PDA

View Full Version : Could Phil Jackson make the Knicks contenders?

rayjayjohnson
04-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Not quickly enough for his liking, but I think he could over four years or so?

DontStopBelieving
04-16-2011, 01:43 AM
lol

4>0rings
04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
You ever seen Phil Jackson make a team? :lmao

He coat rides multiple hall of famers on the same team, that's his religon.

LkrFan
04-16-2011, 01:46 AM

11 > 4*

:toast

LakerHater
04-16-2011, 01:49 AM

Yup, thats the zen way!

BRHornet45
04-16-2011, 02:24 AM
LMAO at the idea of Phil Jackson "making" a team!

sure he will make them contenders as long as the team is stacked full of stars. lets see him go to Memphis or Indiana and turn them into contenders. then I'll show some respect for that overrated fuck.

Rummpd
04-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Yes definetely, as would Jerry Sloan, Pop, Riley, Larry Brown, or Karl instantly improve the Knicks = D'Antoni is the wrong coach for Melo and Amare period. It would not take 4 years more like 2 - Pop or Sloan given a team president role especially would find the missing role players to fill in. Role players, as much as stars, put teams into contention to win championships.

ChuckD
04-16-2011, 09:01 AM

This. Chicago had been to the ECFs before he took the job. The LAL had been to the WCFs before he took THAT job.

The only job I can see that would hold any interest for him would be Miami. I think that's passing interest, though. He's like 70, and tired of sitting in his high chair for 82 games a year.

dunkman
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Phil improved every team he coached, perhaps not by much, but the 3 three-peats and 1 back-to-back are very impressive.

He made a respectable playoffs run with Pippen, Kukoc and Horace Grant. Also, got Kobe to the first round, this was before Gasol, Ariza, Fisher and when Bynum was 18-19.

I think he could improve the Knicks, make some deeper runs, but I'm not sure if they would be better than the C's, Bulls, Heat and Magic.

BlackSwordsMan
04-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Saying phil only wins with good players is kinda dumb sure he had jordan,shaq and pau but hes still a good coach

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 09:46 AM
Um, Phil took over the Lakers after they made the lottery in 05 and eventually coached them to a championship.

But he alone wouldn't make the Knicks contenders. They need a center, a 3rd scoring option better than Billups, and a coach who can get them to play defense. The Lakers becoming a good defensive team was just as much Kobe busting everyone's ass as it was Phil. I'd love to see them get Larry Brown.

Giuseppe
04-16-2011, 09:51 AM
At least he doesnt threaten to quit when Duncan does.

Kyle Orton
04-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Threaten? He didn't just do that, he said it was a sure thing he was going to :lmao

Muser
04-16-2011, 09:56 AM
At least he doesnt threaten to quit when Duncan does.

That's gonna suck. Spurs lose their best player of all time + their best coach of all time. Spurfan hates Pop at times but they'll be begging for him to come back when he's gone.

Giuseppe
04-16-2011, 09:57 AM
That's gonna suck. Spurs lose their best player of all time + their best coach of all time. Spurfan hates Pop at times but they'll be begging for him to come back when he's gone.

It's an insult to Spurs Fan.

JamStone
04-16-2011, 10:00 AM
This isn't a team devoid of talent. They have two stars on offense. And a guy in Carmelo that would probably benefit greatly from playing the pivot in the triangle. I do think Phil given a couple of years could get them in a much better position to compete. Not convinced he could get them to win it all though. Getting a more structured and disciplined offense still doesn't address the issues on the defensive end. But, just to get them to be a legitimate contender, I'd say yes.

Giuseppe
04-16-2011, 10:03 AM
GIGO...Amare is a loser. Anthony is a borderline loser.

It's a fool's parade.

Frenzy
04-16-2011, 10:34 AM
Yup, thats the zen way!

:lol

xtremesteven33
04-16-2011, 10:53 AM
Phil Jackson is a great coach no doubt. Overrated? Absolutely...

Every great coach has their own way of coaching. Phil is great at dealing with players. He knows how to bring out the best in his team. I like his mental approach to games. Getting his team to embrace pressure moments and to not expect the coaching staff to bail them out. His nonchalant attitude rubs off on his teams. Again, thats his way of coaching. Weve seen it work and weve seen it fail.(Not with MJ of course).:toast Winning 11 championships has alot to do with Phillip but not all to his credit.

It takes alot of luck as we all know

namlook
04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Again, thats his way of coaching. Weve seen it work and weve seen it fail.(Not with MJ of course).:toast

Phil actually lost twice in the playoffs with Jordan.

namlook
04-16-2011, 12:57 PM
This. Chicago had been to the ECFs before he took the job. The LAL had been to the WCFs before he took THAT job.

Phil is a closer. He puts good teams over the hump and wins rings and that's what it's all about. The Lakers were swept 4-0 in the playoffs the two years before Phil arrived.

4>0rings
04-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Hello, no. That's the silver lining when Duncan leaves, Pop's dumbass leaves. Hopefully Bonner can't bear to be without him and quits the NBA.