PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Team in History

JR3
04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
So I was reading the thread "most overrated team in history" refering to the grizzlies and how a lot of people are putting the Spurs on a major upset alert. BUT I got to thinking and ... isn't it really that the Spurs are the most underrated team in history? A lot of people are not even giving us a shot? This memphis team is not even playoff tested. I can understand everyone's concern about our age and lack of size but really? this is getting out of control. The Spurs, if not already, are very much the most underrated team at least in this year's playoffs. The media just hates the Spurs... and even Spurs fans are starting to fall for their BS. Come'On Man!:flag:

JR3
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
If you believe in the Spurs, respond to the thread. If not, there are plenty of other threads in this forum to post in for doubters.:flag:

TE
04-15-2011, 04:06 PM
I would say they are the most underrated contending team in Spurs team history. Saying that they're the most underrated team in History is taken it a bit to far.

Mel_13
04-15-2011, 04:07 PM
I believe in the Spurs, but I don't think that they are underrated.

Then again, I don't pay much attention to the "experts" and their predictions. Too many of those guys having been writing obituaries for the Spurs since 2006 and they're just pissed that the Spurs won't just go away.

JR3
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM
I would say they are the most underrated contending team in Spurs team history. Saying that they're the most underrated team in History is taken it a bit to far.

Agreed. "in history" is exagerating.

spurs_fan_in_exile
04-15-2011, 04:27 PM
It's fair to say they are probably the most underrated of the batch of contenders this year. At the same time it's worth saying that this is as deep a field of legit contenders as I can ever remember. There's 7 teams that I wouldn't be surprised to see winning the whole thing. Even though they haven't looked super sharp of late both the Spurs and Celtics have too much experience to be discounted. The Lakers and Thunder have both looked great since the all star break. Miami's steadily improved as the year's gone on and just have too much talent to ignore. Dallas has underperformed when people have them as favorites, but they're so far under the radar that they could shock the world. And of course Chicago's playing such great ball right now. With so many options out there I think every fanbase's diehards are going to feel their squad's being badly underrated this year.

JR3
04-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Fixed.

JR3
04-15-2011, 04:41 PM
It's fair to say they are probably the most underrated of the batch of contenders this year. At the same time it's worth saying that this is as deep a field of legit contenders as I can ever remember. There's 7 teams that I wouldn't be surprised to see winning the whole thing. Even though they haven't looked super sharp of late both the Spurs and Celtics have too much experience to be discounted. The Lakers and Thunder have both looked great since the all star break. Miami's steadily improved as the year's gone on and just have too much talent to ignore. Dallas has underperformed when people have them as favorites, but they're so far under the radar that they could shock the world. And of course Chicago's playing such great ball right now. With so many options out there I think every fanbase's diehards are going to feel their squad's being badly underrated this year.

I agree. I don't remember a year where there were this many legit contenders. Which makes the Spurs record that much more impressive. The Bulls look very strong and are my favorite to come out of the east. I would be fine with OKC or Chicago winning it. I just don't want to see the Spurs go down earlier than the western conference finals. And I most definately don't want to see the Lakers and Heat/Celtics in the finals. I throw up in my mouth at the thought of that.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2011, 04:48 PM
So I was reading the thread "most overrated team in history" refering to the grizzlies and how a lot of people are putting the Spurs on a major upset alert. BUT I got to thinking and ... isn't it really that the Spurs are the most underrated team in history? A lot of people are not even giving us a shot? This memphis team is not even playoff tested. I can understand everyone's concern about our age and lack of size but really? this is getting out of control. The Spurs, if not already, are very much the most underrated team at least in this year's playoffs. The media just hates the Spurs... and even Spurs fans are starting to fall for their BS. Come'On Man!:flag:

Just because nobody talks about them doesn't mean they aren't liked. Who the hell is underrating the Spurs? Name me a player/coach/analyst not named Jon Barry who is underrating the Spurs.

Its called "buildup". Nobody wants to watch a series thats over before it begins. They actually want viewers outside of the representing states to watch the actual games.

Memphis happens to match up well against the Spurs. The two games in SA were close to the finish and the two in Memphis were losses. If the Spurs play defense like they did during the regular season, I wouldn't put it past Memphis to beat them. This forum is drastically "overrating" the Spurs. They're not nearly as dominant as you think.

JR3
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Just because nobody talks about them doesn't mean they aren't liked. Who the hell is underrating the Spurs? Name me a player/coach/analyst not named Jon Barry who is underrating the Spurs.

Its called "buildup". Nobody wants to watch a series thats over before it begins. They actually want viewers outside of the representing states to watch the actual games.

