PDA

View Full Version : Before this series gets started

fekz
06-06-2005, 11:28 PM
I want to say a few things. I am a piston fan, but each team should be elated to play on this level once again. Stern and the NBA changed the rules to discourage defensive minded teams (mainly pistons/spurs) and it backfired on them. I hope that piston fans and spurs fans alike can respectfully compete (unlike the miami heat, who had no decency and no poise, and had to eat ridiculous amounts of crow). I've been peeping out this board since game 6, and there seems to be an intelligent bunch here.

Just accepting an invitation from obi wan ginobli. Hope we can enjoy what's going to be a sensational series.

Kori Ellis
06-06-2005, 11:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. It's going to be a fun series.

Sense
06-06-2005, 11:30 PM
I want to say a few things. I am a piston fan, but each team should be elated to play on this level once again. Stern and the NBA changed the rules to discourage defensive minded teams (mainly pistons/spurs) and it backfired on them. I hope that piston fans and spurs fans alike can respectfully compete (unlike the miami heat, who had no decency and no poise, and had to eat ridiculous amounts of crow). I've been peeping out this board since game 6, and there seems to be an intelligent bunch here.

Just accepting an invitation from obi wan ginobli. Hope we can enjoy what's going to be a sensational series.

Totally agree...

Clandestino
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
detroit could barely beat a busted up shaq and wade... they will not be much of a problem for us...

ducks
06-06-2005, 11:32 PM
It Is Going To Be Funner For The Winner And That My Friend Will Not Be The Lowly East Pistons

NASHville
06-06-2005, 11:33 PM
The Suns thought they had the Spurs number.

myhc
06-06-2005, 11:38 PM
I have a lot of respect for the Pistons. It's like looking at a mirror image. Only we got some guy named Tim and another guy nicknamed El Contusion. It should be a great series.

fekz
06-06-2005, 11:38 PM
detroit could barely beat a busted up shaq and wade... they will not be much of a problem for us...

Continue to think that. Detroit played enough to win. We tend to play to our competitors level, like a kitten with a ball of yarn. Then we execute when then game gets tired. It's not very wise to believe this series will go anything short of 6 games on either side.

According to what you just said: The Lakers beat the spurs last year, and the Pistons beat the Lakers. Therefore we would be able to beat the spurs 4-1. That's simply not true, and is an unrealistic way to think of a team possibly approaching it's second title.

Each team plays differently. San antonio's offense or defense is not indentical to the Miami Heat. That could be either a plus or minus, but you can't infer that our struggles against the heat will continue against the spurs. In any case, It's going to be a great series. I can't wait until it starts.

myhc
06-06-2005, 11:40 PM
If the game is real close down the stretch, the Pistons can be lethal especially with Chauncey's free throw shooting. That guy can shoot a horrible 5-15 game but come up clutch in the 4th.

Clandestino
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Continue to think that. Detroit played enough to win. We tend to play to our competitors level, like a kitten with a ball of yarn. Then we execute when then game gets tired. It's not very wise to believe this series will go anything short of 6 games on either side.

According to what you just said: The Lakers beat the spurs last year, and the Pistons beat the Lakers. Therefore we would be able to beat the spurs 4-1. That's simply not true, and is an unrealistic way to think of a team possibly approaching it's second title.

Each team plays differently. San antonio's offense or defense is not indentical to the Miami Heat. That could be either a plus or minus, but you can't infer that our struggles against the heat will continue against the spurs. In any case, It's going to be a great series. I can't wait until it starts.

you never know.. that is why they play the games.. however, after watching detroit play this season a few times and most of their playoff games they are not very impressive.

Sense
06-06-2005, 11:43 PM

You do know the Spurs got cheated out of the WC Finals?

This is what we've been waiting for since the .4 stern call against the Spurs...

I'm sorry but I would love to prove that last year's champion could've been the Spurs.

Vashner
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
Let's deal with facts vs fantasy. We lost last year get over it.

But we will win this year. Detroit is good but they don't have a Jedi master... (manu).

fekz
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
you never know.. that is why they play the games.. however, after watching detroit play this season a few times and most of their playoff games they are not very impressive.

