had him as our pick for a while, but now has Dallas nabbing him several spots earlier. He's one of those players that's just hard to nail down because he is SO inexperienced.

ChuckD
06-20-2011, 06:33 PM
ESPN's Ford says the Spurs have made him a promise. Doesn't mean he'll last to 29, but apparently if he does, we'll pick him.

AFBlue
06-20-2011, 06:45 PM
ESPN's Ford says the Spurs have made him a promise. Doesn't mean he'll last to 29, but apparently if he does, we'll pick him.

link?

Mr. Body
06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Spurs have never publicly made a promise to anyone, so this would have to be speculative. Not saying they don't have one, but it's certainly not official.

That said, Bertans DOES seem like a Spurs pick.

ChuckD
06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
It was in Zach Lowe's Point Forward column earlier (apparently edited), but it just said that Chad Ford said it. Like 90% of what's out there now, it's a rumor. Take it or leave it.

ChuckD
06-20-2011, 07:29 PM
:lol You'd have to be an idiot to PUBLICLY promise a player and go on the record. That would be like playing poker with your hand laid down on the table. This shit usually leaks from either family or agents.

Mr. Body
06-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Public promises haven't been unknown in the past. This may have been a guess on the media's part -- Bertans has suggested he didn't want to stay in the draft without going first round. They may be supposing someone has promised him and have filled in the blanks.

ChuckD
06-20-2011, 08:01 PM
Public promises haven't been unknown in the past. This may have been a guess on the media's part -- Bertans has suggested he didn't want to stay in the draft without going first round. They may be supposing someone has promised him and have filled in the blanks.

I don't EVER remember a public one, uinless you count the #1 pick. Do you have an example?

Bruno
06-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Teams never publicly said who they will draft but leaks happen. It's possible that Spurs have made a promise to Bertans and a leak happened.

Spurs are usually great at keeping it secret but it can even happen to them like when they made a promise to Batum.

Mr. Body
06-20-2011, 08:18 PM
I can't be bothered to look any up, but more solid 'promises' happen much earlier and no, they aren't actually public, and yes, they often involve the Knicks.

objective
06-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Teams never publicly said who they will draft but leaks happen.

Well, it has sorta happened. Unless my memory is faulty, back in Rondo's draft, PHX's Griffen told the the media that there was no way Rondo was getting past them. As it turned out, there was in fact a pre-arranged trade with Boston if Rondo fell, so Griffen was publicly letting the public know about who was going where, but people had assumed he was referring to his own team.

TheProfessor
06-20-2011, 10:43 PM
A Chad Ford rumor that gets out this far ahead of the draft? Sounds like a smokescreen.

Mr. Body
06-20-2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, it's just as likely a smokescreen. Hoping to get an earlier team to jump on Bertans in order to let someone else fall.

SenorSpur
06-21-2011, 12:13 AM
I proclaimed this earlier in this thread and will do so again. I believe Bertans is the player the Spurs are targeting. Despite an obvious need for size, it's clearly apparent that Pop favors one-dimensional shooters over size. If Bertans is there, I believe he'll be the pick.

xellos88330
06-21-2011, 12:35 AM
I proclaimed this earlier in this thread and will do so again. I believe Bertans is the player the Spurs are targeting. Despite an obvious need for size, it's clearly apparent that Pop favors one-dimensional shooters over size. If Bertans is there, I believe he'll be the pick.

Well, he is a shooter WITH size. I wouldn't mind it if the Spurs were the ones who guaranteed him a 1st round choice.

My only concern with him is what would our reaction be if Bonner remains a Spur and Pop trots out a lineup with Bertans as PF and Bonner at C. That would definitely be spreading the floor out. Sit everyone outside the 3 point line and have Parker penetrate. It could actually work on the offensive side of the court, but defensively it could be a nightmare, unless by some miracle Bertans has a hidden knack for defending the post.

Ditty
06-21-2011, 01:18 AM
Well, he is a shooter WITH size. I wouldn't mind it if the Spurs were the ones who guaranteed him a 1st round choice.

My only concern with him is what would our reaction be if Bonner remains a Spur and Pop trots out a lineup with Bertans as PF and Bonner at C. That would definitely be spreading the floor out. Sit everyone outside the 3 point line and have Parker penetrate. It could actually work on the offensive side of the court, but defensively it could be a nightmare, unless by some miracle Bertans has a hidden knack for defending the post.

http://www.funnypictureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

xellos88330
06-21-2011, 02:50 AM
http://www.funnypictureblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/NotSureIfSerious.jpg

Pop seemingly tends to be a paper kind of guy, and on paper it could possibly work out well, however only on one side of the court. Like I said before, the defensive side of the ball would need nothing more than a miracle to actually be a decent concept. It would be freakin hilarious if Pop does something like that should this kid be drafted by the Spurs. I can only imagine the types of thread coming out about it. Definitely high quality entertainment for forum purposes, but not so much in the standings department.

After all, if Parker can penetrate (and is actually playing worth a damn unlike the series vs. Memphis), and with everyone afraid to help, he is pretty much money if he gets into the paint. The weakness is the Spurs getting abused on the opposite side of the court. At the very least it would be quite entertaining on multiple levels.

benefactor
06-21-2011, 05:49 AM
Bonner will be gone by the time Bertans sees an NBA uniform.

SenorSpur
06-21-2011, 08:12 AM

That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. At the same time, he doesn't seem willing to field a team with players who can affect a game on the defensive end - on the interior and the perimeter.

The only way this can be accomplished is by adding players who are competent defensive players. You're not going to find another Bowen, but at least having players on the roster who can play both ends of the floor is a good start. Adding one-dimensional, unathletic perimeter shooters isn't the way to go.

If this team was much more formidable defensively, adding a player like Bertans would be a sweet deal. The point is they already have enough poor defenders and don't really need another one. We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.

buttsR4rebounding
06-21-2011, 09:49 AM
That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. At the same time, he doesn't seem willing to field a team with players who can affect a game on the defensive end - on the interior and the perimeter.

The only way this can be accomplished is by adding players who are competent defensive players. You're not going to find another Bowen, but at least having players on the roster who can play both ends of the floor is a good start. Adding one-dimensional, unathletic perimeter shooters isn't the way to go.

If this team was much more formidable defensively, adding a player like Bertans would be a sweet deal. The point is they already have enough poor defenders and don't really need another one. We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.

...and these defensive teams always started with 2 shot blockers. Bowen was incredibly effective because he played the system perfectly by funneling his player baseline to the shot blocker. After Horry left we did not have 2 good defenders in the post. Even Bowen in his prime would be funneling a scorer into Bonner only to have him dunk over Bonner.

SenorSpur
06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I like Bertans as a possible long-term prospect. However based upon what the Spurs need at this time, he seems more of a long-term luxury pick. They already have enough perimeter shooters.

objective
06-21-2011, 01:00 PM
That is EXACTLY the point as well as the crux of the this ongoing hypocrisy with Pop. He's on record as stating his intentions of getting the Spurs back to a Top 3-level defensive team. . . . . We'll see just how serious Pop is about this, or whether he's just giving lip service again.

That's just lip service from Pop. Pop's true feelings are exposed when he talks about things like blaming being 'out of rhythm' and not fully healthy for the loss in the playoffs. Pop doesn't actually blame the defense . . . after all, it was a 60+ win team! They were just out of rhythm!

Another sign is the "Maybe it's Matt Bonner" as starter statement.

Pop doesn't care about defense so much anymore. I always get a chuckle when posters talk about drafting or signing a guy when "Pop can teach them defense". Please.

buttsR4rebounding
06-21-2011, 06:27 PM
A Chad Ford rumor that gets out this far ahead of the draft? Sounds like a smokescreen.

This is exactly what I thought. Heck, half the time very few people have even heard of the guy the Spurs draft after he's been drafted much less a week ahead of time.

5in10
06-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Have the Spurs promised Davis Bertans the 29th pick?

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/have-the-spurs-promised-the-29th-pick-to-davis-bertans

ChuckD
06-22-2011, 07:39 AM
Have the Spurs promised Davis Bertans the 29th pick?