Memphis happens to match up well against the Spurs. The two games in SA were close to the finish and the two in Memphis were losses. If the Spurs play defense like they did during the regular season, I wouldn't put it past Memphis to beat them. This forum is drastically "overrating" the Spurs. They're not nearly as dominant as you think.

I refuse to explain what "underrated" means to a cavs fan. But to answer your question: see Charles Barkely.

howbouthemspurs
04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
The Spurs were never really in the spot light.... even when they won titles. There was always something else grabbing the media attention. Like laker drama, kobe drama, shaq and kobe drama, Phil Jackson Drama or somethin that simple minded people cared about just a little bit more than the Spurs.

Bruno
04-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Even if Spurs have a great record there are some very worrisome concern about them especially on the defensive end. NAB analyst have serious reasons not to high on them.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
I refuse to explain what "underrated" means to a cavs fan. But to answer your question: see Charles Barkely.

What you meant by "underrated" was "Why is nobody paying attention to me? I need to start another pointless thread so I can bathe in Spurstalk love... LOVE ME!!!!!"

I give you a 0 for originality.

EDIT: Who gives a flaming fart what Charles has to say. He's not a real analyst. He's a gimmick to try to boost ratings for TNT. He says whatever is on his mind regardless of how retarded it sounds coming out of his mouth.

JR3
04-15-2011, 05:52 PM
What you meant by "underrated" was "Why is nobody paying attention to me? I need to start another pointless thread so I can bathe in Spurstalk love... LOVE ME!!!!!"

I give you a 0 for originality.

That hurts.

JR3
04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
EDIT: Who gives a flaming fart what Charles has to say. He's not a real analyst. He's a gimmick to try to boost ratings for TNT. He says whatever is his mind regardless of how retarded it sounds coming out of his mouth.

So why don't you name an analyst that is credible in your opinion who has picked the spurs to go deep? Don't bother looking at Rick Riley's picks on ESPN.. he has Denver beating the Spurs in the second round.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2011, 06:05 PM
That hurts.

This forum can start its own classic section dedicated to "Things Charles Barkely and Jon Barry like to say"

Everytime they open their mouth, 2 or 3 new threads added to the front page.

Hoops Czar
04-15-2011, 06:35 PM
So why don't you name an analyst that is credible in your opinion who has picked the spurs to go deep? Don't bother looking at Rick Riley's picks on ESPN.. he has Denver beating the Spurs in the second round.

Your talking about two different things. Do you want credible analysts or analyst's who pick the Spurs to go deep? There aren't many who pick the Spurs to go deep for good reason. There are a bunch of teams playing better than them, and the defense is nowhere near championship level. This team has serious issues heading into the postseason and if they don't get serious contributions from players like Neal, Bonner, Hill and Blair, its going to be a rough ride.

LA is the two-time defending champs, they deserve all the accolades until they've been beaten. Oklahoma City and Denver are young and deep, and two of the hottest teams since the All-star break. Analyst's usually go with the hot hand and that isn't the Spurs. Many of them see the Spurs as good, but not great. All the more gratifying if they win despite the recognition and support.

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2011-nba-finals-odds-and-pick/

Miami Heat 2.75 to 1
Los Angeles Lakers 3 to 1
Chicago Bulls 4 to 1
San Antonio Spurs 6 to 1
Boston Celtics 6 to 1
Oklahoma City Thunder 14 to 1
Dallas Mavericks 16 to 1
Orlando Magic 18 to 1
New York Knicks 50 to 1
Denver Nuggets 60 to 1
Portland Trail Blazers 60 to 1
Atlanta Hawks 100 to 1
Philadelphia 76ers 150 to 1
Memphis Grizzlies 150 to 1
New Orleans Hornets 200 to 1
Indiana Pacers 200 to 1The oddsmakers have the Spurs at 6 to 1.

Obstructed_View
04-15-2011, 07:03 PM

There are probably seven teams that have a real chance to get to the western conference finals. I don't think I remember the last time that's happened.

peskypesky
04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
fuck all the haters!!!!

SPURS!!!!!!!! :flag::flag::flag:

JR3
04-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Your talking about two different things. Do you want credible analysts or analyst's who pick the Spurs to go deep? There aren't many who pick the Spurs to go deep for good reason. There are a bunch of teams playing better than them, and the defense is nowhere near championship level. This team has serious issues heading into the postseason and if they don't get serious contributions from players like Neal, Bonner, Hill and Blair, its going to be a rough ride.