That same "unimpressiveness" led us to the nba finals for the second time in a row. How can you judge us based on our season performance? It isn't necessary for us to be "impressive". The fact is, we've shown we can win when facing adversity, and until San Antonio clenches the title, that statement still reigns true.

Sense
06-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Let's deal with facts vs fantasy. We lost last year get over it.

But we will win this year. Detroit is good but they don't have a Jedi master... (manu).

Talk about facts...

You are saying we will win, why don't you wait until it happens..

last year we lost by the late shotclock starting.... something that also happened to us this season....not in the playoffs against the Grizz....

We got cheated out of that win.

Clandestino
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
That same "unimpressiveness" led us to the nba finals for the second time in a row. How can you judge us based on our season performance? It isn't necessary for us to be "impressive". The fact is, we've shown we can win when facing adversity, and until San Antonio clenches the title, that statement still reigns true.

the east is weak... that is how you get to the nba finals 2 years in a row. and i'm saying, that i've seen detroit play and they don't look all that great. i expect some big wins and the series to be over in 5... definitely not 7... a sweep is more likely than a game 7..

Kori Ellis
06-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Talk about facts...

You are saying we will win, why don't you wait until it happens..

last year we lost by the late shotclock starting.... something that also happened to us this season....not in the playoffs against the Grizz....

We got cheated out of that win.

Give it a rest. The clock started as quickly as humanly possible. Fisher made a hell of a shot. If you want to get technical, the Lakers should have had around .8 on the clock because that's when Timmy's basket went through and they called timeout.

Stop crying over spilled milk.

It's a whole new (post)season.

Sense
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Give it a rest. The clock started as quickly as humanly possible. Fisher made a hell of a shot. If you want to get technical, the Lakers should have had around .8 on the clock because that's when Timmy's basket went through and they called timeout.

Stop crying over spilled milk.

It's a whole new (post)season.

I didn't make a big deal out of it..and I'm definately not crying about it.

I mentioned why we wanted this win more than they did...and even if you deny it you know you want it as bad.

fekz
06-06-2005, 11:51 PM
You do know the Spurs got cheated out of the WC Finals?

This is what we've been waiting for since the .4 stern call against the Spurs...

I'm sorry but I would love to prove that last year's champion could've been the Spurs.

As much as you would like to, there is no way that can be proven. It is a moot point, an event locked in time that can never be tampered with. I'd love to prove that last year's championship wasn't a fluke (though no championship is a fluke, theres a vast amount of skepticism towards us) myself.

Trust me, I know about being cheated out of games. Realistically we are bad for the NBA market, and a business typically makes adjustments to appeal to a more marketable region. unfortunately in the nba that means biased calls, and phantom fouls. I don't think we'll have to worry about that in this series.

zedman
06-06-2005, 11:53 PM

Bunk. He didn't say squat about last season; no matter how much ill-logic you throw at him.

fekz
06-06-2005, 11:57 PM
the east is weak... that is how you get to the nba finals 2 years in a row. and i'm saying, that i've seen detroit play and they don't look all that great. i expect some big wins and the series to be over in 5... definitely not 7... a sweep is more likely than a game 7..

So the Heat are weak? We are the defending champions, it's inevitable that we'll make it to the conference finals. Who would've eliminated us that didn't play in the ECF, or WCF? It doesn't matter how weak the east is. The fact is, we had to play against a team that would've made the WCF on the east. We could win all we want 1st and second round, but if we don't beat the heat, we don't win. If the 1st and second round plays like the hawks, but your ECF opponent is jordan and the bulls, how is that coasting? Saying the east is weak has no merit when you have to face one of the nba's most dominant teams to advance to the finals.

SPARKY
06-06-2005, 11:59 PM
A Heat team with a missing and severely hurt Wade is a weak team.

SequSpur
06-07-2005, 12:00 AM
I hope the Detroit Pistons fucking die.

Welcome to the forum.

fekz
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Bunk. He didn't say squat about last season; no matter how much ill-logic you throw at him.

"detroit could barely beat a busted up shaq and wade... they will not be much of a problem for us..."