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/have-the-spurs-promised-the-29th-pick-to-davis-bertans

This is still based off the same Chad Ford rumor we've been discussing for a page or so.

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Welcome. Don't suck when you come over.

yavozerb
06-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Bertans at #42 definatly makes up for the early gamble at #29 in my opinion..

Spurtacus
06-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Positives

Good passer
Aggressive

Negatives

Needs to add strength

Notes

June 13 Update: Bertans burst onto the scene with a strong performance in the practices of the Nike Hoop Summit. His actual game performance wasn't particularly great. Turns out that the same was true here at Eurocamp in Treviso, Italy. Bertans did a workout in front of NBA scouts and teams on Sunday and played pretty well. Of the three workouts here, he was, by far, the best. He hit shots, made plays, and showed that he was a better athlete than we give him credit for. While he didn't shoot the lights out (which was a disappointment given his rep as a sharpshooter) he looked good.

Then Bertans played in a Sunday evening All-Star game and he struggled with just seven points in 30 minutes of play. He was clearly forcing the issue at times. At other times his shot looked great, it just didn't go in. It happens to even the best shooters and Bertans is a very good shooter and should make a living at it for a long time in the NBA.

Bertans agent, Marc Fleisher, told me he's looking for a first-round guarantee from a team to stay in the draft. With the deadline approaching Monday, and with no guarantee as of Sunday night, it's unlikely that he stays in. With a bit more seasoning, he's a very solid first-round prospect.

Apr 11 Update: Bertans certainly didn't come to the Nike Hoop Summit with a huge amount of hype. The skinny sharpshooter from Latvia did make the All-Tournament team at the U-18 European Championships this summer, but generally he was considered a "down the road" prospect.

What scouts went crazy for over the week was Bertans' combination of lethal shooting ability and agility. I'm sure by now you're sick of hearing every big Euro who can shoot being compared to Dirk Nowitzki, but you heard it over and over again this week from scouts. Bertans had a so-so game at the Hoop Summit, but showed enough to get scouts drooling.

If he were to declare for the 2011 NBA draft, I think he'd get a look in the late first round, but if he waits another year, he could go much higher.

kobyz
06-23-2011, 11:39 PM
any chance we bring him this year, even if not quite ready, like we did with Tony?
to let him make quick growing...

tdunk21
06-23-2011, 11:42 PM
what is his contract situation? when can he play on the nba

Mr. Body
06-24-2011, 01:31 AM
One thing we tend to overlook on Bertans is that he is extremely young for this draft class.

mountainballer
06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
right, Bertans is at 18 exactly where Vesely was two years ago at the same age.
if he develops like Vesely did, Spurs got the steal of the draft.

Maddog
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
right, Bertans is at 18 exactly where Vesely was two years ago at the same age.
if he develops like Vesely did, Spurs got the steal of the draft.
Several reports question his level of athleticism -
I'm always find these reports a little suspect- especially for a young guy who probably hasn't grown into his body yet.
Have you are anybody seen him play- is this the case etc...

Big P
06-26-2011, 10:04 PM
http://youtu.be/i39z7z-2FvQ

Chomag
06-27-2011, 09:44 AM
I wish he was ready now, he looks to have all the intangables and skill set to be an above average NBA player. He should be a large piece of the spurs future in about 4 years though.

SenorSpur
06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I just wish he was a better defender. Depsite his shooting prowess, his slowness-of-feet will be exposed, at the next level. That doesn't bode well for a team that is trying to reclaim its defensive identity. If you stack your roster with terrible defenders, you can be assured that your defensive efficiency decline. It's not rocket science.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-27-2011, 10:07 AM
bertans is listed as a SF. I think this is due to his size and the lack of understanding people have about the skillset necessary to be a SF as he possesses very few...

Either way, he's a younger and little more athletic Bonner. He has his place on the team, especially in 2-3 years after adding some muscle and gaining experience but he by no means is the savior.

I doubt he'll ever start for the team unless the starter is injured.

Bruno
06-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Bertans is playing the U19 WC:
http://latvia2011.fiba.com/en

ace3g
06-30-2011, 02:55 PM
23 min: 4/12 FG 0/6 3 pt 5/6 FT 7 boards 1 stl 5 fouls 13 pts

FvckMavs
06-30-2011, 02:56 PM
3pt: 0/6

wildbill2u
06-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Just watch a vid of Bertans. Definitely can catch and shoot 3s. It even showed him with a few blocks and the ability to take the ball to the hoop occasionally.

Not bad for a teenager at 6'10. I'll take him at 42.

mystargtr34
06-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Kinda off topic ...Valanciunas the 5th pick in this years draft (born in 92) had 19-13-5 on 7-17 shooting in a loss to Croatia.

In the same gane Dario Saric (ultra hyped prospect) who is born in 94 had 22-11-4 on 9-14 shooting for Croatia. He has drawn comparisons to Toni Kukoc and more so Magic Johnson and LeBron James :lol because of his passing ability and all around game. He is already 6'10. Looks like he could be special.

chasky
07-02-2011, 01:52 PM
http://www.ltv7.lv/video_streams/adobe-flash-player-800kbps/

Live Latvia - Argentina. Bertans is playing.

chasky
07-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Patricio Garino send him to the Scholl.

ace3g
07-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Davis Bertans 33:07 3/19 FG 0/11 3pt 8 boards 4 fouls 6pts seems a little trigger happy from 3; 0-6 last game and now 0-11

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I just wish he was a better defender. Depsite his shooting prowess, his slowness-of-feet will be exposed, at the next level. That doesn't bode well for a team that is trying to reclaim its defensive identity. If you stack your roster with terrible defenders, you can be assured that your defensive efficiency decline. It's not rocket science.

It's also not rocket science to realize that at 18, he'll likely never play with Duncan, and most likely be a part of the rebuild, and a team with a new identity.

Maybe you follow the Jeff Green/OKC path. You develop him while improving the team, and then flip him for a better defender when the time is right.

Vic Petro
07-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Chip needs to take a vacation to Latvia and "accidentally" run into this guy.

ChuckD
07-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Chip needs to take a vacation to Latvia and "accidentally" run into this guy.

Why? His shot is about the only thing that doesn't need work.

Joe Schmoogins
07-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Davis Bertans 33:07 3/19 FG 0/11 3pt 8 boards 4 fouls 6pts seems a little trigger happy from 3; 0-6 last game and now 0-11

Actually last game he was 6/9 from three. The game before that he was 0-6. Looks like he can miss and make them in bunches.

k_nguyen93
07-02-2011, 07:46 PM
Ehh he's in 18 whatever. Probably in a funk. He's probably their best option too right? Gotta think he's getting doubled or something. Seems to be doing a good job on the boards.

Cessation
07-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Seems like he has balls, when he shoots, at least, unlike ginger.

ace3g
07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Bertans' shot-selection has been awful. Taking strictly off-balance, contested shots. Scoreless in 1st. Just because you can get it off...

He's a much better shooter than that. All mental now. RT @visbol: Bertans is shooting <25% from beyond the arc. Went 0/9 from 3 in one game

Its not easy being 18 years old, drafted 2 weeks ago & playing an important tournament like this in your home country, after a LONG season.

I have to wonder, are they pushing Bertans a little too fast, too hard right now? For example, what was the rush to keep him in the draft?

Bertanas showing off his picture-perfect stroke in this quarter, already hit three 3's. Ones he made were great shots, always in rhythm.

boxscore:
http://latvia2011.fiba.com//pages/eng/fe/11/fu19m/p/eid/5194/gid/36/grid/E/rid/8447/sid/5194/game.html

RT @ChristopheEPcom: Argentina wins against Russia. This means Russia and Latvia are out #FIBAu19

UPDATE: July 6, 2011

Latvia blew it again. On verge of defeat to Russia. Very poor U-19 display in their home country. And not due to a lack of talent. #FIBAu19

Another bad game (6 pts, 1/7 3P) from Davis Bertans, capping off a tough tournament. Was again jacking up bad shots, playing poor defense.

http://www.fibalivestats.com/matches/13883/03/72/23/49kkzpEHdvD0U/

Bruno
07-26-2011, 08:23 PM
The latest about Bertans:
Latvia NT will miss a lot of players for various reasons. The good news is that Bertans is with a senior team and these players missing increase Bertans odds to get some minutes. The bad news is that he has had a knee injury and is still out one week.