LA is the two-time defending champs, they deserve all the accolades until they've been beaten. Oklahoma City and Denver are young and deep, and two of the hottest teams since the All-star break. Analyst's usually go with the hot hand and that isn't the Spurs. Many of them see the Spurs as good, but not great. All the more gratifying if they win despite the recognition and support.

http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2011-nba-finals-odds-and-pick/

The oddsmakers have the Spurs at 6 to 1.
Isn't this the story every year though? Everyone sees us as good but not great? We even win 4 championships and analyst still have trouble envisioning the Spurs with another trophy. I just think that it is odd that we are the number 1 seed and there is no love. The bank roll odds are pretty good and I agree they are accurate. I was watching SN last night and once again another analyst picked us to get upset in the first round. I understand there are matchup problems with memphis, but this is a seven game series and he was too confident in saying that the spurs would get upset. As a spurs fan, I'm use to this and it doesn't hurt my feelings, its just shocking because I just thought out of all years, this year would be the year that a few analysts give the spurs the benifit of the doubt. Anyways... on with the playoffs.

TampaDude
04-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Spurs and Heat in the Finals.

Book.

It.

Manu20
04-16-2011, 11:49 AM
This is from NBA.com

The Spurs are the West's top seed and boast a new-look offense (and a sometimes-suspect defense). They hope to catch the conference -- starting with Memphis -- off-guard.

How are we going to catch memphis off-guard if the spurs are the #1 seed??? :rolleyes

Dex
04-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Honestly, Spurs fans should be loving this. We tore through the regular season, have HCA through the West and still second best record in the league overall, and the Spurs are still flying completely under the radar due to some late season struggles.

As long as they can overcome those quips, I'm perfectly fine with the media sleeping on San Antonio.

SenorSpur
04-16-2011, 02:06 PM
One thing is for certain - the Spurs NEVER underestimate or take their opponents lightly.

rascal
04-16-2011, 06:37 PM
Isn't this the story every year though? Everyone sees us as good but not great? We even win 4 championships and analyst still have trouble envisioning the Spurs with another trophy. I just think that it is odd that we are the number 1 seed and there is no love. The bank roll odds are pretty good and I agree they are accurate. I was watching SN last night and once again another analyst picked us to get upset in the first round. I understand there are matchup problems with memphis, but this is a seven game series and he was too confident in saying that the spurs would get upset. As a spurs fan, I'm use to this and it doesn't hurt my feelings, its just shocking because I just thought out of all years, this year would be the year that a few analysts give the spurs the benifit of the doubt. Anyways... on with the playoffs.

Weren't the Spurs the clear cut favorites in 1999?

DMC
04-16-2011, 09:39 PM
We won't know until after the Finals.

Historically the Spurs are not underrated, just under-exposed.

Hoops Czar
04-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Now do you see why so many analysts picked the Spurs to be upset in the first round? They are professionals in their field (except for Charles of course). The Spurs aren't nearly as good as this forum makes them out to be. Everybody in the real world already knew this. Everybody in Spurstalk is living in their own little fantasy world.

Harry Callahan
04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Now do you see why so many analysts picked the Spurs to be upset in the first round? They are professionals in their field (except for Charles of course). The Spurs aren't nearly as good as this forum makes them out to be. Everybody in the real world already knew this. Everybody in Spurstalk is living in their own little fantasy world.

You must not read this forum much then is that is your opinion. There has been a lot of doubts about the Spurs for a while now.

If Manu pre-Phoenix game had been available in this series, would would be talking about a much different series.

The lack of size of front would eventually doom this team if they get past Memphis.

Hoops Czar
04-26-2011, 12:09 AM
You must not read this forum much then is that is your opinion. There has been a lot of doubts about the Spurs for a while now.

If Manu pre-Phoenix game had been available in this series, would would be talking about a much different series.

The lack of size of front would eventually doom this team if they get past Memphis.

Help me help you. What the hell are you trying to say? If its the outcome would be different had Manu not injured his non-shooting elbow against the Suns, then think again. This forum is also famous for making up pitiful excuses. Manu is hit or miss from game to game. One night, he's great; the next night, he's awful.

NewcastleKEG
04-26-2011, 12:22 AM
A few major changes occurred that put doubt in SA

- Spurs started TOO hot. The Mavs seem to do this every year, they blow their load early in the season. It's difficult to hit your stride, put it on cruise control and then turn it back on for the playoffs

- Lakers started the 2nd Half on a tear

- Thunder added a legit post player with experience

- Blazers added Wallace

Everyone knew the Spurs would be tested come playoff time because they are/were a 3 point shooting team. The Magic rode a 3point hot streak to the Finals 2 years ago and they flamed out when it mattered most.

Playoff time you have to strong inside and Spurs are too fragile in the post. Once Neal came down to Earth.....it was over