PDA

View Full Version : Lets all eat some bear meat in support of SAS but be careful!

Rummpd
04-15-2011, 02:08 PM
In preparation for the coming absolute beat down of the "tanking and mentally soft" Grizzlies by the Spurs I am searching for some bear meat to eat pre-game, and lots of great recipies available!

Black Bear Stew

4 to 5 lbs. bear meat cut in 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup flour
1 tbs. italian seasoning
4 tbs. butter
2 tbs. vegetable or corn oil
1 large onion diced
1 8 oz. tin beef broth
4 bay leaves (do not eat)
2 lb. small. potatoes
1 lb. fresh mushrooms if button size do not slice
5 carrots sliced
1 turnip cubed (important ingred..)
5 parsnip sliced (optional)
Here's how Bobo does it Preheat oven to 325 Deg.. put flour with seasonings in plastic bag and shake until bear meat coated, combine oil and butter in skillet and brown meat and drain off grease from meat. In a large dutch oven add 2 or 3 qts. of water and all ingredients. Cook approx. 2 to 3 hrs. adding water if necessary checking every 30 mins.,
serve with fresh rolls or italian bread.

http://www.mohuntin.com/custom.html

But if you do the same be careful as Grizzlies can not only tank they can be sick bears!Bulletin No. 10
May 3, 1985
TRICHINOSIS OUTBREAK TRACED TO GRIZZLY
BEAR MEAT AT BIRTHDAY PARTY
http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulletins/docs/b1985_10.htm
On March 15, 1985 an alert Kotzebue physician reported a case of possible trichinosis in a 30-year-old woman from Ambler. The patient was ill with myalgias, diarrhea, fever, vomiting and had an eosinophilia of 63%. Epidemiologic investigation led to the discovery of 11 additional individuals with trichinosis who consumed grizzly bear meat at a birthday party in January 1985.

Sixteen individuals were present for the birthday party at which bear soup prepared from frozen grizzly bear meat was served. Frozen bear meat was cut into bite-size pieces and cooked along with vegetables for 1 to 2 hours to make bear soup. Six additional meals were prepared from this meat by family members and neighbors. The grizzly bear was killed on December 19 outside Ambler.

Man In Black
04-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Where the hell does one go to buy bear meat in a major metropolitan area?

Ed Helicopter Jones
04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I'll stick to canned luncheon meat.

Anonymous Cowherd
04-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Had some due to be used by the 6th but ended up having it on the 8th so it could accompany a delicious and well-aged sauce. But the lag turned bad what could have been a well-enjoyed quality cut of meat.

TE
04-15-2011, 02:35 PM
wtf? Bear meat?

John Basedow
04-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I say we do it!...and trichinosis be damned!*

*5 gold stars to the person who gets that reference.

Rummpd
04-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I have some friends who hunt and within a few hundred of miles of the DC area there are bears but not as big as Grizz of course and a bow hunter friend claims to have some frozen bear from a trip to Canada; but I am not eager to taste that old stuff.

Grizz in the wild are a fearsome sight as I have brother who lives in Cody, WI and they range free around there and in Alaska. On a public health trip to Fairbanks Alaska I saw one of these and a moose and both are huge beasts that occiassionally wander into the "metropolitan" area such as it up there. The unusual thing was the week before a professor at a university had been stomped by a moose but rarely do the Grizz attack humans, but I did not get close enough to find out.

Bad joke of the week:

Two men see a Grizz that starts chasing them and growling them and gets within a hundred yards or so coming up the side of hill.

The thinner guy bends over and quickly starts to tie his shoe, and his fatter buddy says, "what the hell are you doing that bear will be up the hill here in 30 seconds and we have to run like hell".

Thin guy says: "No worries, I only have to outrun you"

"No worries - Spurs got this series bear meat or not!"

dbestpro
04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Do you have a recipe for catfish?

I think that will be their new nickname after feeding so hard on the bottom of the tank.

John Basedow
04-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Do you have a recipe for catfish?

I think that will be their new nickname after feeding so hard on the bottom of the tank.

I didn't realize lefty had multiple accounts, tbh.

dbestpro
04-15-2011, 02:52 PM
I didn't realize lefty had multiple accounts, tbh.

Keep fishing.

John Basedow
04-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Keep fishing.

For catfish?

I. Hustle
04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
You're sweet like bear meat

Obstructed_View
04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
I say we do it!...and trichinosis be damned!*

*5 gold stars to the person who gets that reference.

The far side?

admiralsnackbar
04-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Back when I worked at the restaurant, one of my coworkers was into bear meat. In a big way.

John Basedow
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
The far side?

http://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ld/projects/trc/2009/manual/images/elem_p_stars.jpg