GB20
07-27-2011, 05:19 PM
The latest about Bertans:
Latvia NT will miss a lot of players for various reasons. The good news is that Bertans is with a senior team and these players missing increase Bertans odds to get some minutes. The bad news is that he has had a knee injury and is still out one week.
good! so far all our players are playing this summer. the one i am dying to see is leonard.

Mal
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
He sucks, badly. He is raw, afraid, cant shoot, bad choices on D. Maybe now he get more playing time, since whole starting 5 of his team from Ljublana, left.

Dont see him coming to NBA in next 5 years or more.

velik_m
01-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Bertrans left Olimpija and signed 3.5 year contract with Partizan.

http://www.kkpartizan.rs/sr/vest.php?id=962

Bruno
01-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Bertans has signed with Partizan Belgrade a 3 and a half years contract.

Link: http://www.kkpartizan.rs/sr/vest.php?id=962

velik_m
01-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Bertans has signed with Partizan Belgrade a 3 and a half years contract.

Link: http://www.kkpartizan.rs/sr/vest.php?id=962

Too slow... :hat

venitian navigator
01-04-2012, 10:48 AM
anybody can translate ? It would be interesting to know if he has an nba escape clause in that contract...

yavozerb
01-04-2012, 10:49 AM
anybody can translate ? It would be interesting to know if he has an nba escape clause in that contract...

He needs all 3 yrs to develop, no hurry...

velik_m
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

There is not much more than the 3.5 years, as far as contract info. Started at Riga, he was picked 42 in NBA draft by Indiana, traded to Spurs, played for Olimpija (10 euroleague games this season), money issues at Olimpija allowed him to break off contract with the club and sign a new 3 and a half year contract for Partizan. He plays a 3 and 4.

He was on their radar before that, one of top european prospects, they are happy to get him.

underdawg
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
SLAM: What is your contract situation with Olimpija like? Davis Bertans: I have a 6 year contract with NBA buy-outs after every season and European buy-outs starting after the next season. SLAM (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/qa-davis-bertans/)

What do you say to the critics who say you are too slow to defend wings in the NBA? Do you think you’ll be able to step in and hold your own on the defensive end? Davis Bertans: About defense, of course it’s a bit of a problem for me to move my long legs fast, but i’m working on that. Everything can be fixed with hard work, so everyday i have to work even harder and i can become a good defensive player. And my height is definately a bonus on defense because i don’t have to got too close to offensive player and he still can’t shoot and open shot over my hands. Critics actually help. I want to prove that they are wrong. SLAM (http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2011/06/qa-davis-bertans/)

CGD
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
So is this guy 1 year away, or more like 3?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
So is this guy 1 year away, or more like 3?

Three. Super skinny and very young.

BackHome
02-28-2012, 12:14 AM
So Bertans and Cory Joseph are pretty much in the same boat..

Ditty
02-28-2012, 03:16 AM
So Bertans and Cory Joseph are pretty much in the same boat..

In being young, with upside, and alot of potential...yeah.

Anonymous Cowherd
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Bertans will never not be 6'10" though

Ozzy
04-01-2012, 06:00 AM
Bertans's three dunks in a game against Cedevita (couldn't find anything in better quality)

J1ALkUBtrLw

TDMVPDPOY
04-01-2012, 08:11 PM
is this guy even better then sanikidz?

admiralsnackbar
04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
is this guy even better then sanikidz?
Not right now. Bertrans is just younger, taller, and with tons more upside than Sanikidze had at the same age. If Bertrans has half the hustle/determination Viktor has had over his career, he could be a really useful role player, IMO.

ace3g
06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Spurs bringing in their Euro Durant for a workout:

http://projectspurs.com/2012-articles/june/report-davis-bertans-to-participate-in-individual-workouts-for-spurs.html

loveforthegame
06-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice. The Spurs are turning over every rock looking for help.

I would still think he's another year or two away though.

Did I read that right? He's expected to be in training camp too?

ace3g
06-20-2012, 11:41 AM
That is what it sounds like, good litmus test to see how he competes against other nba level talent.

loveforthegame
06-20-2012, 11:54 AM
Cool. Interesting player.

Thanks for the updates. :tu

dylankerouac
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
So Spurs own his rights until he decides to come over right? Is there any expiration on this?

TimmehC
06-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Would be nice to see him in SL. Hanga and Richards will hopefully be in Vegas as well.

MR-Clutch
06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
Nice. The Spurs are turning over every rock looking for help.

I would still think he's another year or two away though.

Did I read that right? He's expected to be in training camp too?

They could also be measuring their trade value?

Duncan2177
06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
He reminds me of a very young Dirk Nowitski.

CGD
06-20-2012, 02:07 PM
So Hanga, Bertan, and iirc Victor are coming over for a summer look? Nice.

Any other foreign players coming?

ace3g
06-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Looks like Bertans is in town now with Hanga:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/552792_464857073544258_2075232579_n.jpg

https://twitter.com/HangaAdamOnline/status/216647914297098241

stxspurs
06-23-2012, 11:51 PM
these guys at cracker barrel? lol

pad300
06-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Looks like Bertans is in town now with Hanga:

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/552792_464857073544258_2075232579_n.jpg

https://twitter.com/HangaAdamOnline/status/216647914297098241

So Bertrans and Hanga are hanging out, but who's this Xavi guy they are with?

loveforthegame
06-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Nice to see them hanging out.

I can't wait to see them in SL.

ace3g
06-24-2012, 12:18 AM
So Bertrans and Hanga are hanging out, but who's this Xavi guy they are with?

Xavi strength coach for the team he currently plays for: Bàsquet Manresa

stxspurs
06-24-2012, 11:24 AM
Davis needs to put on some meat....he would get thrown around in the paint

loveforthegame
06-24-2012, 12:41 PM
I know he's probably not ready but I would rather take my chances with him instead of another dreaded season with Bonner and Blair. smh

pad300
06-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Xavi strength coach for the team he currently plays for: Bàsquet Manresa

Given that Bertrans is still a skinny little bugger, might want to bring our own... Bertrans needs some beef!

jyra
08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
He plays in the same tournament as Adam Hanga.
Here is the link to follow his stats throughout the tournament:

http://www.eurobasket2013.org/en/cid_8Xfg3jZMG1QuJnp6pnUWd3.teamID_2134.compID_qMRZ dYCZI6EoANOrUf9le2.season_2013.roundID_8721.player ID_71637.html

Bruno
08-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Nice to see Bertans doing fine. Aside of Lorbek, he is the most interesting player among players whose Spurs own NBA rights.

yavozerb
08-16-2012, 08:21 AM
Nice to see Bertans doing fine. Aside of Lorbek, he is the most interesting player among players whose Spurs own NBA rights.

Agree that is good to see Bertans progress as a player but disagree that he is most interesting player for the spurs. In my opinion Hanga is the most interesting since he should be able to come over as early as next season. Love to see both doing well though.

Bruno
08-16-2012, 12:34 PM
In my opinion Hanga is the most interesting since he should be able to come over as early as next season.

From what I've seen of him, I'm not sold on Hanga. He is a fine player but nothing special. Bertans is far from having an NAB level but the big difference is that he is 19 years old while Hanga is 23 years old.

yavozerb
08-16-2012, 03:16 PM
From what I've seen of him, I'm not sold on Hanga. He is a fine player but nothing special. Bertans is far from having an NAB level but the big difference is that he is 19 years old while Hanga is 23 years old.

If your take of the word "special" implies a manu-esqe type player then yes I agree with you, Hanga is not that type of player. But Hanga definatly has a solid NBA type game who can contribute on both sides of the court. About the the only thing Bertans has on his side is his age. Get back to me in about 3 yrs and then well see if he will ever play in the NBA.