Read what he said and you'll see its the same thing reguardless of what year it is. he basically said team a had trouble with team b, so team c should automatically win. Same thing applies if you say team C was defeated by Team B, so Team A shouldn't have a problem. It isn't ill logic, it's being realistic about an upcoming tough matchup. Bunk.

Manudona
06-07-2005, 12:04 AM

Good post fekz, welcome to the forums (I would not say our forums, is my first post! LOL)

TwoHandJam
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the forum fekz. Don't mind some of the more myopic posters here, the majority of Spurs fans respect the Pistons a hell of a lot. They just don't think they're going to win :p. It is a Spurs forum after all.

Whatever the outcome, I'm predicting a very hard fought battle for the ages. This may prove to be one of the most competitive finals in years. I can hardly wait!

Sense
06-07-2005, 01:26 AM
Welcome to the forum fekz. Don't mind some of the more myopic posters here, the majority of Spurs fans respect the Pistons a hell of a lot. They just don't think they're going to win :p. It is a Spurs forum after all.

Whatever the outcome, I'm predicting a very hard fought battle for the ages. This may prove to be one of the most competitive finals in years. I can hardly wait!

Agreed.

Obi wan Ginobili
06-07-2005, 02:29 AM
The pistons aren't playing nearly the level of defense they were last year.

That is all I have to say really.

It's good to see some cocky mofos come in here that actually have a reason for once.

Denver... Ooo we have the best record since the all star break... Smoked

Seattle... Ooo we have a crying little bitch at shooting guard and A trashman on the payroll... Smoked

Suns... Ooo we are the Suns we are smokin'... Smoked

Detroit... Ooo We are the Defending Champs!

Where's my lighter?

:smokin

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-07-2005, 02:49 AM
Detroit is good but they don't have a Jedi master... (manu).

Vashner has it spot on. Tayshaun is only a padawan Sith, but we have the real deal in our Jedi Master Manu!!! ;)

Obi wan Ginobili
06-07-2005, 03:04 AM
yeah but we have an offense to match.

SouthernFried
06-07-2005, 03:48 AM
It's nice to finally have fans from a team that can actually back them up. There is no doubt these are the best 2 teams in the NBA...and probably have been for the last 3 yrs.

It's about freakin' time they met in the Finals!

Man, this is what it's all about...Gonna be a great!

rwb
06-07-2005, 07:52 AM
I'm really looking forward to this series. It's gonna be a great matchup. Low scoring, for sure. But that's okay. I could care less about flashy stuff...I want to see some real ballin. And if Detroit thinks they can wear the Spurs down...well, I just don't see that happening. But thank goodness the two BEST teams are actually going to play. Screw the media.

duncan_21
06-07-2005, 08:11 AM
As much as you would like to, there is no way that can be proven. It is a moot point, an event locked in time that can never be tampered with. I'd love to prove that last year's championship wasn't a fluke (though no championship is a fluke, theres a vast amount of skepticism towards us) myself.

Trust me, I know about being cheated out of games. Realistically we are bad for the NBA market, and a business typically makes adjustments to appeal to a more marketable region. unfortunately in the nba that means biased calls, and phantom fouls. I don't think we'll have to worry about that in this series.

I believe you're right. It will be a relief to not have to yell at the tv everytime wade/shaq gets bailed out by the refs. If this was marketed right this is really what the casual fan should watch for basketball. You got team d and team o.

You got td scoring at will, you got manu flying to the hoop, you got sheed yelling and screaming, you got prince blocking shots and hitting 3s.

Man, salivating as I'm talking about it.

What we won't see is wade driving to the hoop turning 180 degrees, not get touched and get a call or shaq smashing his shoulder his defender and have no call.

After the sonics/suns awful reffing I'm hoping for a change.

duncan_21
06-07-2005, 08:14 AM
I hope the Detroit Pistons fucking die.

Welcome to the forum.
:rollin

Mister hostilllllity?