G-Dawgg
08-20-2012, 07:22 AM
He looks like a potential Matt Bonner replacement at Pf with his length and shooting range...

ace3g
08-22-2012, 02:53 PM
vs Netherlands, he had: 16 pts, 7 boards, 3/6 from 3; I guess the only bad mark is his FT shooting, 3-6.

ace3g
08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Bertans production slowed down in the next 2 games: 0 and 5 pts

Bruno
09-11-2012, 05:51 PM
The 2013 Eurobasket qualifying tournament is finished and Latvia is qualified. Bertans averaged 8.6 points and 4.4 rebounds in 17.6 mpg. Not bad for a 19 years old player. Hopefully, he will get more minutes this year than last year with Belgrade.

venitian navigator
11-09-2012, 02:14 AM
news on this guy ? I heard he's playing good for the partizan...

FlAVaK
11-09-2012, 06:31 AM
http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?Cntry=Serbia&Team=170&Page=3

Stats are pretty simliar to his numbers at the Eurobasket-QT.

This evening (2045 CET) they play a german team,
maybe I will be able to watch it...

BTW: Sanikidze and Richards face each other today at 1945 CET

yavozerb
11-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Bertans showing some athleticism in this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaya4wOV1FA

Bruno
11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Bertans is just in a awesome situation to develop as a player.

He is getting playing time with a team that plays high level competitions (Euroleague and Adriatic league), that is a great basketball school and that is working seriously with him since he has signed a long term contract with them.

In 2 or 3 years, Bertans might turn into something great. The most important about him is how young he is. Players of his age, who doesn't early enter in the draft, will be eligible to be drafted in 2014 or 2015.

Maddog
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Bertans is just in a awesome situation to develop as a player.

He is getting playing time with a team that plays high level competitions (Euroleague and Adriatic league), that is a great basketball school and that is working seriously with him since he has signed a long term contract with them.

In 2 or 3 years, Bertans might turn into something great. The most important about him is how young he is. Players of his age, who doesn't early enter in the draft, will be eligible to be drafted in 2014 or 2015.
Have you had a chance to see him play?
I just realized that he turned 20 on Monday (my birthday also although in a very different year:lol) I keep forgetting how young he really is...
George Hill for Leanord and Bertans (of course Lorbek also)
Already a good trade- who knows might be great someday

Bruno
11-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Have you had a chance to see him play?

Nope, I haven't seen him play this year.

xellos88330
11-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Would the Spurs use this kid at the 3 or 4? I am hoping that he bulks up a bit and can be used at the 4.

Raven
11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Would the Spurs use this kid at the 3 or 4? I am hoping that he bulks up a bit and can be used at the 4.

for sure he's not a 4 i tell you that..

Bruno
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
A recent scouting report about Bertans:
http://www.europeanprospects.com/a-first-look-at-partizan-in-the-euroleague-201213/

Finally, Davis Bertans is another scoring option for Partizan coming from the bench. The Latvian forward is mainly used as a shooting Power forward and this with great success so far. Bertans hit 9/17 three pointers so far in the Euroleague to come at a respectable 7.8ppg. However, this is the main part of his production so far as he is not very present in rebounding or on the drive. His shot though is very quickly executed. His long arms give him a great release point and his technique allows him to arm without needing to control the ball in front of his body first. After a high catch, he can shoot immediately which gives his a great advantage in some situations. The Latvian forward needs to become more versatile in his production in order to be a factor outside of his shooting. He is capable of doing so like he has shown in the different youth selections but it is now the moment to do the next step on the professional level in a favorable environment like Partizan Belgrade.

Bertans took 76 shoots this in Euroleague and Adriatic league combined. 47 of these 76 shots were 3 pointers. He also averaged 2.1 rebounds in 19 mpg. These numbers confirmed him being mono-dimensional, kind of an athletic version of Steve Novak.

yavozerb
12-19-2012, 01:35 PM
A little footage of Bertans recently. Moving well without the ball and liking his aggresivness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzJbSrmrpZ0

yavozerb
12-20-2012, 04:27 PM
for sure he's not a 4 i tell you that..

You are wrong. Bertans is playing the 4 more these days than any other position. Granted its more of a stretch 4 while he develops an inside game and add some wt for defensive positioning. He seems to be playing better than ever at the 4 though.

elemento
12-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Bertans showing some athleticism in this clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaya4wOV1FA

So funny that you got a clip from KBP :lol

He still trolls with another nickname (euroleague) in another website (ish)

Anyway, good to hear from Bertans. Hopefully he will be a Spur someday.

objective
01-19-2013, 05:15 PM
Davis Bertans Euroleague 2012/13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCEW6nPe3sA

interesting highlight clip. Should there be any concern about his knees wrapped up like Ewing? Exaggerating, of course.

objective
01-19-2013, 05:29 PM
here's a full game from a few days ago in the Adriatic League, Bertans comes off the bench to score 11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfECF0XrhU

objective
01-19-2013, 05:56 PM
Hell, all his full Adriatic League games are available to watch on the league's website.

Click Here, and choose games for Partizan. (http://www.abaliga.com/n72/ABA_Contents/League_Video)

Enjoy.

Here's his stats for each game to make it easier to prioritize. (http://www.abaliga.com/player/2034/Davis_Bertans)

Of note, is that Bertans is 4th in the Adriatic League for 3 point %, at 45%.

BackHome
01-19-2013, 08:26 PM
My only two concerns with this kid are his foot speed and his strength.

CGD
01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
No doubt the kid can stroke it from 3. I'd like to see some midrange game as he continues to develop. He does seem slow afoot but not sure there is anything to be done about that.

smaka
01-20-2013, 01:12 PM
My only two concerns with this kid are his foot speed and his strength.

and his knees...

jyra
01-20-2013, 02:40 PM
http://sportacentrs.com/basketbols/legionari/20012013-davja_bertana_buzzer_beater_i_danks_i_pre

Bertāns Davis gathered the ball, ran fast counter-attack, and at the same time signal the end of the first half slammed ball in the basket from above. Attacker 20:39 minutes scored 8 points (2p 2/3, 3p 1/3, 1p 1/2), collected 1 Defensive Rebounds, 1 Assist done, intercepted one ball, received 4 comments and personal earnings performance factor of 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&amp;v=eK0gQ_Itk8s

He is showing some impressive jumping ability on that dunk.

BackHome
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah he has good straight line foot speed but my concern is lateral speed from side to side how good will he be defending? For those of you are lucky to watch him in games what time frame do you think it will take before he comes to the Spurs?

Bruno
01-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Bertans has had some issues with his knees a little over a year ago but, AFAIK, he has been fine lately.

Anyway, he is in an amazing place to develop and is still very young. He is a long term project and the earliest he could realistically sign with Spurs would be the 2014 summer.

yavozerb
01-21-2013, 04:05 PM
Knee looked pretty good here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eK0gQ_Itk8s
not so much for his dribbling though

playblair
02-18-2013, 07:46 PM
Davis Bertans n'a pas suffi pour le Partizan (23 pts)

Yugobasket ‏@yugobasket (https://twitter.com/yugobasket) Davis Bertans red hot at Belgrade eternal derby (4/4 from 3-point

EuropeanProspects ‏@ChristopheEPcom (https://twitter.com/ChristopheEPcom) Davis Bertans 6/7 3FGs so far.

B7mkWn9gvFE

Rafal Juc ‏@rafjuc (https://twitter.com/rafjuc) Can't get rid of calling Spurs-draftee 6-10 wing Davis Bertans ('92) "Matt Bonner 2.0". What a sweet stroke & follow-through on his jumper.

bluebellmaniac
02-25-2013, 05:37 AM
The thought of having a 6'10" SF backing up Leonard is quite enticing. It also conjures up what could happen when we put in a 'big' package w Splitter, Baynes and possibly Bertans. The kid definitely has the offensive ability to spread the floor. He'll have to bring a set of ear plugs when he comes over to help him deal with Pop yelling at him in developing his D. He seems to be making good progress though. Another year and a half... looking forward to his updates.

elemento
02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
And Hill's trade looks better and better with time.

Bertans would be way more interesting if he could become a Ryan Anderson type of player.

bluebellmaniac
02-25-2013, 09:54 AM

Bertans would be way more interesting if he could become a Ryan Anderson type of player.

???? Please elaborate.... please....

Update: Never mind.... :-( .... I was thinking Ryan Richards.... LOL!!!

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 09:57 AM

If he ever joins the Spurs, I hope he won't become one of the worst playoff shooters in history.

Sorry elememto, but Anderson is up there with Bargnani on my 'do not want' list.

elemento
02-25-2013, 10:23 AM
hahahahahaha

I understand your feelings about Anderson's pathetic performance in the playoffs Mel, but It's the type of player I would like him to be (a stretch 4 with a sweet release that can rebound). Let's say Horry type of player then to make you fell better about Bertans future. :lol

Yeah, I don't want another mental midget and I think SA fans have had enough with Dick Jefferson and Matt Bonner. I don't think that will be the case with Bertans (at least I hope so).

Mel_13
02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
hahahahahaha

I understand your feelings about Anderson's pathetic performance in the playoffs Mel, but It's the type of player I would like him to be (a stretch 4 with a sweet release that can rebound). Let's say Horry type of player then to make you fell better about Bertans future. :lol

Yeah, I don't want another mental midget and I think SA fans have had enough with Dick Jefferson and Matt Bonner. I don't think that will be the case with Bertans (at least I hope so).

That works.

Bruno
02-25-2013, 12:19 PM
Bertans is having a nice season, it's promising for a player of his age. He looks way more like a SF than a PF.

And he can dunk:
7_o7sL4NzVk

SpursIndonesia
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
^^^^^^^^^^

Those dunks are kinda ....... lame. :D

I don't know, not exactly the dunk perhaps, but the outfit and the grace of his move ........ :p:

Chinook
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Out of all the prospects the Spurs have abroad, Bertans is the one who would have the best chance to being in the rotation were he to come over next season. The Spurs will need to fine depth at both forward spots. His range and length give him a chance to play in a lot of different lineups.

Too bad he's the least likely to make the jump.

BackHome
02-25-2013, 11:43 PM
I have to disagree I think that Hanga will make the roster next year.

Chinook
02-26-2013, 07:43 AM
Who are you disagreeing with? I agree that Hanga is reasonably likely to make the leap over next season, but really, he's not very likely at all to make the rotation. The Spurs will have to like him enough to think they're set with him as Green's back up (provide Manu doesn't come back, which I think he or Jack will) or else they'll bring him someone else to put above him. The Spurs gave De Colo a lot more money than they'll probably need to give to Hanga, and Nando was still down in the rotation for months.

Bertans would almost certainly back up Splitter at the four and perhaps even Leonard at the three. The Spurs have no forward depth besides Diaw. That's why he is the most likely to be in the rotation if he were to come over.

SpursIndonesia
02-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Who are you disagreeing with? I agree that Hanga is reasonably likely to make the leap over next season, but really, he's not very likely at all to make the rotation. The Spurs will have to like him enough to think they're set with him as Green's back up (provide Manu doesn't come back, which I think he or Jack will) or else they'll bring him someone else to put above him. The Spurs gave De Colo a lot more money than they'll probably need to give to Hanga, and Nando was still down in the rotation for months.

Bertans would almost certainly back up Splitter at the four and perhaps even Leonard at the three. The Spurs have no forward depth besides Diaw. That's why he is the most likely to be in the rotation if he were to come over.

Does Bertans have an expensive buy out off his current contract ?

bluebellmaniac
02-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Does Bertans have an expensive buy out off his current contract ?
That would be good to know. I thought I read where he was locked up until the summer of 2014.

He'll have to bulk up quite a bit to play PF by the look of him. All his highlights seem to show him playing the perimeter. Not sure he has the build to bang on the inside. I'd be fine with him just playing SF. Probably not enough speed for the faster SFs in the league, but then again the Spurs system funnel people to the help man. It would be on the offensive end where he would beast. Spreading the court or getting an isolation on his guy, he'd be a mismatched all game long. Keep your fingers crossed he keeps developing.

stnick2261
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
SLAM: What is your contract situation with Olimpija like? Davis Bertans: I have a 6 year contract with NBA buy-outs after every season and European buy-outs starting after the next season.

I would really hope both Bertans and Hanga could join the team this summer and work their way into rotation by the following year

Chinook
02-26-2013, 11:09 AM
I would really hope both Bertans and Hanga could join the team this summer and work their way into rotation by the following year

That's an old quote. About a year ago, Bertans broke that contract and signed a new four-year deal. I'm not sure if that deal has any buyouts. If you read the rest of this thread, that's discussed a little bit.

stnick2261
02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Sorry, I've read this thread many, many times over... I quoted the wrong post (one post after the correct info... which didn't have the contract info)

bluebellmaniac
02-26-2013, 01:10 PM
So this is from ProjectSpurs.com: "The 20-year old Bertans recently signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with the Serbian team KK Partizan, so it is highly doubtful he will make his way to the NBA anytime soon."

Are they phrasing it in terms of the contract expiring halfway through the NBA season or do they actually sign players for half years? Weird in how they noted it... From what Bruno states, there would appear to be escape clauses in this contract, otherwise how would we be looking at having him join in '14?

spurraider21
02-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Could he become a Peja? Seems to have a similar body type and skill set. Probably not the passer Peja was, and its unlikely he's as deadly a sharpshooter. Still, a tall Euro 3 point specialist

Chinook
02-28-2013, 07:48 AM
So this is from ProjectSpurs.com: "The 20-year old Bertans recently signed a three-and-a-half-year contract with the Serbian team KK Partizan, so it is highly doubtful he will make his way to the NBA anytime soon."

Are they phrasing it in terms of the contract expiring halfway through the NBA season or do they actually sign players for half years? Weird in how they noted it... From what Bruno states, there would appear to be escape clauses in this contract, otherwise how would we be looking at having him join in '14?

He signed midway through the 2011-2012 season. So the contract was for the rest of that year, and three more after that. The same source would probably have reported Baynes' deal as a 1.5 year contract.

To the actual topic, now that's it's getting to the mid point of his deal, it's possible that a buyout could become relevant. I still doubt the Spurs will try to pry him away this off-season, but if he continues to improve, he has a great chance of coming over in 2014, especially if the Big Three era ends then.

Bruno
03-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Partizan ended up 4th in the Adriatic league and so, if they don't win the final 4, they won't make the Euroleague next season. No Euroleague next season for Bertans might push Spurs to bring him over this summer.
From what I've seen, he definitely could use another year in Europe even if he only play the Adriatic league and the Eurocup. Spurs might disagree on that and using the Toros to develop him.

bluebellmaniac
03-27-2013, 05:21 AM
Partizan ended up 4th in the Adriatic league and so, if they don't win the final 4, they won't make the Euroleague next season. No Euroleague next season for Bertans might push Spurs to bring him over this summer.
From what I've seen, he definitely could use another year in Europe even if he only play the Adriatic league and the Eurocup. Spurs might disagree on that and using the Toros to develop him.

Hmmmm, I don't think I like this ... at all. Gives the feel that the great meal in the oven is being rushed... doesn't usually turn out great if you shortcut the process and try to just turn up the heat... Here's hoping that they win the final 4 and that he has another shot at developing for 1 more year in the Euroleague. The road to the NBA is littered with phenomenal talent that jumped for the brass ring a little too soon. Kids coming out of college early, etc. It's not just the talent, it's the maturity level as well, that plays a huge part in it. He won't get the same development in the D-League as in Euroleague. I'm pulling for the kid, we sure do need him, but only when he's ready...

Pop
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
If they get rid of Bonner then it makes plenty of sense to me, even tho he's more of a nba SF than PF.

jyra
03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
I would not be so sure about that. The stats (http://www.in-the-game.org/stats.php?player=BERTANS,%20DAVIS&level=player&sub=bypos) show that he is much more productive at the 4 than the 3. Even though the lack of rebounding and shot blocking certainly are problems there. Right now he would struggle guarding either forward spot because he lacks the foot speed and strength to deal with NBA level athletes.