IX_Equilibrium
06-07-2005, 08:30 AM
If someone thinks Detroit will be an easy series, they need to get their head out of their ass.

spurs_fan_in_exile
06-07-2005, 08:35 AM
Welcome aboard fekz. For all the haters who thought Detroit lucked out to get here, they didn't, unless you think the Spurs did as well. If you watched last game then you know that what it came down to was fourth quarter execution and who could handle the pressure. Wade tried to force the issue and couldn't buy a bucket. The Pistons made it work. It reminded me of an awful lot of all the wins we had against the Suns. This is a good team and it will be a great series. And the postseason is going to be even better next year when the Suns and the Heat are both one year better and the Spurs and Pistons will be waiting for them.

Clandestino
06-07-2005, 08:44 AM
an injured shaq and wade can't carry a team... neither shaq, nor wade scoring over 30 pts willl not spell win..and it didn't... it wasn't about detroit's great execution, so much as the heat's lack of execution bc of injuries... and a key turnover by the heat that cost them this game...

in the east, everyone knew it would be detroit or miami who came out from day 1... the rest of the east was too weak to even contend. and detroit lucked out. barring any major injuries the spurs will show how weak the east was this year.

fekz
06-07-2005, 09:50 AM
an injured shaq and wade can't carry a team... neither shaq, nor wade scoring over 30 pts willl not spell win..and it didn't... it wasn't about detroit's great execution, so much as the heat's lack of execution bc of injuries... and a key turnover by the heat that cost them this game...

in the east, everyone knew it would be detroit or miami who came out from day 1... the rest of the east was too weak to even contend. and detroit lucked out. barring any major injuries the spurs will show how weak the east was this year.

Come on man, you are buying into what the media has pounded into the casual fan's head. Don't you understand that our intensity is based on our opponents performance? We've won a series in new jersey, indiana, and miami away from home, losing home court advantage and felt no pressure. had shaq and wade been healthy, the pistons would've stepped it up a notch and still beat them. For some, the playoffs is a different animal. For championship teams like the pistons (and spurs), the finals are a different animal, and in two days, you'll see exactly what I mean. You'll see your big fish little fish theory shattered.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Sure, yet Detroit's offense is relatively weaker when compared to the Spurs'. No amount of 'turning up the intensity' is going to make up for that.

theMUHMEshow
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM

HAHAHAHAAHA

HAHAHAHAAHA

And you let Seattle without ONE OF THEIR ALL STARS take 2 games from you! We however, went 7 games with the team that had the 2nd best record in the league!

Run your mouth...but the champs are now here!

ZappaFan
06-07-2005, 10:13 AM
This is the finals. You can't really look at how teams did against previous match-ups and say with certainty how they'll match up in subsequent rounds. How the Pistons did against the Heat and how the Spurs did against the Suns doesn't mean much in regards to how we'll match up against each other. There's too much ebb and flow even within a series let alone from series to series. Momentum in one series doesn't carry over to the next series. Each series is a totally seperate beast.

Just look at the way the Heat totally dominated their first two round opponents. The Pistons had pretty competitive series from the get-go. Everybody was saying, "...if the Pistons have that much trouble with Philly/Indy how are they going to handle Miami who just got done sweeping the floor with their first two opponents?".

It's all about match-ups. I think Spurs/Pistons is the best possible match-up, across the board, that the NBA could have hoped for. The two best defenses. The two best coaches. The two best starting five's (with no apologies to the no-defense starting five in Phoenix).

Can't wait till they lace 'em up!

And I'm on vacation in a cabin in the Smokey Mountains all next week. Good thing it has a wide screen TV! I know for sure how at least part of my vacation is going to be spent!!

Good luck everybody!

fekz
06-07-2005, 11:28 AM
This is the finals. You can't really look at how teams did against previous match-ups and say with certainty how they'll match up in subsequent rounds. How the Pistons did against the Heat and how the Spurs did against the Suns doesn't mean much in regards to how we'll match up against each other. There's too much ebb and flow even within a series let alone from series to series. Momentum in one series doesn't carry over to the next series. Each series is a totally seperate beast.