Chinook
03-27-2013, 05:01 PM
Hmmmm, I don't think I like this ... at all. Gives the feel that the great meal in the oven is being rushed... doesn't usually turn out great if you shortcut the process and try to just turn up the heat... Here's hoping that they win the final 4 and that he has another shot at developing for 1 more year in the Euroleague. The road to the NBA is littered with phenomenal talent that jumped for the brass ring a little too soon. Kids coming out of college early, etc. It's not just the talent, it's the maturity level as well, that plays a huge part in it. He won't get the same development in the D-League as in Euroleague. I'm pulling for the kid, we sure do need him, but only when he's ready...

Joseph's development gives me hope that the Spurs could help Bertans reach the next level in Austin. If he were in the d-league, he'd be able to focus on the exact skills he needs to fit what the Spurs want to do. In Europe right now, he's developing in what ever way best serves his current team.

The issue for me would be what contract to give him. It needs to be long enough to give him up to two years in Austin (while not letting him leave as a free agent until at least year 3), but cheap enough to reflect his actual value during those years. Since Bertans can make money in Europe, he shouldn't feel pressured into signing a four-year, near-minimum deal like Blair did.

pad300
03-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Joseph's development gives me hope that the Spurs could help Bertans reach the next level in Austin. If he were in the d-league, he'd be able to focus on the exact skills he needs to fit what the Spurs want to do. In Europe right now, he's developing in what ever way best serves his current team.

The issue for me would be what contract to give him. It needs to be long enough to give him up to two years in Austin (while not letting him leave as a free agent until at least year 3), but cheap enough to reflect his actual value during those years. Since Bertans can make money in Europe, he shouldn't feel pressured into signing a four-year, near-minimum deal like Blair did.

I really doubt the money is a problem for the Spurs and Bertrans. I would be very surprised if the didn't accept a Blair/Baynes 4 year minimum deal, as it is assuredly MUCH more than he can expect to make in Europe given his current level of development. The issue is the roster spot that the spurs would be committing to him. It might take 3 years in Austin before he's ready for the NBA....

yavozerb
04-24-2013, 01:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mawxbSUNAp8

CGD
04-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Pretty impressive seeming.

venitian navigator
04-25-2013, 12:58 AM
The kid looks like a small forward to me. On offense he looks fast, with a good first step and, more than all, a very good and fast shoot from outside, also very good coming out of screens and with very good range (possibly from nba 3 point range). One problem, imho, is that his team looks very fast paced, while our is not; another should be his body strenght, that could be a problem on defense, but on that side I have to say that the problem if limited if he's gonna play small forward and, however, he looks a little better than last year (maybe that's just 'cause he is grown up). Anyway he is definitively looking like an option at the small forward for next year.

Bruno
04-27-2013, 03:07 PM
I watched a little of the Adriatic league final 4 and Bertans looked quite good. Partizan won their semi-final and because of some weird Euroleague rules, it's enough to qualify them for net season Euroleague. This qualification should push Spurs to let Bertans another year in Europe.

Edit: They just won the final 4 with again a good Bertans.

jesterbobman
04-27-2013, 03:33 PM
If he'll be able to play Euroleague ball, it's definitely worth keeping him over there. Also, the Spurs probably want to give him a contract similar to the one they gave Blair, which means using cap space or MLE. I think they'll want to go one big FA with cap space this year, then next year use MLE for depth player+ long term min deals.

BackHome
04-27-2013, 04:19 PM
It would be good for him to stay another year over in that league and get a little stronger still think he will stay a tweener SF/PF.

Bruno
04-28-2013, 06:44 AM
PhX-EvtyqZE

CGD
04-28-2013, 08:45 AM
He would be the equivalent of a rising college junior. That is comparatively old for some prospects to be starting the NBA these days. Compared to the players in this draft at his age, I can't think of many that have a better game at this point in their development. I think he comes over sooner rather than later. It probably all turns on salary size and buyout amount (isn't he under contract for one more year?).

exstatic
04-28-2013, 09:23 AM
He would be the equivalent of a rising college junior. That is comparatively old for some prospects to be starting the NBA these days. Compared to the players in this draft at his age, I can't think of many that have a better game at this point in their development. I think he comes over sooner rather than later. It probably all turns on salary size and buyout amount (isn't he under contract for one more year?).

Manu and Splitter both came over at or older than 25 years old.

BackHome
04-28-2013, 01:42 PM
When bringing a player over it comes down to four things...Players Buyout, New Contract, Current Roster Contracts, And Can the Person Play.

Bruno
04-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Bertans will be in San Antonio between the end of the season with Partizan and the start of the Latvian NT campaign. He doesn't know where he will play next season.

Link (in Serbian): http://www.b92.net/sport/kosarka/vesti.php?yyyy=2013&mm=04&dd=28&nav_id=709370

OT: Spurs other euro draftee have also had a nice week end with 28 points for Hanga in Spain and 21 points, 7 assists for Denmon in France.

exstatic
04-28-2013, 09:02 PM
When bringing a player over it comes down to four things...Players Buyout, New Contract, Current Roster Contracts, And Can the Person Play.
Pretty much.

Sometimes, the timing works out, other times (Scola, Giricek) it doesn't.

ABC
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Bertans will be in San Antonio between the end of the season with Partizan and the start of the Latvian NT campaign. He doesn't know where he will play next season.

That's good news. If I read Partizan's calendar correctly, their last scheduled game is May 25th. Will they play much beyond that? Sounds like the Spurs should get a good look to see if he's ready for a roster spot (or even the backup SF spot possibly).

If Bertans is coming over, maybe signing a cheap vet SF makes sense as he acclimates. Seems like we're already running low on roster spots for next year.

Bruno
04-28-2013, 09:55 PM
That's good news. If I read Partizan's calendar correctly, their last scheduled game is May 25th. Will they play much beyond that? Sounds like the Spurs should get a good look to see if he's ready for a roster spot (or even the backup SF spot possibly).

If Bertans is coming over, maybe signing a cheap vet SF makes sense as he acclimates. Seems like we're already running low on roster spots for next year.

May 25th is the last game of Serbian league regular season. When Partizan will play their last game will depend on what they do in playoffs. Worst case for Spurs would be Partizan playing their last game on June 15th.

For the rest, I agree with you. Bertans will obviously be signed to be the backup SF but Spurs would need to sign an insurance player with a cheap ego-less vet. A player like Mike Miller could fill that spot nicely.

ABC
04-28-2013, 10:38 PM
May 25th is the last game of Serbian league regular season. When Partizan will play their last game will depend on what they do in playoffs. Worst case for Spurs would be Partizan playing their last game on June 15th.

For the rest, I agree with you. Bertans will obviously be signed to be the backup SF but Spurs would need to sign an insurance player with a cheap ego-less vet. A player like Mike Miller could fill that spot nicely.

:tu Sounds like a pretty good scenario. It'll be interesting to see if the Spurs are that high on Bertans. Sounds like they might be.

spurraider21
04-30-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mawxbSUNAp8
Well that's a super impressive game. Granted some of those looks were shootaround open, but he hit a few long shots with the defenders hand right in his face, and also threw down a contested dunk

CGD
04-30-2013, 05:43 PM
SF back up positions Seems like Bertans' to lose. Performance this summer should dictate whether Spurs go after a player like Casspi/wright or not. I hope this kid comes this summer. I have been impressed with what folks have shared about his play recently.

jyra
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
I wonder if he is going to play for the Latvian national team at the Eurobasket tournament (4.-22. September). If he is participating, he would probably not be able to play in the Summer League. Even though it takes place in July, that is also the time where the national teams are practicing and playing tuneup games.
I would expect him to play because he already did so in the qualification tournament last year.

Uriel
04-30-2013, 08:56 PM

Do you think he's already good enough at this stage of his career to be a full-time backup SF?