Just look at the way the Heat totally dominated their first two round opponents. The Pistons had pretty competitive series from the get-go. Everybody was saying, "...if the Pistons have that much trouble with Philly/Indy how are they going to handle Miami who just got done sweeping the floor with their first two opponents?".

It's all about match-ups. I think Spurs/Pistons is the best possible match-up, across the board, that the NBA could have hoped for. The two best defenses. The two best coaches. The two best starting five's (with no apologies to the no-defense starting five in Phoenix).

Can't wait till they lace 'em up!

And I'm on vacation in a cabin in the Smokey Mountains all next week. Good thing it has a wide screen TV! I know for sure how at least part of my vacation is going to be spent!!

Good luck everybody!

Well said, it really is about match-ups, and one match up is totally different from another.

nkdlunch
06-07-2005, 11:31 AM
We however, went 7 games with the team that had the 2nd best record in the league!

:lmao :lmao Eastern Conference :lmao

fekz
06-07-2005, 11:34 AM
:lmao :lmao Eastern Conference :lmao

Man, some of you cats are naive just like the Lakers were. It's funny to see a "how can these mere bums beat us kings" attitude even after we won the championship. We'll see how long you'll be on the floor laughing.

SPARKY
06-07-2005, 11:37 AM
Man, some of you cats are naive just like the Lakers were. It's funny to see a "how can these mere bums beat us kings" attitude even after we won the championship. We'll see how long you'll be on the floor laughing.

I would say the naitivity of the Pistons fan base is on full display in this forum now. Detroit has yet to face a total defense like the Spurs. Detroit fan doesn't even know how to say Ginobili let alone spell it.

Hanging your hat on beating a disentegrating Laker team that lost its starting 4 last year is a bit much.

Get off my nuts and tell your bitch to come here.

nkdlunch
06-07-2005, 11:38 AM

I didn't say that. This will be our toughest series. My point was that it means nothing that you beat the team w/2nd best record, 'cause that team was in the weak ass Eastern Conference.

td4mvp21
06-07-2005, 11:41 AM

Im sure thats what New Jersey fans were saying two years ago after they swept through the semi finals and conference finals while we were still battling a team without its star player. Pistons aren't going to be easy. Its going to six games, no matter who wins. Their defense is the toughest in the league. Im not saying we are gonna lose because I don't think that, but the Pistons have been there and done that just like us.

CosmicCowboy
06-07-2005, 11:43 AM
This is gonna be a strange finals. Two teams going head to head that are accustomed to getting jobbed by the refs in favor of whatever media darling they are playing...hopefully they will just let them play and the refs will be a non-factor...

One of the best quarters of NBA basketball I have ever seen was the second quarter of the second Spurs/Pistons game this year (after Tim hurt his ankle)...

Two evenly matched teams executing flawlessly on offense and playing hard on defense and just generally playing great ball...

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
06-07-2005, 12:01 PM
I would say the naitivity of the Pistons fan base is on full display in this forum now. Detroit has yet to face a total defense like the Spurs. Detroit fan doesn't even know how to say Ginobili let alone spell it.

Hanging your hat on beating a disentegrating Laker team that lost its starting 4 last year is a bit much.

Get off my nuts and tell your bitch to come here.

And when have the Spurs faced a total team defense like the Pistons?

And isn't that the same Laker team that took out the Spurs?

JO, Shaq and Wade were hurt. As were Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Radmanovic and Allen. What's your point?

TNT21
06-07-2005, 12:03 PM
The pistons aren't playing nearly the level of defense they were last year.

That is all I have to say really.

It's good to see some cocky mofos come in here that actually have a reason for once.

Denver... Ooo we have the best record since the all star break... Smoked

Seattle... Ooo we have a crying little bitch at shooting guard and A trashman on the payroll... Smoked

Suns... Ooo we are the Suns we are smokin'... Smoked

Detroit... Ooo We are the Defending Champs!

Where's my lighter?

:smokin

Damn, I couldn't have said it any better!!

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 12:18 PM
And when have the Spurs faced a total team defense like the Pistons?

And isn't that the same Laker team that took out the Spurs?

JO, Shaq and Wade were hurt. As were Joe Johnson, Rashard Lewis, Radmanovic and Allen. What's your point?