Given their history, wouldn't it make more sense for the Spurs to sign someone like Omri Casspi to man that role, and have Bertans be the 3rd stringer at SF?

yavozerb
04-30-2013, 09:06 PM
I know this question is for Bruno but I will still throw my 2 cents in. No, Bertans cannot play any defense or rebound at this time and the only thing he can contribute right now is 3pt shooting. Yes, Casspi is the much better choice at this time for the spurs if the option was between these 2 for next season as the back up sf (not even close). Bertans needs to stay in Europe for at least 2 more seasons in my opinion.

Bruno
04-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Do you think he's already good enough at this stage of his career to be a full-time backup SF?

Given their history, wouldn't it make more sense for the Spurs to sign someone like Omri Casspi to man that role, and have Bertans be the 3rd stringer at SF?

Bertans will likely need a transition year. Spurs will need to have a vet insurance player to cover him.

smaka
05-01-2013, 05:23 AM

I heard Partizan players don't recieve salaries on a regular basis, so that might be an additional case for his uncertainty.

yavozerb
05-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Great news..Click on read more for buyout info as well.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://mercafichajes.es/tag/davis-bertans/&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddavis%2Bbertans%26client%3Dsafari%26s a%3DX%26rls%3Den%26biw%3D1273%26bih%3D686%26tbs%3D qdr:d

CGD
05-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Dude is coming. Looking at the videos, it looks like he's got the Euro game down well -- great shooter, decent handles, runs the court well. The next step in his evolution would be to develop a good midrange game, defense, and bulking up a bit. The NBA seems like a no brainer in his development right now, not to mention the Spurs need a back up 3.

Ocotillo
05-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Is his name pronounced Dah Vees or Day Viss?

yavozerb
05-04-2013, 08:54 PM
Another pretty good game for bertans..16 pts and 1 rebound. Yes, 1 rebound. definatly a part of his game that needs alot of work

http://www1.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2013-05-04/KK-Partizan-at-KK-Mega-Vizura/123473

Chinook
05-05-2013, 12:25 AM
^That link also says Bertans WILL play in the summer league this year. Since I doubt Leonard or Joseph will play, the Spurs' SL team could be interesting: Bertans, Denmon, potentially Richards and Hanga and whomever the Spurs draft.

Looks like I'll be coughing up the 15 bucks for the summer league pass again.

bluebellmaniac
05-05-2013, 03:23 AM
^That link also says Bertans WILL play in the summer league this year. Since I doubt Leonard or Joseph will play, the Spurs' SL team could be interesting: Bertans, Denmon, potentially Richards and Hanga and whomever the Spurs draft.

I heard that Denmon had broken a foot early in the year. Has anyone heard how his recovery has gone? Good as new?

Chinook
05-05-2013, 07:12 AM
I heard that Denmon had broken a foot early in the year. Has anyone heard how his recovery has gone? Good as new?

He's playing again, and I heard he had a good game (20+ points) last weekend.

smaka
05-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Is his name pronounced Dah Vees or Day Viss?

First one.

ace3g
05-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Project Spurs interview with him

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/may/davis-bertans-discusses-his-season-in-europe-upcoming-trip-to-san-anotnio.html

ABC
05-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Project Spurs interview with him

http://www.projectspurs.com/2013-articles/may/davis-bertans-discusses-his-season-in-europe-upcoming-trip-to-san-anotnio.html

yavozerb
05-19-2013, 08:43 PM
Kid keeps on rolling with player of the week honors.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/Serbia/news/Bertans_24_points_and_6_rebounds_give_him_Player_o f_the_Week_award/317335

Bertans' 24 points and 6 rebounds give him Player of the Week award - May 19, 2013

POSTED BY:
EUROBASKET NEWS
follow us on

Davis
Bertans
20-year old Davis Bertans (210-SF-92) put on an amazing game in the last round for league's best team Partizan and receives a Eurobasket.com Player of the Week award for round 12 (Second Stage).
He had the game-high 24 points adding six rebounds for Partizan in his team's victory, helping them to outclass Metalac (#6, 3-9) with 26-point margin 88-62. It allowed Partizan to consolidate first place in the Serbian league. Partizan have a solid 10-2 record. In the team's last game Bertans had a remarkable 85.7% from 2-point range and got four three-pointers out of 8 attempts. He turned to be Partizan's top player in his first season with the team. Davis Bertans averages this season 13.8ppg.

ABC
05-20-2013, 07:15 AM
I'm on Bertans' bandwagon :)

Maddog
05-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Kid keeps on rolling with player of the week honors.

http://basketball.eurobasket.com/Serbia/news/Bertans_24_points_and_6_rebounds_give_him_Player_o f_the_Week_award/317335

Bertans' 24 points and 6 rebounds give him Player of the Week award - May 19, 2013

POSTED BY:
EUROBASKET NEWS
follow us on

Davis
Bertans
20-year old Davis Bertans (210-SF-92) put on an amazing game in the last round for league's best team Partizan and receives a Eurobasket.com Player of the Week award for round 12 (Second Stage).
He had the game-high 24 points adding six rebounds for Partizan in his team's victory, helping them to outclass Metalac (#6, 3-9) with 26-point margin 88-62. It allowed Partizan to consolidate first place in the Serbian league. Partizan have a solid 10-2 record. In the team's last game Bertans had a remarkable 85.7% from 2-point range and got four three-pointers out of 8 attempts. He turned to be Partizan's top player in his first season with the team. Davis Bertans averages this season 13.8ppg.
Jeez- I keep forgetting he will not turn 21 till November

benefactor
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I'll put the chances of Bertans being with the Spurs when next season starts at about 75%.

Bill_Brasky
05-20-2013, 01:41 PM

I've said this exact sentence 3 summers in a row now.

Chinook
05-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I've said this exact sentence 3 summers in a row now.

Indeed. What's really sad is that I'm actually home now and have NBA TV for the first time ever and I still will probably spend the money for the convenience of it. The service has definitely been worth the money over the last few years.

jesterbobman
05-20-2013, 03:17 PM
Even if he's not ready to play next year, he might be worth bringing over on the idea that it takes a year to learn the system. If you want him in 2014, and you have roster space it's probably worth it.

99 Problems
05-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Although it did not take place Pop I think was thinking Lorbek was coming last post season. As we not going to see him I think Bertans with his improvement will be at the front of Pop's thinking.

Bruno
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Bertans is currently playing the Serbian league that is a league with some very good but some very bad teams. His stats for some games aren't that relevant because of the low quality of the opponents.

Saying that, Bertans has had a very good season. I'm not sure if he should stay another year in Europe or not, but he is a promising prospect.

ABC
05-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Another good game by Bertans: 22 points on 7 for 14 shooting, 5 boards, 2 blocks in 23 minutes.

http://basketball.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2013-05-28/KK-Novi-Sad-at-KK-Partizan/126316
(http://basketball.realgm.com/international/boxscore/2013-05-28/KK-Novi-Sad-at-KK-Partizan/126316)
That said, it wasn't a very competitive game. If anyone is familiar with the Serbian league, I believe there are only four teams left and that Partizan is in the playoffs of the Super League. So, Novi Sad should at least be a decent team, but I don't actually know. Also was this the first in a best of three for Partizan?

...and my vote is to bring Bertans over this year. Otherwise we might not be able to afford him :)

racm
05-29-2013, 07:31 PM
6'10" wing with a great shot and hops?

Can't be worse than Steve Novak

Bruno
05-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Highlights of his last game:
DzbTAkou8DE

The most interesting part of the Serbian league should be the expected finals between Partizan and Red Star. Both are good teams and there is a huge rivalry between them for decades. These derbies at the Pionir arena are usually some crazy shit.

BackHome
05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
It looks like the only thing he needs to work on are his foot speed and his strength. With that said I think it is better for him to be signed because it is going to take him a year to get to know the Spurs plays and also a year to add on muscle. I would feel safer having the Spurs organization help oversee him adding strength and muscle as it is so easy to mess up your shoulder by not lifting correctly. Either way it is going to be fun watching the Spurs summer leauge..

C: Baynes
PF: Richards
SF: Bertrans
SG: Adam
PG: ?

100%duncan
05-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I would love to see this kid and Hanga in a Spurs Jersey next season.

ABC
05-29-2013, 10:57 PM
Thanks Bruno, those highlights are great, blocks, alley-oops, and fearless 3 point shooting. He looks great. He looks ready for a bump up in his level of competition.

Chinook
05-30-2013, 02:32 AM
I think he should come over if he's willing to accept a long-term cheap deal and at least a year of development in Austin. It's clear he can play, so the Spurs should focus on developing his body and game to fit whatever role they want him to play. Bringing him stateside would secure the proper coaching, as well as give him some time to acclimate to the U.S. and life in the NBA. Don't rely on him to back up Leonard right away, but definitely put him on the roster.

sinok
05-30-2013, 05:36 AM
The partizan is probably the best coaching for young players you can find through all europe.
Their team is insanely young, yet playing in Euroleague, a league that is leagues above (and I'm being kind) D-League in terms systems (offensive and defensive), intensity, maturity.
In that sense, he has way much experience to gather there than in Austin.

Furthermore, the coaching staff (inclunding Duško Vujošević (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du%C5%A1ko_Vujo%C5%A1evi%C4%87) as the head coach) in Belgrad is really reknowed for young players development and one of the best in Europe.
And as they are a bit short on cash, they tend to rely on young domestic and euro players. (the oldest gui in their roster is 25, current roster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KK_Partizan_Belgrade#Current_roster) )

ace3g
05-30-2013, 11:00 AM
It might have been mentioned before but in most of his vids he is wearing knee pads, does he have issues with his knees?

Chinook
05-30-2013, 11:26 AM
The partizan is probably the best coaching for young players you can find through all europe.
Their team is insanely young, yet playing in Euroleague, a league that is leagues above (and I'm being kind) D-League in terms systems (offensive and defensive), intensity, maturity.
In that sense, he has way much experience to gather there than in Austin.

Furthermore, the coaching staff (inclunding Duško Vujošević (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du%C5%A1ko_Vujo%C5%A1evi%C4%87) as the head coach) in Belgrad is really reknowed for young players development and one of the best in Europe.
And as they are a bit short on cash, they tend to rely on young domestic and euro players. (the oldest gui in their roster is 25, current roster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KK_Partizan_Belgrade#Current_roster) )

I'm not saying the Partizan league is not a good league, and I'm definitely not saying the d-league is better. I'm just saying that when Bertans is on the Spurs' payroll, they can develop him how they want. So long as another team is paying him, they'll have the ultimate say in how he matures. Does another team want him to put on weight and try to be a four instead of playing as a three? Do the Spurs want him to focus more on drives to the lane instead of shooting threes? It's possible that both teams have the same goals for Bertans' development, but cutting out the middle man would allow the Spurs to remove any doubts. Also, he'd have a year to learn the system and adjust to the U.S. That might also trump better competition.

Bruno
05-30-2013, 02:22 PM
It might have been mentioned before but in most of his vids he is wearing knee pads, does he have issues with his knees?

He had knee issues a couple of years ago but he has been fine since that.

Bruno
05-30-2013, 02:30 PM
For French speaking people, I highly recommend to watch the great documentary made by canal+ on Westermann and the Partizan. Even if it's not centered on him, there is some very good Bertans stuff in it.

ABC
05-30-2013, 03:19 PM
For French speaking people, I highly recommend to watch the great documentary made by canal+ on Westermann and the Partizan. Even if it's not centered on him, there is some very good Bertans stuff in it.

Unfortunately I don't speak French, but I still understood enough to enjoy it. Thanks!

Aside:
I'm not sure if others would have interest, but maybe a sticky thread devoted to "General International Basketball" would be useful. I have questions that seem like "Think Tank" material, but don't fit a particular thread. For example, as a result of following the Spurs' international players, I'm trying to understand European basketball better and was wondering what the logic is to having 5 game series in the quarterfinals of the Euroleague, but then having single elimination games in the Final Four. I can't figure out a good place to ask such questions.

maverick1948
05-30-2013, 08:49 PM
Summer league will decide where he plays this next season. Europe or Dleague or SA. If it was me, I would say Dleague.

ABC
05-31-2013, 09:17 AM
Partizan won their best of three series last night and is now in the Serbian Super League finals. 7 points, 2 boards, 2 steals, 1 assist for Bertans. Thanks to sinok for finding a box score for me:

http://www.eurobasket.com/boxScores/Serbia/2013/0530_1543_170.asp

ABC
06-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Red Star won their semi-final series today, so Partizan (Bertans' team) will meet them in the Serbian Super League finals starting Wednesday. I don't know the history between the two, but both are based in Belgrade. Bruno, was that Red Star that Partizan was playing in that crazy game in the canal+ documentary you posted?

Bruno
06-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Red Star won their semi-final series today, so Partizan (Bertans' team) will meet them in the Serbian Super League finals starting Wednesday. I don't know the history between the two, but both are based in Belgrade. Bruno, was that Red Star that Partizan was playing in that crazy game in the canal+ documentary you posted?

Partizan and Red Star are both playing in Belgrade and in the same arena called Pionir. The rivalry between these teams is so big mostly because there are a lot of violence, fights, hate between "fans". It galvanized players.

In the Canal+ documentary, they first showed a game between Partizan and Red Star in a neutral arena. The game wasn't able to reach its ends because "fans" started to go on the court and throw a fire extinguisher on it.
They then explained how a game at Pionir between Partizan/Red Star happens at Pionir. Only fans of the "home" teams are allowed in the arena to avoid fights. Players of the "away" team don't go like usually at the arena by themselves. They meet outside the town where they take a bus escorted by the police to reach safely the arena. You can also see a tunnel in plastic between the locker room and the side of the court and transparent plastic panels behind the bench. These protections are to avoid "away" players being hit by object throw by fans like coins, cell phone batteries, firecrackers...

On a side note, Partizan coach said in this reportage a motto that I find stronger that Pop pounding the rock motto: "A team is like a submarine. If a player makes a mistake, we are all dead."

ABC
06-02-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks Bruno :tu I'm not sure I'll ever understand this level of rabidness in fans. I really like the Spurs and there are other teams and players I dislike, but I can't imagine getting to the point where I'd want to hurt players or other fans. It seems crazy. In the documentary, I thought Bertans was struggling in practice because of fatigue. Was it fear? What did his coach tell him?

Anyway, if things don't get out of control, the atmosphere at the games should be pretty incredible. Go Partizan Go! (and be safe)

Bruno
06-03-2013, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure I'll ever understand this level of rabidness in fans. I really like the Spurs and there are other teams and players I dislike, but I can't imagine getting to the point where I'd want to hurt players or other fans. It seems crazy. In the documentary, I thought Bertans was struggling in practice because of fatigue. Was it fear? What did his coach tell him?

The vast majority of basketball fans in Europe are like you but there are some extreme violent fans in ex-Yougoslavia, Greece and Turkey.

The explanation of the scene between Bertans and the coach is :
After practices, some Partizan's player sometimes have to do a drill when they can only leave the court after having made 10 threes in a row. Most of the times, it takes few minutes and a week earlier Bertans even beat his record with 17 threes made in a row. The day it was filmed, and after a 2h30 practice, Bertans still hasn't made 10 three's in a row after after having tried for 1h. He started to lose his cool. The coach come and said that it wasn't because he wasn't able to make 10 three in a row that he should lose his cool. He just should keep trying. They gave him another 45 minutes to make the 10 threes but he failed.

ABC
06-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Thanks Bruno. Sounds like he's being pushed pretty hard in Partizan. Should help him later.

stxspurs
06-03-2013, 10:28 PM
It looks like the only thing he needs to work on are his foot speed and his strength. With that said I think it is better for him to be signed because it is going to take him a year to get to know the Spurs plays and also a year to add on muscle. I would feel safer having the Spurs organization help oversee him adding strength and muscle as it is so easy to mess up your shoulder by not lifting correctly. Either way it is going to be fun watching the Spurs summer leauge..

C: Baynes
PF: Richards
SF: Bertrans
SG: Adam
PG: ?

joseph?