So are Duncan, Ginobili, Parker, Nesterovic, Brown and Horry...your point?

Clandestino
06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
detroit barely a weak indiana team w/o their defensive all-star.. who cares?

fact is, i've been watching detroit play and the spurs are going to show how weak the eastern conference is.

06-07-2005, 12:22 PM
That everybody's injured this time of year, including the Pistons. Nobody is 100%.

06-07-2005, 12:28 PM

fact is, i've been watching detroit play and the spurs are going to show how weak the eastern conference is.

Fact is, I've been watching the Spurs play and I am not that impressed. Seattle almost took them to 7 without Rashard and Radmanovic and that's the only team that they've played with any semblance of defense...

The Spurs are good and so are the Pistons. Look for low scoring games with the team the wins the rebounding and TO differential to win the series.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 12:29 PM
That everybody's injured this time of year, including the Pistons. Nobody is 100%.

Which was the point of the previous poster you asked about as well.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Fact is, I've been watching the Spurs play and I am not that impressed. Seattle almost took them to 7

almost?
yall almost got beat by mia with an injured shaq and wade, thats their whole fucking team

fekz
06-07-2005, 12:34 PM

If that's all you can say, there's no point of continuing this discussion.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Fact is, I've been watching the Spurs play and I am not that impressed.

just as weak as this take. All he did was copy Clan and switch the teams.

AlamoSpursFan
06-07-2005, 12:36 PM
And you let Seattle without ONE OF THEIR ALL STARS take 2 games from you! We however, went 7 games with the team that had the 2nd best record in the league!

I can't believe this was allowed to slide.

Y'all went 7 games with the team that TIED for the second best record in the league. WITH US!

And we just made fools out of the team with the BEST record.

What point were you trying to make, exactly?

06-07-2005, 12:39 PM
That's why it means nothing. They won, as did the Spurs. You win and lose with who is out on the floor. Sure, a healthy Shaq and Wade might have changed the series. But so might of a healthy Joe Johnson or Rashard Lewis. We'll never know.

I don't discredit what the Spurs have done against teams with injured starters, but why do most fans discredit what the Pistons have done?

06-07-2005, 12:40 PM
just as weak as this take. All he did was copy Clan and switch the teams.

Which would mean the original take was weak, which was my point.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Sure, a healthy Shaq and Wade might have changed the series. But so might of a healthy Joe Johnson or Rashard Lewis. We'll never know.

shaq and wade = joe johnson
shaq and wade = rashard lewis

i see

06-07-2005, 12:45 PM
shaq and wade = joe johnson
shaq and wade = rashard lewis

i see

Where did I say that? But to say that the Suns or Sonics didn't miss those guys anymore than the Heat did Wade is assassine. They all were integral parts of their respective teams, not bench players.

weebo
06-07-2005, 12:46 PM
NOTE TO ALL SPURS FANS: The Pistons are still the champs. Until we knock them off, give the champs some cred.

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Which would mean the original take was weak, which was my point.

Two weak takes do not a strong take make.

You win and lose with who is out on the floor. That, however, is a great take.

Oh and you did discredit the Spurs. But that is ok....you are welcome to do so.

mookie2001
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
you are comparing shaq and wade injuries together to joe johnson and rashard lewis' individually, thats bullshit. there is a difference in talent

06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
My point is that we'll never know. How can you say that the Pistons would have lost to a healthy Heat team? You can't, because it's never been proven.

A healthy Heat team has a better chance of beating the Pistons than say a healthy Sonics team does the Spurs. But that doesn't automatically mean the Heat win and the Sonics lose. We'll never know...

samikeyp
06-07-2005, 01:15 PM
But that doesn't automatically mean the Heat win and the Sonics lose.

or vice versa

06-07-2005, 01:18 PM
Right, forget that part...

I still say rebounding(2nd chance points) and turnovers decide this series.

AlamoSpursFan
06-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Right, forget that part...

I still say rebounding(2nd chance points) and turnovers decide this series.

If that's the case then I'm changing my high scorer prediction to Nazr Mohammed, 46

:lol